Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 94310 times)

The Big Train

Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2015, 01:13:32 PM »
And population percentages should be equally reflected in a university's staff? I don't agree with that.
It seems reasonable for a public institution to at least make an effort to achieve that goal.

should they do that with football scholarships too?

That's a ridiculous false equivalency, but do white football players have a historic and systematic difficulty getting football scholarships?

I could interpret your viewpoint on this as you believing that the university can't find enough qualified teachers to have a representative percentage of black faculty, but I won't do that.

you could also make an argument that if its as bad there as we are all hearing, that minorities in general wouldnt want to work there.  i mean if you cant even walk across campus without running in to that, why would you want to work there?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2015, 01:16:53 PM »
And population percentages should be equally reflected in a university's staff? I don't agree with that.
It seems reasonable for a public institution to at least make an effort to achieve that goal.

That's a ridiculous false equivalency, but do white football players have a historic and systematic difficulty getting football scholarships?

I could interpret your viewpoint on this as you believing that the university can't find enough qualified teachers to have a representative percentage of black faculty, but I won't do that.

you could also make an argument that if its as bad there as we are all hearing, that minorities in general wouldnt want to work there.  i mean if you cant even walk across campus without running in to that, why would you want to work there?
That's a pretty stupid argument. But I suppose you can make it if you want to.

The Big Train

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2015, 01:18:12 PM »
im not making it, just throwing it out there if we are going to pick and choose what viewpoint we are going to view

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2015, 01:18:52 PM »
ok

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
i just dont understand why everyone cant be friends, like, it would solve a bunch of problems if everyone was just buds with one another
Or at very least not actively being assholes  to ppl you dont want to associate with. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2015, 01:32:56 PM »
unsurprisingly, tigerboard is extremely nasty right now. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2015, 01:35:19 PM »
Assuming they are not siding with the students.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 01:39:01 PM »
MU  pres just tweeted a statement that said, w re to the student demands, "we already met on this like 6 months ago and totally planned on doing all those demands anyway".

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2015, 01:39:27 PM »

That's a pretty stupid argument. But I suppose you can make it if you want to.

I actually agree with tbt. A perceived hostile work environment would absolutely cut into the number of qualified minority applicants they get. That burden falls on the administration to fix, it isn't the fault of the minority candidates.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2015, 01:45:37 PM »
Yeah I thought he was making the argument to say the conditions really weren't all that bad if people of color wanted to work there

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2015, 01:46:02 PM »
My point is if there's an opening for an English teacher, they should take applications and then hire someone. I'm sure there's plenty of quailfied people out there for those jobs, black white or other. To mandate a percentage is not something I'd do.

Cartier, people get jobs all of the time not based on merit. This is a college campus they graduate qualified minority applicants for these jobs every semester. Hiring percentages are asked for because it has been proven time and time again that without them minority candidates won't be given a fair shot. Add to that Missouri's history and the fact that minorities are also underrepresented in the decision making of the hiring process, you are out of your mind if you think that the process it's fair and at least some qualified minority candidates are given equal opportunity.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »

Or they could just focus on hiring the most qualified people.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2015, 01:48:53 PM »
 :lol: was one of the demands really that he "admit his white privilege?"
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2015, 01:49:37 PM »
Yeah I thought he was making the argument to say the conditions really weren't all that bad if people of color wanted to work there

I hope he wasn't saying that, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he were I'd use his point and cartiers to springboard into inferior opportunities minorities are forced to take to even get a chance.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2015, 01:50:38 PM »
I think mc misunderstood
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2015, 01:50:55 PM »

Man, that'd be nice wouldn't it?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2015, 01:56:01 PM »

Man, that'd be nice wouldn't it?

Says the guy who favors hiring quotas based on skin pigmentation.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
it's times like this that I appreciate our ks farm types for mainly just being farmy and not super racisty like the Missouri small town people are.

The Big Train

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2015, 01:57:39 PM »

I hope he wasn't saying that, I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he were I'd use his point and cartiers to springboard into inferior opportunities minorities are forced to take to even get a chance.

you understood my point, mich didnt

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2015, 02:00:02 PM »
My point is if there's an opening for an English teacher, they should take applications and then hire someone. I'm sure there's plenty of quailfied people out there for those jobs, black white or other. To mandate a percentage is not something I'd do.

Cartier, people get jobs all of the time not based on merit. This is a college campus they graduate qualified minority applicants for these jobs every semester. Hiring percentages are asked for because it has been proven time and time again that without them minority candidates won't be given a fair shot. Add to that Missouri's history and the fact that minorities are also underrepresented in the decision making of the hiring process, you are out of your mind if you think that the process it's fair and at least some qualified minority candidates are given equal opportunity.

ok

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2015, 02:03:12 PM »

you understood my point, mich didnt
Yep, my mistake!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2015, 02:05:09 PM »
I invite you to watch this video and tell me something hasn't gone seriously awry with PC zealotry on college campuses. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3308422/Students-rage-professor-sent-email-telling-students-just-look-away-offended-Halloween-costumes.html

I suppose it could be argued that college students were always this juvenile, only it's now being memorialized forever online. But I think the kids are getting worse. It's a toxic mixture of entitlement and immaturity, and the colleges are just enabling it. They are not doing these children a service.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2015, 02:11:07 PM »
Looks like Wolfe better go ahead and fire Pinkel right now.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2015, 02:11:40 PM »
Yeah, not wanting crap swastikas and being called a n-word on campus is very entitled and immature.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2015, 02:13:49 PM »
The getting worse part is merely this generation  growing up in a slightly  less mumped up time than their parents and actually having the audacity to think they shouldn't have to endure shitty behavior from society.