Author Topic: politics of football (ban that crap)  (Read 28409 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: politics of football (ban that crap)
« Reply #225 on: January 06, 2023, 10:46:24 AM »
Also one other thing about rugby, football, and collisions, I'm fairly certain that research shows most injuries occur at the line of scrimmage. The wide receiver or running back getting blown up is certainly eye catching but that happens what maybe 3-4 times a game, at the very most?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 06, 2023, 10:47:51 AM »
Eliminating the kickoff would be a step in the right direction

I have been a fairly big fan of Schiano's proposal.

I like that it makes it possible to get the ball back after scoring, when recent rules have made onside kicks incredibly difficult to recover. Maybe it makes it too easy, though.

I really question whether punts are safer than kicks, though. I don't have any injury data to look at, but kick protection seems a lot more straightforward than a punt, where you have to line up and watch for a fake, then sprint back alongside the guy you are going to try to block. You see punt returners get absolutely lit up if they make a poor decision to not fair catch when they should.

My guess on why punts may be safer is that the ball carrier is rarely moving forward at full speed. You eliminate half of the momentum and force you have on a lot of kickoff collisions even when the returner gets lit up.

Yeah, this is right but it's important to remember, as someone who's football career partially ended because of this, most kickoff injuries aren't to the returner. Every player but the kicker in most circumstances are subject to on of those full speed collisions.
On punts you start blocking at the line of scrimmage rather than downfield with a head of steam

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2023, 10:57:35 AM »
Also one other thing about rugby, football, and collisions, I'm fairly certain that research shows most injuries occur at the line of scrimmage. The wide receiver or running back getting blown up is certainly eye catching but that happens what maybe 3-4 times a game, at the very most?

We may be thinking of different sets of statistics, but certainly the most sub-concussive head impacts (the main ingredient to CTE) occur on the line. I have never seen anything indicating that the majority of injuries total occur there, but it wouldn't surprise me, if for no other reason than that is where the greatest concentration of players are at any given time.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2023, 12:09:05 PM »
Well if you’re counting all injuries then I have no doubt they occur to linemen. Those guy’s fingers, ankles, joints, etc. are in danger every single play.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2023, 12:15:17 PM »

I like that it makes it possible to get the ball back after scoring, when recent rules have made onside kicks incredibly difficult to recover. Maybe it makes it too easy, though.

I really question whether punts are safer than kicks, though. I don't have any injury data to look at, but kick protection seems a lot more straightforward than a punt, where you have to line up and watch for a fake, then sprint back alongside the guy you are going to try to block. You see punt returners get absolutely lit up if they make a poor decision to not fair catch when they should.

The easy remedy then to do back it up more. I think 4th and 15 is a pretty big gamble to do if you start at like the 20. I also think of you make it where regardless of you gain 1 yard or 14 I'd you fail the defending team gets it at like the 20 or 25 or something, really incentivize to the team going for you it's more an act of surprise/desperation, not something you can gunsling each time (though there were always be that high school team that'll always go for it)
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2023, 12:18:45 PM »
Not saying that rugby is anywhere near as dangerous as football, but those scrums are pretty nasty. My brother and cousin played club rugby in college - one broke his arm in a scrum and one broke his leg in a scrum.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 06, 2023, 12:21:20 PM »
I think most people are willing to live with injuries that aren't brain or heart related.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 06, 2023, 12:23:56 PM »

The easy remedy then to do back it up more. I think 4th and 15 is a pretty big gamble to do if you start at like the 20. I also think of you make it where regardless of you gain 1 yard or 14 I'd you fail the defending team gets it at like the 20 or 25 or something, really incentivize to the team going for you it's more an act of surprise/desperation, not something you can gunsling each time (though there were always be that high school team that'll always go for it)

I think the 4th & 15 gives more power to (and scrutiny of) the officials on a high-stakes play.  Given the quality and consistency of officiating, I don't love that aspect of it.  A penalty is likely the same as a turnover for the defending team whereas an onside doesn't typically have a possession-deciding penalty on the receiving team. 

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 06, 2023, 01:15:14 PM »
I think one thing the N(ew)XFL got really right was kickoffs: Kick from the 30, return team on the 35, nobody moves but the kicker until the ball is fielded.  Punts and PATs a little less so - should keep the kicking option in PATs.

Perhaps a way to keep a traditional kicking PAT would be to award an additional point or two on top of the PAT if the *kickoff* goes through the uprights.  Would certainly reduce returns and increase touchbacks.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 02:57:34 PM by Woogy »

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 06, 2023, 02:18:12 PM »
Another interesting thing - and maybe this exists - would be if there's any kind of comparative data between the NFL and the CFL. Given the differences (wider/longer field in the CFL, more pre-snap motion in the CFL, 3 downs vs. 4 downs, etc.), it would be interesting to see if per capita injuries to different areas (head, body, etc.) are different.

It's still hard to believe the CFL has the goalpost on the front end zone line - that's got to result in unnecessary injuries. 

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 06, 2023, 03:08:18 PM »
I saw Kansas in the top 10, so I figured I'd be able to find K-State, but I can't? Am I reading it wrong?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 06, 2023, 03:25:18 PM »
I saw Kansas in the top 10, so I figured I'd be able to find K-State, but I can't? Am I reading it wrong?

Poor cats couldn’t even outdraw the Jan 6 hearings in mid June playing Bama on the biggest football Saturday of the year :frown:
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 06, 2023, 03:32:39 PM »
I’d be more concerned with the fact that KU somehow managed to pull the ratings for the NCAA championship lower than a semifinal game featuring teams that meet every single year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2023, 03:40:40 PM »
I’d be more concerned with the fact that KU somehow managed to pull the ratings for the NCAA championship lower than a semifinal game featuring teams that meet every single year.

A final four game outrating the national championship game has got to be a first.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 11, 2023, 09:38:49 AM »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2023, 10:58:20 AM »
Also, hope Russ recovers.  Best wishes to a KSU Cat. :beersmiley:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 23, 2023, 07:48:35 PM »
It would be very easy to go to rugby type helmets, but Americans love violence.

Welp, never mind. I guess we're just morons
https://twitter.com/FootbaIl_Tweets/status/1615867001741656064

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2023, 10:19:12 PM »
Its fans’ love/use of fireworks is another reason to ban this crap.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2023, 10:24:11 PM »
Its fans’ love/use of fireworks is another reason to ban this crap.
I can get behind this reasoning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF