Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4140684 times)

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #13800 on: September 21, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
Man, I wonder what Capt. Crap was telling us to be patient about...Surely he could not have seen it playing out quite like this.

At some point when things settle down I can probably get into some more detail about the last week or two. Let's just say last night was not surprising.
I will be looking forward to that point in time.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: September 21, 2011, 08:42:28 AM »
hopefully in the new Big 12 we can dump KU once and for all.  why do they need to be in this conference?  they bring nothing to the table and are really annoying. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: September 21, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
Man, I wonder what Capt. Crap was telling us to be patient about...Surely he could not have seen it playing out quite like this.

At some point when things settle down I can probably get into some more detail about the last week or two. Let's just say last night was not surprising.

oh my :love:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: September 21, 2011, 08:45:24 AM »
hopefully in the new Big 12 we can dump KU once and for all.  why do they need to be in this conference?  they bring nothing to the table and are really annoying. 
Yes, we should see if UNI wants to take their spot.  They are just as good in basketball, and that's all KU is good for anyway.

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: September 21, 2011, 08:46:33 AM »

Exactly.  It's like our state really doesn't have the population to support two BCS level teams, and considering the sorry state of their football program, it doesn't make sense to continue this charade.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13805 on: September 21, 2011, 08:58:33 AM »

Exactly.  It's like our state really doesn't have the population to support two BCS level teams, and considering the sorry state of their football program, it doesn't make sense to continue this charade.

So glad we're back to this.   :cool:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: September 21, 2011, 09:04:41 AM »
Can we get a separate BOR just for K-State?  kthxbai

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: September 21, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »

Their Georgia Tech game brought a good deal of unwelcome publicity to the state of Kansas.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13808 on: September 21, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13809 on: September 21, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
ChipBrownOB: Also hearing TCU is exploring the possibility of returning to the Mountain West instead joining the Big East next season.

MWC's lineup + TCU next year probably stands a better chance, long term, of having AQ status than the Big East minus whoever and adding service academies.

Houston may be able to move over there too to get them to twelve?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: September 21, 2011, 09:16:08 AM »
Can we get a separate BOR just for K-State?  kthxbai

we already have one.  and a governor.  it's the hayseeds from lawrentucky that need help, not us.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13811 on: September 21, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »
Hmmm, LSOC just spent the last 48 hours in Columbia.  Still here actually (the Courtyard is acceptable, the Bennigans attached is subpar)...coincidence?

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: September 21, 2011, 09:21:47 AM »
Hmmm, LSOC just spent the last 48 hours in Columbia.  Still here actually (the Courtyard is acceptable, the Bennigans attached is subpar)...coincidence?

Stayed in that same Courtyard.  The Bennigans is decent as far as Bennigans go, but subpar as far as restaurants go.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: September 21, 2011, 09:22:17 AM »
ChipBrownOB: Also hearing TCU is exploring the possibility of returning to the Mountain West instead joining the Big East next season.

MWC's lineup + TCU next year probably stands a better chance, long term, of having AQ status than the Big East minus whoever and adding service academies.

The Big East is in no danger of losing AQ status. They could add UCF and ECU and actually get better at football.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: September 21, 2011, 09:23:29 AM »
So OU was leading the committee to find new members, the BYU report says it was locked up pretty soon after aTm bailed, then OU knowing the conference was stable again with a solid tenth member held the conference hostage by threatening to go to the PAC to get UT to back down a bit?  

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13815 on: September 21, 2011, 09:23:43 AM »

The Big East is in no danger of losing AQ status. They could add UCF and ECU and actually get better at football.

Assuming other conferences don't raid them.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13816 on: September 21, 2011, 09:24:24 AM »
So OU was leading the committee to find new members, the BYU report says it was locked up pretty soon after aTm bailed, then OU knowing the conference was stable again with a solid tenth member held the conference hostage by threatening to go to the PAC to get UT to back down a bit?  

More or less.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13817 on: September 21, 2011, 09:24:31 AM »

David Boren is an bad person.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13819 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:03 AM »

Assuming other conferences don't raid them.

Well, yeah, if they start losing good football teams, they're mumped.

Offline Johnny Wichita

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13820 on: September 21, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »

Sounds a bit like a badass. 

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13821 on: September 21, 2011, 09:33:26 AM »
So I guess the biggest question if all of this falls together is 10 or 12 members? Has that been talked about?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13822 on: September 21, 2011, 09:36:37 AM »
a commitment of 10 years or 20 years or 100 years means nothing anyway.

yeah, weird meltdown by zack.

The meltdown (granted it was/is from a tweet which might not contain all the information) was derived from the idea that a 5 year (or 100 year or 1000 year) “commitment” was going to somehow remediate the issue of retention. It doesn’t.  Pledges don’t.  The only thing that would, imo, is severe penalties.  People could say “you can’t build trust if you hold people hostage”.  I say you can’t trust anyone with options.  Espeically when that option is easy to attain.  Making the TV revenue penalty more severe and instituting a punitive payment would address the issue of retention (or rather it would be more effective).  It wouldn’t completely address retention, obviously, but it’s much better than some “commitment”.  Creating an environment similar to every other successful conference (i.e. equal revenue sharing with a tier 3 conference network) would be another step. 

the bold is part of why it was a weird meltdown, the other is what do you expect them to get done in 2 hours? Did you expect them to come up with a $30 million exit fee in such a short time span? I mean christ.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13823 on: September 21, 2011, 09:41:02 AM »

Sounds a bit like a badass. 

http://www.nndb.com/people/839/000051686/

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13824 on: September 21, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »
a commitment of 10 years or 20 years or 100 years means nothing anyway.

yeah, weird meltdown by zack.

The meltdown (granted it was/is from a tweet which might not contain all the information) was derived from the idea that a 5 year (or 100 year or 1000 year) “commitment” was going to somehow remediate the issue of retention. It doesn’t.  Pledges don’t.  The only thing that would, imo, is severe penalties.  People could say “you can’t build trust if you hold people hostage”.  I say you can’t trust anyone with options.  Espeically when that option is easy to attain.  Making the TV revenue penalty more severe and instituting a punitive payment would address the issue of retention (or rather it would be more effective).  It wouldn’t completely address retention, obviously, but it’s much better than some “commitment”.  Creating an environment similar to every other successful conference (i.e. equal revenue sharing with a tier 3 conference network) would be another step. 

the bold is part of why it was a weird meltdown, the other is what do you expect them to get done in 2 hours? Did you expect them to come up with a $30 million exit fee in such a short time span? I mean christ.

We have a lot of work to do in general.  Whatever Deaton is supposedly putting together probably requires a very long conference call or an in-person meeting.

I mean we're most likely going to blow the thing up and start over.  If it's ten teams, we're going to lose the stupid name.  If it's back to twelve teams, we have to figure out who they're going to be.  Once you get the members, then we start talking about all of the rest of this crap.