Author Topic: Kids  (Read 273123 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #100 on: May 17, 2010, 01:37:47 PM »
Just do it already.  I know where you can buy a bunch of EMAW stuff for newborns.  Probably find you a deal and stuff.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 17, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »
Just do it already.  I know where you can buy a bunch of EMAW stuff for newborns.  Probably find you a deal and stuff.

This is actually a great selling point.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2010, 01:42:17 PM »
Of the things that you might actually do in your lifetime, there’s nothing that you can name that can compete with raising kids in terms of fulfillment.  Go ahead and try it.  The fact that the world is full of crazy bastards that place waaaaaay too much emphasis on the value that kids add to their lives does not change that. 

Building a giant, sustainable public service organization that will last generations past your demise, for fracking starters.  GMAFB about kids being the only way to reach fulfillment.   :jerk:

Or, amassing as much wealth as you possibly can.  Not important to me, but I do know people who are admittedly and observably of that nature.   

Again, what Chum is describing is merely a norm, not an absolute, IMO

What don't you understand about "Of the things that you might actually do in your lifetime?"

So, were left with "self actualization for the average guy" as the big carrot here, eh?  Okay.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2010, 01:51:20 PM »

i'm under the assumption that in a few years more people will have kids and my place becomes the place for kidpaks instead of katpaks and everyones kid(s) gets dropped off at my place before a big game to be supervised by a couple of college ages kid sitters while the adults go pak in aggieville or the parking lot or something.  :dunno:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 17, 2010, 01:52:34 PM »

i'm under the assumption that in a few years more people will have kids and my place becomes the place for kidpaks instead of katpaks and everyones kid(s) gets dropped off at my place before a big game to be supervised by a couple of college ages kid sitters while the adults go pak in aggieville or the parking lot or something.  :dunno:

:surprised:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 17, 2010, 02:02:19 PM »

:surprised:

I am taking this as gospel, by the way.  Pretty much a done deal that this happens!   :pbj: :kstatriot: :pbj:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 17, 2010, 02:16:49 PM »

I am going to hold you to that.

yoga-like_abana

« Reply #107 on: May 17, 2010, 02:54:24 PM »

Not to mention a great excuse to go see Pixar films in theater.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 17, 2010, 09:22:47 PM »

Again, what Chum is describing is merely a norm, not an absolute, IMO

Something important that people keep leaving out, It's entirely possible for a happy and healthy marriage to exist without having kids.  People keep saying that if you have a good marriage and you are happy,  you'll be fine with kids.   Not true.  Some people just don't want to have kids and shouldn't have kids.   A healthy marriage can be strained if one person's heart isn't into it - 'cause there are moments when you're going to want to shake those little fuckers.   Resentment will grow 'cause your significant other talked you into something that ruined your life.  And now you have this needy thing screaming at you when all you're trying to do is help him/her.  Or the other person isn't willing to get up and help at 3:00am with a sick kid or whatever etc etc. 

With all that said, I wasn't ready to be a father until I saw my sons head pop out.  I think it was the first non-sports related time I cried from happiness.  It was still a hard transition not staying up all night drinking/playing video games/going to the movies 2-3 times a week and there were times I was a horrible father and a horrible husband.   I never did anything to physically hurt my kids but ignoring my wife and crying son while I stayed up all night dicking around did nearly as much damage.   Luckily my wife and I have open dialogue and she told me I was being a horrible father/dick head.   That was the moment that caused me to change my ways because I actually wanted to be a father and wanted to have kids.   

If it matters I was 25 when my son was born; looking back I think it was a little early, but I wouldn't have changed anything.  I was always the type of guy that didn't grow up until I needed to and in any case wouldn't have been ready for kids until it happened.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 17, 2010, 09:59:51 PM »
When they get to be around 2ish, you can make them do stuff and they'll understand.  Like bring you the remote, or your shoes, or a beer.  Life-changing. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 19, 2010, 01:30:43 AM »
When they are babies sometimes they cry really loud for a long time and you feel helpless as to how to make them feel better.

:excited:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 19, 2010, 01:32:55 AM »
SD seems to be a pretty mature dude with a good relationship/marriage, I think you will be happy with or without kids.

we know he'll be happy without kids from empirical evidence.  postreproductive happiness is pure speculation.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2010, 07:29:19 AM »
SD seems to be a pretty mature dude with a good relationship/marriage, I think you will be happy with or without kids.

we know he'll be happy without kids from empirical evidence.  postreproductive happiness is pure speculation.

It seems much riskier to assume that the sorts of things that make him happy now will continue to make him happy for the rest of his life.  If you're regularly PAKN' with twenty-somethings at age forty, you're a loser.  If you're regularly PAKN' with forty-somethings at age forty, you're doing it all alone because none of your peers are gonna show for a PAK.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 19, 2010, 07:35:16 AM »

It seems much riskier to assume that the sorts of things that make him happy now will continue to make him happy for the rest of his life.  If you're regularly PAKN' with twenty-somethings at age forty, you're a loser.  If you're regularly PAKN' with forty-somethings at age forty, you're doing it all alone because none of your peers are gonna show for a PAK.

damn it that sounds awesome   :love:

i think most of us will be hardcore PAK4Lif3.   and if you're calling cattmatt a loser then maybe you need to look in the mirror.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 19, 2010, 07:39:32 AM »
So it sounds like my only two options are to party with 20 year olds when I'm 40 or have kids  :frown:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 19, 2010, 07:46:59 AM »
So it sounds like my only two options are to party with 20 year olds when I'm 40 or have kids  :frown:

I just e-mailed you.  May be a factor.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 19, 2010, 07:52:25 AM »
Become foster parents.  You get money for raising kids, and if you don't like them, you can give them back.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 19, 2010, 07:55:03 AM »
Become foster parents.  You get money for raising kids, and if you don't like them, you can give them back.

One of the primary pros for me on the have kids side is passing on my amazing genes though.  I almost feel like I owe the world that much. 

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2010, 07:59:39 AM »

That's not too far off, actually.  Life changes as you age.  BFD.  It's a change for the better if you don't delude yourself into thinking that you're not the average person that you really are - like, that you're some kind of 40 year-old jet setting playboy, have a bunch of 40 year-old jet setting playboy friends, and are just killing time until you start a Pete/Booyah inspired worldwide philanthropic organization on the side while you're raking in millions upon millions from a day job that doesn't actually exist.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2010, 08:03:15 AM »
I feel one of the primary reasons to have kids, is to tell those people who say "UNTIL YOU HAVE KIDS YOU JUST DON'T KNOW...." to gtfo.  Really despise that.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »

we know he'll be happy without kids from empirical evidence.  postreproductive happiness is pure speculation.

It seems much riskier to assume that the sorts of things that make him happy now will continue to make him happy for the rest of his life.  If you're regularly PAKN' with twenty-somethings at age forty, you're a loser.  If you're regularly PAKN' with forty-somethings at age forty, you're doing it all alone because none of your peers are gonna show for a PAK.

Chum is Judgy McJudger in this thread.

Just to recap, Chum's theory is that you should stop doing what makes you happy (currently), and start doing something that you don't know if you will enjoy.   This is because the odds are that you will be happier later having given up what you know you are happy with today, to instead do something you do not know if you'll enjoy.  And, that this strategy is "less risky."  

By the way, this is the same logic that was used for eons to "convince" gay people to get married and lead straight lives.  Ask Meridith Baxter how that one worked out.   :jerk:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 09:29:53 AM by Pete »

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »

damn it that sounds awesome   :love:

i think most of us will be hardcore PAK4Lif3.   and if you're calling cattmatt a loser then maybe you need to look in the mirror.

clams nailed it.  My bros and I still pak and everyone has kids.  Maybe don't marry a woman who tells you what to do? 

LS:  im going pakin with Pete and clams, watch the little LS.
LS's wife:  you bet, please don't be too handsome today, I can't stand the thought of life without you.
LS:   :gocho:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2010, 09:29:44 AM »

Just to recap, Chum's theory is that you should stop doing what makes you happy (currently), and start doing something that you don't know if will enjoy.   This is because the odds are that you will be happier later having given up what you know you are happy with, to instead do something you do not know if you'll enjoy.  And, that this strategy "less risky." 

By the way, this is the same logic that was used for eons to "convince" gay people to get married and lead straight lives.  Ask Meridith Baxter how that one worked out.   :jerk:

I never said anyone should do anything for any reason.  I was addressing the following:  

Are kids worth it?  (The original question.)
If I have kids, I won't be able to continue to do the things I enjoy.
Whether or not rasing kids is worthwhile depends primarily on one's preferences or disposition.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »

Just to recap, Chum's theory is that you should stop doing what makes you happy (currently), and start doing something that you don't know if will enjoy.   This is because the odds are that you will be happier later having given up what you know you are happy with, to instead do something you do not know if you'll enjoy.  And, that this strategy "less risky." 

By the way, this is the same logic that was used for eons to "convince" gay people to get married and lead straight lives.  Ask Meridith Baxter how that one worked out.   :jerk:

I never said anyone should do anything for any reason.  I was addressing the following:  

Are kids worth it?  (The original question.)
If I have kids, I won't be able to continue to do the things I enjoy.
Whether or not rasing kids is worthwhile depends primarily on one's preferences or disposition.

It seems that this entire thread has been a bit pre-occupied with examples of "things I enjoy" that skew pretty young (i.e. Icing bros).  What if what you enjoy are things like playing loads of golf, traveling, other "lifetime" hobbies?  Aren't these the sorts of things that people work their whole lives to pursue full time (retire)?

I really don't think many compelling "trade-offs" have been articulated in this thread.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2010, 09:35:14 AM »
My bros and I still pak and everyone has kids.

Has the frequency of your PAKs decreased?  Do you expect that it might?  I went out 5-6 nights a week for quite a while in college.  There's something wrong with a parent who goes out that much.  They can't be very happy.