Author Topic: Official 2018 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 131934 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2017 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #300 on: December 05, 2017, 03:26:54 PM »
Could be an interesting domino effect that could involve K-State if Jimbo Fisher is pushed out/leaves FSU.
How do you think?

Jimbo moves on, Taggart leaves Oregon for FSU (he and Strong (lol) rumored to be top candidates), Oregon brings in new coach/staff, Leavitt unemployed?

Definitely a reach, but sounds like Jimbo leaving Tally sounds pretty likely at least.

Welp, first few parts have now developed. Sounds like Leavitt will get a hard look as HC at Oregon or follow Taggart to FSU, though.

Could still be interesting.

If he goes to FSU with Taggart, I don't see that athletic department agreeing to that K-State clause. It seems very odd that clause is even needed for an assistant coach on the first place.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: December 05, 2017, 03:28:17 PM »
Venables is wise beyond his years IMO. Most people could use the same kind of clarity with their careers. I have no doubt Venables would be offered and would take a HC job if he felt he had all the resources he needed AND would not get forced out by year 3 or 5 if he’s not winning 10 games or conference championships. It makes complete sense not to want to leave a $1 million+ per year job where you’re doing what you love without the bureaucratic BS and constant scrutiny.

It would be easier for him to get this if he took a job like UCF. If, in fact, Venables wants to be a head coach, he should look at someone like Scott Frost and Willie Taggart as to how to build a career. Both of those guys were playing when Brent was coaching, they took coordinator positions, turned them into very good group of 5 jobs, did well with them to get great, high paying P5 jobs. These guys went from the field to jobs at Nebraska and Florida State while Brent has been a defensive coordinator.

An argument made frequently against Sean is that he shouldn't get the K-State job if it's the only one he can get. That's a fair criticism but it should be equally applied. I'm sorry but it appears as if K-State is the absolute ceiling of job that Brent is getting and I view his unwillingness to take a job ready made for success, like UCF, a giant red flag.

good points, but do you really believe Venables couldn't get a job like USF or UCF or Toledo or Akron? (I realize those 4 jobs aren't equal). Is anyone asking Sean if he's a candidate at Arkansas?

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: December 05, 2017, 03:32:05 PM »
Venables is wise beyond his years IMO. Most people could use the same kind of clarity with their careers. I have no doubt Venables would be offered and would take a HC job if he felt he had all the resources he needed AND would not get forced out by year 3 or 5 if he’s not winning 10 games or conference championships. It makes complete sense not to want to leave a $1 million+ per year job where you’re doing what you love without the bureaucratic BS and constant scrutiny.

It would be easier for him to get this if he took a job like UCF. If, in fact, Venables wants to be a head coach, he should look at someone like Scott Frost and Willie Taggart as to how to build a career. Both of those guys were playing when Brent was coaching, they took coordinator positions, turned them into very good group of 5 jobs, did well with them to get great, high paying P5 jobs. These guys went from the field to jobs at Nebraska and Florida State while Brent has been a defensive coordinator.

An argument made frequently against Sean is that he shouldn't get the K-State job if it's the only one he can get. That's a fair criticism but it should be equally applied. I'm sorry but it appears as if K-State is the absolute ceiling of job that Brent is getting and I view his unwillingness to take a job ready made for success, like UCF, a giant red flag.

He has been offered and asked to interview for plenty of other jobs we’d consider at our level or just above. Multiple ways to build careers. Kirby Smart went a similar route and seems to be doing well through year 2. I don’t feel it was Brent’s major goal to climb in the profession. I think he just truly enjoys what he does. Remember the story about Snyder lowballing him and Stoops wanting to go talk to Bill? Or about Bob having to take him to the airport?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: December 05, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »

He has been offered and asked to interview for plenty of other jobs we’d consider at our level or just above. Multiple ways to build careers. Kirby Smart went a similar route and seems to be doing well through year 2. I don’t feel it was Brent’s major goal to climb in the profession. I think he just truly enjoys what he does. Remember the story about Snyder lowballing him and Stoops wanting to go talk to Bill? Or about Bob having to take him to the airport?

I don't know those stories plz share
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:39:57 PM by michigancat »

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: December 05, 2017, 03:38:56 PM »
I think it boils down to a need for stability and comfort.  Not a big risk taker.

More on his thoughts about coaching....

“What fulfills you brings you confidence or trust, loyalty, appreciation or when you feel you have credibility,” Venables explained. “Then you have to start completely over, and you really don’t understand it until you are in the middle of it. It’s not like you can just say, ‘I’m just going to pack my trust suitcase, my reliability suitcase and my years of experience suitcase. I’m a people person so I’m going to mesh with everybody.’

“It takes time to develop relationships, and it takes time to develop trust. It takes time to develop credibility. You don’t have those national championships that you coached. You don’t have those All-Americans that you coached and all the years of the tremendous success that you were a part of. You don’t bring that with you.”

“Coaching can be a vicious and nasty cycle,” he said. “The way I looked at it, now you have to move and change jobs every three or four years, or you are going to be chasing a job. I never wanted to be one of those coaches that were a vagabond coach living out of a suitcase and trying to go from this contract to that contract and did not have a place to call home or a place to call family.

“So I felt maybe people did not understand what my intentions were. I did not come to Clemson so I could get a head job because for some reason I could not parlay a head coaching job from where I was. That couldn’t be further from the truth. You don’t know me. Nobody asked me if that is what I thought.”

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2017/08/01/there-is-a-reason-why-venables-likes-to-call-clemson-home/

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: December 05, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »
Theres an article somewhere that mentions them but from what I remember they went like this:

Bill hired Brent as a lowly assistant and paid him some dogshit amount. Bob heard what the amount was and knew it was crap and told Brent he was going to talk with Bill. Brent begged him not to and said something to the effect of “you’re screwing this up for me”. Basically he didn’t care what he made he just wanted the job.

The other is about Bob having to convince him to go interview for the Clemson job after he brought Mike back. If I recall correctly it was something about Stoops having to drive him to the airport and convince him to get on the plane otherwise he never would’ve left OU.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: December 05, 2017, 03:42:31 PM »
Could be an interesting domino effect that could involve K-State if Jimbo Fisher is pushed out/leaves FSU.
How do you think?

Jimbo moves on, Taggart leaves Oregon for FSU (he and Strong (lol) rumored to be top candidates), Oregon brings in new coach/staff, Leavitt unemployed?

Definitely a reach, but sounds like Jimbo leaving Tally sounds pretty likely at least.

Welp, first few parts have now developed. Sounds like Leavitt will get a hard look as HC at Oregon or follow Taggart to FSU, though.

Could still be interesting.

If he goes to FSU with Taggart, I don't see that athletic department agreeing to that K-State clause. It seems very odd that clause is even needed for an assistant coach on the first place.

Isn’t a buyout for an assistant coach to move up to head coach weird to start off with?

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: December 05, 2017, 03:58:51 PM »
The other is about Bob having to convince him to go interview for the Clemson job after he brought Mike back. If I recall correctly it was something about Stoops having to drive him to the airport and convince him to get on the plane otherwise he never would’ve left OU.

Bob must have had a change of heart.

“There was a lot of finality in closing that chapter,” Venables said. “It was hard. It was hurtful. It was very hard. It was almost why I did not do it. I’m almost here. I’m in Atlanta and Coach Stoops and I are on the phone texting. He is saying, ‘Come on back. Let’s go!’ That was really, really hard.”

http://theclemsoninsider.com/2017/08/01/there-is-a-reason-why-venables-likes-to-call-clemson-home/

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: December 05, 2017, 04:08:00 PM »

Bob must have had a change of heart.

“There was a lot of finality in closing that chapter,” Venables said. “It was hard. It was hurtful. It was very hard. It was almost why I did not do it. I’m almost here. I’m in Atlanta and Coach Stoops and I are on the phone texting. He is saying, ‘Come on back. Let’s go!’ That was really, really hard.”

At Clemson, though the future looked bright, there were a lot of unknowns at the time. The Tigers were coming off their first ACC Championship in 20 years, but they were embarrassed in the Orange Bowl, 70-33, by West Virginia, which led to Dabo Swinney letting then-defensive coordinator Kevin Steele go, which ultimately led to Venables’ hire.

lol @ kevin steele being mentioned in the UT search. (I remember baylor too)

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: December 05, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
Lots of great interviews out there.  The '98 CCG left a mark.

Venables interviewed for a job at Oklahoma the week leading up to the game, and the Wildcats ended up blowing a 15-point fourth quarter lead and losing in double overtime.

“Everybody goes, ‘Oh, they were distracted,’ ” Venables recalled. “And I hadn’t decided yet if I was going to leave Kansas State to go to Oklahoma. ... But my name and that time of my career has always been tied to that loss. It might’ve been the most devastating loss that I’ve been a part of because, had we won, we’re playing in the national championship probably against Tennessee. And I just did not like that association.”

A couple of years later when Venables was at Oklahoma, he had an opportunity to interview for the Missouri head coaching job as the Sooners were preparing to play for the Big 12 title, but he opted not to after the experience at Kansas State. He added that he has maintained that philosophy throughout his coaching career since the Wildcats lost the Big 12 title in 1998.

“I was like, ‘You know what, I just told myself don’t ever put yourself back in this position,’ and so I called him and said, ‘You know what, I can’t do it,’ ” Venables said of the Missouri job. “So we’ve had some opportunities. ... Even last week. And just my moral compass said be loyal to coach (Dabo) Swinney and Clemson and the people at Clemson that have been so good to me. So it’s not easy to juggle, and there’s probably no right or wrong answer, but that’s kind of how I’ve always handled the situation.”

http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article188102954.html

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: December 05, 2017, 04:12:42 PM »

good points, but do you really believe Venables couldn't get a job like USF or UCF or Toledo or Akron? (I realize those 4 jobs aren't equal). Is anyone asking Sean if he's a candidate at Arkansas?

No no, I think he can, that's the issue for me. He can't get an offer at a decent P5 but he won't take a good group of 5 job. He's been a coordinator for 20 seasons, it's quite clear his shortest path to getting a good P5 job is having one damn decent season at a group of 5. I'm okay with him getting the K-State job, because like I have said we're getting someone with warts regardless. It's just interesting to me that K-Staters are competent okay with his either:
1. Inability to get an equivalent job
2. Lack of motivation to be a head coach
3. Unwillingness to show he's capable of overcoming his perceived shortcomings by taking a decent job.
The rationalization is fascinating to me, that's all.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: December 05, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
wait, venables should look at frost as a blueprint on how to build a career?  come the eff on, son.  frost is still an unknown and it's yet to be seen how it plays out now that he's in lincoln.
i'd take TBV's career over frost's

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: December 05, 2017, 04:20:05 PM »

No no, I think he can, that's the issue for me. He can't get an offer at a decent P5 but he won't take a good group of 5 job. He's been a coordinator for 20 seasons, it's quite clear his shortest path to getting a good P5 job is having one damn decent season at a group of 5. I'm okay with him getting the K-State job, because like I have said we're getting someone with warts regardless. It's just interesting to me that K-Staters are competent okay with his either:
3. Unwillingness to show he's capable of overcoming his perceived shortcomings by taking a decent job.

I think his easiest (not shortest) path to a "decent" P5 is waiting out Bill. Same as Sean!

And I think the fact that he's now the highest paid assistant makes his situation pretty unique - he won't make more money at a G6 school, but he'll be taking a lot of risk. And I get why his aversion to that risk is sort of a red flag.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: December 05, 2017, 04:44:08 PM »

I think his easiest (not shortest) path to a "decent" P5 is waiting out Bill. Same as Sean!

And I think the fact that he's now the highest paid assistant makes his situation pretty unique - he won't make more money at a G6 school, but he'll be taking a lot of risk. And I get why his aversion to that risk is sort of a red flag.

Yep, but it still makes perfect sense to me.  Maybe what Venables said in the above interviews is just trying to market himself better, but I personally believe he wants to get fully immersed in a job and has no desire to coach a group of 5 program solely as a resume builder.  That is another thing that actually makes Venables extremely appealing to me if KSU can get him.  He likely would not look anywhere else other than the absolute top programs if K-State is successful.  The fact he no longer wants to interview while his team is playing also works in our favor since Snyder is almost certainly not going to retire at the normal time.

Of course, the other version of the story is that Venables likes being a highly paid assistant without having to do nearly as much PR / front office stuff as a head coach, and he is afraid if he branches out on his own he will fail.  That's possible, but I'd rather gamble on a guy like that then go for an up and coming group of 5 coach who would almost certainly jump ship from KSU if a bigger offer came along.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: December 05, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
why don't we pay Venzy a HC salary to be DC and recruit his balls off, and Sean can be the HC, everyone is happy, go cats go

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: December 05, 2017, 04:49:39 PM »
Of course, the other version of the story is that Venables likes being a highly paid assistant without having to do nearly as much PR / front office stuff as a head coach, and he is afraid if he branches out on his own he will fail.  That's possible, but I'd rather gamble on a guy like that then go for an up and coming group of 5 coach who would almost certainly jump ship from KSU if a bigger offer came along.

FWIW Brent is just as likely as anyone to take a "bigger" offer if they are successful.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: December 05, 2017, 04:58:33 PM »
Well there is really no evidence of that but ok.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: December 05, 2017, 04:59:09 PM »
why don't we pay Venzy a HC salary to be DC and recruit his balls off, and Sean can be the HC, everyone is happy, go cats go

We would need to steal Herm Edwards away to be CEO.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: December 05, 2017, 05:14:24 PM »
I wonder which of these reasons applies to Kirby Smart.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: December 05, 2017, 05:15:03 PM »
Well there is really no evidence of that but ok.

well then that should be all the evidence you need, right?

:cool:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: December 05, 2017, 05:22:49 PM »

I keep hearing about these jobs and I frequently hear him as a candidate, his name was brought up for at least five jobs this year. What I don't hear is him getting jobs. If he doesn't want these jobs why does his head coach and agent keep putting his name out there?

Also you guys gotta stop with the Kirby Smart comparison. Smart was a coordinator for only seven years before he got that Georgia job. There's no way in hell he'd be a coordinator for 20 years.

All of this, loving stability, waiting for the perfect job stuff is ridiculous. Does he think he can be a good coach or not? There are very few jobs that are actual coach killers, most of these jobs can be winners with the right guy, Seth LittreLL is already winning at North Texas for heavens sakes. I dunno, it just seems like this dude doesn't really want to be bothered.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: December 05, 2017, 05:23:07 PM »

BV's been a DC quite a bit longer than Smart was.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: December 05, 2017, 05:24:41 PM »
I dunno, it just seems like this dude doesn't really want to be bothered.

this makes him seem perfect for KSU! :excited:

also LOL at not grasping why an agent might float interest toward a job their client might not take. good grief.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: December 05, 2017, 05:26:43 PM »

Dude, read a wiki page or something, they aren't comparable at all. Kirby Smart had 10 different jobs at 7 different places, he pretty freaking clearly wanted to be a head coach.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: December 05, 2017, 05:37:36 PM »
I dunno, it just seems like this dude doesn't really want to be bothered.

this makes him seem perfect for KSU! :excited:

also LOL at not grasping why an agent might float interest toward a job their client might not take. good grief.

Rusty, goodness man. Please tell me the benefit of Brent seemingly spending 15+ years as candidates for jobs but not getting them. I'd certainly love to see how this squares with the narrative that he could get one of these jobs if he wants one. Consistently being a bridesmaid for these jobs indicates the exact opposite that he could get one of these jobs, similar to K-State.