Author Topic: Doug Gottlieb to Oklahoma St.  (Read 25767 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Gottlieb to Oklahoma St.
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2017, 03:44:47 PM »
The biggest key to Gottlieb being successful there would be Evans returning.

https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/844227279236579328

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »
I would've taken Doug but I wanted his candidacy to get Currie/admin folks to think a little further outside the box.  I would think OSU has the resources to do better.

What resources do they have that we don't? Excess of empty orange chairs?

T Boone's fortune.  I thought they built a pretty bad ass athletics park there too although maybe we've caught up some.

In terms of basketball facilities, besides the fact that GIA may have a better look with the brick and all orange predominately empty chair back seats.   They don't have anything on us from a basketball facilities perspective.   That's the only thing a b-ball coach is going to care about.   

Our practice/admin facility is one of the nicest ones in the country and our game day dressing rooms and game day sports medicine facilities as well as the post game press room just got a million dollar make-over, and of course we just put in a $5 million-plus dollar AV/Scoring/Lighting system.

Yeah, T Boone Pickens isn't an open checkbook, I'm not sure he's ever given anything directly to basketball. When they got the GIA renovation along with their practice facility that was a part of the overall expanded athletics facility. K-State and frankly Texas Tech have committed a lot more to basketball, in everyway, than OSU has.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
Gotleib would energize the fanbase until they started getting shelled next year.  Would be a horrible hire.....OSU is in no position to hire coaching rookies.  Too much of a risk.  Talking basketball and coaching basketball are two different skills.

Because there is zero risk in hiring a lifetime coach. Gmafb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »
The biggest key to Gottlieb being successful there would be Evans returning.  It would be tough to get/keep momentum going if the team has a down year.

Is there a chance that OSU makes another run at Self or has that ship sailed?  I don't think they could get him but they should definitely call T Boone for a number and then call Self's agent.  I would test those waters every time the position opened.
I would give it a zero percent chance unless KU wins it all this year. That might give OSU a 1-5% chance IMO. But I also have no problems w/ any school reaching out to alumni to inquire about an opening. Particularly if the coach is in the later part of his/her career w/ all the money and accolades needed. Why not reach out? Just keep it under wraps so you don't look foolish for gettign turned down (again).
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
I would've taken Doug but I wanted his candidacy to get Currie/admin folks to think a little further outside the box.  I would think OSU has the resources to do better.

T Boone's fortune.  I thought they built a pretty bad ass athletics park there too although maybe we've caught up some.

In terms of basketball facilities, besides the fact that GIA may have a better look with the brick and all orange predominately empty chair back seats.   They don't have anything on us from a basketball facilities perspective.   That's the only thing a b-ball coach is going to care about.   

Our practice/admin facility is one of the nicest ones in the country and our game day dressing rooms and game day sports medicine facilities as well as the post game press room just got a million dollar make-over, and of course we just put in a $5 million-plus dollar AV/Scoring/Lighting system.

Yeah, T Boone Pickens isn't an open checkbook, I'm not sure he's ever given anything directly to basketball. When they got the GIA renovation along with their practice facility that was a part of the overall expanded athletics facility. K-State and frankly Texas Tech have committed a lot more to basketball, in everyway, than OSU has.

I always viewed OSU as K-State with T Boone's money but in hindsight, I formed that opinion years ago and it is probably dated at best.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2017, 04:00:10 PM »

I always viewed OSU as K-State with T Boone's money but in hindsight, I formed that opinion years ago and it is probably dated at best.

Until they spent the money in some kind of university/city partnership (I think that was the case) to upgrade GIA.   Between what K-State spent on Bramlage and expanding the football stadium in 1998, that was more than double what OSU spent on facilities in the previous 4 decades.   What was to become T. Boone Pickens Stadium was a rusty nasty place prior. 

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2017, 04:34:15 PM »
so Gottleib didn't actually get the job, oh okay

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »
so Gottleib didn't actually get the job, oh okay

It's happening

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2017, 05:47:34 PM »
Come on guys, he's going to crater that program.  KU T-Shirt Nation says so.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2017, 08:56:28 PM »
Gotleib would energize the fanbase until they started getting shelled next year.  Would be a horrible hire.....OSU is in no position to hire coaching rookies.  Too much of a risk.  Talking basketball and coaching basketball are two different skills.

That's the same logic that got oscar hired.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline ArchE_Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »

Until they spent the money in some kind of university/city partnership (I think that was the case) to upgrade GIA.   Between what K-State spent on Bramlage and expanding the football stadium in 1998, that was more than double what OSU spent on facilities in the previous 4 decades.   What was to become T. Boone Pickens Stadium was a rusty nasty place prior.

the reno/addition to the football stadium was expensive lipstick on a pig. looks decent on tv, look good in person when brand spanking new, and now looks bleh in person.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
last chance at a actual hc job without going through the ranks first
very awkward interview

It was interesting. I think Doug truly value's Soren's opinion and part of it seemed to be Doug really wanting Soren to validate him, but Soren was honest with the positives and negatives that Doug would bring a program.

You guys definitely buried the lede on this interview. MICHAEL PORTER JR COULD END UP AT OU! WHAT??? Or possibly crazier, Trae Young and Porter Jr might end up at Missouri. Those two kids at the same school would be nuts.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2017, 09:51:15 AM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
very awkward interview

It was interesting. I think Doug truly value's Soren's opinion and part of it seemed to be Doug really wanting Soren to validate him, but Soren was honest with the positives and negatives that Doug would bring a program.

You guys definitely buried the lede on this interview. MICHAEL PORTER JR COULD END UP AT OU! WHAT??? Or possibly crazier, Trae Young and Porter Jr might end up at Missouri. Those two kids at the same school would be nuts.

I think that's just talk to make it look like the martin and porter to mu together thing hasn't been a done deal that was worked out a week ago.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2017, 10:02:35 AM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
very awkward interview

I think that's just talk to make it look like the martin and porter to mu together thing hasn't been a done deal that was worked out a week ago.

I don't see the reasoning to do that, why would they care if Washington fans are mad? If Porter Sr is truly letting his son make the decision this could get interesting.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
very awkward interview

I don't see the reasoning to do that, why would they care if Washington fans are mad? If Porter Sr is truly letting his son make the decision this could get interesting.

i just think that none of the parties involved really want it to look like cuonzo and the porters had this all worked out beforehand. if porter comes out immediately and says he's going to mizzou then it kind of looks that way. that would maybe make martin look bad because he was probably recruiting for mizzou when he was still coaching cal and it doesn't exactly make the porters look great either. maybe I'm wrong, but i think everybody just looks a little better if they slow play this.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2017, 10:45:40 AM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
very awkward interview

i just think that none of the parties involved really want it to look like cuonzo and the porters had this all worked out beforehand. if porter comes out immediately and says he's going to mizzou then it kind of looks that way. that would maybe make martin look bad because he was probably recruiting for mizzou when he was still coaching cal and it doesn't exactly make the porters look great either. maybe I'm wrong, but i think everybody just looks a little better if they slow play this.

I'm just going to take them for their word, I don't know why that's so hard for people to do when it comes to athletes.

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2017, 11:24:15 AM »

There is risk in everything.  There is much more risk in hiring somebody to coach basketball at a very high level when that person has never coached before.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »

There is risk in everything.  There is much more risk in hiring somebody to coach basketball at a very high level when that person has never coached before.
Or coached at that level. See Mizzou.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2017, 11:36:59 AM »
gotlieb was just on 810

leaving cbs going to fox
very awkward interview

I'm just going to take them for their word, I don't know why that's so hard for people to do when it comes to athletes.

maybe because people involved in athletics (coaches more than players i suppose) lie a lot?  :dunno:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2017, 11:47:45 AM »
Local station had gottlieb on to talk about uw/porters, and they asked him if osu should hire romar to get the porters.  Doug said no and mentioned that he wants the job.  The host was incredulous.  Gottlieb said he'd hire romar as an assistant to get the porters.  :lol:

https://www.iheart.com/show/139-Softy-Interviews/?episode_id=28053434

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2017, 11:49:05 AM »
LOL

That's great

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2017, 12:03:02 PM »

Gotta risk it to get the biscuit, boss.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2017, 12:06:33 PM »
i'd still be excited about gottlieb.  I'm kind of glad OSU is going to be the guinea pig though.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2017, 01:40:20 PM »
News that Gottlieb is getting an interview leaked, which means he is definitely not getting the job.