Author Topic: Official 2018 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 131791 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2017 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2017, 08:35:00 AM »
"In the spirit of innovation, our vision for this program is to have a head coach who serves as a CEO and is the central leader with a collaborative staff around him that will elevate the performance of players and coaches on the field, in the classroom and in our community. Equally important, the head coach will be a dynamic and tireless recruiter."

I dunno, I kinda like this once you get past the buzzwordsmithing,

So I guess they want ... a head coach?  Because once you chisel off all the glamour-shots make up and hair extensions that's pretty much the only thing they said.
Yes but refer to the discussions about Sean never being a coordinator in one of the many thread about him - people tend to not think about a head coach this way. To me, it's interesting that they openly admit they just want a coach to be a CEO and recruiter and don't mention his technical credentials at all. And really, schools wordsmith the hell out of their releases, too, to make whatever stats they use sound right.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2017, 08:48:55 AM »
"In the spirit of innovation, our vision for this program is to have a head coach who serves as a CEO and is the central leader with a collaborative staff around him that will elevate the performance of players and coaches on the field, in the classroom and in our community. Equally important, the head coach will be a dynamic and tireless recruiter."

So I guess they want ... a head coach?  Because once you chisel off all the glamour-shots make up and hair extensions that's pretty much the only thing they said.
Yes but refer to the discussions about Sean never being a coordinator in one of the many thread about him - people tend to not think about a head coach this way. To me, it's interesting that they openly admit they just want a coach to be a CEO and recruiter and don't mention his technical credentials at all. And really, schools wordsmith the hell out of their releases, too, to make whatever stats they use sound right.

I personally don't think you can be an effective head coach and just be a CEO type.   Not saying Herm isn't gonna be out there engaged in practice.

But most good head coaches in this day and age, while they aren't calling all the plays or defensive sets are engaged and know WTH is going on out there.

Saban, Dabo, Smart are engaged in the granular stuff, Riley is calling the plays I believe.  Saban personally coaches the Bama DB's.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »

I personally don't think you can be an effective head coach and just be a CEO type.   Not saying Herm isn't gonna be out there engaged in practice.

But most good head coaches in this day and age, while they aren't calling all the plays or defensive sets are engaged and know WTH is going on out there.

Saban, Dabo, Smart are engaged in the granular stuff, Riley is calling the plays I believe.  Saban personally coaches the Bama DB's.

yeah I agree, it isn't like this is politics where you can just bring in a business leader who will clearly run things better than a career politician.

(no but seriously I agree w/ you. I am also guessing Herm will be engaging on the field)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2017, 09:25:59 AM »
Sounds like Taggart to FSU will happen today.

And honestly, last week I never thought he'd be on their board, but after reading some stuff, I could see Leavitt being seriously considered for the head job at Oregon.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2017, 10:11:54 AM »
It's like Butch Jones champions of life on steroids. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
  • Resident Play-Hard Chartologist
    • View Profile

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2017, 10:44:05 AM »
It's like Butch Jones champions of life on steroids.

"Bane juice"

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2017, 11:09:36 AM »
UCF gettin' it done.

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/938080119675113472

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/938084748873928705

I'd love to hear an explanation from the Brent or bust people on this. Unless he gets Tennessee, and he won't, we will have another year where he gets passed by. I think the Mississippi State hire and this one is pretty telling. He's now been passed by Joe Moorhead and Josh Heupel, who was fired as a coordinator just three years ago. He's been lapped by Frost. This UCF job is the exact one he should have lobbied for and gotten.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2017, 11:13:54 AM »
Both Tos's say coaching changes are coming.

Will probably be Klein and Coleman leaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2017, 11:23:23 AM »

At least some of the talk is of the “oscar to marquette” sort.

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: December 05, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »
I'd love to hear an explanation from the Brent or bust people on this. Unless he gets Tennessee, and he won't, we will have another year where he gets passed by. I think the Mississippi State hire and this one is pretty telling. He's now been passed by Joe Moorhead and Josh Heupel, who was fired as a coordinator just three years ago. He's been lapped by Frost. This UCF job is the exact one he should have lobbied for and gotten.

Maybe he's a terrible interview?  Is he even being invited to interview?

It is odd that he hasn't secured a HC gig at this point, if he is indeed actively pursuing one.

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 05, 2017, 11:40:29 AM »

WTF?!

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 05, 2017, 11:41:26 AM »
i don't have any numbers to prove it, and maybe someone wants to take the time to find out, but it seems like offensive coordinators are more likely to get hired as HC's than defensive coordinators in the last handful of years.  =mods=?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 05, 2017, 11:42:44 AM »

WTF?!

lol if true, they'll just go grab Michael Smith and Jake Waters.  business as usual

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 05, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
I would assume that it's been Brent's decision not to pursue jobs like UCF. 

It took Kirby Smart a while to become a HC and he seems to be okay at it.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: December 05, 2017, 12:11:14 PM »
I would assume that it's been Brent's decision not to pursue jobs like UCF. 

It took Kirby Smart a while to become a HC and he seems to be okay at it.

Should have looked for this before my last post.  According to Brent, he has had interviews/offers but turned them down.  You almost get the feeling he doesn't have a strong desire to be a HC.

Prior the above response, Venables said: "I’ve had opportunities to be a head coach throughout my career and as recently as last week, but my moral compass has told me to be loyal to where I am."

https://247sports.com/college/clemson/Bolt/Clemson-defensive-coordinator-Brent-Venables-responds-to-a-question-about-being-a-candidate-for-the-next-Arkansas-head-coach--111741852

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 05, 2017, 12:16:10 PM »
Glad he had a change of heart after 199 rough ridin' 8

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 05, 2017, 01:58:31 PM »
I don't think anyone is a "Brent or Bust'r".

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 05, 2017, 02:03:43 PM »
Also it's pretty clear that KSU (or an equivalent school) is his sweet spot. Understandable to not want to take over a place like UCF after an undefeated season for a variety of reasons. Also understandable to not want to jump into the SEC West (and Moorhead is a pretty weird hire to make after three days, really). Also understandable that he doesn't get hired at a place like Tennessee or Arkansas.

He doesn't need to go to the MAC or CUSA and he doesn't need to take over a losing program if he doesn't want to.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 05, 2017, 02:05:40 PM »
Also it's pretty clear that KSU (or an equivalent school) is his sweet spot. Understandable to not want to take over a place like UCF after an undefeated season for a variety of reasons. Also understandable to not want to jump into the SEC West (and Moorhead is a pretty weird hire to make after three days, really). Also understandable that he doesn't get hired at a place like Tennessee or Arkansas.

He doesn't need to go to the MAC or CUSA and he doesn't need to take over a losing program if he doesn't want to.

also it's possible he's completely untouchable as a head coach. Seems pretty unlikely/illogical that he could have untouchable issues and successfully hold down a million dollar+/year job coaching football yet be completely unacceptable as a head coach at UCF.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 02:40:36 PM by michigancat »

Offline Joker

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 05, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »

I think that sums it up pretty well.  He's being very selective and obviously enjoys his role as DC very much.

Here's another quote from an interview last year.

"I think he'd be a great head coach," Dabo Swinney said. "I know he's had opportunities to be head coach. I just don't think the right opportunity has come along that he's wanted for whatever reason."

"I really believe that my job is better than a majority of head coaching jobs that are out there ...," Venables said during the College Football Playoff. "There are not many places where you can have it all. I believe that I have been at a few places I have had it all, and I don't want to let it go."

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/brent-venables-is-overqualified-so-why-isnt-clemsons-defensive-boss-a-head-coach/

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 05, 2017, 03:06:24 PM »
Venables is wise beyond his years IMO. Most people could use the same kind of clarity with their careers. I have no doubt Venables would be offered and would take a HC job if he felt he had all the resources he needed AND would not get forced out by year 3 or 5 if he’s not winning 10 games or conference championships. It makes complete sense not to want to leave a $1 million+ per year job where you’re doing what you love without the bureaucratic BS and constant scrutiny.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: December 05, 2017, 03:15:47 PM »
Could be an interesting domino effect that could involve K-State if Jimbo Fisher is pushed out/leaves FSU.
How do you think?

Jimbo moves on, Taggart leaves Oregon for FSU (he and Strong (lol) rumored to be top candidates), Oregon brings in new coach/staff, Leavitt unemployed?

Definitely a reach, but sounds like Jimbo leaving Tally sounds pretty likely at least.

Welp, first few parts have now developed. Sounds like Leavitt will get a hard look as HC at Oregon or follow Taggart to FSU, though.

Could still be interesting.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 05, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Venables is wise beyond his years IMO. Most people could use the same kind of clarity with their careers. I have no doubt Venables would be offered and would take a HC job if he felt he had all the resources he needed AND would not get forced out by year 3 or 5 if he’s not winning 10 games or conference championships. It makes complete sense not to want to leave a $1 million+ per year job where you’re doing what you love without the bureaucratic BS and constant scrutiny.

It would be easier for him to get this if he took a job like UCF. If, in fact, Venables wants to be a head coach, he should look at someone like Scott Frost and Willie Taggart as to how to build a career. Both of those guys were playing when Brent was coaching, they took coordinator positions, turned them into very good group of 5 jobs, did well with them to get great, high paying P5 jobs. These guys went from the field to jobs at Nebraska and Florida State while Brent has been a defensive coordinator.

An argument made frequently against Sean is that he shouldn't get the K-State job if it's the only one he can get. That's a fair criticism but it should be equally applied. I'm sorry but it appears as if K-State is the absolute ceiling of job that Brent is getting and I view his unwillingness to take a job ready made for success, like UCF, a giant red flag.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: December 05, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »
Yep, it is rich from any message board to say cordinators don’t get scrutinized and have longevity. In fact the best longevity coaches receive are buyout terms in a contract and the coaches with the best terms are head coaches. I would also say taking a job like UCF or FAU would have less pressure than high end cordinator spot. But I can’t say for certain but I assume fans at Clemson have higher expectations.

I am not sure why Venables hasn’t taken another job. He is going to flirt every year in hopes to get more money out of clemson, but as of now his actions speak louder than words. He really doesn’t seem to want a head job.