Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 232778 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #2150 on: February 18, 2022, 09:44:15 AM »
Currently reading "we promised you a great main event". Its ok if you were in to rasslin' as a kid or during the Monday Night Wars in the 90's. Some of these dudes were batshit and Vince did his best to keep a lot of it under wraps. He was also a lunatic. Its a decent read, but slow in parts. I loved wrestling as a young kid so there is def some nostalgia. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: March 17, 2022, 03:47:42 PM »
Hell on a half Acre

About the bloody benders

Must read if you’ve ever been interested

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2022/03/bloody-benders-true-story-kate-bender-crimes-susan-jonusas.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: March 24, 2022, 08:29:46 AM »
Just finished re-reading Call for the Dead by John LeCarre. Very good, short spy novel.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2153 on: March 24, 2022, 09:18:03 AM »
The 7 1/2 Murders of Evelyn Hardcastle was a fun read. Def a page turner.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: March 24, 2022, 05:11:52 PM »
Just started this last night

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: March 24, 2022, 07:42:53 PM »
O boy bet that's interesting.

Related side note, I am absolutely fascinated with the Soviet Union history recently, though admittedly post Stalin. Living under the moustache had to just be brutal, but after that just like, how the USSR worked internally is just fascinating. It's so much richer (and weirder) than just thinking of it as the "evil empire." Not an endorsement of it, but from living arrangements, to education, work, shopping (and black markets) is just interesting af.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: March 25, 2022, 11:11:56 AM »
O boy bet that's interesting.

Related side note, I am absolutely fascinated with the Soviet Union history recently, though admittedly post Stalin. Living under the moustache had to just be brutal, but after that just like, how the USSR worked internally is just fascinating. It's so much richer (and weirder) than just thinking of it as the "evil empire." Not an endorsement of it, but from living arrangements, to education, work, shopping (and black markets) is just interesting af.
I agree, it's fascinating.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: March 29, 2022, 04:38:23 PM »
If you ever want to feel really great about humanity and the depravity we can commit read Bloodlands by Snyder
Currently listening to the audiobook. Provides helpful context for current events.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: March 29, 2022, 10:32:10 PM »
If you ever want to feel really great about humanity and the depravity we can commit read Bloodlands by Snyder
Currently listening to the audiobook. Provides helpful context for current events.
Yeah, it's mumped up. Also Dan Carlin has a great 4 series podcast about the Eastern Front in WW2 and they are $1 each.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: March 30, 2022, 11:43:38 AM »
Yeah, it's mumped up. Also Dan Carlin has a great 4 series podcast about the Eastern Front in WW2 and they are $1 each.

That's a good one.  The ostfront.  Dan Carlin's Mongolian Khan's series was amazing as well.  Very long, but perfect for a long road trip.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2160 on: April 18, 2022, 04:14:22 PM »
Burning through Dave Grohl's, The Story Teller. It's pretty great. I'm always fascinated with people that find their thing at an early age and make it happen. He's pretty great at putting his memories into words. Good book so far.

Just finished this last night, very enjoyable.  I thought there would be more stuff about Nirvana.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: April 18, 2022, 04:16:24 PM »
Ghosts of the Ostfront was my second favorite Dan Carlin series (after the WW1 series).

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: April 18, 2022, 04:28:27 PM »
Ghosts of the Ostfront was my second favorite Dan Carlin series (after the WW1 series).

His WWI series was so grueling and brutally long that I felt like I was in the trenches facing constant shelling.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: April 19, 2022, 12:13:10 PM »
Mongols
Ostfront
WWI

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2164 on: April 19, 2022, 12:53:21 PM »
I am tearing through the Masters of Rome series.  Very enjoyable reading so far.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: May 04, 2022, 09:15:32 AM »
Just finishing up the audiobook of Operation Mincemeat. Would recommend if you are interested in WW2 history. Tells the story of how British spies planted a body with faked documents on a beach in Spain to mislead the Axis about plans for invading Italy. Craziest part of the book suggestion that one of the German intelligence chiefs who looked over the planted documents was secretly anti-Hitler (and later executed for being antiNazi) may have spotted the operation as a fake but passed the information on to Hitler / German high command to undermine the Axis war efforts.

https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Mincemeat-Bizarre-Fooled-Assured/dp/0307453286

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: May 16, 2022, 01:18:49 PM »
Guys, need a book recommendation ASAP. On vacation in 5 days so I want a book for the trip. Has to be non fiction. Pretty much any topic as long as its a good story or about someone interesting. I know that's pretty broad, but that's all i got. I loved Shoe Dog, American Kingpin, books about music, baseball, stock market, etc. Anything that is non fiction and interesting. My only other requirement is that it isn't 800 pages. If it isn't fantastic, i'll tap out. Plus its a beach vacay and I don't want to drag around an encyclopedia. If anyone has anything, shoot it my way. Thanks

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: May 16, 2022, 01:48:29 PM »
Empire of the Summer Moon

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: May 16, 2022, 01:52:09 PM »
Or if you've already read that one, The River of Doubt is also really interesting.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: May 16, 2022, 03:09:47 PM »
Guys, need a book recommendation ASAP. On vacation in 5 days so I want a book for the trip. Has to be non fiction. Pretty much any topic as long as its a good story or about someone interesting. I know that's pretty broad, but that's all i got. I loved Shoe Dog, American Kingpin, books about music, baseball, stock market, etc. Anything that is non fiction and interesting. My only other requirement is that it isn't 800 pages. If it isn't fantastic, i'll tap out. Plus its a beach vacay and I don't want to drag around an encyclopedia. If anyone has anything, shoot it my way. Thanks
Killers of the Flower Moon if you haven't read it yet

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: May 16, 2022, 03:12:58 PM »
The Only Rule is it Has to Work - baseball book

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: May 17, 2022, 08:41:20 AM »
The Only Rule is it Has to Work - baseball book

Winner, thank you sir

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: May 23, 2022, 10:40:20 AM »
Hard to Handle by Steve Gorman

Spoiler alert:  Chris Robinson is a lunatic who almost singlehandedly torpedoed The Black Crowes successes and prevented them from being bigger than they should have been.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: May 23, 2022, 11:17:00 AM »
Just finished A Perfect Spy by John LaCarre. I normally like his novels but I hated this one. Would not recommend.

Currently listening to The Reckoning by John Grisham. The audiobook narrator is great but unlike most Grisham novels, I have yet to encounter any likeable characters.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: May 23, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »
Just finished A Perfect Spy by John LaCarre. I normally like his novels but I hated this one. Would not recommend.

i am reading A Perfect Spy and it's unlike any other Le Carre. i mean there is still spy stuff, but so far a good bit of it reads like Great Expectations

yeah he kind of meandered around too much with his coming of age retrospective junk but whatever. i still liked it