Author Topic: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike  (Read 92782 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: I think the Missouri football players just went on strike
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2015, 12:22:10 PM »

Care to take a stab at clearly stating why they're pissed? It isn't easy.

It seems to just be the normal list of BLM grievances. I saw specific reference to Michael Brown / Ferguson. That's your first warning flag. If you're still holding to the belief that Michael Brown was an innocent person trying to surrender, gunned down for being black, despite all evidence to the contrary, you're a nut.

Also, I appreciate that chum is demonstrating some scepticism ITT.  :cheers:

There was no reference to Ferguson in their demands.

I was talking about hunger strike loon. He says his activism started with Ferguson and he is upset the university didn't "do more."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/06/black-grad-student-on-hunger-strike-in-mo-after-swastika-drawn-with-human-feces/
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
Mizzou's game against BYU next week at arrowhead is a "whiteout."

my dear lord...

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2015, 12:25:21 PM »
The students don't really have a clear message out, so their efforts sort of come across as silly - like the gravely significant issue at hand is being able to have a pleasant campus experience. But, you know, they're students.

Ummmm, seems clear to me, they did have a list of eight demands. Did you read those articles and couldn't figure out that their issue is that the administration has been silent on historical and systematic racism and now the solution is the removal of said administration?

So, the gravely significant issue at hand is having an administration that says things the students think it should say?
:rolleyes:

You're right, it's complicated, I said that with my first post. Again, reading stuff from Missouri and people associated with Mizzou they seem to have a firm grasp of what their issues are. If they are sincere with this issue, and it seems clear that they are, it isn't important for them to make this issue clear with people hundreds of miles away who haven't been on that campus and see things through your eyes. Just because it isn't clear to you and me doesn't make it less important to them. This isn't for or about us.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
Wait, Pinkel supporting this? Wow.

https://twitter.com/GaryPinkel/status/663410502370856960

What does that say about Missouri's administration? I assume there is a division within.

The KC Star link indicates that there are issues within the administration with this and other issues. Kim English's twitter timeline also indicates that there has been trouble going back to the hiring of R. Bowen Loftin.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2015, 12:30:38 PM »
Just because it isn't clear to you and me doesn't make it less important to them.  This isn't for or about us.
Well, i mean, some of it is.  The football team going on strike is, at least in part, an attempt to garner broader attention to the issue (and a very successful one at that!).  Now that they have the nation's attention, I think "wait what exactly is the problem?" is a fair response. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2015, 12:31:06 PM »
Ok I looked it up, people do 25-40 day water fasting pretty routinely and claim there are some health benefits, The Mizzou pres shouldn't pay any attention to this until at least day 60,  we need to make sure this kid isn't playing games.  Also how are we going to be sure his buddies are not slipping him snacks?
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2015, 12:33:06 PM »
Just because it isn't clear to you and me doesn't make it less important to them.  This isn't for or about us.
Well, i mean, some of it is.  The football team going on strike is, at least in part, an attempt to garner broader attention to the issue (and a very successful one at that!).  Now that they have the nation's attention, I think "wait what exactly is the problem?" is a fair response.

The have listed demands.  You can find those if you are interested.  I think understanding the context and the campus climate is difficult to do as not much media attention has really yet been created.  I think you will have good reporting soon that will make that more clear.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2015, 12:33:46 PM »

It seems to just be the normal list of BLM grievances. I saw specific reference to Michael Brown / Ferguson. That's your first warning flag. If you're still holding to the belief that Michael Brown was an innocent person trying to surrender, gunned down for being black, despite all evidence to the contrary, you're a nut.

Also, I appreciate that chum is demonstrating some scepticism ITT.  :cheers:

There was no reference to Ferguson in their demands.

I was talking about hunger strike loon. He says his activism started with Ferguson and he is upset the university didn't "do more."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/11/06/black-grad-student-on-hunger-strike-in-mo-after-swastika-drawn-with-human-feces/

Why is he a loon? Are you so blind and intolerant of the thoughts and views of others that you can't appreciate the desperation of this man and the extreme length he feels like he needs to go so that he can be heard?

Also I'm guessing chum isn't counting you as an ally, his questions are far different from your proclamations.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2015, 12:36:30 PM »

The have listed demands.  You can find those if you are interested.  I think understanding the context and the campus climate is difficult to do as not much media attention has really yet been created.  I think you will have good reporting soon that will make that more clear.
Right but the listed demands don't really give any context. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
I started to type "Black students demands missouri protest" into google and it started guessing "Black students demand free tuition."  :frown:

The Big Train

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2015, 12:39:19 PM »
i just dont understand why everyone cant be friends, like, it would solve a bunch of problems if everyone was just buds with one another

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »

No one ask those football players to join the protest, they were going to protest the football game which is a direct protest against the football game. I don't think anyone is in the position to judge their motives other than what they described they were, they're also tired and they want to support their peers. Just because they got media attention doesn't mean they sought it out.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2015, 12:44:04 PM »
Ok I read the demands. I cannot fully empathize with the students, since I'm not a minority, but it seems to me the demands are going to be hard to meet, and they seem a bit misguided. I don't see how they can just increase the staff of the university to 10% African American? How will that happen? Also, what's the percentage now? If its 9.5% that's one thing but what if its 3%? I don't get how that will work. Also, the demand is an apology, an admintance of his white male privalege, and then for the guy to get fired? Why would he do number 1 if he was going to get fired anyway?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2015, 12:45:15 PM »
No one ask those football players to join the protest, they were going to protest the football game which is a direct protest against the football game. I don't think anyone is in the position to judge their motives other than what they described they were, they're also tired and they want to support their peers. Just because they got media attention doesn't mean they sought it out.
That's a fair point, I guess.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2015, 12:45:39 PM »

Right but the listed demands don't really give any context.

The context is the swastika and the two incidents of people being called niggers in the open on campus followed by inaction by the administration. Again worth noting that things like this aren't new to that campus.

Maybe sorta related but did anyone see anonymous' list of doxxed kkk members? It was very Missouri heavy.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2015, 12:48:24 PM »
Missouri, especially farther from the Kansas border, is a pretty weird place

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »
Ok I read the demands. I cannot fully empathize with the students, since I'm not a minority, but it seems to me the demands are going to be hard to meet, and they seem a bit misguided. I don't see how they can just increase the staff of the university to 10% African American? How will that happen? Also, what's the percentage now? If its 9.5% that's one thing but what if its 3%? I don't get how that will work. Also, the demand is an apology, an admintance of his white male privalege, and then for the guy to get fired? Why would he do number 1 if he was going to get fired anyway?
I'm guessing that if he gave an apology and put a reasonable plan in place to increase minority hiring most the football strike would end.

The Big Train

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2015, 12:49:29 PM »
Maybe sorta related but did anyone see anonymous' list of doxxed kkk members? It was very Missouri heavy.

i was very happy when they started taking over those twitter accounts and outing those POS people

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »

The demands aren't hard to meet IMO, the time frame was questionable but that's why they negotiated, the negotiation resulted in the system president saying no to everything, that's inexcusable, there are some things on that list that can be enacted today.

BTW, as of fall of 2014 African Americans make up 11% of the state's population, 7% of the students on campus, but only 3% of the school's full time faculty.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »
And population percentages should be equally reflected in a university's staff? I don't agree with that.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2015, 01:03:07 PM »
And population percentages should be equally reflected in a university's staff? I don't agree with that.
It seems reasonable for a public institution to at least make an effort to achieve that goal.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2015, 01:03:49 PM »
It seems reasonable for a public institution to at least make an effort to achieve that goal.

should they do that with football scholarships too?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »
BTW this is the president addressing students on Friday night.

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/663186744876007426

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2015, 01:08:41 PM »

should they do that with football scholarships too?

That's a ridiculous false equivalency, but do white football players have a historic and systematic difficulty getting football scholarships?

I could interpret your viewpoint on this as you believing that the university can't find enough qualified teachers to have a representative percentage of black faculty, but I won't do that.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2015, 01:12:10 PM »
My point is if there's an opening for an English teacher, they should take applications and then hire someone. I'm sure there's plenty of quailfied people out there for those jobs, black white or other. To mandate a percentage is not something I'd do.