Author Topic: politics of football (ban that crap)  (Read 28411 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: politics of football (ban that crap)
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2022, 10:57:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/JonScottTV/status/1581809139667599360

The comments to this one are amazing. "Its just because of the cabin pressure" lol The guy couldn't sit on an airplane for a couple hours due to a medical condition but he sure as crap can put on some pads and throw his body into oncoming traffic 38 times on Sunday!!!

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 02, 2023, 05:43:44 PM »
Have they fined him yet? If Jamaal Williams gets penalized for some hip thrusts I have to think they’ll come down pretty hard on that crap.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 02, 2023, 08:49:44 PM »
Allegedly the two head coaches had to step in to force the suspension. League was going to have them keep playing.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 02, 2023, 09:31:41 PM »
Ban it. This is absurd.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2023, 12:25:13 PM »
It would be very easy to go to rugby type helmets, but Americans love violence.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2023, 02:27:04 PM »
It would be very easy to go to rugby type helmets, but Americans love violence.

I’ve long thought that minimal helmets and padding would go a long way to reducing catastrophic injuries in the game. That said, a lot of dudes used to die playing football in the early days.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2023, 02:47:38 PM »
Yeah, I don't think reducing the protection provided by helmets and shoulder pads is the answer.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 05, 2023, 07:34:44 PM »
Yeah, I don't think reducing the protection provided by helmets and shoulder pads is the answer.

You ever watch a rugby match? That hit on Monday night, comparatively a beign one, never happens without huge ass helmets.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 05, 2023, 08:32:09 PM »

You ever watch a rugby match? That hit on Monday night, comparatively a beign one, never happens without huge ass helmets.

I wonder what the learning curve is on that though? I mean just seeing some of the routes guys run and the way they can just barely tap their toes in bounds…it’s a reminder how specially trained, well oiled machines these dudes are. Probably really difficult to unlearn technique that’s been drilled into you every day for years

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 05, 2023, 09:02:49 PM »
I do love some violence

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 05, 2023, 09:15:14 PM »

The lack of protection could be -A- factor, but I think the simpler explanation for FB having more violent collisions is: (1) it is played in extremely explosive segments of just a few seconds at a time, and (2) every play you basically set up a pretty decent likelihood of having two players run full speed toward each other for like 20 yards. That scenario just doesn’t even come up that frequently in other sports.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 06, 2023, 06:43:40 AM »

The lack of protection could be -A- factor, but I think the simpler explanation for FB having more violent collisions is: (1) it is played in extremely explosive segments of just a few seconds at a time, and (2) every play you basically set up a pretty decent likelihood of having two players run full speed toward each other for like 20 yards. That scenario just doesn’t even come up that frequently in other sports.

Those scenarios aren't nearly as dangerous in other sports both because of the lack of protection and rules to prevent them. Basketball has a ton of extremely explosive segments but you'll get a foul called for a collision. Soccer has a ton of opportunities to collide from two 20 yard sprints, but they'll get yellow or red cards for dangerous contact. Rugby has similar bursts with less violence because there isn't a helmet that can be used as a weapon.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 06, 2023, 07:55:55 AM »
Sounds like football just needs to start calling fouls for contact
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 06, 2023, 08:34:19 AM »

I get the arguments, but the game was a lot slower when people were wearing leather helmets, and a lot more people died playing it.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 06, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »
Maybe it makes sense to put weighted vests on every player to slow them down.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 06, 2023, 09:08:25 AM »
not a football historian but what is the relationship of injuries with respect to the (controversial) legalization of the forward pass?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 06, 2023, 09:35:29 AM »
Frankly I have no idea what the incidence of injuries is for rugby, but I think the sport is just fundamentally different in that tackles will usually happen with way less force since a ball carrier running at full speed will almost always get tackled from behind instead of head on.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 06, 2023, 10:10:16 AM »
Eliminating the kickoff would be a step in the right direction

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 06, 2023, 10:14:17 AM »

I have been a fairly big fan of Schiano's proposal.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 06, 2023, 10:22:11 AM »

I like that it makes it possible to get the ball back after scoring, when recent rules have made onside kicks incredibly difficult to recover. Maybe it makes it too easy, though.

I really question whether punts are safer than kicks, though. I don't have any injury data to look at, but kick protection seems a lot more straightforward than a punt, where you have to line up and watch for a fake, then sprint back alongside the guy you are going to try to block. You see punt returners get absolutely lit up if they make a poor decision to not fair catch when they should.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 06, 2023, 10:35:07 AM »

I like that it makes it possible to get the ball back after scoring, when recent rules have made onside kicks incredibly difficult to recover. Maybe it makes it too easy, though.

I really question whether punts are safer than kicks, though. I don't have any injury data to look at, but kick protection seems a lot more straightforward than a punt, where you have to line up and watch for a fake, then sprint back alongside the guy you are going to try to block. You see punt returners get absolutely lit up if they make a poor decision to not fair catch when they should.

My guess on why punts may be safer is that the ball carrier is rarely moving forward at full speed. You eliminate half of the momentum and force you have on a lot of kickoff collisions even when the returner gets lit up.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 06, 2023, 10:43:10 AM »

My guess on why punts may be safer is that the ball carrier is rarely moving forward at full speed. You eliminate half of the momentum and force you have on a lot of kickoff collisions even when the returner gets lit up.

Yeah, this is right but it's important to remember, as someone who's football career partially ended because of this, most kickoff injuries aren't to the returner. Every player but the kicker in most circumstances are subject to on of those full speed collisions.