Author Topic: Tesla  (Read 29143 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Tesla
« Reply #201 on: September 22, 2020, 04:39:44 PM »

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2020, 10:37:53 PM »
I saw tesla charging stations this past weekend for the first time and both were in shitty outlet strip mall parking lots.  Is that common?

And once back in town, saw this but couldn't get slow enough for the clean pic.  Vanity plate was TESL8.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 30, 2020, 12:00:45 AM »
I saw tesla charging stations this past weekend for the first time and both were in shitty outlet strip mall parking lots.  Is that common?

yes

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2020, 06:38:59 AM »

yes

there are ones in a shitty council bluffs strip mall. I see them a lot because there is a starbucks there that I stop at when I'm driving to KC in the morning. Have only ever seen one car plugged into them. I remember it was a gimmick so elon could say you could drive coast to coast. so they spaced them out cheaply or something like that.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 30, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »

yes

there are ones in a shitty council bluffs strip mall. I see them a lot because there is a starbucks there that I stop at when I'm driving to KC in the morning. Have only ever seen one car plugged into them. I remember it was a gimmick so elon could say you could drive coast to coast. so they spaced them out cheaply or something like that.

The one in emporia is in a pretty crappy strip mall. But it's a nice backstop in case I need it.

Both KC ones I care about are in HyVee parking lots. Which is nice. The Wichita one is in a Applebees lot with a Braums nearby.

And yeah, they are in places to "shop" when you park, and usually strip mall parking lots are the cheapest, canco
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #208 on: September 30, 2020, 07:31:52 AM »

yes

The one in emporia is in a pretty crappy strip mall. But it's a nice backstop in case I need it.

Both KC ones I care about are in HyVee parking lots. Which is nice. The Wichita one is in a Applebees lot with a Braums nearby.

And yeah, they are in places to "shop" when you park, and usually strip mall parking lots are the cheapest, canco
How long do you stop for a charge?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 30, 2020, 07:51:03 AM »
I bet outlet malls actually pay or at least split the cost to have them installed. People generally have to drive a ways to get to them and they're decent places to kill thirty minutes compared to like a gas station. I suppose I could research this but probably won't.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 30, 2020, 08:02:17 AM »
They're getting to be very common at nice hotels/resorts and even some mediocre interstate chains.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Tesla
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
Disney world parking lots and garages have electric car stalls. Don’t think they are Tesla ones though. Not sure how universal these things are. Would assume pretty universal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2020, 08:37:06 AM »
There’s regular EV stalls ever-y-where out here, but those two this weekend were the only Tesla-specific ones I saw. I’d always pictured that tesla’rs were expected to charge at home but that there’d be Tesla stations scattered frequently on highways across america for those on trips. Ran counterintuitive to me that they would want the people who buy these and put TESL8 vanity plates on them mingling with the riff raff at the Hanes Brands outlet store.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
The only place I remember seeing them was in a hotel parking lot. In Sequim, WA! There were more than a couple.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 30, 2020, 08:48:39 AM »
Disney world parking lots and garages have electric car stalls. Don’t think they are Tesla ones though. Not sure how universal these things are. Would assume pretty universal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tesla gives you an adapter for the J1772 (which most public chargers use). Works fine. High power DC that isn't a supercharger requires a different one. Tesla does not provide you with that one, but you can buy one (obv they want you to use their network, not someone elses)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 30, 2020, 08:52:35 AM »

yes

How long do you stop for a charge?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

When going home to my parents, or going to and from Manhattan, I rarely stop, and if I do, it's for like 10 minutes. I think if you were to drive from KC to Denver you'd stop like 4 or 5 times, and not more than 30 minutes. They usually have you recharge after roughly 3 hours of travel, which is not that untypical for a gas car, it's just a little more forced. I usually stop just for some insurance miles in the winter.

Also, as an aside, even if you don't "shop" at any of the places there, the car itself has Netflix/Youtube/Hulu active when in park. So, watch an episode of something is more than enough time to charge, and on your way. I hardly notice the extra time if I do need to use the supercharger.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 30, 2020, 08:56:38 AM »
There’s regular EV stalls ever-y-where out here, but those two this weekend were the only Tesla-specific ones I saw. I’d always pictured that tesla’rs were expected to charge at home but that there’d be Tesla stations scattered frequently on highways across america for those on trips. Ran counterintuitive to me that they would want the people who buy these and put TESL8 vanity plates on them mingling with the riff raff at the Hanes Brands outlet store.

There are tons of normal chargers in KC now. IMO unless you are a Tesla nut, you shouldn't buy a Tesla charger unless it's for your house. You limit yourself on just getting Tesla cars if you are a business (which I understand it's the most popular electric car brand, but that will change soon IMO). if you put a J1772 in, everyone can use it, including the Tesla.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 30, 2020, 08:58:00 AM »
The only place I remember seeing them was in a hotel parking lot. In Sequim, WA! There were more than a couple.

I thought I remembered a lot of them there. There are eight!

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/sequimsupercharger

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 30, 2020, 08:59:45 AM »
Arby's/home depot parking lot, Wanamaker Rd, Topeka, KS  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 30, 2020, 09:03:35 AM »

There are tons of normal chargers in KC now. IMO unless you are a Tesla nut, you shouldn't buy a Tesla charger unless it's for your house. You limit yourself on just getting Tesla cars if you are a business (which I understand it's the most popular electric car brand, but that will change soon IMO). if you put a J1772 in, everyone can use it, including the Tesla.

Yes, these both hit on what I found weird.  My bud who has one has the tesla charger in his garage, and then I assumed there were single tesla chargers scattered at places on or just off interstates for long trips like your KC-to-Denver, not at places that would somewhat be in town and where you'd be running errands maybe.

Both the shitty outlet malls ones I saw had 8 stations, as if the whole town population of tesla drivers would make a charge run there simultaneously.  I guess it could be that it costs barely more to put in 8 than it does 1-2 and maybe that ends up influencing people to buy teslas.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 30, 2020, 09:04:24 AM »
Arby's/home depot parking lot, Wanamaker Rd, Topeka, KS  :thumbs:

See, like this one should be at what I remember being the abandoned Shucky's between Topeka and MHK.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 30, 2020, 09:05:17 AM »

Not that it matters, but if you ever want the most up to date superchargers, this site is basically a daily refresh

https://supercharge.info/changes

Tesla changes their site maybe bimonthly.

Tesla bros are, very very committed. I almost hate to say it but if you ever want to see the super goody side of BBSing, go to teslamotorsclub.com Their investment thread makes the one hear look tame. Also, I'm pretty sure dax/any right winger on this blog would probably convulse at their climate change threads too

I lurk their occasionally, they are top notch on like any problems that could arise with the car, but it threads like 50 threads of people with the same problem again and again makes you really question how people with so much money could be so stupid. It's an insane place, but fun to look at

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2020, 09:09:22 AM »

Yes, these both hit on what I found weird.  My bud who has one has the tesla charger in his garage, and then I assumed there were single tesla chargers scattered at places on or just off interstates for long trips like your KC-to-Denver, not at places that would somewhat be in town and where you'd be running errands maybe.

Both the shitty outlet malls ones I saw had 8 stations, as if the whole town population of tesla drivers would make a charge run there simultaneously.  I guess it could be that it costs barely more to put in 8 than it does 1-2 and maybe that ends up influencing people to buy teslas.

8 stalls on an interstate is like standard, it's more to make sure someone has a spot, than it is thinking the town is filled with Teslas is actually going to use them (I never use superchargers in KC except like once just cause).

Also, would gently point out when I mean Tesla charger, I mean like the little guy in your garage, not the supercharger, which are the big white and red ones. The little ones for your garage are more akin to the public pole ones you see in most places. The higher power DC ones like the supercharger are different that those chargers.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2020, 09:18:16 AM »
8 stalls on an interstate is like standard, it's more to make sure someone has a spot, than it is thinking the town is filled with Teslas is actually going to use them (I never use superchargers in KC except like once just cause).

Also, would gently point out when I mean Tesla charger, I mean like the little guy in your garage, not the supercharger, which are the big white and red ones. The little ones for your garage are more akin to the public pole ones you see in most places. The higher power DC ones like the supercharger are different that those chargers.

Right, I meant the tlb charger in the home garage and then the tesla-branded superchargers out and about. 

I saw no cars using any of the stalls at either supercharger setup.

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/seasideorupercharger

And holy eff, maybe there were multiple totaling 20 or I didn't notice how massive the setup was, but I guess there were 20 stalls here!

https://www.tesla.com/findus/location/supercharger/centraliasupercharger

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2020, 09:22:57 AM »
Yeah this one is in my neighborhood at a shopping center that is somewhere between a strip mall and a regular outdoor mall. I think there are 12. There's usually a few parked but I don't think it's ever full. Obviously there are Teslas everywhere here.