Author Topic: book recommendations  (Read 233721 times)

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: book recommendations
« Reply #2175 on: May 23, 2022, 12:07:22 PM »
Just finished A Perfect Spy by John LaCarre. I normally like his novels but I hated this one. Would not recommend.

i am reading A Perfect Spy and it's unlike any other Le Carre. i mean there is still spy stuff, but so far a good bit of it reads like Great Expectations

yeah he kind of meandered around too much with his coming of age retrospective junk but whatever. i still liked it
I was pretty pissed that he spent 600 pages elaborately drawing a portrait of every nook, cranny and layer of Pym's life only to have him blow his brains out at the end.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 23, 2022, 01:28:47 PM »
Anyone read Norm MacDonald's quasi-autobiography "Based on a True Story"? I'm a huge Norm head, so I was thinking of listening to the audio book, which is narrated by him.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: June 14, 2022, 09:02:25 AM »
About 100 pages into The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. Very good so far.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: June 20, 2022, 07:51:10 PM »
About 100 pages into The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles. Very good so far.
Just finished Lincoln Highway. It was fantastic. One of the most interesting novels I've read in the past several years. Highly recommend.

Offline porky morgan

• Not the real Porky Morgan
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: June 20, 2022, 09:32:34 PM »
Barbarian Days, a surfing life. William Finnegan New York Magazine writer autobiography of growing up surfing around the globe interlaced with his international journalist writing career. Really good man.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: July 01, 2022, 10:04:33 AM »
I'm reading Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien right now. Just a fantastic novel about the Vietnam War. Probably by third favorite book that I've read about Vietnam after The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien and The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh. I also enjoyed Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy by Max Hastings and The Quiet American by Graham Greene. Do other gE'rs have Vietnam-related books to recommend?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #2181 on: July 26, 2022, 08:55:04 AM »
@Kat Kid I think you'd dig The Dawn of Everything (you might have already even read it). 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: July 26, 2022, 09:12:14 AM »
@Kat Kid I think you'd dig The Dawn of Everything (you might have already even read it).
I have been terrible about buying huge books and not reading them but that sounds great.  Ok I will definitely finish a book today.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: July 26, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »
Just finished “days without end” about 2 Irish immigrants that fled the potato famine joined the army and lived through terrible terrible fighting with native Americans, civil war, post civil war. Really good and fast read, there’s a quirky twist to the characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: July 26, 2022, 10:44:26 AM »
Billy summers by Stephen king.

Not a horror story. Hit man on the last job story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: July 26, 2022, 01:24:12 PM »
Barbarian Days, a surfing life. William Finnegan New York Magazine writer autobiography of growing up surfing around the globe interlaced with his international journalist writing career. Really good man.

added to list. Thanks Porky

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: July 26, 2022, 03:17:08 PM »
I'm reading Going After Cacciato by Tim O'Brien right now. Just a fantastic novel about the Vietnam War. Probably by third favorite book that I've read about Vietnam after The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien and The Sorrow of War by Bao Ninh. I also enjoyed Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy by Max Hastings and The Quiet American by Graham Greene. Do other gE'rs have Vietnam-related books to recommend?
The things they carried is a great book. I just finished "With the old breed" by Eugene Sledge (they made the Pacific HBO miniseries around the book)and just devoured it in a couple of days...was up until 2am one night reading it

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: July 26, 2022, 03:22:34 PM »
The things they carried is a great book. I just finished "With the old breed" by Eugene Sledge (they made the Pacific HBO miniseries around the book)and just devoured it in a couple of days...was up until 2am one night reading it
With The Old Breed was very good. There are some old interviews with Eugene Sledge floating around on YouTube or Amazon Prime that are very good.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: July 27, 2022, 08:05:46 AM »
Just finished Sparring Partners by John Grisham. Actually a collection of three short novels. The first and third ones were not great but the middle one about a young man's last hours on death row was quite poignant and I would recommend.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: July 28, 2022, 09:32:36 PM »
3rd book I've read from Peter Heller (dog stars and the river) and I absolutely crushed it in 5 straight hours.

Tldr - the main character from the river gets a part time job guiding rich fishermen at a private resort in CO but some shady stuff is going on.

I love how all his books are outdoorsy with good plot/thriller turns.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: August 12, 2022, 09:23:11 PM »
I have been terrible about buying huge books and not reading them but that sounds great.  Ok I will definitely finish a book today.
I just started this and it is very interesting and funny

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: August 13, 2022, 12:15:22 AM »
I'm very mixed on The Dawn of Everything. I liked the deconstructing stuff a lot. They lost me on what they were trying to do beyond that.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2192 on: August 13, 2022, 09:20:34 AM »
3rd book I've read from Peter Heller (dog stars and the river) and I absolutely crushed it in 5 straight hours.

Tldr - the main character from the river gets a part time job guiding rich fishermen at a private resort in CO but some shady stuff is going on.

I love how all his books are outdoorsy with good plot/thriller turns.
this looks v. interesting

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: August 20, 2022, 01:58:38 PM »
Almost finished with The Warmth of Other Suns by Isabel Wilkerson. History of the migration of Black people out of the American south to cities in the north and west between 1915 - 1970. She intertwines the stories of three different migrants to illustrate the larger history of the great migration. It is a gripping work of narrative history. Highly recommended.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: September 19, 2022, 03:47:50 PM »
Just finished The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (audiobook read by Jesse L Martin). Would recommend.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: September 19, 2022, 03:55:01 PM »
The Machiavellians by James Burnham

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: September 19, 2022, 04:34:22 PM »
Just finished The Fire Next Time by James Baldwin (audiobook read by Jesse L Martin). Would recommend.
Recently finished Another Country by Baldwin and he's now my favorite author.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2197 on: September 19, 2022, 07:20:19 PM »
Recently finished Another Country by Baldwin and he's now my favorite author.
I knew nothing about Baldwin until about 3 years ago which probably proves the truth in much of his writings.  He was a prophetic genius.

Have you seen Raoul Peck’s documentary about Baldwin “I Am Not Your Negro”? A must see for anyone with an interest in Baldwin (which should probably be any American). 

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: September 19, 2022, 09:05:53 PM »
I haven't, I will check that out.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 28, 2022, 09:13:30 PM »
Recently read The Backstreets by Perhat Tursun. One of the first Uighur novels to be translated into English. Would recommend.

https://cup.columbia.edu/book/the-backstreets/9780231202916

Just finished re-reading The Complete Maus graphic novel. It is a must read.