Author Topic: Official 2018 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 131826 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2017 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #150 on: November 29, 2017, 12:28:26 AM »
If Currie thought enough of Leavitt to try to lure him here as HCIW, why isn't he pursuing him for the TN job?

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 29, 2017, 12:41:59 AM »
If Currie thought enough of Leavitt to try to lure him here as HCIW, why isn't he pursuing him for the TN job?

Currie just wanted to strut like a peacock when his hire at K-State made a bowl game, then he was dipping. I hope this gets a lot worse, that sack of crap deserves every bit of it too

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 29, 2017, 06:28:01 AM »
Gopokes says it was 6 years 50 million :sdeek:

What, Currie's offer to Gundy? Or Gundy's raise from T. Boone & Co.?

The offer from UT to Gundy
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 29, 2017, 06:57:55 AM »
Give me Schiano in that scenario. They have similar head coaching resumes, and they had similar jobs at the same time. I do think USF is an easier place to win with the built in recruiting base and the easier admissions. Probably not better enough to matter very much though.

I give Schiano the advantage because of his NFL ties and the fact that he's worked under Urban Meyer and Bill Belichick. He's also younger.

They even have similar warts. The biggest difference is that Schiano has never been accused for choking a kid. All of his issues occurred in the NFL and it sounds like he was doing that bullshit that college coaches but he did them with pros, which obviously doesn't work with men with leverage.

Those are all good points.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 29, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
I can't believe Jimbo to Collie cult. Yeah he needed to refresh some assistants, and it's damn near offensive to let Chris Weinke coach consult at Bama, but he seem to put himself on the lists to leave yearly.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 11:27:11 AM by ednksu »
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 29, 2017, 08:29:35 AM »
It's not official yet, right?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »
I used to think leavitt was a pretty mediocre coach, but after seeing his effect on the Colorado and Oregon defenses, I've started to change my mind.  Hard for me to compare him to Schiano because I don't know much about Schiano outside of Rutgers, but I do think Leavitt is a v. good d-coordinator.  Right up there with Venables in my mind.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 29, 2017, 09:28:45 AM »
I can't believe Jimbo to Collie cult. Yeah he needed to refresh some assistants, and it's damn near offensive to let Chris Weinke s[]coach[/s] consult at Bama, but he seem to put himself on the lists to leave yearly.

From what I've read, it's more of Jimbo misplaying his cards the last month. Dabbling in new jobs (LSU, Texas, etc.) every off season to get another raise, and everyone called his bluff this time and basically told him to leave then. Not a done deal to leave but he's being pressured to find the best falling spot to GTFO.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 29, 2017, 09:40:47 AM »
Interesting take. I'd suspect Leavitt interviews for the HC role in that scenario.

If this chain of events were to happen quickly enough Oregon could try to bring back Frost too. Doubtful he’d take it but you never know

He's going to Nebraska but why wouldn't he go to Oregon, that's a very good job

A few things could happen. I doubt Oregon would consider Leavitt a serious replacement, and could see them throwing a ton of money at Frost. But would Leavitt follow Taggert to FSU or consider K-State simply as a DC? No HCIW crap involved.

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/935759819486703616

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 29, 2017, 09:48:53 AM »
I think Leavitt would consider KSU DC with no HCIW but I don't know that Snyder would let it happen.  He knows that if Leavitt comes here in any capacity that its a threat to Sean.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2017, 09:50:11 AM »
Interesting take. I'd suspect Leavitt interviews for the HC role in that scenario.

If this chain of events were to happen quickly enough Oregon could try to bring back Frost too. Doubtful he’d take it but you never know

He's going to Nebraska but why wouldn't he go to Oregon, that's a very good job

A few things could happen. I doubt Oregon would consider Leavitt a serious replacement, and could see them throwing a ton of money at Frost. But would Leavitt follow Taggert to FSU or consider K-State simply as a DC? No HCIW crap involved.

https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/935759819486703616

Given their current circumstance I would wonder the level of tolerance for Florida State to employ a coach, even a coordinator, with one foot seemingly out of the door.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2017, 10:04:14 AM »
I think Leavitt would consider KSU DC with no HCIW but I don't know that Snyder would let it happen.  He knows that if Leavitt comes here in any capacity that its a threat to Sean.

From all indications Bill has to be negotiating a new financial agreement (if one hasn't already been agreed on) in his contract over the next two months. The Mustang needs to use this as leverage to stop the Sean crap, make some changes for the good of the program, or tell Bill to GTFO. If that doesn't happen by the end of Jan., I could see Bill continuing the Sean or absolutely nothing else mindset for the next 3-5 years.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2017, 10:10:05 AM »
You really think Mustang is telling Bill to GTFO?

Offline KSURFC8

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »

From all indications Bill has to be negotiating a new financial agreement (if one hasn't already been agreed on) in his contract over the next two months. The Mustang needs to use this as leverage to stop the Sean crap, make some changes for the good of the program, or tell Bill to GTFO. If that doesn't happen by the end of Jan., I could see Bill continuing the Sean or absolutely nothing else mindset for the next 3-5 years.

You don't think that same logic applies, at least in part, as to why we can't seem to bring in any quality OC/DCs during this version? That and of course the fact (a little speculative I know) that HCBS can't seem to find it in himself (or his DIR of Football Operations) to look another grown man in the eye and tell him that he's fired.
"We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill/George Orwell

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2017, 10:13:17 AM »
You really think Mustang is telling Bill to GTFO?

Hell no, I picture the Stang absolutely hating confrontation. Like his neighbor would just blows his leaves over onto the Mustangs lawn and he'd just let it keep happening type crap.

One can dream, though.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 29, 2017, 10:22:19 AM »
I can't believe Jimbo to Collie cult. Yeah he needed to refresh some assistants, and it's damn near offensive to let Chris Weinke s[]coach[/s] consult at Bama, but he seem to put himself on the lists to leave yearly.

From what I've read, it's more of Jimbo misplaying his cards the last month. Dabbling in new jobs (LSU, Texas, etc.) every off season to get another raise, and everyone called his bluff this time and basically told him to leave then. Not a done deal to leave but he's being pressured to find the best falling spot to GTFO.

That's mostly the way I see it.  I'm sure a lot was leveraging, but he has had turnover with assistants and try replacements aren't cutting it IMO.  They were nearly out on bowl eligibility this year.  Yes losing Deandre was big, but a near total collapse is unacceptable and there is a lot of heat for a shakeup.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 29, 2017, 10:30:31 AM »

LOL, I'll have what you're having. and ROTFLMAO at acting like Taylor is unique in his inability to do this. There isn't an athletic director in America that is going to be comfortable making demands to LHC Bill Snyder after being on the job for only six months.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 29, 2017, 10:44:11 AM »

So you are saying Bill lied about offering Leavitt a job last year before he took the Oregon DC job?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:02 AM »
I imagine the mustang this be just like “action Jack” from Silicon Valley.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 29, 2017, 10:45:32 AM »

So you are saying Bill lied about offering Leavitt a job last year before he took the Oregon DC job?

I thought the offer was as a position coach.

Offline Maccat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 29, 2017, 10:46:27 AM »
I'm sure Bill will hire Michael Smith back in some capacity for offense now that Bert got fired at Arkansas.  Maybe replace Dimel.  That way there is no threat to Sean of the OC taking over HC.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 29, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »

Even if he was telling the truth, the news that leaked about Leavitt's HCIW offer as well as the HC out in his Oregon contract could have changed things quite a bit.  Leavitt's been making big plays for the HC job in the last year which pretty clearly isn't what Snyder wants when he retires.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 29, 2017, 10:51:39 AM »

LOL, I'll have what you're having. and ROTFLMAO at acting like Taylor is unique in his inability to do this. There isn't an athletic director in America that is going to be comfortable making demands to LHC Bill Snyder after being on the job for only six months.

I said one could dream, dude.

Also, though. I would say similar situations are Bowden and Beamer. Which the AD's that worked the transitions at the time had been at FSU/VT for less than 2 years. Not really sure what your point is, cause I see having an AD without lengthy university ties as a good thing in that situation.

But again, I know it was a stretch.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 29, 2017, 11:32:48 AM »

Also, though. I would say similar situations are Bowden and Beamer. Which the AD's that worked the transitions at the time had been at FSU/VT for less than 2 years. Not really sure what your point is, cause I see having an AD without lengthy university ties as a good thing in that situation.

I'm not sure what happened at Tech, but it was the President of Florida State, T.K. Wetherell, who forced Bowden out. Wetherell was at FSU for a long time and was friends with Bowden. In this case it'd be like Wefald forcing Snyder out, which was certainly plausible.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 29, 2017, 03:33:47 PM »

I'm not sure what happened at Tech, but it was the President of Florida State, T.K. Wetherell, who forced Bowden out. Wetherell was at FSU for a long time and was friends with Bowden. In this case it'd be like Wefald forcing Snyder out, which was certainly plausible.

The situations have some comparisons, but there was so much more going on (which you probably know) especially with Jeff's offense.  I can't imagine the cat backer raising money specifically to buy out one of Bill assistants, let alone Sean.