Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4122428 times)

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #13650 on: September 20, 2011, 11:29:05 PM »
all I want if for this thread to reach 600. that's all I want...

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13651 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:13 PM »
BYU in as a full member

http://byu.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1003&CID=1268216
RIP Fatty

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13652 on: September 20, 2011, 11:30:15 PM »
It's hard to recruit 5* talent if the recruits think the coach is going to leave soon. And guess what the first thing on the Big 12's agenda is? Recruiting.

catzacker

« Reply #13653 on: September 20, 2011, 11:31:36 PM »
so basically, UT and OU are willing to buy a Toyota Highlander and finance it over 60 months.  Fantastic.  Sign me the f*ck up.  I mean, make sure you get the sun roof, luggage rack and all leather interior.  Jesus.  Jesus rough ridin' Christ.  

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13654 on: September 20, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »
jfc. 5 years is stability?  Rockstars get married for longer than that.

Andy_Staples Andy Staples
RT @JimVertuno: Big 12 source tells AP #Texas and OU officials to meet in next few days to negotiate deal that keeps both in league 5 years.
3 minutes ago

If true, what a rough ridin' joke.  This conference is truly screwed if there is any truth to the 5 yr part.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13655 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:33 PM »
Also, I see this as the breaking point for 16 team conferences.  If it doesn't happen now, it will never happen.  I think the PAC just figured that one out, and the SEC has been thinking that every since they accepted A&M and didn't have a solid 14th.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13656 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:40 PM »
Stability could come with all of the following probably having to happen:

3) New Commissioner with full conference power

I don't know what "full conference power" means exactly but if you mean having a commish with the ability to make decisions without consulting the conference UPs, no conference commissioner has that.  Larry Scott didn't say we're staying at 12 schools, the UPs did.  Mike Slive didn't invite A&M.  Conferences have board of directors for checks and balances.

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13657 on: September 20, 2011, 11:32:53 PM »
jfc. 5 years is stability?  Rockstars get married for longer than that.

RT @JimVertuno: Big 12 source tells AP #Texas and OU officials to meet in next few days to negotiate deal that keeps both in league 5 years.
3 minutes ago

If true, what a rough ridin' joke.  This conference is truly screwed if there is any truth to the 5 yr part.

Tier one right are up in 5 years I thought
RIP Fatty

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13658 on: September 20, 2011, 11:33:07 PM »
jfc. 5 years is stability?  Rockstars get married for longer than that.

3 minutes ago

5 years is a ridiculous amount of time for two teams who have tested other waters two years in a row.  Ultimately, this gives the conference enough time to get a solid foundation and set of rules created that would hopefully prevent this mess from happening in foreseeable future.  Ideally, this will hopefully set up the conference for having a commissioner that attains full control.  

Yeah, but I feel like OU and UT are gonna set the terms again, and nothing's gonna change, and Missouri will still point its cooch to Delaney, and if there seems to be a movement toward equality in the next few years, both OU and UT are gonna sound the alarm again.  This sucks.  You should never start a prediction with "Ideally...", because when has anything about any of this ever resulted in the ideal?

Here's a question for those with a HCRIQ: Pitt and Syracuse likely won't crawl back to the Big East, but with superconferences seeming less likely now, can the ACC give back Pitt and Syracuse?  The SEC seems to have some ground to give back aTm based on the threat of lawsuits (which I figure they might want to do now that they might be stuck with an awkward number), but does the ACC?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13659 on: September 20, 2011, 11:33:16 PM »
BYU in as a full member

:surprised:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13660 on: September 20, 2011, 11:34:19 PM »
What do you want?  A pledge?

catzacker

« Reply #13661 on: September 20, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
Great.  We tricked the mormons to join this conference.  I guess if their "mission" is only 2 years, 5 years must be an eternity to them.  

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13662 on: September 20, 2011, 11:35:46 PM »
BYU in as a full member

A source close to the situation at Brigham Young University is indicating that if the Big 12 Conference in fact holds together as now expected, BYU is highly likely to become a full member of that conference if it can be assured that the league will be stable into the future.

The source says that university and Big 12 officials were close to making an announcement of the addition of BYU to the conference following the loss of Texas A&M, but those plans were put on hold when Oklahoma president David Boren made it known that the Sooners were exploring their options with the PAC-12. That same source informed Deep Shades of Blue last year of BYU's intent to become a football independent weeks before its official announcement.

The source also informed DSB that prior to the Sooners courting of the PAC-12, the BYU Board of Trustees had authorized President Cecil O. Samuelson to move all of the school's athletic programs into the Big 12.

That authorization was granted despite concerns from high-ranking officials of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who are sensitive to relationships between the Church and the faith-based institutions of the West Coast Conference, which provided a home just last year for most of BYU's athletic teams.

On Tuesday afternoon, The Oklahoman reported that Oklahoma is now willing to consider staying in the Big 12, contingent upon the removal of current conference commissioner Dan Beebe and making other significant reforms within the conference, including rules placed on the Longhorn Network.

Then came a report Tuesday night that the PAC-12 has decided not expand.

Those reports coincided with a report that emerged from a Tuesday meeting between Big East officials, that a merger that had been discussed between the Big East and the Big 12 was now dead because of a lack of interest, with the Big East being told by schools in the Big 12 that they are committed to trying to hold their conference together.

A report from Orangebloods.com also says that a serious effort is being made by Big 12 member schools to hold the conference together, quoting one high-ranking official at a Big 12 school as saying, "The Big 12 is going to stay intact except for Texas A&M."

If the nine remaining members of the embattled conference can indeed kiss and make up, they will almost certainly move rapidly to add another school to replace the departing Texas A&M. It is not clear if the conference would immediately look to get back to 12 schools or expand even further. However, the source at BYU believes that if the Big 12 is in fact saved and solidified, adding the Cougars to the conference could happen quickly, even within a matter of days.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13663 on: September 20, 2011, 11:36:22 PM »
Also, you fuckers should be praying that OU and TU come to that 5 year agreement.  If it happens, we are pretty much guaranteed west side stadium with the 5 solid years of revenue.   :thumbs:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13664 on: September 20, 2011, 11:36:30 PM »
jfc. 5 years is stability?  Rockstars get married for longer than that.

3 minutes ago

5 years is a ridiculous amount of time for two teams who have tested other waters two years in a row.  Ultimately, this gives the conference enough time to get a solid foundation and set of rules created that would hopefully prevent this mess from happening in foreseeable future.  Ideally, this will hopefully set up the conference for having a commissioner that attains full control.  

Yeah, but I feel like OU and UT are gonna set the terms again, and nothing's gonna change, and Missouri will still point its cooch to Delaney, and if there seems to be a movement toward equality in the next few years, both OU and UT are gonna sound the alarm again.  This sucks.  You should never start a prediction with "Ideally...", because when has anything about any of this ever resulted in the ideal?

Here's a question for those with a HCRIQ: Pitt and Syracuse likely won't crawl back to the Big East, but with superconferences seeming less likely now, can the ACC give back Pitt and Syracuse?  The SEC seems to have some ground to give back aTm based on the threat of lawsuits (which I figure they might want to do now that they might be stuck with an awkward number), but does the ACC?

Well, Pitt and Syracuse are apparently not going anywhere for 27 months, so, who knows?

Actually, yes, I'm sure they'll leave.  And I also feel comfortable saying I think they'll try to poach UConn and Rutgers.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13665 on: September 20, 2011, 11:37:23 PM »
Also, you fuckers should be praying that OU and TU come to that 5 year agreement.  If it happens, we are pretty much guaranteed west side stadium with the 5 solid years of revenue.   :thumbs:

:kstategrad:

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #13666 on: September 20, 2011, 11:37:34 PM »
5 years is an eternity, long enough to rationally add a couple more teams

with equal revenue sharing, 12 members and a new contract, then the conference will stick together
emaw

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13667 on: September 20, 2011, 11:38:55 PM »
So you guys freaking out about the alleged 5 year deal just going to ignore what I said about the tier one rights deal?  If there is a 5 year deal proposed it has more to do with getting to the new deal and also seeing what might need to be adjusted with the LHN or Big 12 Network.  Getting to the new tier one rights deal is far more important than signing a 5 or 500 year deal next week.  Whoever gets those tier one rights will certainly protect their investment.

Feel free to continue to meltdown about something insignificant though.

catzacker

« Reply #13668 on: September 20, 2011, 11:40:49 PM »
from boren.  jfc. 

Jake_Trotter Jake Trotter
"Stability has been our first goal and we look forward to achieving that goal through continued membership in the Big 12 Conference."
10 minutes ago

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13669 on: September 20, 2011, 11:40:55 PM »
5 years is an eternity, long enough to rationally add a couple more teams

with equal revenue sharing, 12 members and a new contract, then the conference will stick together

I don't even buy the five years part.  If that were true, Mizzou would tell them both to screw off and just take the sure thing in the SEC.

They'll commit, they'll reform, and we'll get to ten, minimum.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13670 on: September 20, 2011, 11:41:21 PM »

I always do.    :runaway:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13671 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:13 PM »
I think everyone is overlooking the most important thing here...

WEST SIDE EXPANSION!  :pbj: :pbj: :pbj: :pbj: :pbj:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13672 on: September 20, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
So you guys freaking out about the alleged 5 year deal just going to ignore what I said about the tier one rights deal?  If there is a 5 year deal proposed it has more to do with getting to the new deal and also seeing what might need to be adjusted with the LHN or Big 12 Network.  Getting to the new tier one rights deal is far more important than signing a 5 or 500 year deal next week.  Whoever gets those tier one rights will certainly protect their investment.

I think you're dead on with the rights deal angle.  I think they're basically saying that they'll commit to staying for the next five years, with equal revenue sharing, even though we're getting crap money.

I think that was tweeted out of context.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13673 on: September 20, 2011, 11:43:08 PM »
from boren.  jfc. 

Jake_Trotter Jake Trotter
"Stability has been our first goal and we look forward to achieving that goal through continued membership in the Big 12 Conference."
10 minutes ago

He needs Beasley to mush his old face.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13674 on: September 20, 2011, 11:43:15 PM »
Mods, motion for the "celebratory banner" made famous in the summer of '10?

TIA

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]