Author Topic: Bowling Master thread.  (Read 16473 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Bowling Master thread.
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »
blows my mind that bowling alleys are even open!
we have to mask.

oh good no chance of infection then

but seriously I imagine most bowling alleys are pretty well ventilated from the smoking days and hand fans

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »
Went and threw a series last week. (633; 259 high game).

I think I sprained my left ankle when I planted.  May finally be time to start working on sliding.
League starts tonight.  My ankle is in OK shape.
183, 183, 226 -- 592.

Really funky release my first two games brought a low strike rate, and missed a couple easy spares.  Started out the third game with 6 of 7 so I eventually got it figured out.  Had the oppo for the triplicate though!

Want to maintain a 200+ average this season.  Starting at 197 isn't horrible.

not gunna lie i think i would have tried to intentionally get that last game 183 but only b/c its the first week and you're just setting averages. I assume this is a handicap league or is it scratch?
Yeah, after I started out with xxx in the third game, i knew the 183 was likely out the door.  At that point I was just trying to salvage 600.

league is handicap (90% of 210 I think?).  league is sanctioned and i'm pretty sure averages carry over from last season, though I'm not quite sure how all of that works.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2020, 12:18:09 PM »
Went and threw a series last week. (633; 259 high game).

I think I sprained my left ankle when I planted.  May finally be time to start working on sliding.
League starts tonight.  My ankle is in OK shape.
183, 183, 226 -- 592.

Really funky release my first two games brought a low strike rate, and missed a couple easy spares.  Started out the third game with 6 of 7 so I eventually got it figured out.  Had the oppo for the triplicate though!

Want to maintain a 200+ average this season.  Starting at 197 isn't horrible.

not gunna lie i think i would have tried to intentionally get that last game 183 but only b/c its the first week and you're just setting averages. I assume this is a handicap league or is it scratch?
Yeah, after I started out with xxx in the third game, i knew the 183 was likely out the door.  At that point I was just trying to salvage 600.

league is handicap (90% of 210 I think?).  league is sanctioned and i'm pretty sure averages carry over from last season, though I'm not quite sure how all of that works.

I start my league tomorrow and our averages (handicaps) from the previous season do role over for the first 3 weeks (to prevent sand bagging). So the 4th week you start with what your avg would have been after the first 3 weeks.   We are also wearing masks, and each team gets 2 lanes with a group of 2 vacant between each team.  Basically our 16 team league has the entire alley now.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 02, 2020, 01:05:25 PM »
I start my league tomorrow and our averages (handicaps) from the previous season do role over for the first 3 weeks (to prevent sand bagging). So the 4th week you start with what your avg would have been after the first 3 weeks.   We are also wearing masks, and each team gets 2 lanes with a group of 2 vacant between each team.  Basically our 16 team league has the entire alley now.

Ahh that makes sense. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:01 AM »
bowled like complete crap last night: 160, 204, 170 - 534.

Ball had no movement -- think something funky was going on with my release, and had a pretty pathetic strike rate.  Shameful.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »
incorrect placement on the booze curve?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2020, 10:02:04 AM »
i bet sometimes they oil the lanes w/ a sport pattern instead of a house pattern just to take folks down a peg or two

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »
i bet sometimes they oil the lanes w/ a sport pattern instead of a house pattern just to take folks down a peg or two
My home bowling alley does this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 15, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »

high school BAC didn't really understand there were different oil patterns like i thought oil patterns were a standard thing and then the variations were just a product of how recently the lanes had been oiled or how the ppl before you re-distributed the oil. But i had no idea that there were just straight up different patterns so when they would use a sport pattern i was like man i am so bad at bowling now what happened? why do i suck so bad? no crisis of faith quite like unwittingly bowling on a sport pattern.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:34 AM »
What is the difference in the patterns?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2020, 09:51:38 AM »
if the lanes are dryer on the outside and slicker in the middle (house pattern) then they are more forgiving...if you hang one too far outside the the dry boards on the outside will let the ball curve back toward the middle. a sport pattern has a pretty even oil distribution from left to right so if you hang one too far outside then it will just keep sliding.

basically, whatever your margin for error is on a house pattern...your margin for error on a sport pattern shrinks by probably like 90%

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2020, 10:33:55 AM »
Did better this week, but lanes were much dryer.  Threw about a 586 -- not where I want to be, but better.

high school BAC didn't really understand there were different oil patterns like i thought oil patterns were a standard thing and then the variations were just a product of how recently the lanes had been oiled or how the ppl before you re-distributed the oil. But i had no idea that there were just straight up different patterns so when they would use a sport pattern i was like man i am so bad at bowling now what happened? why do i suck so bad? no crisis of faith quite like unwittingly bowling on a sport pattern.
Yes - that's perception exists among everyone.  I remember watching PBA and thinking "jeeze...these guys are only throwing 220s -- that's a really good game, but it's not a REALLY good game"

Then I learned that the lanes I was throwing on were basically a par three course compared to the pebble beach the pros play on.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2020, 11:12:31 AM »
I had no idea, very interesting. Thank you for the explanation.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 29, 2020, 10:51:34 AM »
threw like a 530 lastnight

my release is broke

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 29, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
Sometimes I sub on my co-workers bowling team and WOW...I had no idea about the bowling league sub culture and its fascinating.

Bags to carry your multiple balls? CHECK

Decked out shoes? CHECK

Talk about different oil patterns? CHECK

Have to join some weird association where they track your scores even if your just a sub? CHECK

Everyone from every team knows each other because they have all bowled on the same night for like 20 years? CHECK

Its a blast and the people watching is top notch.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2020, 01:16:27 PM »
I'm a "Grab a house ball off the rack and fire it straight down the middle" type of guy but I usually score around 140-180.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2020, 10:21:52 AM »
ben ji i am legit impressed by anyone who can consistently throw a 150 with a house ball. if i throw a house ball i am terrible.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2020, 01:22:52 PM »
Sometimes I sub on my co-workers bowling team and WOW...I had no idea about the bowling league sub culture and its fascinating.

Decked out shoes? CHECK

Have to join some weird association where they track your scores even if your just a sub? CHECK

Everyone from every team knows each other because they have all bowled on the same night for like 20 years? CHECK

Oh 100%.  I've tried explaining it to people before but it's tough.  You did a really good job.

There are 2 or 3 guys in my league who absolutely lose their crap if things go sideways.  Ball returns beware.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2020, 09:42:02 AM »
D-lew my advice to fixing your bowling release is to just got a little before league and just stand up at the line in the lane and just release the ball from there while slowly adding your approach back in.
This is what has always worked for me so maybe give it a try.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2020, 09:50:12 AM »
would 110% be in favor of a gE.c annual bowling championship at FF. also dunno if its just me but anytime i bowled at the union if i had one of those columns immediately to the right of my lane, even though my rational brain knew i wasn't going to bounce my ball off the column it got in my head and i would end up pulling b/c subconsciously i was telling myself "don't go too far right or you'll hit the column" but hey i'm a very silly boy.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2020, 01:52:20 PM »
would 110% be in favor of a gE.c annual bowling championship at FF. also dunno if its just me but anytime i bowled at the union if i had one of those columns immediately to the right of my lane, even though my rational brain knew i wasn't going to bounce my ball off the column it got in my head and i would end up pulling b/c subconsciously i was telling myself "don't go too far right or you'll hit the column" but hey i'm a very silly boy.
I'm in the same boat, nothing worse than a pillar or a wall next to your lane. Would also love to bowl and pack at FF

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 30, 2020, 01:55:13 PM »
gave my ball a hot soap bath the other night because i think it's become pretty impacted by oil and wooee mama did that make a difference.  strike rate shot up like a rocket this week.  my second game I ended with a 223 i think but i hit the pocket pretty cleanly on all 11 of my first balls.  felt good again.

avg is hanging out at about 191 but there's a lot of room to grow if my ball moves like it did this week.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 30, 2020, 07:05:43 PM »

Decked out shoes? CHECK

Did you ever play in a dart league in college? I've played in both and both are very similar in these aspects.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 12, 2021, 09:48:36 AM »
gave my ball a hot soap bath the other night because i think it's become pretty impacted by oil and wooee mama did that make a difference.  strike rate shot up like a rocket this week.  my second game I ended with a 223 i think but i hit the pocket pretty cleanly on all 11 of my first balls.  felt good again.

avg is hanging out at about 191 but there's a lot of room to grow if my ball moves like it did this week.
Threw a 724 lastnight -- 257 (with an open!), 245, 222.  My first sanctioned 700.

I had a 502 after the first two games and knew I was still (barely) alive for an 800...Was perfect through 5 in the third and then the dream died in the 6th, as I missed a touch high and left the 4.  Missed again in the next frame, leaving the 4, and biffed that spare short.

I got a shitload of strikes lastnight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 18, 2021, 10:04:02 AM »

Decked out shoes? CHECK

Did you ever play in a dart league in college? I've played in both and both are very similar in these aspects.

I subbed a couple of times on a friends team and yes, very similar but bowling has more/cooler accessories.