Author Topic: KU Basketball is Hurting  (Read 161060 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: KU Basketball is Hurting
« Reply #750 on: April 08, 2021, 02:21:21 PM »
How much of Texas's new arena is actually being paid for by the school or AD tho? I thought the city was chipping in a bunch, as it will also be used as a public event venue.

I believe originally a developer/property group/investment group (honestly not sure how to describe it) was paying for it/building it and would get all profits for a certain amount of time, then there would be profit sharing with UT after.

But then, the Moody Foundation donated like half the cost to UT to chip in for the Arena and I believe a new basketball practice facility... so I'm not really sure how any of it works now.

I do know it's everything I would want in a facility at K-State (we probably wouldn't even need the upper deck option to expand seating for events.)

That thing is hot af

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 08, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »
How much of Texas's new arena is actually being paid for by the school or AD tho? I thought the city was chipping in a bunch, as it will also be used as a public event venue.

I believe originally a developer/property group/investment group (honestly not sure how to describe it) was paying for it/building it and would get all profits for a certain amount of time, then there would be profit sharing with UT after.

But then, the Moody Foundation donated like half the cost to UT to chip in for the Arena and I believe a new basketball practice facility... so I'm not really sure how any of it works now.

I do know it's everything I would want in a facility at K-State (we probably wouldn't even need the upper deck option to expand seating for events.)

The upper deck thing is fascinating to me. Is it actually "expandable" or will they be tarping that sucker?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 09, 2021, 12:20:36 PM »
I know there are other threads for stupid unrealistic facilities dreams, but I have always thought that revaming Ahearn to hold 8K or so would be fun, and make over half of it student seating...completely encircle the floor with first level student section and make a small upper deck almost all luxury seating and club for alumni who cough up cash. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 09, 2021, 01:16:25 PM »
$130 million from Moody Foundation.

So that alone is:  Anderson Football Complex, new indoor facility and all recent renovations to AFH combined over the last decade.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 12, 2021, 09:44:23 AM »
I know there are other threads for stupid unrealistic facilities dreams, but I have always thought that revaming Ahearn to hold 8K or so would be fun, and make over half of it student seating...completely encircle the floor with first level student section and make a small upper deck almost all luxury seating and club for alumni who cough up cash.

I'm pony up some serious dough for a chance to watch a basketball game in Ahearn again. Bramlage is obviously a superior venue, and I wouldn't want a conference game in there, but I think it would be really neat to have 1 or 2 OOC games a year in Ahearn.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 12, 2021, 11:54:42 AM »
Guys, Ahearn is a dumpy piece of trash, you don’t actually want that.
:adios:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 12, 2021, 12:25:13 PM »

Let the olds drop $250 or whatever for a ticket to see the Cats play Fort Hays State in Ahearn. Its a win win situation.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 12, 2021, 12:50:24 PM »

Let the olds drop $250 or whatever for a ticket to see the Cats play Fort Hays State in Ahearn. Its a win win situation.
Actually, recent history suggests that we lose that game
:adios:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 12, 2021, 01:07:53 PM »
Yeah, this would definitely need to occur in the post-Weber bball era

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 12, 2021, 05:33:19 PM »

And you could most likely build a new replica of it in the parking lot east of the BTF for the same amount you'd need to pump into Ahearn to make it inhabitable.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 12, 2021, 06:01:55 PM »
A LOT of rough ridin' blasphemy on this blog nowadays.   :don'tcare:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 12, 2021, 06:06:35 PM »
Yeah, it’s a pipe dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2021, 03:56:54 AM »

I'm pony up some serious dough for a chance to watch a basketball game in Ahearn again.

You're way older than I thought

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 13, 2021, 07:30:17 AM »

I'm pony up some serious dough for a chance to watch a basketball game in Ahearn again.

You're way older than I thought

Nope, this is one of those lost in text type translations.

I have never seen a basketball game in Ahearn. I would love to have the opportunity to see a basketball game in Ahearn, should K-State men's basketball play there like they did in the past.

That's how I meant my previous post to read.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 13, 2021, 08:27:04 AM »
Bramlage is in the absolute best location a basketball arena can be in MHK/on the K-State campus, especially being connected to the SEZ now.

There's plenty that can be done to make it not Bramlagey anymore. Hopefully they get really creative.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 13, 2021, 08:33:48 AM »
It’s already a million times better than shitty, falling apart, and smelly afh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 13, 2021, 09:33:27 AM »
when did volleyball stop using Ahearn?  Turning it into an elite VB facility for 3 to 4k fans seems like a great use of a historic building.  Playing a couple years of weekend BB noncons there would command premium ticket prices for at least a few seasons even with the current state of oscar's program.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 13, 2021, 09:51:39 AM »
when did volleyball stop using Ahearn?  Turning it into an elite VB facility for 3 to 4k fans seems like a great use of a historic building.  Playing a couple years of weekend BB noncons there would command premium ticket prices for at least a few seasons even with the current state of oscar's program.

The money it would take to do required upgrades to host anything of substance in Ahearn is enormous from what I've heard.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 13, 2021, 02:39:42 PM »

The money it would take to do required upgrades to host anything of substance in Ahearn is enormous from what I've heard.

seems like gene taylor could just release that information and not keep it a guarded secret but he seems to suck bad enough as an AD that he doesn't need any advice from me

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 13, 2021, 02:54:45 PM »
As someone who's actually been in Ahearn this year canco it's hot garb in there and would need a ton of money just to be ADA compatible.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 13, 2021, 03:04:25 PM »
Gene needs to pay a bodyguard that will muzzle anyone who mentions Ahearn in his presence. The mere act of listening to any idea about Ahearn is incredibly expensive for the entire university. The only viable option here is to put up a fence around it, cover it with a giant drop cloth, and pretend that it doesn't even exist.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 13, 2021, 06:34:29 PM »
A lot of you need to look up goal number 12.  NO self limitations.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 13, 2021, 07:18:36 PM »
What if we filled ahearn with water? Boom natatorium issue solved!

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 13, 2021, 09:12:06 PM »
Put dirt on the floor of the building, put out a raised floor, hang an Every Man A Wildcat banner somewhere and let everyone smokes cigs in the building for a night.

Boom. Ahearn remembered.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 13, 2021, 10:02:37 PM »

Edgy people on this blog trash this Ahearn pipe dream but I have it too. Yes Ahearn sucks. Yes it's hot garbage and would be exorbitantly expensive to revamp. But arenas with history are cool too every once in a while for a small handful of non-con games a year, 'specially for those of us townie qat fans who are of the age where we just barely missed seeing a game in legendary 'hearn but grew up with everyone we know telling us how incredible it was. We all want luxury suites and jumbotrons long-term, but eff it...if we're playing Southern Utah, I'd stomach ancient and decrepit facilities to be able to enjoy a little history I missed out on. Especially if we use the old 1960s-era scoreboard where the game clock appeared to be an actual clock. You got a problem with my Ahearn pipe dream? Meet me up on the weird rafter/catwalk/press area (???) thing and we can settle this the way Dick Knostman and Lew Hitch would've.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 10:10:07 PM by SkinnyBenny »
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12