Author Topic: How big a deal is a bad year?  (Read 18641 times)

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How big a deal is a bad year?
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2015, 03:05:25 PM »
i get the impression that the fan base expects or demands the following:

2nd, 4th, 3rd, 5th, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 4th, 3rd.

you mean like Frank Martin's 3rd, 4th, 2nd, 3rd, 5th finishes in his 5 seasons?
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2015, 03:11:13 PM »
DJamer would have had more impact on the defensive end than offense and he would have helped this team.

Definitely.  Do you think he would have played with Gip and would have helped Gip on offense?

Yes. I don't think oscar is that dumb.

How does DJamer help Gip on offense exactly?  I don't see it.  I'm that dumb.  It seems obvious to me he wouldn't. 

Can't shoot, doesn't have post-moves.  Must be in the paint.  Him rebounding Gip's misses is helping Gip on offense?  Is that it?

i literally can't think of a single time that a returning starter made another player better so nevermind, i just don't see it either let's /thread this /thread.

DJamer started at the end of last season?  I do not recall that.  If he did, then I agree that Gip would be much improved this year due to his having started before and now playing with Gip.  You don't know that, you don't know hoops.  #hoopsmaxims
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »
I call it the starter bump. 
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2015, 03:14:32 PM »

again, i'm fully aware of what's been done. but you're comparing two completely different leagues.

the big 12 of the present and the future is not the big 12 of the past.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2015, 03:15:41 PM »

again, i'm fully aware of what's been done. but now, you're comparing two completely different leagues.

Yeah, it used to be harder to finish in the top 5 than it is now.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2015, 03:18:01 PM »

again, i'm fully aware of what's been done. but you're comparing two completely different leagues.

i understand the the leagues are different. im pointing out that ksu hasnt finished in the bottom half of the big 12 in 7 years, there is a reason the fans expect to finish in the top half. we should be able to adapt with a changing league. its not crazy to think our expectations have been raised, and we shouldnt have to lower them because better teams joined the league.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2015, 03:24:07 PM »
those expectations were more realistic in the old big 12.

you keep saying this, but there's little evidence to support it.  going by conference kenpoms, this year is historically strong, but about on the same level as 2008 and 2010.  the last couple of years were not among the strongest of the last decade.  the last three years closely fit what was typical for the big 12 over the seven years previous to the membership change.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2015, 03:24:48 PM »

frank's 2009-10 team, the one that finished tied for 2nd in the league with an 11-5 record, consisted of seven wins against the following:

Nebraska (90th best team)
Nebraska (90th)
Colorado (88th)
Colorado (88th)
Iowa St (74th)
Texas Tech (67th)
Oklahoma (111th)

this year, k-state has played exactly one team, texas tech (#168), rated as poorly as the teams listed above. frank's tenure largely featured wins against awful teams. you won't see much awful in the Big 12 of the present and the future, and you can't hide behind split scheduling anymore, either.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2015, 03:25:15 PM »

I applaud your efforts to play devil's advocate right now but eff you are saying asinine crap attempting to do so. I have no idea how in the hell you think playing in a 10 team true round robin is harder for us to have respectable finishes than it was playing in a 12 team conference when we not only share the division but the state with the dominant team. There is no data that shows the south division was more difficult when we played in a 12 team conference.

Also that 30whatever best job is also total crap. You didn't need to correct the number because there's little to no difference between 17, 35, 48 on this stupid ass list. The difference is whatever bias the lister wants to emphasise to serve their pre-existing bias.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »
frank's 2009-10 team, the one that finished tied for 2nd in the league with an 11-5 record, consisted of seven wins against the following:

Nebraska (90th)
Colorado (88th)
Colorado (88th)
Iowa St (74th)
Texas Tech (67th)
Oklahoma (111th)

this year, k-state has played exactly one team, texas tech (#168), rated as poorly as the teams listed above. frank's tenure largely featured wins against awful teams. you won't see much awful in the Big 12 of the present and the future, and you can't hide behind split scheduling anymore, either.

are you deliberately trying to mislead people?  the 2010 team's strength of schedule was 0.7652, the current team's sos is 0.7133 (so far, it'll go up with the remaining games).  that team went 29-8 against a more difficult schedule.  more difficult.  not easier.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2015, 03:34:24 PM »
I can't believe some K-State basketball fans are claiming that K-State basketball fans are spoiled or expect too much.

I've watched K-State play on the second weekend of the tourney exactly ONE time since I was old enough to know what basketball is. ONE TIME. I don't expect that every year, or even expect down years not too happen. I was fine with 2008-09 based on the trajectory of the program. But right now as a fan I have no real hope other than stupid blind devotion to let me think I'll watch us play in a sweet 16, win a Dr. Pepper tourney, get a top 4 seed etc. I don't need or expect those things annually, all I want is hope that if things break right I can watch us cut down nets and play in a final four. I have no reason to hope that with the way the program is going. Honestly I could make a case for ANY other Big XII team (except Tech/TCU) to have hope for the future of their program to have a chance, just a chance, to be a final four team if things break right in the next few years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2015, 03:34:57 PM »

Nebraska (90th)
Colorado (88th)
Colorado (88th)
Iowa St (74th)
Texas Tech (67th)
Oklahoma (111th)

Everyone else in the conference had the opportunity to play against those teams, too.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2015, 03:36:22 PM »
I applaud your efforts to play devil's advocate right now but eff you are saying asinine crap attempting to do so. I have no idea how in the hell you think playing in a 10 team true round robin is harder for us to have respectable finishes than it was playing in a 12 team conference when we not only share the division but the state with the dominant team.

if any non-ku or iowa state big 12 team strings together four straight top-4 finishes from 2016 to 2019, i'll pick up the tab for fatty fest 2019.

if k-state does it, i'll lay down in the middle of aggieville and let you run me over with a bus until i'm dead.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2015, 03:39:42 PM »
I applaud your efforts to play devil's advocate right now but eff you are saying asinine crap attempting to do so. I have no idea how in the hell you think playing in a 10 team true round robin is harder for us to have respectable finishes than it was playing in a 12 team conference when we not only share the division but the state with the dominant team.

if any non-ku or iowa state big 12 team strings together four straight top-4 finishes from 2016 to 2019, i'll pick up the tab for fatty fest 2019.

if k-state does it, i'll lay down in the middle of aggieville and let you run me over with a bus until i'm dead.

oh man oh man oh man I hope OU or someone finishes top 4 4 straight times before the '19FF

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2015, 03:40:23 PM »

i'll take this deal.  but i'd like to use years 2-5 following weber's firing or retirement.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
If you lose a lot, then the teams you played against will appear stronger because you have added to their strength by being shitty. 

If you win a lot, then the teams you played against will appear weaker because you have subtracted from their strength by not being shitty.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2015, 03:42:07 PM »

:nono: you can't exclude ISU

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #117 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:25 PM »

i'll take this deal.  but i'd like to use years 2-5 following weber's firing or retirement.

you've got yourself a deal, but the bet is void if oscar pearl, kelvin sampson or anyone widely considered to be equal or greater than fred hoiberg takes the job.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 23, 2015, 03:43:45 PM »
just what fattyfest needs, unlimited free booze instead of $1.50 bud daris'.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 23, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »
J Rake really has a lot of contingencies going here.....

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
:nono: you can't exclude ISU

if hoiberg coached k-state, i'd buy into the possibility of them finishing top 4 consistently every year.

the guy is just that good!  :thumbs:

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
J Rake really has a lot of contingencies going here.....

after all the baseless, senseless arguments i've made over the last three days, i could use the added insurance to help support my probably wrong, definitely terrible opinions.  :frown:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2015, 03:48:18 PM »
you've got yourself a deal, but the bet is void if oscar pearl, kelvin sampson or anyone widely considered to be equal or greater than fred hoiberg takes the job.

nope.  deals a deal.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2015, 03:48:47 PM »
hey guys, i may get to kill jrake!   :Woot:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2015, 03:50:11 PM »
hey guys, i may get to kill jrake!   :Woot:

Need a Scott Drew version of this. :billdance: