Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4141007 times)

catzacker

Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #13675 on: September 20, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »
So you guys freaking out about the alleged 5 year deal just going to ignore what I said about the tier one rights deal?  If there is a 5 year deal proposed it has more to do with getting to the new deal and also seeing what might need to be adjusted with the LHN or Big 12 Network.  Getting to the new tier one rights deal is far more important than signing a 5 or 500 year deal next week.  Whoever gets those tier one rights will certainly protect their investment.

Feel free to continue to meltdown about something insignificant though.

I don't understand where the 5 years comes from.  How you contractually put "5 years" into a contract/rule?  It's not prison.  There are ways to get out of it.  Length of term is not the problem, the severity of the penalty for leaving is.  That's why the ACC did that.  They didn't come out and say "hey, everyone agreed we'd be around for 5 more years, so, ya know, we're solidified".  The 5 year thing is curious to me.  I understand "getting to the tier one contract" but not from the angle that "hey, we all agree we'll stay for 5 years, okay?".  

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13676 on: September 20, 2011, 11:44:41 PM »
We also need a huge buyout clause implemented like the ACC as well, somewhere in the $25 million range to detour MU when they start having the urge to whore themselves out again.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13677 on: September 20, 2011, 11:45:04 PM »
So you guys freaking out about the alleged 5 year deal just going to ignore what I said about the tier one rights deal?  If there is a 5 year deal proposed it has more to do with getting to the new deal and also seeing what might need to be adjusted with the LHN or Big 12 Network.  Getting to the new tier one rights deal is far more important than signing a 5 or 500 year deal next week.  Whoever gets those tier one rights will certainly protect their investment.

No, I just needed you to dumb it down for me.

Also, my mind is still in meltdown mode, and I'm not sure if I remember how to turn it off.

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #13678 on: September 20, 2011, 11:45:42 PM »
Team "5 years isn't a big deal"

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13679 on: September 20, 2011, 11:45:53 PM »
We also need a huge buyout clause implemented like the ACC as well, somewhere in the $25 million range to detour MU when they start having the urge to whore themselves out again.

you clearly didn't read the previous page

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #13680 on: September 20, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »

No, I just needed you to dumb it down for me.

Also, my mind is still in meltdown mode, and I'm not sure if I remember how to turn it off.

Quote from: MakeItRain on Today at 11:38:55 PM

I think you're dead on with the rights deal angle. I think they're basically saying that they'll commit to staying for the next five years, with equal revenue sharing, even though we're getting crap money.

I think that was tweeted out of context.

Me from last page.

catzacker

« Reply #13681 on: September 20, 2011, 11:47:56 PM »
I'll also add that the Tier 2 contract was a gigantic upgrade that didn't stop Fox from protecting their investment.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #13682 on: September 20, 2011, 11:48:14 PM »
So if the SEC were to say no thanks to an awkward thirteenth warrior in aTm, which I realize they probably won't except in my wildest cruel fantasies, do we let them back in?

I would initially be inclined to say no way, because they're little bitches, but then again it would be amazing to rub their little bitch-ass faces in it every single year and get them anchored into some impossible-to-break contract.  God we would be ruthless to them everywhere they went and it would be fantastic.

/daydream
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13683 on: September 20, 2011, 11:49:04 PM »

I think that comes in 2015, and I personally want everyone to turn over their Tier 3 rights over to the conference for a network.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13684 on: September 20, 2011, 11:49:37 PM »
So if the SEC were to say no thanks to an awkward thirteenth warrior in aTm, which I realize they probably won't except in my wildest cruel fantasies, do we let them back in?

I would initially be inclined to say no way, because they're little bitches, but then again it would be amazing to rub their little bitch-ass faces in it every single year and get them anchored into some impossible-to-break contract.  God we would be ruthless to them everywhere they went and it was fantastic.

/daydream

goddammit, it's like no one reads anything anymore. I literally just posted this

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13685 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:39 PM »
I'll also add that the Tier 2 contract was a gigantic upgrade that didn't stop Fox from protecting their investment.

There is value in the Big 12, and the networks want it to survive.

ESPN gifted Texas a $300 million deal to stay the ---- home.  Now, it kind of backfired, but the point remains that they actually want multiple conferences.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13686 on: September 20, 2011, 11:50:44 PM »

how much was the fox contract worth? also, what would the tier 1 be worth if shared equally?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13687 on: September 20, 2011, 11:53:13 PM »

I would initially be inclined to say no way, because they're little bitches, but then again it would be amazing to rub their little bitch-ass faces in it every single year and get them anchored into some impossible-to-break contract.  God we would be ruthless to them everywhere they went and it was fantastic.

/daydream

goddammit, it's like no one reads anything anymore. I literally just posted this

What you posted is not literally what I posted at all.   :comeatme:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #13688 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »

you clearly didn't read the previous page

Just read it.  100 million it is!

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13689 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »

would be great if SEC says no, A&M comes crawling back to the Big XII and they're all  :gocho: "I don't think so..."

What you posted is not literally what I posted at all.   

was too...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:58:44 PM by KCFDcat »

catzacker

« Reply #13690 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:58 PM »

ESPN gifted Texas a $300 million deal to stay the ---- home.  Now, it kind of backfired, but the point remains that they actually want multiple conferences.

Regardless, the even suggestion of a timelimit as some sort of sign that "hey, this time when we say we're together, we mean it" is completely absurd.  If you really wanted to get serious, you'd raise the penalty for leaving to some ridiculous percentage of TV revenue AND a 30 million penalty.  Then, you don't have to put some stupid ass timeframe around it.  

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:57:35 PM by catzacker »

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13691 on: September 20, 2011, 11:55:55 PM »

Regardless, the even suggestion of a timelimit as some sort of sign that "hey, this time when we say we're together, we mean it" is completely absurd.  If you really wanted to get serious, you'd raise the penalty for leaving to some ridiculous percentage of TV revenue AND a 30 million penalty.  Then, you don't have to put some stupid ass timeframe around it.  

or just $100 mil

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13692 on: September 20, 2011, 11:56:31 PM »

It was a tweet.  I'm interested to hear the full context.

catzacker

« Reply #13693 on: September 20, 2011, 11:57:49 PM »
I guess, in the end, what I'm saying is that it's a Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) way to go at a retention problem, but par for the course with the f'ing circus that is the Big 12.  THAT'S. HOW. WE. PLAY.

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13694 on: September 20, 2011, 11:58:31 PM »
all I want if for this thread to reach 600. that's all I want...

If that is all you want, then why bitch about what others are posting? 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13695 on: September 20, 2011, 11:59:34 PM »

:shakesfist:

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13696 on: September 21, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »

/daydream

I can't see the SEC turning them away, but who the eff will be #14?  And if it's an ACC team, then the ACC is left with 13 teams.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13697 on: September 21, 2011, 12:01:01 AM »

Played.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13698 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »

I don't understand where the 5 years comes from.  How you contractually put "5 years" into a contract/rule?  It's not prison.  There are ways to get out of it.  Length of term is not the problem, the severity of the penalty for leaving is.  That's why the ACC did that.  They didn't come out and say "hey, everyone agreed we'd be around for 5 more years, so, ya know, we're solidified".  The 5 year thing is curious to me.  I understand "getting to the tier one contract" but not from the angle that "hey, we all agree we'll stay for 5 years, okay?".  

You're right I really don't know how you can or even would contractually oblige a school to stay in the conference for a set number of years.  I think either Staples was confused, limited by 160 characters, or simply full of crap.  As to your point about Fox and the tier two rights.  Your point is well taken however as generous as Fox was with their tier two rights, at the end of the day it was tier two rights.  UT and OU aren't going to make decisions based on how much their tier two rights are bringing in.  I'd argue that tier three rights are more important than tier two rights.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13699 on: September 21, 2011, 12:02:39 AM »

/daydream

I can't see the SEC turning them away, but who the eff will be #14?  And if it's an ACC team, then the ACC is left with 13 teams.

it is an interesting situation for them. I'm sure slive is kicking himself in the nuts right now