Author Topic: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?  (Read 96782 times)

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #1425 on: November 09, 2022, 01:53:54 PM »
I bought an 04 Nissan Frontier to flip because I bought it for so cheap but have been driving it daily.. wasn't even going to register it but I did :Ugh:

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 24, 2023, 09:26:45 PM »
folks, I could really easily blow $500k

https://build.gatewaybronco.com/

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 25, 2023, 08:58:14 AM »
My 2009 F-150 is sitting at 179k miles and had the top end re done at 100k. Someone shoot me an offer.

Nah but in all seriousness looking at getting a new car in October around my birthday or around Christmas. I will be a first-time newish car buyer so I am assuming its better to go to the bank get a loan than it is to do the financing jazz thru the dealer. I put a ton of miles on my car. Like close to 1500-2k a month. Looking at subaru outback with wilderness trim package.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 25, 2023, 09:11:41 AM »
Car financing is rough right now. Rates are very high. If manufacturers are running financing specials to move stock it’ll for sure be your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 25, 2023, 09:32:57 AM »
Go to your bank and get approved for a loan at X percent. When you buy your car at the dealership tell them you are approved for X percent and if they can beat it you will listen to them....but in general dont get your loan from the dealership unless the automaker is running some stupid low interest rate promo.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: May 25, 2023, 09:36:38 AM »
Car financing is rough right now. Rates are very high. If manufacturers are running financing specials to move stock it’ll for sure be your best bet.

Also with financing isn't there like a mileage limit? Seems stupid.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 25, 2023, 09:39:12 AM »
Go to your bank and get approved for a loan at X percent. When you buy your car at the dealership tell them you are approved for X percent and if they can beat it you will listen to them....but in general dont get your loan from the dealership unless the automaker is running some stupid low interest rate promo.
Car rates suck rn. I hope it kinda flattens out by the EOY

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 25, 2023, 09:40:30 AM »
They really hate it when you come to the table with cash for a vehicle and aren't trading anything in.  At that point, they can't play their stupid games with trade value, monthly payment, etc.
@mikec2w

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 25, 2023, 09:43:42 AM »
They really hate it when you come to the table with cash for a vehicle and aren't trading anything in.  At that point, they can't play their stupid games with trade value, monthly payment, etc.
Hoping to have about 10k cash for a down payment and will trade the truck in or sell it when it comes time. Truck is kelly blue booked at like 9k with all the options and the engine it has. Just looking for something I can drive but still have enough room to camp out of that gets better-ish gas mileage. Truck gets 15.2 per tank rn according to the dash.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: May 25, 2023, 09:51:55 AM »
Most dealers will shop that loan at a ton of banks, not just through the manufacturer financing. It’s fine to get a loan offer ahead of time but it generally won’t be less than what you can get at the dealership. Some credit unions maybe.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 25, 2023, 09:53:13 AM »
They hate it because they make money and are incentivized to find financing for you and will make money on the trade. They don’t really make money selling a new car to you.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 25, 2023, 11:33:50 AM »
They hate it because they make money and are incentivized to find financing for you and will make money on the trade.

yep.  they get a kickback from the financing company, so you have the best chance of getting a good price if you take their financing.

personally, i've found that manufacturers' financing rates are generally better than banks, but even if you think you're going to get a better rate from a bank, you maximize your negotiating leverage if you take the dealership financing up front and then later pay it off with a loan from a bank.

if you haven't bought a car from a dealership before, the end of month effect is real.  know what you want to pay and go in on the next to last or last day of the month and tell them your price.  the first dealership might not take it, but someone will.  can also do it all by email.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 25, 2023, 07:57:54 PM »
I was getting ready to post basically what sys did, but for the very best deal wait until late December up to the first week in January.  They will give you a deal because they want to reduce inventory for tax purposes and if you shop around even if it's for the same make and model you will be thousands ahead.  I have been doing this for over fifty years, son.  Best of luck.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 25, 2023, 08:02:15 PM »
katdaddy, you're the best irl

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 26, 2023, 10:49:28 AM »
I appreciate all of the advice, this is simply why goEMAW is best in the biz.  :love:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: July 14, 2023, 01:45:45 PM »
Have a 2012 Acura TSX with 150k miles. Radio hasn't worked in 2 years. Probably should get something different. No idea what to get. Another sedan? small SUV? nothing looks great.
Wife has a mid sized SUV so we are pretty much covered there.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: July 14, 2023, 01:48:37 PM »
Have a 2012 Acura TSX with 150k miles. Radio hasn't worked in 2 years. Probably should get something different. No idea what to get. Another sedan? small SUV? nothing looks great.

Have you considered getting the radio fixed or replaced?

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 14, 2023, 01:52:39 PM »

Have you considered getting the radio fixed or replaced?

briefly, but I like the idea of something different
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 14, 2023, 02:04:59 PM »
Get a Bluetooth speaker imo

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 14, 2023, 02:05:08 PM »
I bet it's a 50 cent fuse.. and then on those hondas/acuras I think you need a 4 digit pin to reset the radio

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 14, 2023, 02:21:15 PM »
That is pretty much exactly why Dr Dre invented Apple iPods. 

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 14, 2023, 04:54:11 PM »
Get a Bluetooth speaker imo

Been doing this the whole time. Works pretty well when I just listen to podcasts on my commute.

I bet it's a 50 cent fuse.. and then on those hondas/acuras I think you need a 4 digit pin to reset the radio

Backstory:
Replaced battery. Radio needed a unique code to become active again. Couldn't find code anywhere. Called Acura, they gave me the "correct" one. Didn't work. Took it to dealership, they couldn't get it to work. Was told my system "was fried" and it's "pretty rare". Was told to just go aftermarket due to cost of replacing in through Acura (never got an exact cost). Since my system had the tech package, lot of after market sites claimed my car wasn't compatible for a system(idk if that's true, not my thing). Bought a used OEM radio off ebay. Installed it. Called Acura to get the code. Code didn't work. This is where I gave up. I probably need to take it back to the dealership one more time, but i got lazy.
- chunkles

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 14, 2023, 05:35:19 PM »
In my experience, crutchfield is the best place to check for compatibility. They will also give you heads up on special tools, sell those tools to you cheaply, and have great help manual and vids to make something daunting pretty easy. I would check them before you buy a car because radio, unless you just want a new ride.