Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4069797 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23525 on: December 07, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
I think this thread is great.

Quantity or quality?

Just in a general sort of way. 

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23526 on: December 07, 2012, 12:06:12 PM »
Losing GT and BC, for example, to the big 10 might not damage the ACC enough to pry FSU loose.   The SEC following suit and plucking two more away just might.  I root for this.

If the SEC plucked out UNC and Duke (not likely, but that's a rumor) along with GaTech and BC to BigTen, would that make FSU happier in the ACC?  It seems they all hate the Carolina B-Ball schools.  That leaves 10 teams.  Would ABC/ESPN keep the same total money going to them? (like they did with the Big12)  That would close the money gap (same size pie, bigger pieces).  I mean, a 10-team FB conference of FSU, Miami, Clemson, VaTech, NC State, Pitt, Louisville, UVA , Syracuse, and Wake Forest with round-robin scheduling is probably better than the schedule they would play in an inflated 14-team conference with losers like Maryland, UNC, and Duke?   :dunno:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23527 on: December 07, 2012, 12:49:26 PM »
Losing GT and BC, for example, to the big 10 might not damage the ACC enough to pry FSU loose.   The SEC following suit and plucking two more away just might.  I root for this.

If the SEC plucked out UNC and Duke (not likely, but that's a rumor) along with GaTech and BC to BigTen, would that make FSU happier in the ACC?  It seems they all hate the Carolina B-Ball schools.  That leaves 10 teams.  Would ABC/ESPN keep the same total money going to them? (like they did with the Big12)  That would close the money gap (same size pie, bigger pieces).  I mean, a 10-team FB conference of FSU, Miami, Clemson, VaTech, NC State, Pitt, Louisville, UVA , Syracuse, and Wake Forest with round-robin scheduling is probably better than the schedule they would play in an inflated 14-team conference with losers like Maryland, UNC, and Duke?   :dunno:

This is a pretty good point. IMHO would move the ACC up into #4 possibly #3 football conference area. Provided Pitt/VT/UM all make strides forward in turning things around from down years.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23528 on: December 07, 2012, 01:05:42 PM »

This is a pretty good point. IMHO would move the ACC up into #4 possibly #3 football conference area. Provided Pitt/VT/UM all make strides forward in turning things around from down years.
Wow, could the Big 12 of shown the football schools of the ACC the blueprint?  Had not thought of that.  This would fix one of the FSU's biggest gripes with the ACC (crappy home schedules).

ESPN would most likely want them to add UCONN and some body else to at least get back to 12 if just for the champ game and hoops inventory or they could void the contract. 

Hell, maybe the football schools want out to that contract that gives them no Tier 3, they could move to NBC with their buddy ND and really follow the Big 12 model.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23529 on: December 07, 2012, 01:54:09 PM »
i've decided to start reading this thread from the beginning.

wish me luck, see you guys next year.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23530 on: December 07, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »

Enjoy...it's quite the roller coaster.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23531 on: December 07, 2012, 02:06:21 PM »
How many pages was War and Peace?

Is gE in tight with any publishing companies  :dunno:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23532 on: December 07, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »

god i'd love to know how long this would take. can you please keep track? thanks.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23533 on: December 07, 2012, 02:20:10 PM »
got bored after page 2, sorry. 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23534 on: December 07, 2012, 03:55:05 PM »
Speaking Friday to the Wisconsin athletic board, Alvarez said Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany wanted to add teams in the Northeast to ensure Penn State would remain in the conference.

"Jim felt that someday, if we didn't have anyone else in that corridor, someday it wouldn't make sense maybe for Penn State to be in our league," Alvarez told the board, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "That they would go into a league somewhere on the East Coast. By doing that, it keeps us in the Northeast corridor."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8724603/barry-alvarez-says-big-ten-expanded-part-keep-penn-state-nittany-lions

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #23535 on: December 07, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »
I don't think Duke and UNC have the stomach for the SEC.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23536 on: December 07, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
Speaking Friday to the Wisconsin athletic board, Alvarez said Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany wanted to add teams in the Northeast to ensure Penn State would remain in the conference.

"Jim felt that someday, if we didn't have anyone else in that corridor, someday it wouldn't make sense maybe for Penn State to be in our league," Alvarez told the board, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "That they would go into a league somewhere on the East Coast. By doing that, it keeps us in the Northeast corridor."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8724603/barry-alvarez-says-big-ten-expanded-part-keep-penn-state-nittany-lions

Does anybody buy this?  I sure don't.  So they added Penn State when colleges were still absolutely regional and were completely fine with that for 20 years.  Now that conferences are not nearly as regional as they were, and there is no conference in the Northeast the Big 10 feels they have to lock Penn State in?  GMAFB.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23537 on: December 07, 2012, 04:18:09 PM »

Does anybody buy this?  I sure don't.  So they added Penn State when colleges were still absolutely regional and were completely fine with that for 20 years.  Now that conferences are not nearly as regional as they were, and there is no conference in the Northeast the Big 10 feels they have to lock Penn State in?  GMAFB.

Not buying and they shouldn't be selling. Why would anyone be desperate to keep Penn State in their conference right now anyway? What with the pedophiles and the racist sororities and whatnot. You would think the big 10 would be trying to find a way to kick them out before all of their NCAA violations catch up with them and they start really, really sucking at football too.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23538 on: December 07, 2012, 04:21:46 PM »
who in the hell would take penn state right now?  like for real

also this thread is awesome, pretty sure I've read every page
emaw

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23539 on: December 07, 2012, 04:23:42 PM »
Don't be ridiculous Penn State is a great get, when they are going great they print their own money.  Even in the worst of worst years they're still a national brand.  They have the 3rd largest stadium in the country for gods sake.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23540 on: December 07, 2012, 04:27:24 PM »
Third largest stadium in the country built on looking the other way while one of their coaches bent over little boys in the shower.

If that doesn't make some of their donors and season ticket holders re-think things... :shudder:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #23541 on: December 07, 2012, 04:30:33 PM »
Don't be ridiculous Penn State is a great get, when they are going great they print their own money.  Even in the worst of worst years they're still a national brand.  They have the 3rd largest stadium in the country for gods sake.

they also let a coach molest children.  that's all anyone is going to think about for the next 20 years when they hear the words "penn state."
emaw

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23542 on: December 07, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
The six people who let a child molester molest children are long gone, thats such a bad talking point I'm starting to think you two are trolling.  Any program that has 100,000+ for every home game is a valuable asset.  If there was a draft of all programs Penn State would still easily be a top 20 pick by people who care about business.

Also FWIW I think it is almost a certainty that one year of that bowl ban will get knocked off.  I think it is more likely that they only serve 2 years of the bowl ban than all 4.  There is still pending litigation about whether or not Mark Emmert stomped all over PSUs due process.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23543 on: December 07, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
The six people who let a child molester molest children are long gone, thats such a bad talking point I'm starting to think you two are trolling.  Any program that has 100,000+ for every home game is a valuable asset.  If there was a draft of all programs Penn State would still easily be a top 20 pick by people who care about business.

Also FWIW I think it is almost a certainty that one year of that bowl ban will get knocked off.  I think it is more likely that they only serve 2 years of the bowl ban than all 4.  There is still pending litigation about whether or not Mark Emmert stomped all over PSUs due process.

Well said.  Also, I think a mock draft would be interesting. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #23544 on: December 07, 2012, 04:45:14 PM »
Also, I think a mock draft would be interesting.

oh man, it would be like Risk. do you pick the best countries or groups of countries or countries that block someone else from completing their regional block of countries?

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23545 on: December 07, 2012, 04:47:00 PM »
Disagree with the premise that only six people were involved. There's an ice cream shop near campus that for years had a menu item called "the Sandusky." It had two ice cream balls and a cone in the middle.

Wonder how they got the idea that Sandusky was a weirdo pervert? (I am not suggesting the ice cream shop knew. I am suggesting that people suspected and laughed about it and didn't investigate on a much grander scale than six people.)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23546 on: December 07, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
Disagree with the premise that only six people were involved. There's an ice cream shop near campus that for years had a menu item called "the Sandusky." It had two ice cream balls and a cone in the middle.

Wonder how they got the idea that Sandusky was a weirdo pervert? (I am not suggesting the ice cream shop knew. I am suggesting that people suspected and laughed about it and didn't investigate on a much grander scale than six people.)

Please take your bullshit to the combo fanning board and away from a thread that matters. Thx.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23547 on: December 07, 2012, 05:03:45 PM »

Please take your bullshit to the combo fanning board and away from a thread that matters. Thx.

This just makes me want to post EVEN more.  :emawkid:

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23548 on: December 07, 2012, 05:45:11 PM »
In some ways, I like the thought of a non-pod 16 team conference.

Ship the Clones to the East and we'd have the Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas schools in the same division.  Honestly, it would be pretty much exactly what we have now, but with a game or two across the divisions that seem like fun non-con games.

I mean, what we have now plus, say Clemson and Virginia Tech.  Or Florida State and WVU.  Or Louisville and NC State.

See, if the Big 12 split into two 8 team divisions, we wouldn't need cross divisional rivalries because no one really cares about schools in the other division.  You could just do a rotation where you play the seven other schools in your division and then just do a rotation of the other eight teams to keep it "fair".  I mean, sure, Iowa State may not like it, but who cares?

I had kind of mocked it up on a spreadsheet where you could have a really cool mix of non-con and cross-divisional games in September/Early October.  Then you'd just play the meat of your schedule in October/November against your traditional rivals...when the games really matter.

I think there's a lot of fun stuff you can do, and our conference, since we'd essentially be merging a couple of different conference anyway, could have greater flexibility to do really fun stuff.

This makes me wish we had added Louisville and West Virginia last year instead of TCU and WVU.  Then we'd have 8 in the west (UT, TT, BU, OU, OSU, KSU, KU, ISU) and 8 in the east (UL, WVU, FSU, Clem, NCSt, VT, Miami, Pitt).  No need to ship one of our few remaining long-time opponents to the netherlands.  We'd still have a strong presence in the state of Texas.  We could separate into pods of 4 or remain in divisions of 8.  It all would have worked perfectly.

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23549 on: December 07, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
Serious question: Why do we like Louisville so much?

What do they add to the Big 12 at 14 teams? At 16 teams? Why them instead of Miami?