Author Topic: Alabama, the "the south" of the south  (Read 84720 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Alabama, the "the south" of the south
« Reply #1075 on: April 14, 2021, 01:03:33 PM »
Have you guys ever watched Floribama on MTV? It's a guilty pleasure of mine. It's the perfect representation for the hillbilly south and locals around the coastal state line there.  :love:

All of the good looking ones are from Florida or Georgia

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 14, 2021, 01:06:17 PM »
Creepy Slow Dug:  On time/On Brand

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: April 14, 2021, 01:18:16 PM »
Have you guys ever watched Floribama on MTV? It's a guilty pleasure of mine. It's the perfect representation for the hillbilly south and locals around the coastal state line there.  :love:

All of the good looking ones are from Florida or Georgia
Correct!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 14, 2021, 01:23:37 PM »
Nationwide building boom so big that lumber yards can't keep up and dax thinks that's a local Alabama thing.

LMFAO
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Alabama, the "the south" of the south
« Reply #1079 on: April 14, 2021, 01:31:00 PM »
Nationwide building boom so big that lumber yards can't keep up and dax thinks that's a local Alabama thing.

LMFAO

Building boom includes places no one wants to live (ProgFascist.7)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 14, 2021, 01:43:02 PM »
Doses Administered:  2.1 million

Population:  4.9 million

43% have received at least 1 chip.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d84846411471404c83313bfe7ab2a367

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 14, 2021, 01:45:07 PM »
I think it's good that dax loves alabama while by any objective measure it's the worst state and now confirmed by national perception.  It sucking at everything doesn't mean he can't love it. 

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 14, 2021, 01:46:40 PM »
Doses Administered:  2.1 million

Population:  4.9 million

43% have received at least 1 chip.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=d84846411471404c83313bfe7ab2a367

eff yeah Alabama!  :emawkid:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 14, 2021, 01:48:01 PM »
Things Slow Dug thinks are real:

1,456  Flor-A-Bama TV Show
1,457 Twitter Rando's using old data

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:10 PM »
Oh no, is this where dax blames all of Alabama's problems (which are so numerous that Alabama has recently been voted the worst state) on "demographics"?

Only a truly simple brained very low IQ person doesn't think that this is a factor.

Please don't tell anyone you went to Kansas State University

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 14, 2021, 01:54:41 PM »
Link the new data?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 14, 2021, 01:57:50 PM »
Somebody is having trouble with the Internet and this message board . . . as usual.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: April 14, 2021, 04:19:03 PM »
Dax, you should be viewing this poll as excellent news.  If the rest of america things alabama is awful, that will keep people away and cost-of-living low while you can stretch out in what you know is truly paradise.

The level of out-of-state investment in real estate in BHAM is quite high and they can't build houses fast enough around Huntsville right now.

Anecdotally next door neighbor just moved here from Texas and I made two secondary market audio purchases this past weekend from  West Coast transplants.  Albeit one went to school at Tulane and has ties to the area.

What kind of bangers are you blasting these days, out of curiosity?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: April 14, 2021, 07:02:55 PM »
Dax, you should be viewing this poll as excellent news.  If the rest of america things alabama is awful, that will keep people away and cost-of-living low while you can stretch out in what you know is truly paradise.

The level of out-of-state investment in real estate in BHAM is quite high and they can't build houses fast enough around Huntsville right now.

Anecdotally next door neighbor just moved here from Texas and I made two secondary market audio purchases this past weekend from  West Coast transplants.  Albeit one went to school at Tulane and has ties to the area.

What kind of bangers are you blasting these days, out of curiosity?
Picked up a pair Paradigm Monitor 7v4 and a pair of B&W bookshelves over the weekend.  I also have a pair of highly tweaked Advent large, so tweaked it’s a sacrilege to the original cult of Advent Large.    Also have a pair of shitty Polk bookshelves and a pair of hot garbage Sony core series towers which weren’t designed in the same manner as their core series bookshelves, which is a travesty.   Very Mid-Fi right now.   Was talking to a guy who was practically giving away in relative terms some fully refurbed magnapan’s but they’re so finicky that I didn’t want to deal with them right now. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 14, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »
I don't know how Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio escaped my shitty list, but they definitely belong there.
Oh come on, at least put Iowa on your list you homer. No state with Chicago deserves inclusion here.

I'm meh on Chicago, but you have to admit the rest of the state is woof town. Illinois minus Chicagoland is absolutely the worst, most boring state in America. I'm fascinated at how they managed to not have anyone live in like 90% of the area of the state. It's like Wyoming without mountains and Yellowstone.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: April 14, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »
Alabama is a sack of crap but let's be real, there are worse states
Mississippi
Arkansas
North Dakota
South Dakota
Alaska
Montana
Utah
Idaho
West Virginia
Kentucky and South Carolina are on an equally shitty plane, with Florida close behind. Rhode Island, sneakily crap.

agree on MS, ND, FL, RI, SC

the other states have redeeming natural qualities, and you don't have to interact with locals to enjoy them

True

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: April 14, 2021, 07:53:51 PM »
60% of the enrollment at UA is from out-of-state.  KU and K-State administrators would sacrifice babies to get to that point.

I mean if your recruiting pitch is panhandle Floridians, non atlanta georgians, and mississippians isn't the shittiness apparent? The shittiest places outside of Alabama are going to school in the shittiest place in America. Sounds about right.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: April 14, 2021, 08:23:47 PM »
60% of the enrollment at UA is from out-of-state.  KU and K-State administrators would sacrifice babies to get to that point.

I mean if your recruiting pitch is panhandle Floridians, non atlanta georgians, and mississippians isn't the shittiness apparent? The shittiest places outside of Alabama are going to school in the shittiest place in America. Sounds about right.
Yes, those are the places Alabama is pulling in students from.  Absolutely brilliant.  I mean nothing says Fraternity/Sorority culture like backwater Mississippi.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: April 14, 2021, 09:03:06 PM »
I agree that the hallowed history of Alabama fraternities is indeed a major regional magnet. They don't call it The Machine for nothing.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: April 14, 2021, 09:10:05 PM »
In the fall of 2020 approximately 22,000 students at UA were from out of state.  1. GA 2. Illinois

They only accounted for 3,700 of that 22k.  That leaves 18k more from OOS

Enrollment was only down .68 percent.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: April 14, 2021, 09:22:00 PM »
Just imagine how much worse Alabama would suck as a state if The University of Alabama didn't have its current out-of-state enrollment that literally no one cares about.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: April 14, 2021, 09:27:56 PM »
My wife: let's go to Hawaii on vacation!

Me: no rough ridin' way! Have you seen The University of Hawaii's out-of-state enrollment numbers this year!?!?!?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: April 14, 2021, 09:33:07 PM »
I don't know how Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio escaped my shitty list, but they definitely belong there.
Oh come on, at least put Iowa on your list you homer. No state with Chicago deserves inclusion here.

I'm meh on Chicago, but you have to admit the rest of the state is woof town. Illinois minus Chicagoland is absolutely the worst, most boring state in America. I'm fascinated at how they managed to not have anyone live in like 90% of the area of the state. It's like Wyoming without mountains and Yellowstone.
Yeah, I assume the areas near the Ohio/Mississippi River confluences are interesting country minus the hillbillies, but I haven’t been there. I enjoyed the country on 2 highway along the Rock River south of Rockford. Champaign is sort of like Manhattan without the Flint Hills. It’s basically Kansas or Iowa or like every state in that most of it sucks unless you’re from there and have some attachment to it.
:adios:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: April 14, 2021, 09:39:43 PM »
My wife: let's go to Hawaii on vacation!

Me: no rough ridin' way! Have you seen The University of Hawaii's out-of-state enrollment numbers this year!?!?!?

lmao