Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4065940 times)

catzacker

Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #13825 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:17 AM »
a commitment of 10 years or 20 years or 100 years means nothing anyway.

yeah, weird meltdown by zack.

The meltdown (granted it was/is from a tweet which might not contain all the information) was derived from the idea that a 5 year (or 100 year or 1000 year) “commitment” was going to somehow remediate the issue of retention. It doesn’t.  Pledges don’t.  The only thing that would, imo, is severe penalties.  People could say “you can’t build trust if you hold people hostage”.  I say you can’t trust anyone with options.  Espeically when that option is easy to attain.  Making the TV revenue penalty more severe and instituting a punitive payment would address the issue of retention (or rather it would be more effective).  It wouldn’t completely address retention, obviously, but it’s much better than some “commitment”.  Creating an environment similar to every other successful conference (i.e. equal revenue sharing with a tier 3 conference network) would be another step. 

the bold is part of why it was a weird meltdown, the other is what do you expect them to get done in 2 hours? Did you expect them to come up with a $30 million exit fee in such a short time span? I mean christ.

No, however the idea of a penalty should be the focus, not a commitment.  Chip reported the same thing.  So to me, that’s where the powers that be (i.e. OU and UT) are coming from.  That’s the angle they are coming at this.  And quite frankly, it’s beyond absurd.  I would have expected increasing penalties to be in the lead sentence…hell, just somewhere in the freaking discussion/story/leak.  It isn’t.  It’s not anywhere.  Maybe it will be, but right now, it’s not.    What is in the story is the idea that OU and UT are willing to make the same commitment as buying a brand new Dodge Stratus.  

All that being said, I generally need something to complain about and this is what I’m clinging to.  It’s tough sledding for me right now.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #13826 on: September 21, 2011, 09:45:38 AM »
Last night's news was a big punch in the gut for Swaim.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13827 on: September 21, 2011, 09:46:51 AM »
ChipBrown

Post #2673
MyFanPage
Add Buddy
Ignore Pac-12 says it's not expanding...Big 12 breathes ..(UPDATED 8 AM) Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 AM - A well-placed source with knowledge of the situation said it's doubtful BYU would be the 10th school in the Big 12, and it would be more about BYU not wanting to join the Big 12 than vice versa.

Some Big 12 sources were pointing at BYU as a leading candidate to replace Texas A&M as the 10th member of the Big 12.

But BYU sees the Big 12 situation as simply too volatile right now to forfeit its independence, the source said.

The source put BYU's chances of joining the Big 12 at "80-20 against."

That might promote Louisville to the leading candidate to become the 10th member of the Big 12.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13828 on: September 21, 2011, 09:47:22 AM »

The meltdown (granted it was/is from a tweet which might not contain all the information) was derived from the idea that a 5 year (or 100 year or 1000 year) “commitment” was going to somehow remediate the issue of retention. It doesn’t.  Pledges don’t.  The only thing that would, imo, is severe penalties.  People could say “you can’t build trust if you hold people hostage”.  I say you can’t trust anyone with options.  Espeically when that option is easy to attain.  Making the TV revenue penalty more severe and instituting a punitive payment would address the issue of retention (or rather it would be more effective).  It wouldn’t completely address retention, obviously, but it’s much better than some “commitment”.  Creating an environment similar to every other successful conference (i.e. equal revenue sharing with a tier 3 conference network) would be another step.  

the bold is part of why it was a weird meltdown, the other is what do you expect them to get done in 2 hours? Did you expect them to come up with a $30 million exit fee in such a short time span? I mean christ.

No, however the idea of a penalty should be the focus, not a commitment.  Chip reported the same thing.  So to me, that’s where the powers that be (i.e. OU and UT) are coming from.  That’s the angle they are coming at this.  And quite frankly, it’s beyond absurd.  I would have expected increasing penalties to be in the lead sentence…hell, just somewhere in the freaking discussion/story/leak.  It isn’t.  It’s not anywhere.  Maybe it will be, but right now, it’s not.    What is in the story is the idea that OU and UT are willing to make the same commitment as buying a brand new Dodge Stratus.  

All that being said, I generally need something to complain about and this is what I’m clinging to.  It’s tough sledding for me right now.

jesus christ, just let the dust settle a bit. There's still A LOT for them to talk about.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13829 on: September 21, 2011, 09:49:03 AM »
If we got Louisville and the couch burners, anyone heard anything about what ND would to with it's non-football sports?  Chip's saying that BYU may not be warm to joining a "volatile" B12.  I'd rather get BYU as FB only and ND in everything else.  BYU might be much more willing to join at FB only.  If the Big12 falls apart in 5 years they are right back to where they are now, only with a lot more money.

Imagine the B12 bball tourney in KC with ND, WVU, and Louisville replacing A&M, Nub, and CU.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:51:34 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13830 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:21 AM »
So OU was leading the committee to find new members, the BYU report says it was locked up pretty soon after aTm bailed, then OU knowing the conference was stable again with a solid tenth member held the conference hostage by threatening to go to the PAC to get UT to back down a bit?  

So do we believe that OU was really shocked and upset when Pitt and Syracuse left and no longer were potential new members?  Are we saying that OU never wanted even a little bit to go to the PAC-12?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13831 on: September 21, 2011, 09:50:29 AM »
Still want A&M back.  Just imagine the hatred.  Games would be amazing.  

Hope MU does the same and also stays.  

A conf where everyone hates each other would be the best confy to be in.  

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13832 on: September 21, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
ChipBrown

Post #2673
MyFanPage
Add Buddy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 AM - A well-placed source with knowledge of the situation said it's doubtful BYU would be the 10th school in the Big 12, and it would be more about BYU not wanting to join the Big 12 than vice versa.

Some Big 12 sources were pointing at BYU as a leading candidate to replace Texas A&M as the 10th member of the Big 12.

But BYU sees the Big 12 situation as simply too volatile right now to forfeit its independence, the source said.

That might promote Louisville to the leading candidate to become the 10th member of the Big 12.

Does Chip just announce every possibility so that he can say he scooped everyone?

catzacker

« Reply #13833 on: September 21, 2011, 09:51:51 AM »

The meltdown (granted it was/is from a tweet which might not contain all the information) was derived from the idea that a 5 year (or 100 year or 1000 year) “commitment” was going to somehow remediate the issue of retention. It doesn’t.  Pledges don’t.  The only thing that would, imo, is severe penalties.  People could say “you can’t build trust if you hold people hostage”.  I say you can’t trust anyone with options.  Espeically when that option is easy to attain.  Making the TV revenue penalty more severe and instituting a punitive payment would address the issue of retention (or rather it would be more effective).  It wouldn’t completely address retention, obviously, but it’s much better than some “commitment”.  Creating an environment similar to every other successful conference (i.e. equal revenue sharing with a tier 3 conference network) would be another step.  

jesus christ, just let the dust settle a bit. There's still A LOT for them to talk about.

but I want an oompa loompa now

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #13834 on: September 21, 2011, 09:53:22 AM »

lol

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13835 on: September 21, 2011, 09:58:14 AM »

can it you nit.   :grin: 

focus your energies somewhere else.  e.g. LHC Bill Snyder

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13836 on: September 21, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
ChipBrown

Post #2673
MyFanPage
Add Buddy

I'll believe it when I see it.

They were staring complete oblivion in the face twelve hours ago, and our situation is too volatile?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13837 on: September 21, 2011, 10:03:19 AM »
For his contributions to the board, the good captain deserves a new image:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13838 on: September 21, 2011, 10:04:01 AM »

:thumbs:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13839 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:09 AM »

:emawkid:

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13840 on: September 21, 2011, 10:06:46 AM »

One of these days FAN your skills are going to solve world hunger.  :kstategrad:
RIP Fatty

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13841 on: September 21, 2011, 10:21:12 AM »

oh my  :love:

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13842 on: September 21, 2011, 10:27:40 AM »

:blush:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #13843 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:22 AM »
Our hero

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13844 on: September 21, 2011, 10:35:36 AM »
GoodmanCBS Jeff Goodman
Scott Drew's quote to me earlier: "For today, I'm a huge fan of the Pac-12."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13845 on: September 21, 2011, 10:37:00 AM »
GoodmanCBS Jeff Goodman
Scott Drew's quote to me earlier: "For today, I'm a huge fan of the Pac-12."

yeah, they are getting made out as heros in all of this.  lol at that.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13846 on: September 21, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »
5 years is an eternity, long enough to rationally add a couple more teams

with equal revenue sharing, 12 members and a new contract, then the conference will stick together

How much would that be?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13847 on: September 21, 2011, 10:51:34 AM »

with equal revenue sharing, 12 members and a new contract, then the conference will stick together

How much would that be?
1/12th

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13848 on: September 21, 2011, 10:59:33 AM »

How much would that be?
1/12th

Will take.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13849 on: September 21, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
Still want A&M back.  Just imagine the hatred.  Games would be amazing.  

Hope MU does the same and also stays.  

A conf where everyone hates each other would be the best confy to be in.  

Yes.  A conference where everyone hates each other but is committed to remaining together to ensure that hate burns for decades. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.