Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067710 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #17000 on: October 26, 2011, 10:14:42 AM »
south and central florida would be better than louisville and cincinatti.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17001 on: October 26, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
Can you imagine having 2 schools in Florida where the SEC only has one?

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17002 on: October 26, 2011, 10:22:01 AM »
Dream scenario: BYU, Notre Dame and South Florida.  Call it the Big Country. 

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17003 on: October 26, 2011, 10:26:26 AM »

cincinattti would be a horrible addition. just horrible.

Cincy isn't necessary.  I think the BigEast would fold if WVU and Louisville leave.  Frankly, I think the league will fold if either one of those schools leave. 

Cincy makes the most geographic sense, though. 

Really my argument for Cincy is 12, and the question of who would be better?

BYU, South Florida, Central Florida, East Carolina, Colorado State, etc.

Devalued your entire opinion

Average attendance at East Carolina football games: 49,665

Average attendance at Cincinnati football games: 35,067

East Carolina would be much better than Cincinnati. Colorado State would be similar, but they make more sense geographically.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17004 on: October 26, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17005 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »

:horrorsurprise: UPKS has been preaching 2025 for ever now. It's all coming together...

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17006 on: October 26, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
Thanks to Panj, I now have my heart set on ND and Louisville bb being in our league.  Somewhat excited about a BYU bb team, but let's face it, Jimmer is gone.

In football, distance is kind of meaningless.  Teams fly all over the place all of the time, so no big deal.

In every other sport, it makes a difference with the amount of times per year you have to travel.  So that makes BYU very unattractive.

However, if you can find a way to make them fit in football while finding a very deserving partner with geographical sanity to fill in all of the rest, who has a national following of their own, it's just gravy.

Then, if you can strike up an agreement for Notre Dame to play X number of Big 12 schools per year, it's just awesome.  That's more Tier 1 money right there for all of us to split and enjoy.

i don't understand the crap that's coming out of your mouth.  the non-revs are going to be flying to/from whomever joins the big12, just not on charter.

notre dame is closer to west virginia than byu is his point.  west virginia is 2 time zones from byu.  notre dame makes more geographical sense for all sports but wouldnt add a football program.  for football flying a long ways on the weekend isnt as a big of a deal as say a volleyball team in the middle of the weak flying half way across the country twice on the same day/night.

SBN isn't much easier to get to than Provo.  the travel differential between Provo/South Bend is a dumb talking point and the small variance in time it takes to get to one vs the other would not shape a decision on the matter of who joins the b12.

Notre Dame wouldn't force you into Saturday double-headers in baseball because of the whole, "Joseph Smith says we can't travel on Sundays," thing.
you're moving around a lot.  the discussion you "yup'd" to earlier was related to flying a long ways.  at least most people in this thread can admit they don't know what the eff they're talking about.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17007 on: October 26, 2011, 10:38:27 AM »
He's opening K-State South Florida campus.  

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #17008 on: October 26, 2011, 10:47:31 AM »
Thanks to Panj, I now have my heart set on ND and Louisville bb being in our league.  Somewhat excited about a BYU bb team, but let's face it, Jimmer is gone.

In football, distance is kind of meaningless.  Teams fly all over the place all of the time, so no big deal.

In every other sport, it makes a difference with the amount of times per year you have to travel.  So that makes BYU very unattractive.

However, if you can find a way to make them fit in football while finding a very deserving partner with geographical sanity to fill in all of the rest, who has a national following of their own, it's just gravy.

Then, if you can strike up an agreement for Notre Dame to play X number of Big 12 schools per year, it's just awesome.  That's more Tier 1 money right there for all of us to split and enjoy.

i don't understand the crap that's coming out of your mouth.  the non-revs are going to be flying to/from whomever joins the big12, just not on charter.

notre dame is closer to west virginia than byu is his point.  west virginia is 2 time zones from byu.  notre dame makes more geographical sense for all sports but wouldnt add a football program.  for football flying a long ways on the weekend isnt as a big of a deal as say a volleyball team in the middle of the weak flying half way across the country twice on the same day/night.

SBN isn't much easier to get to than Provo.  the travel differential between Provo/South Bend is a dumb talking point and the small variance in time it takes to get to one vs the other would not shape a decision on the matter of who joins the b12.

Notre Dame wouldn't force you into Saturday double-headers in baseball because of the whole, "Joseph Smith says we can't travel on Sundays," thing.
you're moving around a lot.  the discussion you "yup'd" to earlier was related to flying a long ways.  at least most people in this thread can admit they don't know what the eff they're talking about.

Well, travel distance does come into play when you're forced into weird scheduling due to BYU's protocols.

And I'll admit that I don't know any more than most people in this thread.  But travel to BYU will be an issue due to them being so far out there in the West, and the fact that they won't agree to the same travel policies as other schools.  That may not be a big factor, but it will be a factor.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #17009 on: October 26, 2011, 10:56:50 AM »

+4  :pray:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17010 on: October 26, 2011, 11:01:54 AM »
central florida has 50k undergrad students and another 10k grad students. it went from not having a fball team at all thirty years ago to finally becoming fbs 15 years ago. they went from averaging under 20k ten years ago to averaging over 40k last year. they won conference usa twice, beat georgia in a bowl game last year and have played in a bowl game in 4/6 years.

south florida didn't have any football team fifteen years ago and only went fbs ten years ago. in those ten years they've been ranked as high as #2. they've beat west virginia twice, louisiville, auburn, florida state, etc. their overall win % is over .600. they've played in six straight bowl games. their home attendance record is 67,000. they have averaged over 50k. they have over 30k undergrad students.

but yeah, lets add cincinatti  :flush:
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:11:38 AM by Rick Daris »

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17011 on: October 26, 2011, 11:10:29 AM »
central florida has 50k undergrad students and another 10k grad students. it went from not having a fball team at all thirty years ago to finally becoming fbs 15 years ago. they went from averaging under 20k ten years ago to averaging over 40k last year. they won conference usa twice, beat georgia in a bowl game last year and have played in a bowl game in 4/6 years.

south florida didn't have any football team fifteen years ago and only went fbs ten years ago. in those ten years they've been ranked as high as #2. they've beat west virginia twice, louisiville, auburn, florida state, etc. their overall win % is over .600. they've played in six straight bowl games. their home attendance record is 67,000. they have averaged over 50k.

but yeah, lets add cincinatti  :flush:

it makes even move Geographical sense as we will be connected by the Gulf of Mexico. Imagine the flotilla we could launch to each game.
RIP Fatty

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17012 on: October 26, 2011, 11:11:52 AM »
Sean Snyder  :flush:

Bret Bielema  :lol:

Dan Dimel  :blank:

Jim Leavitt   :blank:

Isn't it funny how people bring up Sean and it isn't immediately dismissed as absurd?  The incredible vigilence needed for these Snyder-tucks is necessary, but exhausting.  It really spoils my EMAW.  Like a fine malbec left uncorked for a couple days.  I just enjoyed it and yet, now it sits there taunting me.  I know if I pour that last glass it will be vinegar.

Offline kstater

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17013 on: October 26, 2011, 11:48:35 AM »
FYI CNSCasey is killing Scotchy on twitter.  Scotchy follows it up with
Wow. 181 followers. Keep it up, perhaps more will listen.

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #17014 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:13 AM »

lol

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #17015 on: October 26, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »

He's worse than fesco.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17016 on: October 26, 2011, 01:08:19 PM »
Landthieves saying OU blocking WVU addition in order to get confy to accept both WVU and Louisville.  OU evidently using block as a way to get back to 12 rather than just hurring to add WVU and stay at 10.  As long as it doesn't back fire, I am fine with this.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17017 on: October 26, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »

south florida didn't have any football team fifteen years ago and only went fbs ten years ago. in those ten years they've been ranked as high as #2. they've beat west virginia twice, louisiville, auburn, florida state, etc. their overall win % is over .600. they've played in six straight bowl games. their home attendance record is 67,000. they have averaged over 50k. they have over 30k undergrad students.

but yeah, lets add cincinatti  :flush:

I'm not going to sit here and say I wouldn't want UCF, I'm just surprised it has been mentioned given the general disdain for commuter schools around here.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #17018 on: October 26, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »
Landthieves saying OU blocking WVU addition in order to get confy to accept both WVU and Louisville.  OU evidently using block as a way to get back to 12 rather than just hurring to add WVU and stay at 10.  As long as it doesn't back fire, I am fine with this.

They're also saying that OU, OSU, Tech, and KSU want 12, UT and Baylor want 10, KU doesn't know what they want to do (as they are scared of more BBall competition from adding Louisville and WVU), and ISU just wants the option that gives them more money, presumably to buy more sandbags.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #17019 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:12 PM »
eff IT! ADD'EM ALL!

Offline Acceleration Man

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17020 on: October 26, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »

They're also saying that OU, OSU, Tech, and KSU want 12, UT and Baylor want 10, KU doesn't know what they want to do (as they are scared of more BBall competition from adding Louisville and WVU), and ISU just wants the option that gives them more money, presumably to buy more sandbags.

:lol: :popcorn:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17021 on: October 26, 2011, 01:39:33 PM »

but yeah, lets add cincinatti  :flush:

I'm not going to sit here and say I wouldn't want UCF, I'm just surprised it has been mentioned given the general disdain for commuter schools around here.

well if we're going to add a commuter school, do we want to add one on a beach or close to it with a bigger stadium and more fans in attendance or do we want to add cincinatti? #floridaschoolsorbust

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17022 on: October 26, 2011, 01:51:55 PM »
Central Florida sounds to mid majory, change to Florida Tech and I can get behind the RD plan

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #17023 on: October 26, 2011, 01:53:37 PM »
Florida Tech is in Melbourne. 

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #17024 on: October 26, 2011, 02:02:18 PM »
Someone please explain why the B12 would even have to think about add WV vs Lou?  The amazing clusterfrack continues.