Author Topic: Bill Tribute Thread For Sentimental Qatz To Share Fun Memzys (No gE'ing Allowed)  (Read 31604 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
I just watched the Miracle in Manhattan. Man early Bill was such a fierce competitor with a huge chip on his shoulder. That carried over through all those 1.0 teams and how they played. Sam's account of Bill going after the press was in there and it was fun to watch.

This was interesting to me as well. So accustomed to his boring news conferences now that i was  :horrorsurprise: during those parts
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
I just watched the Miracle in Manhattan. Man early Bill was such a fierce competitor with a huge chip on his shoulder. That carried over through all those 1.0 teams and how they played. Sam's account of Bill going after the press was in there and it was fun to watch.

It’s a really nice refresher of how fiery he was back in the day. Really enjoyed it.

You just know that response to some smug question regarding juco guys.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Love you LHC Bill Snyder and all of your Snyder Things.

https://twitter.com/33KSU/status/1069646791459696641

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile

Offline POWL

• Combo-Fan
  • just sayin....
    • View Profile
 :sdeek:
Beems 2015 - "Honestly, I'd be surprised if this message board survived another five years."

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
Highs: Big XII Championship Game at Arrowhead to defeat "The Greatest Football Team of All Time" WOW! what a game. The first Nebraska win (Holthus' "let my people go" quote was timely and funny). The BLAZIN' MF'ing heat at Arrowhead when we played Iowa (I'll never forgive them for ruining David Allen). The USC games (in LA AND in Manhappiness) - ugly, but exciting! The whole Colin Klein senior season. Lots of bowling. So MANY amazing players and getting to watch them in live action: Locketts (all of them), Buhl, Simoneau, Leber, Pierce, Bishop, Quincy Morgan, Darren Sproles, Ell, etc. etc. etc.

Lows: Lots of bowl losses. The knife to my heart of sitting Ell (and not giving him his bowl ring!). Being on an airplane and unable to watch or follow the 1998 Big XII Championship Game, my utter disbelief talking to my wife on a PAY PHONE (!) from O'Hare to learn that we couldn't hold on to a 4th Quarter Lead. ANY and all losses to Iowa State (I mean, come ON! - especially this most recent 4th qtr meltdown). THE loss to Baylor to knock us out of #1 (I hate Art Briles). The sickening feeling of losing our key assistants to OU after the '98 season. The loss to Fresno State at home.

This truly IS the end of an era. (I hope we don't EF it up this time)  :ksu:  :emawkid:
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
I know the title says "no GEing," but I can't resist the Memzy part of the title. https://flic.kr/p/5XyacU
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Online Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The first 3 fun memzys I thought of have already been mentioned (2003 Conf Champy, beating Nebraska, The Shrug) so I'll just say:  Making K State football a thing. 

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
When I was in 8th grade, Bill came to our school to talk at an assembly for some reason or another. Dunno. Anyway, at the end of the assembly he took a few questions from some students. At some point, some shithead middle schooler got the mic and asked, "Are you finally gonna beat Nebraska this year?" or "Are you ever gonna beat Nebraska?" or some other shitty question phrased as a gotcha. Bill took it in stride, didn't flinch, and said some kinda non-committal answer like "we're certainly gonna try." And then shortly thereafter he proceeded to whoop that Nebraska ass on a regular basis.
 :billdance:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
growing up in mhk I have two stories and some thoughts...

when I was a really little kid-mid 80's, my friends dad was an mhk teacher and also down on the field during games for some reason. he would give us a stack of papers which i'm guess were misprints or overprints from the teachers lounge and we would go to the top of the crappy NE bleachers, make paper airplanes out of them and them let them rip. there was nobody within one hundred feet of us (seriously) and we would just make all sorts of different kinds/designs and let them go. had a couple actually make it onto the field during a game. that was pretty exciting. that was before bill.

bills first few years and all the years before that, they would let you in at halftime for free. during what I think was the 1991 ku/state game, a friend and I didn't have tickets but wanted to watch the first half. we climbed on top of what was vanier at the time and walked across the roof to the field side and then watched the entire first quarter there. then other people followed us up and soon there were twenty people sitting on top of vanier watching the game. security finally came and asked us to get down. we went to the closest gate and said can you just let us in? the guy was like, yeah sure just go. nobody cares. it was about two minutes into the second quarter.

-----------------

kstate football was so ridiculously non important and uncool before bill showed up. maybe somebody else could've done what he did but I doubt it. it went from being "lets see if we can get a plane onto the field" and "yeah go in nobody cares, go in" to being "the thing" two years later. I had more great kstate football stories during my time there and afterwards then I can even think to put into writing. most were in mhk but a lot were on the road and those are memories and experiences that can never be taken away.  my college time at kstate was approximately 300% better because of bill and i'm not even kidding. I can't explain how great it was to have your freshman season be that first bowl game against Wyoming and then get better every single year. it was an incredible ride up and kstate would have won a national championship sometime between 1998-2003 if the whole stoops to OU thing never happened. if bob would've just stayed at florida for an extra couple of years....

i've never shook hands or said a word to bill in person but hot dang it was a good ride, tons of fun and what more could anyone have really hoped for? I guess i'll let him know the next time I see him out at dillons or wherever.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:13:21 PM by Dr Rick Daris »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile

when I was a really little kid-mid 80's, my friends dad was an mhk teacher and also down on the field during games for some reason. he would give us a stack of papers which i'm guess were misprints or overprints from the teachers lounge and we would go to the top of the crappy NE bleachers, make paper airplanes out of them and them let them rip. there was nobody within one hundred feet of us (seriously) and we would just make all sorts of different kinds/designs and let them go. had a couple actually make it onto the field during a game. that was pretty exciting. that was before bill.

bills first few years and all the years before that, they would let you in at halftime for free. during what I think was the 1991 ku/state game, a friend and I didn't have tickets but wanted to watch the first half. we climbed on top of what was vanier at the time and walked across the roof to the field side and then watched the entire first quarter there. then other people followed us up and soon there were twenty people sitting on top of vanier watching the game. security finally came and asked us to get down. we went to the closest gate and said can you just let us in? the guy was like, yeah sure just go. nobody cares. it was about two minutes into the second quarter.

-----------------

kstate football was so ridiculously non important and uncool before bill showed up. maybe somebody else could've done what he did but I doubt it. it went from being "yeah go in nobody cares, go in" to being "the thing" two years later. I have more great kstate football stories during my time there and afterwards then I can even think to put to writing and my college time at kstate years were approximately 300% better because of bill and i'm not even kidding. I can't explain how great it was to have your freshman season be that first bowl game against Wyoming and then get better every single year. it was an incredible ride up and kstate would have won a national championship sometime between 1998-2003 if the whole stoops to OU thing never happened. if bob would've just stayed at florida for an extra couple of years.... i've never shook hands or said a word to bill in person but hot dang it was a good ride.

I was in school 94-99 and it was a joy to rush to the Seaton computer lab about 10am to check the rankings and see if we still had the #1 defense in the country, or what our ranking was.    I still have a fuzzy spot in my memory of a certain trip to STL in 98, but I have a lot of good memories and experiences - from frying a turkey on Fox Sports prebig 12 game vs OU to the mistake of booking airfare from the upper deck of the Dome then having to call the next day and cancel it.

So long and thanks for all the fish Bill.

Offline Blackcats

• I Know Stuff You Don't
  • Combo-Fan
  • LOUD NOISES!
    • View Profile
I would give anything to have Coach call a presser when he returns from New York, walk out, tell the Golden Telephone joke one last time, and then walk off stage.
BlackCats does it right and is clearly a good person. - Steve Dave
BlackCats is a vital member of this blogging community, and a close personal friend of mine. -meow meow
I yearn for your nuggets. - Shooter Jones

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

-----------------

kstate football was so ridiculously non important and uncool before bill showed up. maybe somebody else could've done what he did but I doubt it. it went from being "lets see if we can get a plane onto the field" and "yeah go in nobody cares, go in" to being "the thing" two years later. I had more great kstate football stories during my time there and afterwards then I can even think to put into writing. most were in mhk but a lot were on the road and those are memories and experiences that can never be taken away.  my college time at kstate was approximately 300% better because of bill and i'm not even kidding. I can't explain how great it was to have your freshman season be that first bowl game against Wyoming and then get better every single year. it was an incredible ride up and kstate would have won a national championship sometime between 1998-2003 if the whole stoops to OU thing never happened. if bob would've just stayed at florida for an extra couple of years....

i've never shook hands or said a word to bill in person but hot dang it was a good ride, tons of fun and what more could anyone have really hoped for? I guess i'll let him know the next time I see him out at dillons or wherever.

I lived in Jardine as a kid from 89-91 and my friend and I would walk over to every game at halftime. I was like 9 years old.  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When I attended my sister's graduation from K-State, I remember seeing Bill sitting alone, 3/4 of the way up the bleachers. Would have been 2012 or 2013 I think. Anyways, I thought it was cool that he made it there to see his players graduate.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
I would give anything to have Coach call a presser when he returns from New York, walk out, tell the Golden Telephone joke one last time, and then walk off stage.

Elaborate.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i really enjoy all of the thank you notes to bill on twitter.  much more than he ever will since he won't ever see them. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
"If you lose it... you are 9-1. And if you win it, you're still undefeated. That's... that's about where it lies."

-before '98 Nubb. Always thought that was an awesome quote.

Offline HoustonCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
1993 season I was a senior working in the sports information office and it became clear pretty quick that this team was going to be different. A few memories from that season...

Friday afternoon before the first game, we are putting game programs and game notes in all the suites (brand new press box and suites!) during walk-through and Snyder spots us sitting in one of the suites and promptly sends a low-level staffer to find out who we were. Every game after that, we loaded the suites on Saturday morning.

I got to travel to the Iowa State game (freaking streaker) and I am in the locker room post-game and Chad May just keeps talking and talking with the media. I feel a hand on my shoulder and its LHCBS, who points at May and tells me "Shut him up and get him out of here."  I gave the media a "thank you boys, but Chad has to go" and off we went. Side note, we got to Des Moines and the charter plane wasn't there yet. I was grateful to be in bus #3 because I heard Snyder was chewing people out left and right.

Finally, each Tuesday before the weekly press conference, I got to load up a bag of Arby's (including a cherry turnover) and take it to Coach in his office. He was always watching film and never once saw me, but always thanked me for bringing it in.

Twenty-five years later I still consider that season one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
1993 season I was a senior working in the sports information office and it became clear pretty quick that this team was going to be different. A few memories from that season...

Friday afternoon before the first game, we are putting game programs and game notes in all the suites (brand new press box and suites!) during walk-through and Snyder spots us sitting in one of the suites and promptly sends a low-level staffer to find out who we were. Every game after that, we loaded the suites on Saturday morning.

I got to travel to the Iowa State game (freaking streaker) and I am in the locker room post-game and Chad May just keeps talking and talking with the media. I feel a hand on my shoulder and its LHCBS, who points at May and tells me "Shut him up and get him out of here."  I gave the media a "thank you boys, but Chad has to go" and off we went. Side note, we got to Des Moines and the charter plane wasn't there yet. I was grateful to be in bus #3 because I heard Snyder was chewing people out left and right.

Finally, each Tuesday before the weekly press conference, I got to load up a bag of Arby's (including a cherry turnover) and take it to Coach in his office. He was always watching film and never once saw me, but always thanked me for bringing it in.

Twenty-five years later I still consider that season one of my favorites.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elite restaurant choice. I like to imagine Bill saying, "I'll take 2 Big Montana's, curly fries, cup of cheddar on the side, and a cherry turnover."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Did they have the pick 5 back then?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I could totally crush some Arby's rn. On a related note, it's really something that Snyder has lived this long, given his lifestyle. Hopefully football wasn't the only thing sustaining his life force.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile

Hmm, no MHK Taco Bell yet?
:adios:

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
During a KSUMB banquet in 1993 we had an open seat at our table and Bill showed up and sat next to us.

In 2.0 when I started working at the University if Bill would see me in the hallways at Vanier he would always inquire what I was doing, only to feign interest once I started rambling on about wifi or whatever it was I was tackling that day.  "I don't know anything about that" he would say on more than one occasion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Did they have the pick 5 back then?

of course it was.  and it was actually $5 for 5.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Hmm, no MHK Taco Bell yet?
canco he ate mhk tb in 1993