Author Topic: Bill Tribute Thread For Sentimental Qatz To Share Fun Memzys (No gE'ing Allowed)  (Read 31603 times)

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Does Carl Straw gets the respect he deserves. The dude took a beating and just kept coming back.
Is that Dave “wow” Armstrong on the play-by-play call?

[tweet]1545173623887089665[/tweet]?s=20&t=MFjUEG9Toaip_3Ac0-zR0g
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:44:14 PM by HugeCat »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Does Carl Straw gets the respect he deserves. The dude took a beating and just kept coming back.

Fast fact alert- pat “action” jackson was more than like not nicknamed “action” because of what he did on the field and was in fact nailing multiple girls in my neighborhood growing up including my buddies aunt.

Online Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Fast fact alert- pat “action” jackson was more than like not nicknamed “action” because of what he did on the field and was in fact nailing multiple girls in my neighborhood growing up including my buddies aunt.

This is the type of content that keeps my monthly premium subscription going!  I do have a fun memzy of Snyder 1.0 to add.  '94 was my first year at K State.  Back then it was like bizarro world to see the KSU Cats football team improve and play well and make it to a bowl game.  Sometime during that first semester my dad said "Hey if K State makes it to a bowl we should go to it" and I'm like "Great idea, I'm down."  So when that Aloha Bowl bid dropped in my dad was all "Well uhhhh I figured it would be somewhere we could drive or have a short flight to" and I told him "Yeah man that's what I thought it would be too, we don't have to go clear to Hawaii for this" but I still give him crap about it every now and then.   :D

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Stumbled upon this in a twitter thread about the best classic network sports theme music.  A fun memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej15cvxtdY4&t=1s

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Stumbled upon this in a twitter thread about the best classic network sports theme music.  A fun memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej15cvxtdY4&t=1s

i have 2 questions:

1. at about the 0:12 mark when they cut to the crowd shot, was that BTK?
2. what's a circuit city?

Offline HugeCat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Bill’s first and I’ll argue his most important commit. As bad as our offense was Sean Snyder was the most valuable player while he was there. His ability to pin opponents deep and to flip the field when our offense was unable to move the ball was critical to LHOFHCBS’s strategy. Jonathan Beasley at #46 should be above Sean, however.

https://twitter.com/Thekstatefan2/status/1549791853519806468?s=20&t=eLIlaulUazgma_EF_f6Zuw

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
In 1996 I was 13 years old and nepotism brought me my first job as a cable puller for the jumbotron camera.  I had this dream job that paid $40 per game until late in the 2000 season.

During that run I got to watch peak K-State from the sidelines and it wasn't wasted on me.  Pre-game I would go up into the press box for my credentials. Grab an omelet or whatever they were serving, check which bowl game scouts were in the house, and then down on the field to watch warmups.  When College Gameday was in town I'd hang out near the stage and one time Lee Corso gave me a cookie because somebody gave him a whole platter as a gift and wtf does he want those for?  It was a wild time. As far as I was concerned, Snyder was God, K-State was the center of the Universe, and I had an orange armband that let me freely travel through it. 

3rd favorite memory - Being in the end zone during Gramática's 65 yd field goal.

2nd favorite memory - 1998 Nebraska game. 

#1 favorite memory (and the night I was fired) - 2000 Nebraska game...  The cable pulling crew is a 3-man job and I'd moved up to become the #1 cable puller right behind the camera.  A trusted member of the crew.  Because of this, I was able to get 2 of my friends on the other spots. 

After the game, fans rushed the field which wasn't an uncommon occurrence, but this time was different.  Because of the costs to continually replace them, K-State had started installing goalposts that were extremely difficult to bring down.  We were covering the crowd shots like normal, but the crowd was getting visibly frustrated by their inability to tear down the goalposts which caused them to get creative.

My friends had been swallowed in the crowd and it was just me, the cameraman, and a few hundred feet of cable laying underneath the feet of thousands of fans.  There was quite a bit of tugging on the cable, but it didn't seem like a huge deal until we realized that our cord was being used to loop around the goalpost to aid in the pulling.  This enraged the cameraman and he's actually tied to the cable so he was starting to get pulled around pretty good.  He told me to go find the other guys to regain control of the cable.

As I got close to the goalposts, I saw the cable snap, and I knew it was over.  There was no more job to do.  So I did what most 17yo super fans would do and I joined the party for what ended up being a prolonged amount of time.  When I finally got back to the production truck, the cameraman had already laid the blame on me and used my celebrating as his proof.  I was fired and told I'd never work another game as long as he was running the camera, but nothing could bring down from the high of that game.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
 :lol:

seems like he was a squawk
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
In 1996 I was 13 years old and nepotism brought me my first job as a cable puller for the jumbotron camera.  I had this dream job that paid $40 per game until late in the 2000 season.

During that run I got to watch peak K-State from the sidelines and it wasn't wasted on me.  Pre-game I would go up into the press box for my credentials. Grab an omelet or whatever they were serving, check which bowl game scouts were in the house, and then down on the field to watch warmups.  When College Gameday was in town I'd hang out near the stage and one time Lee Corso gave me a cookie because somebody gave him a whole platter as a gift and wtf does he want those for?  It was a wild time. As far as I was concerned, Snyder was God, K-State was the center of the Universe, and I had an orange armband that let me freely travel through it. 

3rd favorite memory - Being in the end zone during Gramática's 65 yd field goal.

#1 favorite memory (and the night I was fired) - 2000 Nebraska game...  The cable pulling crew is a 3-man job and I'd moved up to become the #1 cable puller right behind the camera.  A trusted member of the crew.  Because of this, I was able to get 2 of my friends on the other spots. 

After the game, fans rushed the field which wasn't an uncommon occurrence, but this time was different.  Because of the costs to continually replace them, K-State had started installing goalposts that were extremely difficult to bring down.  We were covering the crowd shots like normal, but the crowd was getting visibly frustrated by their inability to tear down the goalposts which caused them to get creative.

My friends had been swallowed in the crowd and it was just me, the cameraman, and a few hundred feet of cable laying underneath the feet of thousands of fans.  There was quite a bit of tugging on the cable, but it didn't seem like a huge deal until we realized that our cord was being used to loop around the goalpost to aid in the pulling.  This enraged the cameraman and he's actually tied to the cable so he was starting to get pulled around pretty good.  He told me to go find the other guys to regain control of the cable.

As I got close to the goalposts, I saw the cable snap, and I knew it was over.  There was no more job to do.  So I did what most 17yo super fans would do and I joined the party for what ended up being a prolonged amount of time.  When I finally got back to the production truck, the cameraman had already laid the blame on me and used my celebrating as his proof.  I was fired and told I'd never work another game as long as he was running the camera, but nothing could bring down from the high of that game.
Great stories. 

The enraged Cornhole fans and other angry that K-State was good fanbases made fun of K-State fans for taking so long to tear down the goalposts. 

Without realizing the company that made them insured they were indestructible with a 100% free replacement guarantee.  The design featured a 2 inch welded steel plate angle support right at the critical curve in the post. 

As I recall that company said the 100% free replacement guarantee was cancelled after they replaced the one torn down.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

My jealousy is palpable. What a time to be alive!
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Boakai

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
I remember how violently those cables whipped back into the crowd when they snapped. I couldn’t believe no one got hurt from that. However I think someone did fall and get injured near the railing in front of the student section, so they had to be carted from the field. My room mate’s buddy went ass over tea kettle off the crossbar into the crowd below. Never saw him again to this day :lol:. By the end of it, the crowd only managed to slowly break off the right upright. Sorry you lost your sweet gig J-von.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Magnificent story telling my god. I felt like I was there with you.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
:lol:

seems like he was a squawk

He was from out of town and definitely not a K-State fan.  His whole career was traveling around to work a camera at sporting events and he was good at it, but I never once saw him enjoy it.

My jealousy is palpable. What a time to be alive!

It definitely was.  Little did I know that that most of my actual college years would be full of Ron Prince and sadness.  I'm still pretty amazing at coiling up any hose or power cord though.  It brings me back every time.

Without realizing the company that made them insured they were indestructible with a 100% free replacement guarantee.  The design featured a 2 inch welded steel plate angle support right at the critical curve in the post. 

As I recall that company said the 100% free replacement guarantee was cancelled after they replaced the one torn down.

I remember how violently those cables whipped back into the crowd when they snapped. I couldn’t believe no one got hurt from that. However I think someone did fall and get injured near the railing in front of the student section, so they had to be carted from the field. My room mate’s buddy went ass over tea kettle off the crossbar into the crowd below. Never saw him again to this day :lol:. By the end of it, the crowd only managed to slowly break off the right upright. Sorry you lost your sweet gig J-von.

I remember rumors of concrete being involved as well but I guess they had a blindspot with the actual uprights.  I'm sure the liability issues with a falling goalpost was part of the reason they tried to go the "unbreakable" route, but it ended up making it way more dangerous.

Magnificent story telling my god. I felt like I was there with you.

Thanks, buddy! 

Offline cat.branchman

• Fan
    • View Profile
Early in the DoD (‘93/‘94) we had easy to break goalposts, and we were tearing them down about every other game as we were breaking losing streaks with a lot teams. Remember hearing a story that the athletic dept was getting pissed about having to replace the goalpost all the time, so Snyder started paying for them with his own money. Probably another reason we got the refundable goalposts.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
j-von, you are a tremendous story teller and that sounds amaze.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Early in the DoD (‘93/‘94) we had easy to break goalposts, and we were tearing them down about every other game as we were breaking losing streaks with a lot teams. Remember hearing a story that the athletic dept was getting pissed about having to replace the goalpost all the time, so Snyder started paying for them with his own money. Probably another reason we got the refundable goalposts.
I know a bit about LHC Bill Snyder, and that bit is enough to 100% with certainty confirm he did not pay for them “with his own money”.

Offline PhoCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
I remember the media too-do about the goalposts.  I believe the company that erected them was out of the Chicago area.  The steel plate, with the post foundation deep in the ground using concrete to shore it up.  They had "tested" them and found no way for fans to climb on them and pull them down.  I believe another university was having similar issues to KSU in those days and purchased them, and they survived.

What the company did not understand is the ingenuity of 'Cat fans.  The use of the cable described by j-von is part of that (I did not know they used a camera cable until his post) the did not anticipate.  In the news articles that covered the destruction of the post, they stated that some fans went to the parking lot and got tow-straps or tow-chains from their trucks and brought them back to get it done.  But, that would take some time and real outside-the-box thinking (you would think once in the lot, drinking, almost any fan would say screw it, I'm going to the 'Ville or a party and leave), so the camera cable makes a ton more sense to me.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The ropes used to separate ICAT from GA were also utilized to defeat the indestructible goal posts

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Did K-State eventually move on from the indestructible goal posts? I remember storming the field in 06 and 12 vs Texas and I assume the goal posts were torn down but I honestly cant remember.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yes, the entire industry did. They weren't indestructible and they were quite dangerous for people trying to tear them down.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Don't recall the company, stadium, or school, but there was collapsible version used as well.  Recall a field storming on TV and they would remove the padding, pull a pin at the base, and the whole thing came down pronto.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I have seen those at squawk u
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
Don't recall the company, stadium, or school, but there was collapsible version used as well.  Recall a field storming on TV and they would remove the padding, pull a pin at the base, and the whole thing came down pronto.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Clemson, know they have those
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla