Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4070115 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23175 on: November 29, 2012, 11:15:37 PM »
i think it sucks we don't play nebraska anymore and i miss them. 

:dunno:

Yeah, that's you and the rest of us aren't dumbasses for not feeling like you.  I was on the field after those games in 98 and 2000 and I want to win on Saturday just as much as I did then.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23176 on: November 29, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
i got trolled big time by pete in this thread

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23177 on: November 29, 2012, 11:23:38 PM »

Yeah, that's you and the rest of us aren't dumbasses for not feeling like you.  I was on the field after those games in 98 and 2000 and I want to win on Saturday just as much as I did then.
my point is is that it's a huge exaggeration to say that fans "don't care" when their rival leaves the conference.  we do care, to some degree, right?  why wouldn't we care?  k-state will go on, of course, but if k-state loses KU, i think k-state loses part of our identity, and vice versa.  when would tons of k-state freshman travel to lawrence and jaw at their high school buddies who decided to go to ku?  what coworkers would we razz around the watercooler on monday?  what billboards would we paint? 

k-state would go on, of course, but if ku left, it would suck for both fanbases.  obviously new rivalries would form, but man, i have never met a single Florida State.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23178 on: November 29, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »
Does the cigars thread belong on the trophy wall?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #23179 on: November 29, 2012, 11:26:42 PM »

i think it's bullshit that fans like us are having to trade an easy trip against a familiar rival for a pain in the ass trip halfway across the country to play some weirdos in morgantown, west virginia.

i miss playing NU also.  i would def miss playing ku.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ZappaCat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23180 on: November 29, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »
Tell me, how many KU home games in football to you envision NOT being on the Big 10 network?????  They rough ridin' suck.

well, all of their home ones, to start. Because the Big 10 won't own the rights to broadcast them.

Can't broadcast them, or have to relinquish revenue from them?

I have NEVER read a thing suggesting that it's more than merely monetary.

This says it's all media rights, which includes more than revenue, I'm guessing. Of course none of these sports reporter jackwagons really know what they're talking about:

The deal includes a "grant of rights" agreement, meaning if a Big 12 school leaves for another league in the next 13 years, that school's media rights, including revenue, would remain with the Big 12 and not its new conference.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8346345/big-12-announces-media-deal-abc-espn-fox
If KU leaves for the big 10 and the Big 12 owns KU's media rights for 13 years, does media rights mean TV? or does it mean TV, Radio, etc. ?
How well would KU recruit if they couldn't broadcast any home games on TV or what if they couldn't broadcast games on radio? What top flight recruit would play for a program if they are never on TV or radio?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23181 on: November 29, 2012, 11:49:54 PM »

my point is is that it's a huge exaggeration to say that fans "don't care" when their rival leaves the conference.  we do care, to some degree, right?  why wouldn't we care?  k-state will go on, of course, but if k-state loses KU, i think k-state loses part of our identity, and vice versa.  when would tons of k-state freshman travel to lawrence and jaw at their high school buddies who decided to go to ku?  what coworkers would we razz around the watercooler on monday?  what billboards would we paint? 

k-state would go on, of course, but if ku left, it would suck for both fanbases.  obviously new rivalries would form, but man, i have never met a single Florida State.

I don't care that Nebraska is gone and wouldn't care if Kansas left.  If I cared about strong rivalries I'd be an Alabama fan.  If someone told me in 10 years our biggest rival would be OSU or ISU I would only care if we were good or the games were good.  You can't possibly care about KU as a rival, it hasn't been a rivalry in any of our lifetimes.  Is having bragging rights over your high school buddies that important?

Offline bunter

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm not a good poster.
    • View Profile
    • Investigate 3/11

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23183 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:14 PM »
I don't care that Nebraska is gone and wouldn't care if Kansas left.  If I cared about strong rivalries I'd be an Alabama fan.  If someone told me in 10 years our biggest rival would be OSU or ISU I would only care if we were good or the games were good.  You can't possibly care about KU as a rival, it hasn't been a rivalry in any of our lifetimes. Is having bragging rights over your high school buddies that important?
Man, I disagree with every sentence in this post.  I'm sorry for the "dumbass" comment earlier, but yeah, we're speaking two different languages here, apparently. 

The opposite of everything in your post is why I love college sports and do not care at all about pro sports.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23184 on: November 29, 2012, 11:56:41 PM »
If I remember correctly, having the medical school on a separate campus hurts AAU status requirements.  Fortunately KU has 3 (Salina, either current or soon to be)!

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23185 on: November 30, 2012, 12:07:11 AM »
Pete.  Take your meds.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23186 on: November 30, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »
I don't care that Nebraska is gone and wouldn't care if Kansas left.  If I cared about strong rivalries I'd be an Alabama fan.  If someone told me in 10 years our biggest rival would be OSU or ISU I would only care if we were good or the games were good.  You can't possibly care about KU as a rival, it hasn't been a rivalry in any of our lifetimes. Is having bragging rights over your high school buddies that important?
Man, I disagree with every sentence in this post.  I'm sorry for the "dumbass" comment earlier, but yeah, we're speaking two different languages here, apparently. 

The opposite of everything in your post is why I love college sports and do not care at all about pro sports.

What you keep missing is that schools can have rivals that aren't a static in state rival, these things change.  If in 1988 I told you that we would have a bigger rivalry against Nebraska than Mizzou 10 years later everyone would laugh.  Of course rivalries are important in college football, although passion is much more important.  That last Mizzou vs KU game in Arrowhead lacked passion from each fan base therefore it sucked.  As long as we care we'll have rivalries whether thats KU or not.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23187 on: November 30, 2012, 12:14:31 AM »
What you keep missing is that schools can have rivals that aren't a static in state rival, these things change.  If in 1988 I told you that we would have a bigger rivalry against Nebraska than Mizzou 10 years later everyone would laugh.  Of course rivalries are important in college football, although passion is much more important.  That last Mizzou vs KU game in Arrowhead lacked passion from each fan base therefore it sucked.  As long as we care we'll have rivalries whether thats KU or not.
i don't disagree with that.  however, i also think the effort to preserve in-state rivalries is something more than trivial.

what probably is trivial though, is this conversation, because like i said earlier, KU probably ain't leaving.

i liked your insight though, MIR.  made me reconsider some of my convictions.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #23188 on: November 30, 2012, 12:24:07 AM »
Jesus Christ, Pete.

Offline AlwaysEMAW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23189 on: November 30, 2012, 12:26:22 AM »

I sure as hell care

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23190 on: November 30, 2012, 12:27:01 AM »
i don't disagree with that.  however, i also think the effort to preserve in-state rivalries is something more than trivial.

what probably is trivial though, is this conversation, because like i said earlier, KU probably ain't leaving.

i liked your insight though, MIR.  made me reconsider some of my convictions.

Yeah good chat, KU definitely staying for a multitude of reasons.  Pete was drunk.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23191 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:21 AM »
No one ever considered Mizzou a rival until our black coach started losing to them.

Offline felix rex

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Knows what Brent did
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23192 on: November 30, 2012, 01:06:20 AM »
Man this was a treat up which to wake.
"How will I recruit to Manhattan? Well, distance. And the proud state of basketball. It start there, and then daily flights to Dallas, because I'm really good at going out. Like top five good. Ask my wife. She wants me to be happy."

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #23193 on: November 30, 2012, 01:13:14 AM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #23194 on: November 30, 2012, 01:25:15 AM »

You are talking to young people that all had the same collective experiences.  Old people hate Mizzou.  My son will only pretend to understand why I hate Nebraska.  If Ku leaves it would be even worse.  We are losing history we are losing memories.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23195 on: November 30, 2012, 06:12:15 AM »
No one ever considered Mizzou a rival until our black coach started losing to them.

Incorrect . . . the K-State people who grew up 700 miles from mu apparently will never get it.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23196 on: November 30, 2012, 06:20:51 AM »
Kstate fans that considered mizzou a rival are, or grew up KU bball fans

KU would be dumb not to go if invited

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #23197 on: November 30, 2012, 07:07:16 AM »
“@TheShoeAtOSU: Several sources say Big Ten has approved #GeorgiaTech to the BIG. They will be number 15 #big 10 #B1Ghaters”
Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23198 on: November 30, 2012, 07:10:01 AM »
“@TheShoeAtOSU: Several sources say Big Ten has approved #GeorgiaTech to the BIG. They will be number 15 #big 10 #B1Ghaters”

ku will be #16

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23199 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:52 AM »
Tell me, how many KU home games in football to you envision NOT being on the Big 10 network?????  They rough ridin' suck.

well, all of their home ones, to start. Because the Big 10 won't own the rights to broadcast them.
Can't broadcast them, or have to relinquish revenue from them?

I have NEVER read a thing suggesting that it's more than merely monetary.

Haven't read the docs themselves -- are they public? -- but I've seen it described as a grant of all the school's media rights "including revenue" to the conference.  That language implies it's money PLUS.  That means the conference's damages couldn't be strictly monetized and the Big 12 should be able to get an injunction against any other conference broadcasting the school's (KU's) games.  Football, basketball, whathaveyou.

That's my dime legal advice at least.

If more money could be made by letting the Big Ten broadcast it why would the Big 12 not allow that assuming they get it?  Sour grapes?  Also, pretty sure a GoR doesn't permit a conference to make shitty financial decisions regarding public universities just because they're butthurt.  They would get sued and destroyed in the media.
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.