Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068710 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #18300 on: April 12, 2012, 09:24:14 PM »
Thoughts:

1.  Why does Clemson want to bring Miami along if Florida St comes with them?
2.  Does this mean if we get Clemson and FSU, AND Notre Dame decides to join as well, that the Big12 will look to go to 16?  What schools would appease ND that would think about leaving whatever conference the are currently in?  I can't imagine that Louisville does.
3.  Good job by KSU to side with texas on Louisville.

1. The natural thought is that if you go to 14 teams, you can create an Eastern division, and it won't be WVU/FSU/Clemson out on an island.  FSU/Clemson/WVU/Louisville/Miami/Whoever/Whoever is much more appealing to them.

2. I highly doubt the Big 12 goes to 16.  However, I think ND can be swayed with FSU, Clemson, and Miami.  That's pretty salty from a national appeal standpoint.

3. It's because we're not Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!).  You don't lead with your backup plan.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18301 on: April 13, 2012, 08:41:58 AM »
Wonder if annual Catholics vs. Convicts holds much appeal for the Irish.  :dunno:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18302 on: April 13, 2012, 09:13:47 AM »
I can honestly say that I would prefer FSU and Miami to FSU and Clemson.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #18303 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »

meh, I feel no difference between the two. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18304 on: April 13, 2012, 09:20:51 AM »

I just like trying to keep 2 teams per state, other than Texas, who can have as many teams as they please, and West Virginia, a shitty state who is fortunate to even have one team.

Offline Unruly

• Oh so Unruly.
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18305 on: April 13, 2012, 09:38:14 AM »

I just like trying to keep 2 teams per state, other than Texas, who can have as many teams as they please, and West Virginia, a shitty state who is fortunate to even have one team.

Don't forget about Iowa!
:dance:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18306 on: April 13, 2012, 09:43:46 AM »

Don't forget about Iowa!

I don't want Iowa or Iowa State. Unfortunately, it seems we can't get rid of them. It's best to just pretend that they are some shitty OOC team that we play in the middle conference play as a break to tune up for the big boys.

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18307 on: April 13, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »
I am so ready for Conference Realignment 2012! It will be a wild ride.
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline EMAW4life-JHL

• Combo-Fan
  • Morgan Freeman's childhood friend/worst poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18308 on: April 13, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Buddy of mine who works in the UNC AD says that Miami FSU and Clemson all make it pretty obvious they want out, and to a football conference. SEC is full, and Miami and FSU aren't splittin up so Big 12 makes the most sense.
Imagine Georgia Tech, Clemson, FSU and Miami all joining :drool: :emawkid: :love:
Go Home Dad you're drunk

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18309 on: April 13, 2012, 09:09:50 PM »
Imagine Georgia Tech Pitt, Clemson, FSU and Miami all joining :drool: :emawkid: :love:
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18310 on: April 13, 2012, 09:33:37 PM »
Imagine Georgia Tech Pitt, Clemson, FSU and Miami all joining :drool: :emawkid: :love:

yes, that would be much better imo

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18311 on: April 13, 2012, 10:32:32 PM »

how the hell would you split that up though?  :ohno:

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18312 on: April 13, 2012, 10:42:25 PM »

into the same eastern division we've been talking about?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18313 on: April 13, 2012, 10:43:33 PM »

East/West.  Those 4, ISU, WVU, KU.  We get the elite West region like a boss. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18314 on: April 14, 2012, 03:05:42 AM »

East/West.  Those 4, ISU, WVU, KU.  We get the elite West region like a boss. 
well are we assuming 12, 14, or 16 teams.  IMO if the Big12 is going for FSU, Miami/Clem, and ND they need to get to 16 first to win the arms race.  than the pods make themselves pretty clear.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #18315 on: April 14, 2012, 07:41:19 AM »
I doubt ND will accept being in a pod with ku, ksu, isu

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18316 on: April 14, 2012, 08:18:52 AM »
To summarize the thoughts upthread, there is one rumor, if accurate, and one fact which combine to set forth significant information today:

1. The rumored $18M ACC contract requires all schools to sign a GOR.
2. The date for notice of departure from the ACC is August 15, 2012 (to join another conference by July 1, 2013).

The ACC schools are about to be leveraged hard with a GOR. Very hard. And basically their drop-dead date is August 15.

However, you can bet the ACC wants that additional money beginning in 2012, and the ACC would undoubtedly like to nail down their membership with a GOR, so pressure -- probably intense pressure -- is going to be applied to the ACC membership long before August 15.

First, we look for MSM confirmation of the new rumored ACC contract, including the GOR as well as the length of extension. Those MSM reports should occur in the very near future, possibly this weekend. The length of extension could make this ACC contract a much bigger stinker than it already is.

Second, we look for public announcements of fealty to the ACC from various ACC schools, beginning on Tobacco Road. If those announcements don't come from FSU, Clemson, and Maryland, which are the ACC schools that bucked the GOR and the $34M buy-out last year, then there will be corresponding statements of concern from those schools, which ought to show up in reports.

The time-frame is four months. The ACC football schools are going to have to make a decision in the next 120 days. And probably much more quickly than that.

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/108844-Clemson-and-FSU-talk-not-going-away/page2

More from the Shag......should be a fun summer!

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18317 on: April 14, 2012, 10:07:52 AM »
As long as the Pac 12 stays quiet, I think the Big 12 can do no worse than stay in the strong position we are already in.  I think the only wild card for the Big 12 is that stupid west coast conference.  OU (and OSU) would be in the Pac 12 right now if they hadn't said 'request denied' last fall.  And Texas made an attempt at the Pac last year as well, and would also be in that conference if they hadn't said no.  (Actually, they said no to the LHN rather than Texas, but it amounts to the same thing.)

If the Pac 12 will just stay on the sidelines during this summer's Conference Armageddon III, the Big 12 will stay intact and may even pick up a couple of worthy additions.  If the Pac 12 gets involved, I think all hell breaks loose.  If they change their stance on the LHN, or if they re-open the lines of communication with the Oklahoma schools, I shudder to think what could happen.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18318 on: April 14, 2012, 10:23:08 AM »
should be a fun summer!

Crap...now I have to re-learn how to make maps in wikipedia.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18319 on: April 14, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
As long as the Pac 12 stays quiet, I think the Big 12 can do no worse than stay in the strong position we are already in.  I think the only wild card for the Big 12 is that stupid west coast conference.  OU (and OSU) would be in the Pac 12 right now if they hadn't said 'request denied' last fall.  And Texas made an attempt at the Pac last year as well, and would also be in that conference if they hadn't said no.  (Actually, they said no to the LHN rather than Texas, but it amounts to the same thing.)

If the Pac 12 will just stay on the sidelines during this summer's Conference Armageddon III, the Big 12 will stay intact and may even pick up a couple of worthy additions.  If the Pac 12 gets involved, I think all hell breaks loose.  If they change their stance on the LHN, or if they re-open the lines of communication with the Oklahoma schools, I shudder to think what could happen.

The Pac 12 is only really appealing to our schools academically. I'm not worried about them because OU is so unappealing to them. We are much stronger without Mizzou publicly trying to bail ship 24/7.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18320 on: April 14, 2012, 04:05:41 PM »

The six year grant of rights keeps us safe for now

Offline CyberToothCat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18321 on: April 14, 2012, 05:17:05 PM »

People keep talking about our grant of rights as though it is ironclad or something.  The Big East supposedly had an ironclad contract that required 27-month notice before departure... and WVU left with about a six month notice.  If Texas decided they want out of the Big 12, they could do it.  They would have to pay for it, but the grant of rights certainly wouldn't stop them. 

And the grant of rights does nothing if we see a mass exodus like a couple of years ago.  If UT takes TT, OU and OSU with them and another school or two can find a home somewhere (WVU-ACC?, TCU-SEC?, KU-ACC?), they can simply dissolve the Big 12 and the grant of rights becomes meaningless.  And if Texas is leaving, they're certainly not going to do it alone.

I think there's a pretty good chance the Big 12 will be fine this off season, but I wouldn't put any serious money on it right now.

If the Big 12 is able to attract a high-profile school or two, then our odds of staying alive skyrocket, IMO.  Louisville doesn't count as high-profile in my book, but FSU and/or Miami would.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18322 on: April 14, 2012, 05:27:51 PM »
well no crap.  there is no physical barrier for anyone leaving.  the grant of rights makes it much more difficult than a straight buyout though. 

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #18323 on: April 14, 2012, 11:06:16 PM »

People keep talking about our grant of rights as though it is ironclad or something.  The Big East supposedly had an ironclad contract that required 27-month notice before departure... and WVU left with about a six month notice.  If Texas decided they want out of the Big 12, they could do it.  They would have to pay for it, but the grant of rights certainly wouldn't stop them. 

And the grant of rights does nothing if we see a mass exodus like a couple of years ago.  If UT takes TT, OU and OSU with them and another school or two can find a home somewhere (WVU-ACC?, TCU-SEC?, KU-ACC?), they can simply dissolve the Big 12 and the grant of rights becomes meaningless.  And if Texas is leaving, they're certainly not going to do it alone.

I think there's a pretty good chance the Big 12 will be fine this off season, but I wouldn't put any serious money on it right now.

If the Big 12 is able to attract a high-profile school or two, then our odds of staying alive skyrocket, IMO.  Louisville doesn't count as high-profile in my book, but FSU and/or Miami would.

Giving up 6 years of GOR means you'd give up something greater than $60 million dollars with our new agreements.

Yeah, good luck with that.

Also, the Big 12 is fine.  The Big Ten/Pac-12 alliance means that they are done for the foreseeable future.  No Texas, no go in the Pac-12, and Texas has said if they go anywhere at this point, it will be East (ACC), and that looks like it's pretty much not happening now.

We're safe.  Go grab four more with the three ACC defectors, and either ND or Louisville, and we're golden.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18324 on: April 15, 2012, 12:39:20 AM »
IMO the Big12 must win the race to a strong, although maybe middling, 16 team conference.  That is the direction we are going.

Also I bet ND would be willing to be in a ksu/ku/isu pod if there was some sort of permanent rival system like the SEC has where they got Texas, OU, FSU or something.