Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066778 times)

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #36350 on: November 02, 2023, 10:57:38 AM »
i also do not understand the rage about not playing isu every year. 3 out of 4 is perfectly fine. i'm not even sure i would care if we only played ku 3 out of 4. it's a new world, adapt.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #36351 on: November 02, 2023, 11:26:36 AM »
Everyone on the site f/k/a Twitter are losing it on farmageddon and while I am kinda sad about it, I also don't care. Maybe I'll feel differently in 2027. Just cause you play a school a lot doesn't mean you always have to.

I'm in general ok with the whole thing. I also don't love it. Mostly apathetic about it tbh.

Pretty much....the "Farmageddon" part is a much more recent aspect - I think it popped up in the original Conference Armageddon as manufactured hype after losing Neb, CU, and Mizzou.

I didn't even consider Mizzou a rival and most people didn't until Prince started losing to them. I kinda wish we played OSU and ISU every year because I think regional familiarity is why the sport works, but whatever.

Not football, but the early Frank teams vs MU had some knock down/drag outs that were a really good time.  Not enough duration to say that it sparked a rivalry, but those few years made me wish MU stayed in the conference for BB.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36352 on: November 02, 2023, 11:38:04 AM »
Everyone on the site f/k/a Twitter are losing it on farmageddon and while I am kinda sad about it, I also don't care. Maybe I'll feel differently in 2027. Just cause you play a school a lot doesn't mean you always have to.

I'm in general ok with the whole thing. I also don't love it. Mostly apathetic about it tbh.

Pretty much....the "Farmageddon" part is a much more recent aspect - I think it popped up in the original Conference Armageddon as manufactured hype after losing Neb, CU, and Mizzou.

I didn't even consider Mizzou a rival and most people didn't until Prince started losing to them. I kinda wish we played OSU and ISU every year because I think regional familiarity is why the sport works, but whatever.

Exactly. The issue that the Big 12 has with how they scheduled is that they only had four protected rivalries. Every team should have had one or two or nobody gets one. Having four is dumb, having one between the four Texas schools is even dumber.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36353 on: November 02, 2023, 12:00:29 PM »
I think the trade off for regional familiarity is overall conference cohesion. I'm happy with that trade.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36354 on: November 02, 2023, 12:07:49 PM »
Is it possible they have used a semi protected format for "secondary" rivalries?  Meaning we play ISU 3/4 years in these four year cycles.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36355 on: November 02, 2023, 12:12:32 PM »
Growing up in ks nobody gaf about playing isu, there is no rivalry.  We had more of a rivalry with cu by a considerable margin.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #36356 on: November 02, 2023, 12:35:02 PM »
Growing up in ks nobody gaf about playing isu, there is no rivalry.  We had more of a rivalry with cu by a considerable margin.
That was the old days, grandpa.  Nowadays there's a rivalry with ISU.

And guess what: there is a rivalry with ISU.  There wasn't 20 years ago, really, but there is now.  I understand why people are upset the game isn't going to be annual anymore, OTOH, under the circumstances, giving K-State two protected games seems a bit much given how few protected games there are otherwise.  Such is life in this dumb new world where WVU and UCF and Arizona are in the same conference as we are.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #36357 on: November 02, 2023, 12:37:45 PM »
Can we have protected non-rivals where we never play cinci or ucf?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 01:41:31 PM by star seed 7 »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36358 on: November 02, 2023, 12:52:29 PM »
Is it possible they have used a semi protected format for "secondary" rivalries?  Meaning we play ISU 3/4 years in these four year cycles.

Maybe, but the three out four games seem largely random a.f.

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1719785388070387991

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36359 on: November 02, 2023, 02:25:09 PM »
if i’m being honest, if it weren’t for the ridiculous ways in which they have found ways to lose games each year, I wouldn’t even know that we played iowa state

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36360 on: November 02, 2023, 05:07:38 PM »
It is really cool that we have the longest uninterrupted streak against Iowa St. But once that's snapped, no one will give a eff that we only play them 3 out of 4 seasons.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36361 on: November 02, 2023, 05:15:31 PM »
Being rivals with Iowa State is kind of embarrassing. Are we sure that's something we actually want?

Offline konofo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36362 on: November 02, 2023, 05:16:45 PM »

It's not random, it's primarily geographical.  That's why you see the clustering in that chart - going from upper-left to lower-right, the teams are arranged by region:  West, Plains, East, Texas.

But to make everything work, most teams are going to have one or two odd pairings.  Cincinnati might not be one of our closest neighbors, for example, but we're one of theirs.

There are certainly a couple of head-scratchers I can't defend, like how BYU/Colorado and UCF/Houston aren't 3/4 matchups, but BYU/UCF and Colorado/Houston are.

kono

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36363 on: November 02, 2023, 05:54:57 PM »
That was the old days, grandpa.  Nowadays there's a rivalry with ISU.

And guess what: there is a rivalry with ISU.  There wasn't 20 years ago, really, but there is now.  I understand why people are upset the game isn't going to be annual anymore, OTOH, under the circumstances, giving K-State two protected games seems a bit much given how few protected games there are otherwise.  Such is life in this dumb new world where WVU and UCF and Arizona are in the same conference as we are.

Hey dlewser, nobody who’s anybody gaf about playing isu.  Nobody!!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36364 on: November 03, 2023, 08:43:14 PM »

It's not random, it's primarily geographical.  That's why you see the clustering in that chart - going from upper-left to lower-right, the teams are arranged by region:  West, Plains, East, Texas.

But to make everything work, most teams are going to have one or two odd pairings.  Cincinnati might not be one of our closest neighbors, for example, but we're one of theirs.

There are certainly a couple of head-scratchers I can't defend, like how BYU/Colorado and UCF/Houston aren't 3/4 matchups, but BYU/UCF and Colorado/Houston are.

kono

Good breakdown

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #36365 on: November 03, 2023, 09:11:48 PM »
First, it’s fantastic that we are in one of the protected rivalries.  That’s to be cherished in this day and age.

Second, what great timing to try and make a multiple year run of good squads…Have to play some tougher matchups in this next 3 year rotation with KU, OSU, CU, and ISU all on the schedule each year.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36366 on: November 04, 2023, 10:21:50 PM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/judges-ruling-could-lead-to-billions-in-damages-as-worst-case-scenario-rears-head-for-ncaa/

What would happen if the NCAA lost a $4B judgment? Would they be able to keep their doors open?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36367 on: November 04, 2023, 11:39:25 PM »
Probably not, no, but the NCAA going away would definitely be bad news for most student athletes and college sports fans.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36368 on: November 05, 2023, 06:55:39 AM »
Probably not, no, but the NCAA going away would definitely be bad news for most student athletes and college sports fans.
yeah, none of the realignment, nor dissolution of the ncaa is being done for athletes or fans.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36369 on: November 05, 2023, 03:29:09 PM »
If the NCAA even hiccups, then the big 10, SEC, ACC, and Big 12 are going to prop up their basketball tournament so fast it will make our heads spin. Even if the viewership drops in half, keeping all that money for themselves will be too desirable for them to ignore.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36370 on: November 11, 2023, 09:29:58 PM »
I WANTED UT to suck THIS year and then become super good next year and absolutely own the SEC in dollars spent on players and in championships forever going forward. However, I am ok pulling this timeline forward a year if they do indeed move on to own the SEC.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36371 on: December 02, 2023, 12:21:08 PM »
how much is texas getting paid by the b12 versus what they will get from the sec?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36372 on: December 02, 2023, 12:33:58 PM »
how much is texas getting paid by the b12 versus what they will get from the sec?

Big 12 distributed 45M last year and SEC is projected to distribute at least 70M next year I think.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36373 on: December 02, 2023, 01:33:51 PM »
Oklahoma Football will be basically Mizzou in the SEC.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #36374 on: December 02, 2023, 01:43:58 PM »

Big 12 distributed 45M last year and SEC is projected to distribute at least 70M next year I think.

You forgot about the 15 million for the Longhorn network, which goes away when they are in the SEC.  Texas got 60 million and OU got 8 million for their third-tier rights for a total of 53 million.  Only the Hateful Eight got 45 million with some change from ESPN+.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.