Author Topic: Kids  (Read 282763 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Kids
« Reply #2650 on: April 02, 2021, 05:38:07 PM »
I just checked Google maps and I started riding 1.7 miles to school in first grade. Was left alone around the same age, maybe a little later. I'm a weirdo tho so prob don't let your kids do that.
I think it was common not that long ago. I was about the same.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2651 on: April 02, 2021, 05:57:59 PM »
yeah, i walked starting in kindergarten.  parents are too overprotective these days.  it's good for children to do stuff on their own.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2652 on: April 02, 2021, 06:00:35 PM »
yes, I was for sure of the same opinion.....before I had kids and realized the crippling fear that comes with them.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2653 on: April 02, 2021, 06:22:15 PM »
yeah, i walked starting in kindergarten.  parents are too overprotective these days.  it's good for children to do stuff on their own.

Yes! And the world is safer now than ever.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2654 on: April 02, 2021, 06:50:03 PM »
yes, I was for sure of the same opinion.....before I had kids and realized the crippling fear that comes with them.
Yes. I don’t think the world is really any more dangerous. Parents were just more willing to accept the very small risks. Parents now put more of a financial and emotional stake in their kids I think (and on average have fewer spares than other generations).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2655 on: April 02, 2021, 07:07:23 PM »
Great point about me not having a dozen backups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: April 02, 2021, 07:08:05 PM »
I am not a whole sale “free range kids” guy, and I don’t think all CPS or state intervention in to families to prevent abuse has been bad, but that is also a big part of it. They can literally take away your kids or lock you up for having latchkey kids these days.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: April 02, 2021, 07:20:55 PM »
Depending on the age.

My wife is a social worker and it was next to impossible to remove kids in joco/Kansas

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: April 02, 2021, 09:42:14 PM »
also they are expensive AF. daycare costs as much as a mortgage. and you don't want to try to save money on that stuff, the best is the one you want to use.

Tax deduction and credit tho

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: April 02, 2021, 09:44:50 PM »
Huge milestone when one is old enough that you don’t need a babysitter anymore.  Regaining that first little bit of freedom again is amazing.

We're so close to this, I can taste it. We're at the point where we can leave the two young ones with the 12 year old for like an hour at a time now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: April 02, 2021, 09:49:59 PM »
Vacation question: any recommendations for a warm beach to take kids to this summer? Someplace where you could stay in a cabin/cottage thing, wake up, eat pancakes, walk outside and play/swim on the beach all day. Not in a resort/hotel. Small numbers of people nearby okay. Would not need to have any other activities nearby.

high end airbnb around destin

Yeah SD is right. Florida west coast, but south of Tampa, anything Tampa and north has too many college kids and southerners. I would say the Texas Gulf Coast is underrated, but you have to be careful because there's some real crap holes down there, some great places, no doubt but the Florida gulf is much better. There's no where on the Atlantic you want to go to. The Florida atlantic is trashy and everything north of there is pretty rocky and cold.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: April 02, 2021, 10:07:02 PM »
Vacation question: any recommendations for a warm beach to take kids to this summer? Someplace where you could stay in a cabin/cottage thing, wake up, eat pancakes, walk outside and play/swim on the beach all day. Not in a resort/hotel. Small numbers of people nearby okay. Would not need to have any other activities nearby.

high end airbnb around destin

Yeah SD is right. Florida west coast, but south of Tampa, anything Tampa and north has too many college kids and southerners. I would say the Texas Gulf Coast is underrated, but you have to be careful because there's some real crap holes down there, some great places, no doubt but the Florida gulf is much better. There's no where on the Atlantic you want to go to. The Florida atlantic is trashy and everything north of there is pretty rocky and cold.
Outer Banks are nice

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #2662 on: April 03, 2021, 06:28:54 AM »
Oak Island, NC. Just far enough north that your face doesn't melt in the summer. Still in the Gulf stream.

https://www.vrbo.com/1389521?arrival=2021-06-19&departure=2021-06-26&unitId=1947880

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: April 03, 2021, 07:18:57 AM »
Arkansas.. greers ferry or bull shoals or somewhere like that. Unless you want a real beach then South Carolina

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Kids
« Reply #2664 on: April 03, 2021, 07:42:53 AM »
SC, NC, GA, VA don’t have “real beaches” in my experience. There’s an ocean there, and some grassy sand, but it’s not like sugar sand beaches you get on the gulf side, So CA, or HI.

Also a rental on Pacific Beach would be cool in San Diego. Maybe not for little little kids though. It would rule for pre teen’ish IMO. Coronado may be good as well.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: April 03, 2021, 07:58:23 AM »
Gulf has great beaches

And brain eating amoebas

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: April 03, 2021, 08:09:06 AM »
If you are already going to fly and have multiple families, we stayed at a house with a pool on the beach on New Smyrna Beach. The house we rented had 7 bedrooms. For the same price in Gulf Shores you’d be 2-3 blocks off the beach. If you don’t plan on leaving much, it was a great way to go. I think it was about 20 minutes from the Daytona airport.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: April 03, 2021, 08:29:46 AM »
are kids like, a lot of work and stuff?
:sdeek:
:adios:

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: April 03, 2021, 08:55:53 AM »
Destin / WaterColor are great. I still would prefer Palm Beach to that Tho, even with kids.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: April 03, 2021, 09:09:09 AM »
IMO Outer Banks has better sandy beaches than anywhere in California (especially for little kids). And it's not stupid cold.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2670 on: April 03, 2021, 10:18:42 AM »
SC, NC, GA, VA don’t have “real beaches” in my experience. There’s an ocean there, and some grassy sand, but it’s not like sugar sand beaches you get on the gulf side, So CA, or HI.

Also a rental on Pacific Beach would be cool in San Diego. Maybe not for little little kids though. It would rule for pre teen’ish IMO. Coronado may be good as well.

My kids loved Pacific Beach last year but it was kinda cold

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2671 on: April 03, 2021, 10:29:01 AM »
I think in general, kids won't give a crap if it's cold or how sugary the sand is and there's tons of beach rental options all over the country so choose for the adults (travel, cost, what you want to do). Kids well have a blast splashing around and digging in sand no matter what.

Honestly West Michigan beaches on Lake Michigan could be a great option for kids, too. Tell the kids it's the ocean! They're kids, they're dumb!

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2672 on: April 03, 2021, 10:56:28 AM »
Letting our kids walk home from school alone has been one of the best things for them. They walk past a park so sometimes they stop and play with the other kids and sometimes they just come straight home.

Q for other parents: what age are you allowing a smart phone?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2673 on: April 03, 2021, 10:59:42 AM »
Letting our kids walk home from school alone has been one of the best things for them. They walk past a park so sometimes they stop and play with the other kids and sometimes they just come straight home.

Q for other parents: what age are you allowing a smart phone?
I think like 11 or 12. And we got them the shittiest Android possible, because it was mainly for them to text or call us while they were alone.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2674 on: April 03, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »
CF3 Jr. is 11 and he is the only one without a phone