Author Topic: KU Basketball is Hurting  (Read 76239 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Re: KU Basketball is Hurting
« Reply #750 on: April 07, 2021, 02:40:22 PM »
I’m uncomfortable with how similar this is getting to the post Tom Osborne era of NU football.  :frown:

Online KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 07, 2021, 04:53:42 PM »
I'm not sure what psychology term is used for people with egos so sensitive they become blind to the obvious, but I wish I did so I could use it now and look smart - ish.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 07, 2021, 05:20:24 PM »
I took for granted KU being good at basketball, now it’s gone.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Katpak'r
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 07, 2021, 08:06:08 PM »
I'm not sure what psychology term is used for people with egos so sensitive they become blind to the obvious, but I wish I did so I could use it now and look smart - ish.

The term cognitive dissonance comes to mind but there’s probably a more precise term

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 08, 2021, 10:48:02 AM »
It's really kind of amazing (but not surprising) to see Phogistan still tied to the extremely old school seating capacity dogma.  A model that has long since sailed in both the collegiate and professional facilities design/consulting/marketing.

I can assure you that if KU Basketball gets blasted by the NCAA and certain things unfold.  You'll be able to fire howitzers full of birdshot into parts of AFH and not hit anybody during a game.

This.  Guarantee that if Texas gets to winning that smaller arena will make more than any in Big 12 with the limited seats leading to higher prices

Yes.

Nothing says we're not committed to basketball like an expenditure on a single facility that will cost more money than the entirety of KU's investment in athletics facilities . . . ever.

If my calculations are correct, KU is a distant last in total facilities investment in the Big 12 over the last 15 years.   I'm not even going to count Rock Chalk Park becauses KU athletics didn't pay for it, and they're engaged in an embarrassing and  :lol: lease arrangement on that cookie cutter gener-o any suburbia USA facility.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Distinguished Scholar/Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 08, 2021, 11:25:21 AM »
How much of Texas's new arena is actually being paid for by the school or AD tho? I thought the city was chipping in a bunch, as it will also be used as a public event venue.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 08, 2021, 11:36:21 AM »
How much of Texas's new arena is actually being paid for by the school or AD tho? I thought the city was chipping in a bunch, as it will also be used as a public event venue.

I believe originally a developer/property group/investment group (honestly not sure how to describe it) was paying for it/building it and would get all profits for a certain amount of time, then there would be profit sharing with UT after.

But then, the Moody Foundation donated like half the cost to UT to chip in for the Arena and I believe a new basketball practice facility... so I'm not really sure how any of it works now.

I do know it's everything I would want in a facility at K-State (we probably wouldn't even need the upper deck option to expand seating for events.)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Distinguished Scholar/Gentleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 08, 2021, 01:00:26 PM »
Yeah, the original renderings looked awesome. Not sure if the design has changed since. Definitely an upgrade over the Drum.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 08, 2021, 02:21:21 PM »

I believe originally a developer/property group/investment group (honestly not sure how to describe it) was paying for it/building it and would get all profits for a certain amount of time, then there would be profit sharing with UT after.

But then, the Moody Foundation donated like half the cost to UT to chip in for the Arena and I believe a new basketball practice facility... so I'm not really sure how any of it works now.

I do know it's everything I would want in a facility at K-State (we probably wouldn't even need the upper deck option to expand seating for events.)

That thing is hot af

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 08, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »

The upper deck thing is fascinating to me. Is it actually "expandable" or will they be tarping that sucker?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 09, 2021, 12:20:36 PM »
I know there are other threads for stupid unrealistic facilities dreams, but I have always thought that revaming Ahearn to hold 8K or so would be fun, and make over half of it student seating...completely encircle the floor with first level student section and make a small upper deck almost all luxury seating and club for alumni who cough up cash. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 09, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
$130 million from Moody Foundation.

So that alone is:  Anderson Football Complex, new indoor facility and all recent renovations to AFH combined over the last decade.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 12, 2021, 09:44:23 AM »
I know there are other threads for stupid unrealistic facilities dreams, but I have always thought that revaming Ahearn to hold 8K or so would be fun, and make over half of it student seating...completely encircle the floor with first level student section and make a small upper deck almost all luxury seating and club for alumni who cough up cash.

I'm pony up some serious dough for a chance to watch a basketball game in Ahearn again. Bramlage is obviously a superior venue, and I wouldn't want a conference game in there, but I think it would be really neat to have 1 or 2 OOC games a year in Ahearn.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 12, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
Guys, Ahearn is a dumpy piece of trash, you don’t actually want that.
:adios:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 12, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »

Let the olds drop $250 or whatever for a ticket to see the Cats play Fort Hays State in Ahearn. Its a win win situation.

Online 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 12, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »

Let the olds drop $250 or whatever for a ticket to see the Cats play Fort Hays State in Ahearn. Its a win win situation.
Actually, recent history suggests that we lose that game
:adios:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 12, 2021, 01:07:53 PM »
Yeah, this would definitely need to occur in the post-Weber bball era

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 12, 2021, 05:33:19 PM »

And you could most likely build a new replica of it in the parking lot east of the BTF for the same amount you'd need to pump into Ahearn to make it inhabitable.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 12, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »
A LOT of rough ridin' blasphemy on this blog nowadays.   :don'tcare:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 12, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
Yeah, it’s a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 13, 2021, 03:56:54 AM »

I'm pony up some serious dough for a chance to watch a basketball game in Ahearn again.

You're way older than I thought

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 13, 2021, 07:30:17 AM »

I'm pony up some serious dough for a chance to watch a basketball game in Ahearn again.

You're way older than I thought

Nope, this is one of those lost in text type translations.

I have never seen a basketball game in Ahearn. I would love to have the opportunity to see a basketball game in Ahearn, should K-State men's basketball play there like they did in the past.

That's how I meant my previous post to read.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:04 AM »
Bramlage is in the absolute best location a basketball arena can be in MHK/on the K-State campus, especially being connected to the SEZ now.

There's plenty that can be done to make it not Bramlagey anymore. Hopefully they get really creative.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 13, 2021, 08:33:48 AM »
It’s already a million times better than shitty, falling apart, and smelly afh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 13, 2021, 09:33:27 AM »
when did volleyball stop using Ahearn?  Turning it into an elite VB facility for 3 to 4k fans seems like a great use of a historic building.  Playing a couple years of weekend BB noncons there would command premium ticket prices for at least a few seasons even with the current state of oscar's program.