Author Topic: Thank God for Iowa State  (Read 68220 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Thank God for Iowa State
« Reply #375 on: December 22, 2020, 04:33:51 PM »
Will Campbell leave and why Auburn?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 22, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
Campbell has used his agent to convey he is looking for Ohio State or Notre Dame so I guess take that for what it’s worth
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 22, 2020, 10:07:14 PM »
Going to have to make the penalty more severe if you want to modify behavior

I think behavior has been pretty modified. Defenders used to be a lot more vicious with the big hits than they are now.

it's pretty shocking to watch decade of dominance hits. I think it was evolving before the targeting role but it's pretty remarkable how much behavior has changed

yes Jarrod Cooper was one of my favorite players growing up b/c he would always bring the lumber but i'm pretty sure 99% of his highlight reel would be flagged in today's game. Also that tech game where allan evridge looked like he was murdered on live television

I still remember that play, man that was brutal AF
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 22, 2020, 10:42:31 PM »
Going to have to make the penalty more severe if you want to modify behavior

I think behavior has been pretty modified. Defenders used to be a lot more vicious with the big hits than they are now.

it's pretty shocking to watch decade of dominance hits. I think it was evolving before the targeting role but it's pretty remarkable how much behavior has changed

yes Jarrod Cooper was one of my favorite players growing up b/c he would always bring the lumber but i'm pretty sure 99% of his highlight reel would be flagged in today's game. Also that tech game where allan evridge looked like he was murdered on live television

I still remember that play, man that was brutal AF

to show how quickly times have changed, Tech actually honored that hit with a video retrospective complete with interviews from Slay and Evridge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4a-JVXS6NU

lol @ the no-name-on-the-jersey season

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 23, 2020, 05:27:26 AM »
Campbell has used his agent to convey he is looking for Ohio State or Notre Dame so I guess take that for what it’s worth

Yeah this has become obvious, the media parrots up here have said as much. I do think when Michigan becomes open next fall it won't be something he'll just dismiss, likewise if Penn State opens up in the next year or two.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 24, 2020, 10:21:16 AM »
While programs like OSU and ND are always just two years away from potentially opening, they don't appear to be opening any time soon.  He better believe he can keep ISU humming at 8 wins.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 24, 2020, 11:31:25 AM »
While programs like OSU and ND are always just two years away from potentially opening, they don't appear to be opening any time soon.  He better believe he can keep ISU humming at 8 wins.

I don’t there is any reason to think he can’t keep them at 7-5 to 9-3 in perpetuity until a job opens.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 24, 2020, 12:08:18 PM »

I don’t there is any reason to think he can’t keep them at 7-5 to 9-3 in perpetuity until a job opens.

If his recruiting classes keep coming in the 50s there's plenty of reasons to think that. You miss on one quarterback or have bad injury luck then you get into trouble. LHC Bill Snyder made that look easier than it really was but that eventually caught up to him too, twice.

Campbell and Klieman both will need to recruit better to meet the demands of his fan base. #CyclONEnation is happy now but let them keep toiling on the fringes of the top 25, they'll turn. They will expect to be back in the Big 12 championship game next year. An 8-4 regular season won't feel nearly as good.

It's why I think any coach that has the ability to go to a school that affords them the opportunity to recruit better than where they are currently should always take that chance. As bad of shape as Michigan is in now they still have the #11 ranked signing class in the country.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 24, 2020, 12:16:29 PM »
You have a better perspective than I on Iowa State but it’s hard for me to see them turning on Matt Campbell for 7-5 and 8-4 seasons.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 24, 2020, 01:36:37 PM »
You have a better perspective than I on Iowa State but it’s hard for me to see them turning on Matt Campbell for 7-5 and 8-4 seasons.

I reject the notion that Iowa State fans are any more loyal than any other Midwest or southern P5 fan base. The thought that they sold out their stadium when they were bad is simply untrue. They didn't even sell out the season in 2019. They rarely sold out the stadium even against Iowa. Anyway, that as the back drop, if they go 8-4 next year they will fall short of their expectation of making the CCG. They are saying, rightfully so, that 2021 will be their best team ever. 8-4 will be a regression 7-5 will be a steep regression, they aren't better than anyone else, they will be disappointed, just like we were with Bill both times when he failed to meet our expectations, never mind the fact everyone else didn't understand that people here were unhappy with Bill averaging 7.5 wins a year from '13-18. Once you know you can get Porterhouse you aren't going to be cool going back to flank steak.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 24, 2020, 02:18:54 PM »

I reject the notion that Iowa State fans are any more loyal than any other Midwest or southern P5 fan base. The thought that they sold out their stadium when they were bad is simply untrue. They didn't even sell out the season in 2019. They rarely sold out the stadium even against Iowa. Anyway, that as the back drop, if they go 8-4 next year they will fall short of their expectation of making the CCG. They are saying, rightfully so, that 2021 will be their best team ever. 8-4 will be a regression 7-5 will be a steep regression, they aren't better than anyone else, they will be disappointed, just like we were with Bill both times when he failed to meet our expectations, never mind the fact everyone else didn't understand that people here were unhappy with Bill averaging 7.5 wins a year from '13-18. Once you know you can get Porterhouse you aren't going to be cool going back to flank steak.

:lol: at the steak comparison.

I do think that Campbell can average 7.5 wins a year at ISU and they will still be happy to have him.

To go off your point.... ISU got to taste the porterhouse once when their boss let them tag along to a business dinner since everyone else from the company was sick.

They were happy to go and eat the steak but they know they probably won't get to go again and definitely can't afford it on their own. They just recently got promoted up a level and are able to afford flank steak instead of hamburger helper.

And you know what? Flank steak isn't all that bad when you've been eating hamburger helper all your life. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 24, 2020, 02:42:01 PM »

:lol: at the steak comparison.

I do think that Campbell can average 7.5 wins a year at ISU and they will still be happy to have him.

To go off your point.... ISU got to taste the porterhouse once when their boss let them tag along to a business dinner since everyone else from the company was sick.

They were happy to go and eat the steak but they know they probably won't get to go again and definitely can't afford it on their own. They just recently got promoted up a level and are able to afford flank steak instead of hamburger helper.

And you know what? Flank steak isn't all that bad when you've been eating hamburger helper all your life.

:ROFL:

I'm doing steak and salmon tomorrow, my wife offered to buy the steak but I had to mush her because she has no idea.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #387 on: March 03, 2021, 01:23:45 PM »
My God

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: March 03, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »
Happy belated v-day havs

Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #389 on: March 03, 2021, 06:36:18 PM »

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #390 on: March 05, 2021, 09:22:47 AM »
The number of people who think this is real is giving me life this morning

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 05, 2021, 09:27:24 AM »

The geography makes me very uncomfortable

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #392 on: March 05, 2021, 11:11:07 AM »

SORRY CATS. WE'RE CLEVELAND'S BIG 12 TEAM!!!!  :emawkid:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 05, 2021, 02:22:38 PM »
A little jelly, not going to lie.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2021, 03:36:46 PM »
Quote from: MakeItRain
Once you know you can get Porterhouse you aren't going to be cool going back to flank steak.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I ultimately keep coming back to the thought of, isn't that how it should be? Shouldn't we always attempt to, and believe that we can compete for CCG? Who's okay with just being average?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2021, 03:43:08 PM »
Quote from: MakeItRain
Once you know you can get Porterhouse you aren't going to be cool going back to flank steak.

I've been thinking about this for a while, and I ultimately keep coming back to the thought of, isn't that how it should be? Shouldn't we always attempt to, and believe that we can compete for CCG? Who's okay with just being average?

No one is okay with being average purple oil, no one. Now that Iowa State fans got a little taste of success, even they will never  again act like 6-6 is a reason to drink Memphis out of Busch Light.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 06, 2021, 12:19:35 PM »

SORRY CATS. WE'RE CLEVELAND'S BIG 12 TEAM!!!!  :emawkid:
I'm talking about the state outlines and their relative positions

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 06, 2021, 06:50:13 PM »
It rules that we beat Iowa state to make them have a donut when we absolutely sucked crap all year too.  I didn’t watch a single minute of Kstate hoops in conference play and only a bit all year but that is something to smile about.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 07, 2021, 12:02:00 PM »
Yes, same on all fronts KK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire