Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4165994 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35600 on: July 28, 2023, 05:37:46 PM »
CU being the first team to jump ship shows that there is very little enthusiasm among pac12 schools to join the big 12

No crap. Of course they'd rather stay in their conference, is anyone claiming otherwise?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35601 on: July 28, 2023, 06:23:55 PM »
CU being the first team to jump ship shows that there is very little enthusiasm among pac12 schools to join the big 12

No crap. Of course they'd rather stay in their conference, is anyone claiming otherwise?

More like no one wants to be the one to officially push the Pac off the edge. It's teetering, the next is basically claiming it's dead
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35602 on: July 28, 2023, 07:23:35 PM »
This can't be confirmed, but some smoke is floating about Utah is getting nervous about Washington and Oregon's contact with Yormark and doesn't want to be left hanging.  Could we end up with Utah, Washington, and Oregon?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35603 on: July 28, 2023, 07:47:07 PM »
nope

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35604 on: July 28, 2023, 09:19:03 PM »
the utah fans i’ve come across on the internet, mostly on the X app, seem like a combination of iowa state, texas a&m, and ku fanbases.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35605 on: July 28, 2023, 09:50:07 PM »
Et tu, clams?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35606 on: July 28, 2023, 10:43:29 PM »
I would take the utes over at least half the current conference. The online behavior of fans is quite literally at the bottom of my give a eff list
Sorry guys, Star seed 7 gave me a mind eff and thought we wouldn't worry about their shitty fans and dream about their Holy Rivalry with BYU.  Big-time rivalry, big-time views, and big-time money.  Also, we should have no problem kicking their ass.  Kind of like Texas vs AtM, IIRC we had zero problems kicking their ass  We will have a blast giving them the Arkey- WVU hillbilly crap talk as we bait them to challenge our crap-slapping pro posting.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 10:54:07 PM by Katpappy »

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35607 on: July 28, 2023, 11:50:35 PM »
Brett McMurphy on 365 Sports said ESPN pro-rata will pay 20 million each for up to 4 P5 schools and Fox has agreed to pay 12 million for 2 P5 schools.  That's why Orgeron wants in ASAP, in case BY stops at 14.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35608 on: July 29, 2023, 12:07:51 AM »
Brett McMurphy on 365 Sports said ESPN pro-rata will pay 20 million each for up to 4 P5 schools and Fox has agreed to pay 12 million for 2 P5 schools.  That's why Orgeron wants in ASAP, in case BY stops at 14.

Explain this to me like I’m 12.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35609 on: July 29, 2023, 12:41:33 AM »
New tv deal is 32 mil per school.  ESPN pays 20.  Fox pays 12. 

In the contract, ESPN agrees to pay that same 20 mil to 4 additional P5 teams if we could get them.  Fox doesn’t have that in the contract but has verbally agreed to pay the same 12 mil for two more teams.

So teams 13 and 14 (CU and ?) are guaranteed the full 32 mil share.  Teams 15 and 16 guaranteed the 20 mil EPSN portion but not necessarily the 12 mil Fox portion.

IMO - this is why the order needs to be CU/AZ first.  Then Ore/Wash as 15/16 because fox is likely willing to pay for them.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35610 on: July 29, 2023, 03:28:47 AM »
welcome home, colorado.

if we're going big, i'd like utah, arizona and new mexico.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35611 on: July 29, 2023, 08:44:28 AM »
I would take the utes over at least half the current conference. The online behavior of fans is quite literally at the bottom of my give a eff list
Sorry guys, Star seed 7 gave me a mind eff and thought we wouldn't worry about their shitty fans and dream about their Holy Rivalry with BYU.  Big-time rivalry, big-time views, and big-time money.  Also, we should have no problem kicking their ass.  Kind of like Texas vs AtM, IIRC we had zero problems kicking their ass  We will have a blast giving them the Arkey- WVU hillbilly crap talk as we bait them to challenge our crap-slapping pro posting.

I wish random fans still dropped by the goEMAW dot com. I think the days of "Does playing XYZ Hurt our program" are over.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35612 on: July 29, 2023, 09:14:07 AM »
Why wouldn't we take the most valuable schools (including WA and OR) with the intention of backfilling with the "like-minded" schools (whoever that is) should the most valuable ones decide to pay a gigantic exit fee to leave? Presumably, the like-minded schools will still be there.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35613 on: July 29, 2023, 09:38:41 AM »

I wish random fans still dropped by the goEMAW dot com. I think the days of "Does playing XYZ Hurt our program" are over.
It’s all on the X app these days

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35614 on: July 29, 2023, 09:39:38 AM »
Why wouldn't we take the most valuable schools (including WA and OR) with the intention of backfilling with the "like-minded" schools (whoever that is) should the most valuable ones decide to pay a gigantic exit fee to leave? Presumably, the like-minded schools will still be there.
This is absolutely what they are trying to do.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35615 on: July 29, 2023, 10:43:36 AM »
If you're Oregon and Washington I think the calculus starts setting in . . . are we better positioned to win trophies of significance in the Big 12 or or in the BiG, I think if you're both schools you have to conclude the Big 12. 

Then begs the question, can we tighten the financial difference on the TV contract (Big 12 vs BiG) by being highly successful, constantly in the championship picture which in turns opens check books, sells tickets, sells premium seating, drives donations, increases exposure and thus drives sponsorship dollars etc. etc. 

Does a Fox come back to the table with more money for the Big 12 with a UW and OR and possibly an Arizona?

The NCAA B-ball tourney rebid is coming up.  If the unit system stays roughly the same, with assigned dollar value per unit potentially increasing the new Big 12 becomes a potential monster money machine in the NCAA tourney. 

On the same note, you literally put UCLA and USC on an island all by themselves.  Relegated into trying to get  partners in say a Stanford or Cal, who have great academic curb appeal, but not much athletic curb appeal.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #35616 on: July 29, 2023, 12:50:20 PM »
1. I used to hate the idea of "pods" but if we can go to 16 it really could work out very nicely to keep regional rivalries and keep playing all teams regular enough to not feel like you're in separate conferences altogether.

2. On the number of 16, even if pro rata is currently only good to 14, I believe both espn and fox will be happy to pay up for UW and UO. Also not sure 14 is just being thrown out there to create urgency.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35617 on: July 29, 2023, 01:26:42 PM »

In the contract, ESPN agrees to pay that same 20 mil to 4 additional P5 teams if we could get them.  Fox doesn’t have that in the contract but has verbally agreed to pay the same 12 mil for two more teams.

So teams 13 and 14 (CU and ?) are guaranteed the full 32 mil share.  Teams 15 and 16 guaranteed the 20 mil EPSN portion but not necessarily the 12 mil Fox portion.

IMO - this is why the order needs to be CU/AZ first.  Then Ore/Wash as 15/16 because fox is likely willing to pay for them.

Yeah, I'd bet a healthy amount of money that the "leak" about the pro rata to McMurphy was from the conference to try to force one of the big 3 in the Pac to act quickly to snatch up that perceived last spot with the $32 million rights fees. It's preposterous to think that Fox will pay the pro-rata for only one of those schools but not the other two.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35618 on: July 29, 2023, 01:57:35 PM »

Yeah, I'd bet a healthy amount of money that the "leak" about the pro rata to McMurphy was from the conference to try to force one of the big 3 in the Pac to act quickly to snatch up that perceived last spot with the $32 million rights fees. It's preposterous to think that Fox will pay the pro-rata for only one of those schools but not the other two.

Right? It's pretty transparent. If Zona moves, then there will be a leak that Fox would extend the pro rata guarantee, but only if it's UW and UO.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35619 on: July 29, 2023, 02:01:21 PM »
I could see stopping at 14 being a good idea. Gives us a chance to grab Miami when the ACC falls apart.

Offline OlatheWildcat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35620 on: July 29, 2023, 03:44:51 PM »
I could see stopping at 14 being a good idea. Gives us a chance to grab Miami when the ACC falls apart.

Miami is going big 10 whenever that is.
Follow me on Twitter @OlatheWildcat12

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35622 on: July 29, 2023, 10:53:45 PM »
You fool! I've read the entirety of the realignment thread on the Phog Gridiron Board!

That place is AIDS

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35623 on: July 30, 2023, 09:30:18 AM »
1. I used to hate the idea of "pods" but if we can go to 16 it really could work out very nicely to keep regional rivalries and keep playing all teams regular enough to not feel like you're in separate conferences altogether.

KU, K-State, OSU, & CU would be dreamy

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35624 on: July 30, 2023, 10:17:08 AM »

KU, K-State, OSU, & CU would be dreamy

Why do you hate Farmageddon?