Author Topic: Thank God for Iowa State  (Read 68257 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Thank God for Iowa State
« Reply #350 on: December 20, 2020, 07:03:45 PM »
As to Auburn, NC State, Kentucky, Ole Miss and North Carolina, I'd have to look up standings and see if they're going by merit or because conference-mates shut down. And lol at bowls getting their images hurt by Indiana and mold aggie.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 20, 2020, 10:22:43 PM »
As to Auburn, NC State, Kentucky, Ole Miss and North Carolina, I'd have to look up standings and see if they're going by merit or because conference-mates shut down. And lol at bowls getting their images hurt by Indiana and mold aggie.

It will just enlighten you to just how shitty the Big 12 bowl ties are compared to the SEC and Big 10. The Texas Bowl is either the 7th or 8th bowl tie in for the SEC depending if they get their usual 2 CFP spots, it's the 4th for the Big 12.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 21, 2020, 08:06:53 AM »
I think they are an interesting case study as to how an underdog upstart can make themselves so unlikable. Like imagine if Rocky was Lumburgh from office space

https://twitter.com/rjfox92/status/1340761944966516744

i know this sizzling hot take won't be a popular opinion on this blog, but iowa state fans are kinda royals-ing it up. Like that year the AL all star team was like 8 royals? yeah literally nobody except KC fans wanted that and it wasn't adorable it just looked weird/desperate.

also i think if i was that official that he kept menacingly point at...I think i would have just walked up to him just to see what he was going to do. like okay my dude you already look like an ass...what's that, friend? you want to go ahead and blow up your entire career right now? have at it, chief.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2020, 11:23:35 AM »
Honestly, I was just happy that somebody finally told BigXII refs what the rest of this country already knows, that they're a complete laughingstock. I'm sick of this conference protecting the officiating crews when we've got years and years of blatant, egregious, and erroneous calls in games all across this conference.

Also, since we all love Jomboy here: this is gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ka9VM7F2Y

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 21, 2020, 12:15:08 PM »
Honestly, I was just happy that somebody finally told BigXII refs what the rest of this country already knows, that they're a complete laughingstock. I'm sick of this conference protecting the officiating crews when we've got years and years of blatant, egregious, and erroneous calls in games all across this conference.

Also, since we all love Jomboy here: this is gold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2ka9VM7F2Y

But the call and the non call were both correct :dunno:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #355 on: December 21, 2020, 07:02:34 PM »
Agreed, MIR. Coach looked like a complete clown.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 21, 2020, 07:08:26 PM »
Agreed, MIR. Coach looked like a complete clown.

I'd say worse than a clown. He comes off as someone who gets off on bullying people. like a real piece of crap.

(this does not make him unique among college football coaches)

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 22, 2020, 08:26:17 AM »
Yes because refs in the B12, especially the B12 CCG, are known for calling flawless, by the book games of football. I'd never expect them to throw a questionable flag that isn't in accordance with the rule book.

The targeting call I don't agree with, not because it wasn't by the rule, but because the rule should be changed. The way it's written a defender is basically expected to change directions mid tackle if the ball carrier falls and his head goes into the path of the defenders shoulder. It's not realistic.
I agree with the 'offsides' that technically it's a no call, it just seemed like a bizzare no call, especially that second time. I'm not sure how contact wasn't made, even in the slightest, nor do I understand why no one on the Iowa State line didn't put a hand up, or flinch. Still... Oklahoma is full of meth and trailer parks. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 22, 2020, 08:50:21 AM »
If Drake Stoops' ass wasn't completely on the ground when Young drove his shoulder pads onto the back of his head, it was an inch or so from being as such. Young tried for an unnecessary big hit. If Sean McDonough wasn't so loudly wrong with his "that's football" take, we wouldn't even be talking about this. Not only was it textbook targeting, I mean what else was he expecting to hit when the receiver was literally sitting down, but it was late as well.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 22, 2020, 08:51:54 AM »
I mean come on here, this is the dumbest controversy ever

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: December 22, 2020, 09:17:05 AM »
I disagree. It's easy to pick apart and make that call with still shots, but that play unfolded fairly quickly and when Isheem Young starts to go in for the hit Stoops was still mostly upright. If Stoops had stayed up and successfully spun around like he was trying to do, it would've been a clean hit, and Iowa State wouldn't have been without one of their top defensive players. Instead, he went ahead and fell down, Young make strong contact with his head, and the refs threw a flag.

Yes, it's textbook targeting, which is why my argument is the rule needs to be changed. That shouldn't have been a penalty.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #361 on: December 22, 2020, 10:26:53 AM »
I do like the ISU/Royals comparison, having lived in KC when all that went down. Things are fun right now. Would have been better with a timeout called.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 22, 2020, 10:34:53 AM »
I do like the ISU/Royals comparison, having lived in KC when all that went down. Things are fun right now. Would have been better with a timeout called.

You always seemed like a good dude and I am happy for you. Glad you're enjoying it!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #363 on: December 22, 2020, 11:11:41 AM »
Man, you're coach is a lunatic. I haven't watched many ISU games except with Cats. Is he usually that unhinged about things?

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #364 on: December 22, 2020, 11:45:08 AM »
Man, you're coach is a lunatic. I haven't watched many ISU games except with Cats. Is he usually that unhinged about things?

Virtually never.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 22, 2020, 12:02:46 PM »
I disagree. It's easy to pick apart and make that call with still shots, but that play unfolded fairly quickly and when Isheem Young starts to go in for the hit Stoops was still mostly upright. If Stoops had stayed up and successfully spun around like he was trying to do, it would've been a clean hit, and Iowa State wouldn't have been without one of their top defensive players. Instead, he went ahead and fell down, Young make strong contact with his head, and the refs threw a flag.

Yes, it's textbook targeting, which is why my argument is the rule needs to be changed. That shouldn't have been a penalty.

I think rules based on intent are hardly enforceable and just lead to more whiney fanbases like Iowa State.  It builds a grey area into a rule that every penalized fanbase will live in.

Stoops also wasn't even close to upright when Young puts his head down for the hit.  Right before the hit with Stoops nearly on the ground and Young watching him while fully upright.  It was targeting and intentional, although the intentional part is irrelevant to me.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 22, 2020, 12:05:00 PM »
Going to have to make the penalty more severe if you want to modify behavior
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 22, 2020, 01:10:43 PM »

Chicat already showed that Young didn't start his launch until Stoops was damn near down. If you want to ignore that and still say Stoops was upright then you have to acknowledge that Young would then be aiming to launch, not wrap up, into Stoops' knee area, which is also dirty, not illegal in college but undoubtedly dirty as hell.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 22, 2020, 01:16:32 PM »
Guys let's not lose sight of the most important thing, which is that Jomboy called them "Iowa" several times during that video   :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 22, 2020, 01:22:53 PM »
That doesn't anger them as much as you would think.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 22, 2020, 03:12:42 PM »

I think behavior has been pretty modified. Defenders used to be a lot more vicious with the big hits than they are now.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 22, 2020, 03:17:00 PM »

I think behavior has been pretty modified. Defenders used to be a lot more vicious with the big hits than they are now.

it's pretty shocking to watch decade of dominance hits. I think it was evolving before the targeting role but it's pretty remarkable how much behavior has changed

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 22, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »

it's pretty shocking to watch decade of dominance hits. I think it was evolving before the targeting role but it's pretty remarkable how much behavior has changed

yes Jarrod Cooper was one of my favorite players growing up b/c he would always bring the lumber but i'm pretty sure 99% of his highlight reel would be flagged in today's game. Also that tech game where allan evridge looked like he was murdered on live television

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #373 on: December 22, 2020, 03:42:07 PM »
That doesn't anger them as much as you would think.

I've become numb to it.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #374 on: December 22, 2020, 03:44:55 PM »
Hello Haverhill. Your team belongs in the Fiesta Bowl. Your fans and media are weirdos who don't know the rules of football and have a persecution complex. Your coach looked like an ass on national television yesterday. You would be in the CFP if Skylar Thompson was your quarterback.

Gotta be good and get wins under your belt to chisel away at persecution complex. Unfortunately persecution complex extends beyond sports in the Midwest (as I've learned in Nebraska) so I don't see that changing. As fans watch more meaningful games, they'll understand the system more. 1980 Wildcat fans probably weren't up to date on every rule or how conference standings work.