Author Topic: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?  (Read 97846 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Cars.... How far have you went before getting a new one?
« Reply #1100 on: September 28, 2021, 11:04:51 AM »
I probably should sell my car and replace it with the cheapest of cheap cars that matches how little I drive or just have no car.

you should sell it and only get around via boat and/or bicycle

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 28, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »
I ordered a 2022 Yukon Denali. I figure if I'm going to buy one more all gas vehicle I may as well make it one that gets the minimum MPG possible. 2-6 months to get it so gonna be awhile. Got $32k for my 2017 Armada which currently has 51k miles with the agreement I'm obviously going to put more miles on it in the coming months which seems fine. Having to pay MSRP on a sled feels bad but what can you do right now.

Ha just paid MSRP too. Will you take this? No. How about this? No. What about this? No. So, that is the price huh? Yes. Ok, it looks like you are charging a $500 dealer fee. Yes, we have to charge that. Ok, how about we take that off? We can't, as I said, we have to charge that. Ok, but you could reduce the price by $500 and it will be like taking it off, but you can still charge your fee. Yes, we could do that, but we aren't going to, if you don't want the car at this price, someone else will by the end of the day. DEAL!!!!  :shakesfist:

But did you threaten to drive to Reno or Omaha for a better deal?

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 28, 2021, 11:16:41 AM »
I probably should sell my car and replace it with the cheapest of cheap cars that matches how little I drive or just have no car.

you should sell it and only get around via boat and/or bicycle

I'd still have my legs and feet and shoes. 

I get so many solicitations.  Most recently I got something made to look like a handwritten letter, or maybe it was, from the dealership saying how desperate they are for my car due to "the chip shortage," which is lol in a few ways.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 28, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »

Hmmmmmm, I maybe I should buy your jeep for my kid's next car.  We talking lots of money here or what? 

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 28, 2021, 11:30:31 AM »
I ordered a 2022 Yukon Denali. I figure if I'm going to buy one more all gas vehicle I may as well make it one that gets the minimum MPG possible. 2-6 months to get it so gonna be awhile. Got $32k for my 2017 Armada which currently has 51k miles with the agreement I'm obviously going to put more miles on it in the coming months which seems fine. Having to pay MSRP on a sled feels bad but what can you do right now.

Ha just paid MSRP too. Will you take this? No. How about this? No. What about this? No. So, that is the price huh? Yes. Ok, it looks like you are charging a $500 dealer fee. Yes, we have to charge that. Ok, how about we take that off? We can't, as I said, we have to charge that. Ok, but you could reduce the price by $500 and it will be like taking it off, but you can still charge your fee. Yes, we could do that, but we aren't going to, if you don't want the car at this price, someone else will by the end of the day. DEAL!!!!  :shakesfist:

But did you threaten to drive to Reno or Omaha for a better deal?

I mean I could have expanded a bit, but this dealership was already 10 hours a way from me.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 28, 2021, 11:41:25 AM »

Hmmmmmm, I maybe I should buy your jeep for my kid's next car.  We talking lots of money here or what? 

The amount I’d need to have work on knowing how much it is and how it and its 2 roofs and all that stuff would get back there from here and if/how I’d replace it is surely prohibitive. The “probably” is that I’m gathering from posts it’d make financial sense but suck doing.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 28, 2021, 11:47:57 AM »
Ordered Grand Cherokee L Summit Reserve in June.   :impatient:  Hoping it gets here in next couple weeks.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 28, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »
Current '07 Honda Accord status report:

167,000 miles
runs fine
back passenger side bumper dent
the cloth on the ceiling is starting to come down as the glue gives up

I think it has probably 3-4 more solid years. Assuming ~8-10,000 miles/yr I've been driving it. (it was driven more when it was new)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 28, 2021, 01:48:28 PM »
Almost 1 year since I bought the 2000 Tundra.  It has gone from 61.9K miles to 66.5K miles.  Working from home rules.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 28, 2021, 01:52:41 PM »

167,000 miles
runs fine

I think it has probably 3-4 more solid years. Assuming ~8-10,000 miles/yr I've been driving it. (it was driven more when it was new)
This is a great way to do it. Very low cost of ownership for a great vehicle. Reminds me of that commercial for engine oil specific to high mileage cars where cash is just blowing out of the A/C vents and into the owner's lap.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: September 28, 2021, 01:57:22 PM »

167,000 miles
runs fine

My '06 Camry got a nice breather during the work from home era but is back to racking up the miles.  Just passed 260000 miles a couple of weeks ago.  Mine is also doing the cloth falling from ceiling thing which is really trashy looking and might be what prompts me to get a new vehicle.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1111 on: September 28, 2021, 02:51:12 PM »
Just Bedazzle it with some fancy thumbtacks.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 28, 2021, 03:36:38 PM »

167,000 miles
runs fine

Sold an 05 accord about a year ago with similar mileage(didn't use it enough) and had never had to do anything on it except an O2 sensor in the 6 years I'd owned it. Missed it because of the fuel economy but found out 2 weeks ago that the transmission had just went out.. bullet dodged

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 28, 2021, 09:19:05 PM »
Reserved a new Corolla. Same thing on MSRP. It might be here as early as next week since they were already allocated it. I asked if they’d give me a bump on trading in the 2009 Corolla with 260,000 miles. They said “if the person in charge of that is in a good mood, you might get $500.”

Going to keep the old Corolla for a few months for driving back/forth to football games then I might see if I can get $1,000. Probably just donate it to a mechanic in town that goes through donated cars, puts donated tires on them & gives them to a women’s shelter for women trying to get back on their feet by themselves & need transportation. It runs fine, just decided to get ahead of it before it breaks down/needs new tires.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 28, 2021, 11:48:58 PM »

167,000 miles
runs fine

This is a great way to do it. Very low cost of ownership for a great vehicle. Reminds me of that commercial for engine oil specific to high mileage cars where cash is just blowing out of the A/C vents and into the owner's lap.
Wife bought a new pearl white / black 2019 Accord for her commute to downtown dallas. I see why those cars are so popular. They're a hell of a deal. Turbo charged, paddle shifters, fat low-pro 19-20" tires, tons of cargo and seating space, 38 mpg. Pretty much all you want in the mid-upper $20's. She sold it after 1.5 years and 24K miles for $500 less than she bought it (pre chip shortage).

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: September 29, 2021, 07:53:18 AM »
Reserved a new Corolla. Same thing on MSRP. It might be here as early as next week since they were already allocated it. I asked if they’d give me a bump on trading in the 2009 Corolla with 260,000 miles. They said “if the person in charge of that is in a good mood, you might get $500.”

Going to keep the old Corolla for a few months for driving back/forth to football games then I might see if I can get $1,000. Probably just donate it to a mechanic in town that goes through donated cars, puts donated tires on them & gives them to a women’s shelter for women trying to get back on their feet by themselves & need transportation. It runs fine, just decided to get ahead of it before it breaks down/needs new tires.
Holy crap, that is a incredibly impactful act of generosity.  The mechanic is a stud and you would be too if you donated your car.
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 29, 2021, 08:07:44 AM »

Holy crap, that is a incredibly impactful act of generosity.  The mechanic is a stud and you would be too if you donated your car.
:thumbs:

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 29, 2021, 08:11:41 AM »
 :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 29, 2021, 01:21:13 PM »
SD, you could cancel that GMC order and get yourself on the list for a plug-in hybrid Cherokee!!!!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37774950/2022-jeep-grand-cherokee-revealed/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 29, 2021, 02:06:24 PM »
Can’t fit the entire infield in that thing

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 29, 2021, 02:56:31 PM »
Traded 18 Sierra for 21 Sierra a month ago for the trade in value reason. Now '22 interior/little diesel havee wanting to order one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 12, 2021, 02:07:48 PM »
Just received notification that my Jeep Grand Cherokee L is in the shipping process and should arrive in the next week or two!  :Woohoo:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 12, 2021, 03:25:24 PM »
Just received notification that my Jeep Grand Cherokee L is in the shipping process and should arrive in the next week or two!  :Woohoo:
They’re building my Yukon first week of November.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 12, 2021, 07:35:52 PM »
They’re building my Yukon first week of November.

Jealous of you both.  Very fun.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 13, 2021, 10:14:39 PM »
Genesis G70 2.0T Manual Transmission. I've got my eye on you.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.