Author Topic: Disney World  (Read 72083 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Disney World
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2016, 03:36:14 PM »
I'm legit going to be at Disney World tomorrow for a week. AMA

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2016, 04:07:49 PM »
I'm legit going to be at Disney World tomorrow for a week. AMA
Hi SD, I am going to be in Orlando from Monday until Wednesday night. No Disney World. :sad: Pretty busy. :Sad: Staying at Grand Cypress.
We are going to be in the same city though! :D

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2016, 05:32:10 PM »
Does Orlando even have grass?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:40 PM »
Dobs, high five

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »

all the more reason to send the big guns

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2016, 06:02:03 PM »
Grass for days...
There is a business in Orlando that SD may frequent that may be a very very very large end user of a Canadian friend's company's products. However, that place of business gets really pissy if you tell people that they use your products. I know that because it happened to a different company one time.
In addition, all homeowners with St. Augustine grass fight southern chinch bugs nearly all year. Lastly, there are just a few golf courses in the Orlando area that grow a little bit of grass as well.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2016, 06:05:48 PM »
do they grow that new strain of grass in Orlando? I think it is called jazz.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
thank you for taking the time to answer my question, slobber
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2016, 01:51:24 PM »
What's your favorite thing to do at WDW?
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2016, 03:59:24 PM »
thank you for taking the time to answer my question, slobber
I'm an average poster. You can expect that from me.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Disney World
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2016, 02:49:59 PM »
OK, I am for reals going to fire up a Disney trip over New Years, right after Xmas.

I am thinking about renting a house with a private heated pool.  I think I can get one for less than $200 per night.  That seems like a good deal.  I have heard that Uber is the way to go when you go to the parks, and a car rental might not even be necessary.

Do any of you Disney pros have experience with this particular arrangement?

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 07, 2016, 02:57:37 PM »
would also like the car rental vs no car rental advice

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 07, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
I've heard the theme parks are ridiculously crowded between xmas and new years and it is basically the worst possible time to go. Could you swing early December instead? I hear that's maybe the best possible time. Low lines and (relatively) lower prices.

If you go between xmas and ny, I'd consider staying on property so you get the "extra magic hours" - special early or late access to the parks for resort guests only.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: June 07, 2016, 03:22:53 PM »
OK, I am for reals going to fire up a Disney trip over New Years, right after Xmas.

I am thinking about renting a house with a private heated pool.  I think I can get one for less than $200 per night.  That seems like a good deal.  I have heard that Uber is the way to go when you go to the parks, and a car rental might not even be necessary.

Do any of you Disney pros have experience with this particular arrangement?

KSUW is correct, this is nightmare timing. Go in early December, it's one of the best times to visit. Still get the XMas stuff but no crowds. The time you suggested is the very busiest time of the year. I have never stayed off property. I probably never will so I can't comment. I'll be there the week of Dec. 3 so keep that in mind for possible group dumbo ride pics.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 07, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »

I've heard the theme parks are ridiculously crowded between xmas and new years and it is basically the worst possible time to go. Could you swing early December instead? I hear that's maybe the best possible time. Low lines and (relatively) lower prices.

If you go between xmas and ny, I'd consider staying on property so you get the "extra magic hours" - special early or late access to the parks for resort guests only.

Is staying on property the only way to get the extra hours?

About 4 years ago, we stayed on property during that same time frame between Xmas and New Years and were at the park when the doors opened each day and it wasn't bad.  Lots of people sleep in, apparently.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 07, 2016, 03:34:35 PM »

Is staying on property the only way to get the extra hours?

About 4 years ago, we stayed on property during that same time frame between Xmas and New Years and were at the park when the doors opened each day and it wasn't bad.  Lots of people sleep in, apparently.

Pretty sure you have to stay on property for the EMH. Also, only one park has the EMH per day, but it goes on a fairly set schedule you can find online. And usually only a select portion of the park is open for EMH.

Jostling through big crowds and standing in long lines sucks. We're going to Universal this summer and it's going to be crowded, but we get unlimited express passes by staying on property so that should hopefully help some.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 07, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
Pete, if you go the first week of December it's like magic hours but all day and also cheaper and also better.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 07, 2016, 06:43:01 PM »
Pull the kids out of school

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 07, 2016, 06:47:07 PM »
Going between Xmas & nye sounds horrible. 

Iirc your kids are getting near their Disney expiration date so either stay on property or go before Christmas.  I almost pull the kids out of school a couple of days early for cheap air fare, its not like they have school Christmas parties anyways.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 07, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »
Also they don't do this after Christmas, the Halloween one was great
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/events-tours/magic-kingdom/mickeys-very-merry-christmas-party/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 07, 2016, 08:13:39 PM »
Have done the Xmas and Halloween one a couple times. Xmas has better fireworks, Halloween a better parade and other stuff.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Disney World
« Reply #171 on: June 07, 2016, 10:16:23 PM »
Hmmmmm, OK.  I will look at early December.  My work almost always shuts down between Christmas and New Years so it's very convenient for me to travel then, which was the only reason I preferred that time initially.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 08, 2016, 03:25:34 AM »
Early December is an absolute blasty-blast. Go to AK or DHS during the day, then spring for the Christmas party hard ticket in the evening at MK. Some of the Christmas-themed entertainment and activities are fun, but the real treat is NO lines. Like, none. Except for maybe Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Even that line is substantially shorter than normal. It's the most fun I've had at WDW by far.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 08, 2016, 07:16:00 AM »
sd ranks his favorite times to go to WDW:

1. Late Sep/Early Oct - Kids back in school = very low crowds. Food and wine festival and Epcot. Still warm enough to do the water parks.

2. The Sat after Thanksgiving thru 7 days before Christmas. As noted above super low crowds. Cooler weather but sometimes still warm enough to hit the water parks. Was 85 when we went early December this year. Christmas lights, shows, special fireworks, etc.

3. Late April/Early May (One week after Easter to One week before Memorial day) - Depends where spring breaks fall which depends when Easter falls so track that. Can be hot. Hit 90 when we were there this time last year. Great for water parks. Good crowds (not as low as #1 and #2 above but low/medium). Flower and Garden festival at Epcot so it's pretty.

We usually stay at the Epcot resorts. Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin. Usually the Swan and Dolphin if we have enough SPG points. Staying at the Boardwalk this Dec. Yacht and Beach Club have the best pool. Swan and Dolphin have the best food and booze. Boardwalk has the best atmosphere imo. Have stayed at the Contemporary as well which would be a good option if you are mostly going to hit the Magic Kingdom.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 08, 2016, 07:21:18 AM »
pete if you stay on disney property (not including the swan dolphin) you can check you luggage at MCO and it will arrive at your hotel room. No picking it up at the baggage claim. also they have free busses to the park. you just go to this special disney area and they throw you on your hotels bus and off you go. pretty efficient and not as awful as I assumed it would be. no car seats being the big benefit here. then you don't need a car at all the entire time because they have pretty great transportation (boats, trains, buses) to everywhere.

If you stay at the Swan/Dolphin I'd get car service to and from the airport and then use the disney transportation which they share.