Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4169356 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23575 on: December 09, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »
The name Miami is at least a decent TV draw.  See: us/ND getting credit (due to people watching) for beating the crap out of them even though they weren't good.  Still though, their empty-ass stadium is not an appealing place to play games and they really need to get back to 8 win territory anyways

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23576 on: December 09, 2012, 01:49:55 PM »
If you're looking to increase the the academic standing of your conference, you invite Miami.  It's a Top 50 school.

In fact, a lot of the schools in the ACC we're rumored to be looking at raise the academic standing of the conference.  Miami and Georgia Tech are Top 50 schools.  Virginia Tech and Clemson are Top 75.  NC State and FSU are Top 100.

Before people start talking about how academics don't matter; I don't care.  To some people in the decision making process, it does.

I'm sure a number of Big 12 presidents would greatly prefer Miami over a number of schools because of their academic reputation.

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23577 on: December 09, 2012, 01:57:22 PM »
Potentially new scenario for discussion purposes:

The ACC survives!!  That conference is in the same place right now that the Big 12 was in July 2010.  Nebraska and Colorado had left, there were rumors about others looking around.  Ultimately, everyone made a statement of solidarity and we all hung together for another year.

However unlike the Big 12, the ACC doesn't have to worry about an uber-insecure fanbase causing problems.  FSU fans are restless and a little unhappy with the ACC, but they don't have an inferiority complex that even comes close to what A&M had.  And while UVA or GT may be preparing their backup plans in the big 10, neither of them are spreading their legs for anyone that so much as glances in their direction (Mizzou).

The ACC actually holds together without any more defections (current 11, plus Pitt, Cuse, Lville).  I think the SEC will then have no choice but to stay at 14.  I think the big 10 will stay at 14.  I think the PAC will stay at 12.  I think most members of the Big 12 would like to expand, but Texas does not and we also can't agree on how to organize the divisions, so we stay at 10.  Besides, with the ACC surviving, we have no one to add anyway.

I think we have 5 major conferences competing for 4 playoff spots for a few years.  Then the playoffs expand to 8 teams and everyone realizes that we don't need only 4 major conferences anymore because there's room for everybody to make the playoffs, and we all live happily ever after.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23578 on: December 09, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »

The ACC survives!!  That conference is in the same place right now that the Big 12 was in July 2010.  Nebraska and Colorado had left, there were rumors about others looking around.  Ultimately, everyone made a statement of solidarity and we all hung together for another year.

However unlike the Big 12, the ACC doesn't have to worry about an uber-insecure fanbase causing problems.  FSU fans are restless and a little unhappy with the ACC, but they don't have an inferiority complex that even comes close to what A&M had.  And while UVA or GT may be preparing their backup plans in the big 10, neither of them are spreading their legs for anyone that so much as glances in their direction (Mizzou).

The ACC actually holds together without any more defections (current 11, plus Pitt, Cuse, Lville).  I think the SEC will then have no choice but to stay at 14.  I think the big 10 will stay at 14.  I think the PAC will stay at 12.  I think most members of the Big 12 would like to expand, but Texas does not and we also can't agree on how to organize the divisions, so we stay at 10.  Besides, with the ACC surviving, we have no one to add anyway.

I think we have 5 major conferences competing for 4 playoff spots for a few years.  Then the playoffs expand to 8 teams and everyone realizes that we don't need only 4 major conferences anymore because there's room for everybody to make the playoffs, and we all live happily ever after.

No denied.  fear will reign.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #23579 on: December 09, 2012, 02:07:34 PM »
If you're looking to increase the the academic standing of your conference, you invite Miami.  It's a Top 50 school.

In fact, a lot of the schools in the ACC we're rumored to be looking at raise the academic standing of the conference.  Miami and Georgia Tech are Top 50 schools.  Virginia Tech and Clemson are Top 75.  NC State and FSU are Top 100.

Before people start talking about how academics don't matter; I don't care.  To some people in the decision making process, it does.

I'm sure a number of Big 12 presidents would greatly prefer Miami over a number of schools because of their academic reputation.

Doubt it. Nobody cares about academics, especially the Big 12.

This isn't the 1980's or '90's anymore. They have no fanbase, are in a market where people don't even know that college sports exist, have a terrible football team, and are far, far away from anyone in the Big 12.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23580 on: December 09, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »

Most likely scenario.

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #23581 on: December 09, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

Most likely scenario.
Yeah but this thread would be on page 14 or something dumb if it weren't for all the twist n turns

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23582 on: December 09, 2012, 03:14:01 PM »

Most likely scenario.
Yeah but this thread would be on page 14 or something dumb if it weren't for all the twist n turns
Yep, it is not stopping.  Both the big 10 and SEC have too much to gain by adding additional members due to their networks.

I believe the big 10 will add two for sure, even if they have to add a couple of NE schools if the NC schools stand pat.  If Rutgers makes financial sense for them then BC and maybe Syracuse or Uconn does as well.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23583 on: December 09, 2012, 04:26:39 PM »
@theDudeofWV: FSU and the B10 have expressed mutual interest. FSU has told Delany they cannot leave (internal politics) unless the ACC losses another.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23584 on: December 09, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
@theDudeofWV: FSU and the B10 have expressed mutual interest. FSU has told Delany they cannot leave (internal politics) unless the ACC losses another.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23585 on: December 09, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23586 on: December 09, 2012, 04:27:22 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23587 on: December 09, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23588 on: December 09, 2012, 04:30:23 PM »
@theDudeofWV: Here's what I know. Confirmed via 3 separate B10 sources. B10 set to go to 16. GT & BC are 15 & 16. If GT accepts which some doubt now.

@theDudeofWV: If GT passes then B10 likely to add BC & another.  Here's where it gets interesting. FSU would use the addition of UCONN to leave the ACC.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23589 on: December 09, 2012, 04:30:26 PM »
@theDudeofWV: Here's what I know. Confirmed via 3 separate B10 sources. B10 set to go to 16. GT & BC are 15 & 16. If GT accepts which some doubt now.

@theDudeofWV: If GT passes then B10 likely to add BC & another.  Here's where it gets interesting. FSU would use the addition of UCONN to leave the ACC.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23590 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:02 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23591 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:50 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23592 on: December 09, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23593 on: December 09, 2012, 04:32:59 PM »
Gettin' pretty weird here, Pete.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #23594 on: December 09, 2012, 04:36:28 PM »
don't we have scripts or something to automatically ban these spam bots?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23595 on: December 09, 2012, 04:37:30 PM »
don't we have scripts or something to automatically ban these spam bots?

lol

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #23596 on: December 09, 2012, 04:39:41 PM »
no need to sd your post count Pete.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23597 on: December 09, 2012, 04:41:38 PM »
take your meds pete, jesus.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23598 on: December 09, 2012, 04:43:40 PM »
Pete, what does the Dude of WV think of all this? TIA

Offline Alpinist

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23599 on: December 09, 2012, 05:02:11 PM »
Wtf is wrong with you?