Author Topic: Disney World  (Read 73087 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Disney World
« Reply #175 on: June 08, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »
pete if you stay on disney property (not including the swan dolphin) you can check you luggage at MCO and it will arrive at your hotel room. No picking it up at the baggage claim. also they have free busses to the park. you just go to this special disney area and they throw you on your hotels bus and off you go. pretty efficient and not as awful as I assumed it would be. no car seats being the big benefit here. then you don't need a car at all the entire time because they have pretty great transportation (boats, trains, buses) to everywhere.

The Disney busses from airport worked well. But be advised that your luggage probably won't arrive at your room for hours after you arrive at the resort. So make sure you've got everything you need for the day in a separate carry-on.

I know it's tempting to go when the office is shut down anyway, but if vacation days or pulling kids out of school is an issue, I'd still go in early December and shorten my trip by a couple days. It's just so much more enjoyable. Also, Disney sometimes runs "free dining" promotions during the deadest parts of the year to get people to the resorts. Not sure how far in advance they announce that.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 08, 2016, 07:49:38 AM »
OK.  I trust you guys.  I am going to shoot for the week after thanksgiving.

What about the week after that?  Is the point here that the week after thanksgiving is THE deadest of them all?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 08, 2016, 08:22:44 AM »

What about the week after that?  Is the point here that the week after thanksgiving is THE deadest of them all?

Those two weeks are about equally dead (assuming a saturday to saturday). Both very dead. The next week is a bit busier with the last few days getting really busy. The next two weeks are going to be nightmarish.  Nov 27-Dec 16 are the days you need to squeeze your vacation into, and Dec 1-11 are the lowest crowds of those dates.

Like, you have friends that absolutely loath disneyworld right? it's because they went during the summer when school was out, over spring break, over Christmas to new years, thanksgiving week, memorial day, etc. And probably stayed at some reasonably nice off site hotel and rented a car. I would hate the crap out of that trip as well.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 08, 2016, 11:19:55 AM »

Those two weeks are about equally dead (assuming a saturday to saturday). Both very dead. The next week is a bit busier with the last few days getting really busy. The next two weeks are going to be nightmarish.  Nov 27-Dec 16 are the days you need to squeeze your vacation into, and Dec 1-11 are the lowest crowds of those dates.

Like, you have friends that absolutely loath disneyworld right? it's because they went during the summer when school was out, over spring break, over Christmas to new years, thanksgiving week, memorial day, etc. And probably stayed at some reasonably nice off site hotel and rented a car. I would hate the crap out of that trip as well.

OK, I am going to do this.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 08, 2016, 11:27:21 AM »
we're staying at one of the Wyndham properties just near WDW in the coming weeks.  would like to just take a shuttle or something from the airport and not mess with a rental car, will we need to take a car seat down there or ?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:00 AM »
we're staying at one of the Wyndham properties just near WDW in the coming weeks.  would like to just take a shuttle or something from the airport and not mess with a rental car, will we need to take a car seat down there or ?

well, how are you going to get to the parks and back? I can assure you the wyndham's bussing system sucks crap.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2016, 11:49:11 AM »

well, how are you going to get to the parks and back? I can assure you the wyndham's transportation system sucks crap.

they said their transportation runs every so often, you just have to let them know like an hour before you want to go, so that was the plan to get to the parks and back.  is that a shittier plan than getting a rental?  was gonna just uber from the airport to the resort.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2016, 11:50:18 AM »
I'd honestly rent a car if I were you. You hear a lot of stories about the off property complimentary shuttles and whatnot. none of them positive.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2016, 11:56:23 AM »
thanks, maybe i'll do that instead.  you done the rental down there before?  is it a zoo driving around the parks?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
thanks, maybe i'll do that instead.  you done the rental down there before?  is it a zoo driving around the parks?

no, we always stay on property so we have never needed one. I think it's easy enough to drive around. you never see long lines of cars or anything.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2016, 11:59:08 AM »

no, we always stay on property so we have never needed one. I think it's easy enough to drive around. you never see long lines of cars or anything.

cool, thanks

wife booked the hotel, this will be our first time down there as adults with a kid, so should have visited this thread before accommodations were made, but it was kind of a last minute thing

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2016, 12:17:45 PM »
I've driven around down there. No waiting in traffic. They're like super badasses at parking operations or something.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2016, 04:17:14 PM »
When is the best time to go to Disney if you want to avoid children?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2016, 04:24:17 PM »
The times I said

Offline The Whale

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2016, 07:20:16 PM »
Going for two weeks at the beginning of September, and should hit the very beginning of food and wine festival.  Parks should be nearly dead.

Taking the kids is a blast when the parks are empty.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2016, 10:18:58 PM »

cool, thanks

wife booked the hotel, this will be our first time down there as adults with a kid, so should have visited this thread before accommodations were made, but it was kind of a last minute thing
the biggest downside to renting a car and driving in from off property is if you are leaving when everyone else is (like at closing time) because after dealing with crowds all day you either have take a boat or ride the monorail and there can be a pretty big line.  Chum is right Disney is BITB in getting you in and out of the parking lot but the trek back to the car at midnight with a worn out 5 year old on your shoulders can make a $400 on property room sound like a great use of cash.

I imagine lil'MM is on the young side so shutting down the park is unlikely but this may come up if everybody is leaving due to rainstorm or something.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 09, 2016, 08:20:24 AM »

cool, thanks

the biggest downside to renting a car and driving in from off property is if you are leaving when everyone else is (like at closing time) because after dealing with crowds all day you either have take a boat or ride the monorail and there can be a pretty big line.  Chum is right Disney is BITB in getting you in and out of the parking lot but the trek back to the car at midnight with a worn out 5 year old on your shoulders can make a $400 on property room sound like a great use of cash.

I imagine lil'MM is on the young side so shutting down the park is unlikely but this may come up if everybody is leaving due to rainstorm or something.

close to 4 years old.  oh man, decisions decisions.  I don't think there's any way we're there that late, but this is our first time lil babe meow meow is going so that's a real wildcard.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 09, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
That kid must hate you.  :frown:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 09, 2016, 08:48:40 AM »
That kid must hate you.  :frown:

because I can't decide between a rental car or not?  seems unlikely

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 09, 2016, 08:56:54 AM »
close to 4 years old.  oh man, decisions decisions.  I don't think there's any way we're there that late, but this is our first time lil babe meow meow is going so that's a real wildcard.

We only went for one day, but here's what we did and it was perfect for us. Arrived when the park opened, drove back to hotel early-afternoon for a nap, returned to the park early evening, and then stayed until close.

This allowed us to avoid the biggest crowds and hottest time of day. And there's no way we would have made it all the way through to the end of the day for the light parade and fireworks (which were pretty enjoyable for us) without getting that mid-day break.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 09, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »

We flew into Orlando last December and rented a car (didn't do Disney, in-laws have a vacation house down there).  Anyway, before you book your rental just pay attention to the stars/customer review rating on Google or something else.  Ours was a nightmare.  I got so pissed I literally threw a shitted diaper at some guy.  The people after us got a raw deal and might have shot up the place (after we left).

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 09, 2016, 09:09:12 AM »
Disney World is gross.

Sea World-Orlando is opening up their new coaster soon tho  :Chirp:
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 09, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »
Disney World is gross.

Sticky kid hands everywhere.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 09, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »
Disney World is gross.

Sticky kid hands everywhere.

it's remarkably clean. like amazingly so. you have over a billion kids eating melting ice cream and crap all day long and there isn't a piece of trash, sticky surface, vomit pile, etc. anywhere. I don't know how they do it.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
 :surprised: