Author Topic: Bowling Master thread.  (Read 16479 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Bowling Master thread.
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2020, 02:50:48 PM »
first time seeing this thread. I used to be a p good bowler. Don't do it very often anymore so i would have to go 3 or 4 times to get back into form. Anyway, anytime someone (probably not good bowler) suggests "let's go bowling!" i am like hard pass b/c here's the thing, i know its nerdy but i'm good at it and i don't enjoy being meh at it. So no, i'm not going to use house shoes and throw a 120 with a house ball that doesn't fit my hand very well b/c that will be incredibly not fun for me. I also don't want to be the guy who brings his own ball and shoes and throws a 225 while everyone else is just happy to break 100.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2020, 02:58:10 PM »
hey BIG APPLE CAT i feel you on that, and am actually glad to hear someone is in the same boat, as i just went bowling with the fam recently.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
first time seeing this thread. I used to be a p good bowler. Don't do it very often anymore so i would have to go 3 or 4 times to get back into form. Anyway, anytime someone (probably not good bowler) suggests "let's go bowling!" i am like hard pass b/c here's the thing, i know its nerdy but i'm good at it and i don't enjoy being meh at it. So no, i'm not going to use house shoes and throw a 120 with a house ball that doesn't fit my hand very well b/c that will be incredibly not fun for me. I also don't want to be the guy who brings his own ball and shoes and throws a 225 while everyone else is just happy to break 100.
Big Apple cat and I are the same person! Wow. I hate losing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2020, 10:02:31 AM »
I got back into it about a year and a half ago.  Bought a new ball ([Storm Intense] [top of the line at the time]), shoes, bag -- all for about 350 bucks or so (i love telling that to golfers).  Added a spare ball (storm ice) last fall for those pesky ten pins (which I'm converting at about 80-90 percent now).

Last summer I bowled in a league in olathe and carried a 214 average (  :eek: )-- top average in the league and the best i've bowled in my life. Bowled at Ward Parkway last season and went about 196 or so. 

I LOVE competitive bowling again.  I went to Ward Parkway last sunday and threw a 662 (18/33 strikes).   

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2020, 09:44:46 AM »
i did a work league a couple years ago and it was definitely more to be social than it was to be competitive - which is fine - but one night was so infuriating. The other team had such horrible etiquette to the point i was starting to think they were intentionally trying to mess with me. Even though each team only had 4 bowlers show up, they would like, just sit around when it was their turn and not bowl. I don't know that i would normally find this so annoying but when you have thrown the first 7 strikes it gets really annoying when you have to wait 10-15 minutes between throwing a ball. just really hard to keep your momentum. And you look around for the person who should be bowling and its not like they are being a social butterfly or are waiting in line at the bar. Nope. They're just sitting there, not even doing anything...just choosing not to bowl.
When i bowled in competitive leagues, it felt like the general rule of thumb was if someone has a perfect game going you don't do anything to mess with them. No mind games, you just let them do their thing. Like yes we are all competing against each other but we all want someone to have a perfect game. Or, at the very least, you don't want to be the person that was disruptive to someone who was en route to a 300.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2020, 09:47:36 AM »
i did a work league a couple years ago and it was definitely more to be social than it was to be competitive - which is fine - but one night was so infuriating. The other team had such horrible etiquette to the point i was starting to think they were intentionally trying to mess with me. Even though each team only had 4 bowlers show up, they would like, just sit around when it was their turn and not bowl. I don't know that i would normally find this so annoying but when you have thrown the first 7 strikes it gets really annoying when you have to wait 10-15 minutes between throwing a ball. just really hard to keep your momentum. And you look around for the person who should be bowling and its not like they are being a social butterfly or are waiting in line at the bar. Nope. They're just sitting there, not even doing anything...just choosing not to bowl.
When i bowled in competitive leagues, it felt like the general rule of thumb was if someone has a perfect game going you don't do anything to mess with them. No mind games, you just let them do their thing. Like yes we are all competing against each other but we all want someone to have a perfect game. Or, at the very least, you don't want to be the person that was disruptive to someone who was en route to a 300.
I would agree, bowling competitive is a whole different animal. Any one can have a good night but I truly believe bowling a 300 is one of the hardest things to do in sports. So yeah alot of people out of courtesy don't eff with that person. If I'm neck and neck with you I might give you crap tho.

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
I have my own ball but never owned my own shoes. I don't mind playing with a house ball either! Makes the casual games more fun. For a special fun day you can both be kind of competitive/challenge yourself and also maybe entertain your fellow casual bowlers by not using your thumb with a house ball! The spin is hilarious!

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2020, 09:52:32 AM »
I have my own ball but never owned my own shoes. I don't mind playing with a house ball either! Makes the casual games more fun. For a special fun day you can both be kind of competitive/challenge yourself and also maybe entertain your fellow casual bowlers by not using your thumb with a house ball! The spin is hilarious!
Don't go anywhere without my shoes, I think they give you more of an advantage than a ball does.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2020, 10:05:45 AM »
Don't go anywhere without my shoes, I think they give you more of an advantage than a ball does.

I think you're wrong!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2020, 12:38:11 PM »
i feel less like "that guy" bringing my own shoes than i do bringing my own ball. Partly b/c my shoes are just solid black so they don't look like clown shoes like typical rental shoes. also i think most people would give you a pass if you said you didn't want to wear communal shoes.

also my shoes slide the same ev-er-y time. house shoes you just never know.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2020, 06:24:11 AM »
I like to pound mgd pitchers and pack in truckloads of crap pizza when I roll

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2020, 09:48:54 AM »
i feel less like "that guy" bringing my own shoes than i do bringing my own ball. Partly b/c my shoes are just solid black so they don't look like clown shoes like typical rental shoes. also i think most people would give you a pass if you said you didn't want to wear communal shoes.

also my shoes slide the same ev-er-y time. house shoes you just never know.
I made a point to get the loudest looking bowling shoes i can find.  My game deserves the pizzazz.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2020, 09:38:16 AM »
Went and threw a series last week. (633; 259 high game).

I think I sprained my left ankle when I planted.  May finally be time to start working on sliding.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »
I am just really bad at bowling. I don't know that I've ever scored more than 100 pts in a game. 

Is this something that just takes practice, or do my abysmal scores indicate that I don't have "it" when it comes to bowling?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2020, 12:15:12 PM »
I am just really bad at bowling. I don't know that I've ever scored more than 100 pts in a game. 

Is this something that just takes practice, or do my abysmal scores indicate that I don't have "it" when it comes to bowling?

You probably need someone to teach you some basics and then practice. I'd guess you could score in the 100's pretty consistently with an hour or less of coaching - explain the footwork, where to stand, where to aim, and how to adjust where you stand based on how the ball is moving.

(note I was taught to pretty much never change where you aim, just change where you stand)

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2020, 12:29:34 PM »

You probably need someone to teach you some basics and then practice. I'd guess you could score in the 100's pretty consistently with an hour or less of coaching - explain the footwork, where to stand, where to aim, and how to adjust where you stand based on how the ball is moving.

(note I was taught to pretty much never change where you aim, just change where you stand)

Those are all good points, another I'd add is to think about arm angle/the plane your arm moves through. Lots of people don't throw "straight" because they are unknowingly throwing the ball to the left or right simply because they pull their arms in (or out) during their throwing motion (and often using a ball that is too heavy "in to your body" or too light "out of your body"). Or they simply side arm it which is nearly impossible to keep the ball straight since you are wholly dependent on timing the release point.

Basically the plane the ball takes through the throw should be as "in line" with where the ball is going down the lane (like a pendulum in an old clock is a good visual of what your arm should be doing). It also helps to exaggerate the follow through a bit and pull your arm straight up so it goes through the vertical plane of the pin for example.

Then when you add the footwork/throwing location you simple go "left" or "right" by move left or right, not trying to change your motion at all.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2020, 06:04:36 PM »
Drink more.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »
when i was a kid we had saturday morning bowling league and it featured RICK'S TIP OF THE WEEK! and it was the same like 15 tips that they would just recycle but it sounds like chingon could really benefit from RICK'S TIP OF THE WEEK!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2020, 01:13:40 PM »

I think I sprained my left ankle when I planted.  May finally be time to start working on sliding.
League starts tonight.  My ankle is in OK shape.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2020, 02:59:20 PM »
what's the most impressive spare you guys have ever picked up? i've never picked up a 7-10. i've picked up the 6-7 a couple times, but as a righty i think the most difficult i ever picked up was a 4-10

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »
what's the most impressive spare you guys have ever picked up? i've never picked up a 7-10. i've picked up the 6-7 a couple times, but as a righty i think the most difficult i ever picked up was a 4-10
I've picked up the ten pin a few times.

No I honestly don't recall.  I imagine i've picked up the 6-7-10 before just because I've bowled thousands of games in my life, but I really can't recall anything.  Certainly not a 7-10.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2020, 09:18:36 AM »

183, 183, 226 -- 592.

Really funky release my first two games brought a low strike rate, and missed a couple easy spares.  Started out the third game with 6 of 7 so I eventually got it figured out.  Had the oppo for the triplicate though!

Want to maintain a 200+ average this season.  Starting at 197 isn't horrible.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2020, 09:25:43 AM »
blows my mind that bowling alleys are even open!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2020, 10:15:06 AM »
blows my mind that bowling alleys are even open!
we have to mask.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 02, 2020, 10:38:14 AM »

183, 183, 226 -- 592.

Really funky release my first two games brought a low strike rate, and missed a couple easy spares.  Started out the third game with 6 of 7 so I eventually got it figured out.  Had the oppo for the triplicate though!

Want to maintain a 200+ average this season.  Starting at 197 isn't horrible.

not gunna lie i think i would have tried to intentionally get that last game 183 but only b/c its the first week and you're just setting averages. I assume this is a handicap league or is it scratch?