Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068436 times)

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #17025 on: October 26, 2011, 02:09:23 PM »
Someone please explain why the B12 would even have to think about add WV vs Lou?  The amazing clusterfrack continues.
The perception that one is a "city" school.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17026 on: October 26, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
Someone please explain why the B12 would even have to think about add WV vs Lou?  The amazing clusterfrack continues.

Several schools in our conf want 12 schools.  So if they block the add of WVU, and get Louisville, the thoguht would be that the other schools would give in from their want to stay at 10 in order to get WVU.  Then we go get a third school and stop at 12.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #17027 on: October 26, 2011, 02:28:13 PM »
eff IT! ADD'EM ALL!

+100 - build it and the $ will follow. It's time to stop fighting off destruction and go on the offensive.  I thought Neinas would bring this, but I think the remaining Big XII schools are slowing him down.
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Online Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17028 on: October 26, 2011, 02:39:30 PM »
Florida Tech is in Melbourne. 

Perfect place to dock the MV goEMAW

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #17029 on: October 26, 2011, 08:27:14 PM »
wvuorwvu
Beanie
77 posts this site
Posted: Today 3:19 PM

I hate the ACC but the way the Big 12 done us I would take any conferance

I can't tell you how much I want West Virginia to join the Big XII.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17030 on: October 26, 2011, 10:37:26 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7154023/oklahoma-sooners-confused-talks-big-12-network

I don't know if this has been posted, but why is Boren such a dick?

Offline jmlynch1

• Katpak'r
  • stay together for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17031 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »
Yeah, I would guess that its the fact a commuter school doesn't fit culturally.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #17032 on: October 26, 2011, 10:49:15 PM »
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7154023/oklahoma-sooners-confused-talks-big-12-network

I don't know if this has been posted, but why is Boren such a dick?

I'm not sure most of them realize that the true value of a conference network exists in Tier 2 with live events.

And if OU gets their own network, I'll be floored.  There's no way they'll have the pull to make that happen.  Oklahoma just doesn't have enough TVs in the footprint to get carriers for it.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17033 on: October 26, 2011, 10:49:55 PM »
why is Boren such a dick?

He's working with Mitch McConnell and being disruptive to the Big 12 on Louisville's behalf.  As long as the Big 12 sticks together, let it be as dysfunctional as it wants to be.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17034 on: October 26, 2011, 10:59:02 PM »
why is Boren such a dick?

He's working with Mitch McConnell and being disruptive to the Big 12 on Louisville's behalf.  As long as the Big 12 sticks together, let it be as dysfunctional as it wants to be.

ChuckCarltonDMN Chuck Carlton
Because of the messy, awkward situation, two sources say Big 12 might consider Louisville and WVU together as a compromise.

That's pretty consistent with what some OU guys were saying on Twitter today.  OU is trying to jam Louisville in there so we're forced to go to twelve no matter what.

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17035 on: October 26, 2011, 11:09:09 PM »
WV would be a cool add and all, but the BEast leftovers aren't going to fade into oblivion.  Some other alignment will emerge on the east coast, and West Virginia will likely go back when given the opportunity.  Geographical affinity is important.  For the same reason Mizzou is stupid to go the SEC, West Virginia would be stupid to stay in the B12 when another viable conference emerges back east.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17036 on: October 26, 2011, 11:12:00 PM »
WV would be a cool add and all, but the BEast leftovers aren't going to fade into oblivion.  Some other alignment will emerge on the east coast, and West Virginia will likely go back when given the opportunity.  Geographical affinity is important.  For the same reason Mizzou is stupid to go the SEC, West Virginia would be stupid to stay in the B12 when another viable conference emerges back east.

Um... yeah, its called the ACC.  They don't want WVU.

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17037 on: October 27, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »
If the big east is completely destroyed (loses AQ status), there will be a massive shakeup out there and it will involve the
current ACC. And that's short term. Long term these schools are going to want to get back to the geographical regions in which they belong anyway.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17038 on: October 27, 2011, 01:55:09 AM »
If the big east is completely destroyed (loses AQ status), there will be a massive shakeup out there and it will involve the
current ACC. And that's short term. Long term these schools are going to want to get back to the geographical regions in which they belong anyway.

Why is that brad?  It isn't 1973.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17039 on: October 27, 2011, 07:19:16 AM »

Pitt and Syracuse are in the ACC now, they're not leaving, at least not for a very long time. If we take Louisville and WVU and possibly Cincy, that leaves just Rutgers, UConn, and S. Florida as fb schools in the Big East. The most likely scenario then, IMO is Rutgers and UConn eventually end up in the ACC putting them at 16 (or ND/UConn if ND's hand is forced) and S. Florida possibly ends up with us (16 with S. Florida, C. Florida, BYU, and ND/Rutgers :dunno:). In that scenario where is this viable eastern conference going to come from? None of those teams would be leaving the ACC and I don't see anyone leaving the B10 or SEC so it would have to be formed with teams not currently AQ which isn't going to be strong enough to pull those teams out of the BXII unless it brings along some current BXII teams as well.

I definitely not an expert on the whole conf army thing, but I just don't see a scenario where a new vialble east coast conference appears anytime in the next 20-30 years if the BE is imploded.

Offline doom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17040 on: October 27, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »

Um... yeah, its called the ACC.  They don't want WVU.

Right now, no, but if teams start trying to get to 16, and we keep acting like morons, yes.
“They said something along the lines of ‘it kind of sounds like you’d be interested in it.’ And I said ‘hell yeah I am. Why not?’” -Doug Gottlieb

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17041 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:06 AM »
From a radio interview I heard this morning, I get the impression that Louisville fans are like KU fans, only slightly less racist.

Confirm?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17042 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:55 AM »

Pitt and Syracuse are in the ACC now, they're not leaving, at least not for a very long time. If we take Louisville and WVU and possibly Cincy, that leaves just Rutgers, UConn, and S. Florida as fb schools in the Big East. The most likely scenario then, IMO is Rutgers and UConn eventually end up in the ACC putting them at 16 (or ND/UConn if ND's hand is forced) and S. Florida possibly ends up with us (16 with S. Florida, C. Florida, BYU, and ND/Rutgers :dunno:). In that scenario where is this viable eastern conference going to come from? None of those teams would be leaving the ACC and I don't see anyone leaving the B10 or SEC so it would have to be formed with teams not currently AQ which isn't going to be strong enough to pull those teams out of the BXII unless it brings along some current BXII teams as well.

I definitely not an expert on the whole conf army thing, but I just don't see a scenario where a new vialble east coast conference appears anytime in the next 20-30 years if the BE is imploded.

I honestly don't think USF or UCF are in the conversation at all.  Whether or not they should be is up for debate, but there hasn't been one solid lead anywhere that they were under consideration at all.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17043 on: October 27, 2011, 09:37:48 AM »
From a radio interview I heard this morning, I get the impression that Louisville fans are like KU fans, only slightly less racist.

Confirm?

my wife's aunt is UL crazy.  definitely like most rabid fans of schools - myopic

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17044 on: October 27, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »

I honestly don't think USF or UCF are in the conversation at all.  Whether or not they should be is up for debate, but there hasn't been one solid lead anywhere that they were under consideration at all.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-10-24/big-12-surprise-usf-could-be-wild-card

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17045 on: October 27, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »

I honestly don't think USF or UCF are in the conversation at all.  Whether or not they should be is up for debate, but there hasn't been one solid lead anywhere that they were under consideration at all.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-10-24/big-12-surprise-usf-could-be-wild-card

No, I read that.  But it's from DeCourcy.  I like him for basketball, but he really isn't looped in on this stuff.  He's been making crazy comments on Twitter for the last two weeks.

Offline bradleigh

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17046 on: October 27, 2011, 02:51:39 PM »

Why is that brad?  It isn't 1973.

I think a big part of what makes college sports what it is, is living amongst fans of your opponents.  I can have a conversation with someone about the SEC and all, but a I'd rather talk with another Big 12 fan since we're both fighting the same fight and the SEC race isn't relevant to me.  I mean no one out in West Virgina's neighborhood is going to care about what they've got going on in the Big 12.  I just feel like when some of these TV contracts expire or are nullified or whatever they'll reshuffle the deck out there.

I also feel like that's more likely between the big east and ACC since they had a big realignment relatively recently.
2/8/11 - Never Forget

Offline username

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17047 on: October 27, 2011, 02:59:13 PM »
 :zzz:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17048 on: October 27, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »
Good news coming out of meeting now. As of 6:13 pm WVU is in the Big 12 and Loserville is out. The super-official invite is forthcoming.

@Thecouchburner:
#wvu to #big12 appears to be finalized. finally.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17049 on: October 27, 2011, 05:19:46 PM »
I still want loserville and 12  :frown: