Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4137142 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35550 on: July 28, 2023, 01:12:56 PM »
Like you have to go to and back from Oregon to WVU on a weekday  :sdeek:

Which is why UCONN makes zero sense to me.  Who cares that they have decent bball?  Same with Gonzaga. :'bye cruel world:

At least the Big 12 is *mostly* in the middle of the country. TBT's concerns would have more weight if Oregon and Washington weren't openly lifting their skirts for an invite to the big 10. Geography doesn't matter anymore. I will concede that a flight from Seattle to Orlando would be a bitch.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35551 on: July 28, 2023, 01:29:43 PM »
If the conference goes to 16, I don't think athletes would be flying from Seattle to Orlando more than once in their entire college careers.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35552 on: July 28, 2023, 01:36:53 PM »
I actually do not want Oregon.

Explain, of all the ones there, that is like the white whale

So, it's already been covered but since you quoted me I'll give my answer as well. The Big XII has the opportunity to really solidify the conference and comprise itself with a bunch of like minded, like sized schools that will bring stability for the long term. We don't want another Texas or OU at the table causing problems for everyone else. Grab the two Arizona schools and Utah and be done with it.

Now, if we could work out a deal where we could drop UCF and WVU to the ACC, kick Baylor out for being disgusting, and then pick up Oregon, Washington, and Washington State, well I'm not going to balk too much at that. But honestly, I think we'd be best with just AU, ASU, and UU.

Anyone talking about UCONN should be pistol whipped.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35553 on: July 28, 2023, 01:45:33 PM »
Purp, I don't get you, man. Utah doesn't want to come. ASU would be redundant. And Wazzu, really? I'd rather have UCONN's basketball programs and market. And no one is getting kicked out, no matter how much we despise them. Plus, UCF is a better long-term play than UH.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35554 on: July 28, 2023, 01:45:56 PM »
I'm fine with Uconn. gets some major media markets in the NE and we'd have another bball blue blood. If bball becomes uncoupled from fball at some point and ncaa tourney revenue actually gets distributed in the future they'd be almost on par with mich/penn state

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35555 on: July 28, 2023, 01:48:19 PM »
Purp, I don't get you, man. Utah doesn't want to come. ASU would be redundant. And Wazzu, really? I'd rather have UCONN's basketball programs and market. And no one is getting kicked out, no matter how much we despise them. Plus, UCF is a better long-term play than UH.

yeah I don't want Utah. they've made it pretty clear they think they're above us. Wazzu is basically KSU/ISU/OSU with more financial problems, a smaller fan base, and less success.

UCF is good for FL recruiting, and maybe picking up a leftover florida ACC school in a few years.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35556 on: July 28, 2023, 01:48:59 PM »
i wonder how much nike is influencing oregon’s decision

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35557 on: July 28, 2023, 01:50:52 PM »

I'd imagine Phil/the Knight family has considerable sway over oregon's decisions. If he wants to stay w West Coast teams, they're gonna stay.

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35558 on: July 28, 2023, 01:51:28 PM »
Someone should ask Nubs if  they'd like to come back too. If Oregon and Washington go to the big 10 after the Pac collapses, then they'll almost assuredly be put in the same division as Nubs and USC. Big red will never be able to climb out of that hole since they can't do it against the powerhouses of Northwestern, Purdue, and Minnesota right now.

Just a thought.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35559 on: July 28, 2023, 01:52:50 PM »
Like this seems great for the conference but I still don't like any of this nonsense

Rusty, go to Central Park and play; this thread is for real KSU football fans. :)
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35560 on: July 28, 2023, 01:54:21 PM »
Someone should ask Nubs if  they'd like to come back too. If Oregon and Washington go to the big 10 after the Pac collapses, then they'll almost assuredly be put in the same division as Nubs and USC. Big red will never be able to climb out of that hole since they can't do it against the powerhouses of Northwestern, Purdue, and Minnesota right now.

Just a thought.

Someone should ask Nebraska if they'd be willing to accept half the pay for a more difficult job?

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35561 on: July 28, 2023, 01:57:58 PM »

Go jump into a lake and wash that fishy women's smell.   :rolleyes:

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35562 on: July 28, 2023, 01:58:40 PM »
I don't believe the 14 teams hype for Big 12.  I think those rumors are flying to add pressure and FOMO to remaining 9.  Sounds like it might be working on Oregon, and I fully support Oregon coming over. 

As I mentioned before, I think big 10 is waiting for Notre Dame and ACC schools.  I don't think Oregon and Washinton are in their top 2, maybe not even their top 4 choices for expansion.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35563 on: July 28, 2023, 02:01:45 PM »

Because Oregon and Washington are the only pac schools that might get a BIG invite and they would leave us in a second if that happened. Best to gather up the best of the unwanted and have unity knowing we are all in the same boat.

You do know that they will be required to sign a non-exit clause of 99 yrs.  The exit fee you say, oh, it's just 80 million.  ;)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35564 on: July 28, 2023, 02:03:55 PM »

Pretty sure I saw that Yormark has met with Knight twice.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35565 on: July 28, 2023, 02:08:08 PM »

Getting Oregon and Washington takes this conference from a conference of decent teams to a conference that is top to bottom better than the BIG. The BIG may be a bit better at the top with Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State, but this removes a LOT of that advantage.

I think it would put us slightly below the big 10 and SEC, but clearly above the ACC and PAC(if they are still a P5).

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35566 on: July 28, 2023, 02:08:34 PM »
I'm not a very smart person, but PurpleOil has had some absolutely wild takes in the last 2 pages.

No to Oregon, WSU over UCONN, and Nebraska should give up 40+ mil/year to come back to the big 12.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #35567 on: July 28, 2023, 02:09:28 PM »
Big 12 is the Nike Conference.

SEC is Under Armor
BIG is Adidas

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35568 on: July 28, 2023, 02:12:24 PM »
Should we kill the ACC, too? Perhaps when we get closer to the expiration of their GOR.

Talking heads are saying the ACC will dissolve, so conference suicide?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35569 on: July 28, 2023, 02:15:48 PM »
Like this seems great for the conference but I still don't like any of this nonsense

QFMFT

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35570 on: July 28, 2023, 02:18:37 PM »
If the conference goes to 16, I don't think athletes would be flying from Seattle to Orlando more than once in their entire college careers.

Yes, with eighteen teams we could have 3 pods of six.  Would reduce travel and keep most of the games regional.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35571 on: July 28, 2023, 02:23:16 PM »
I couldn't imagine being an athlete and the travel schedule you would have to have being that far west. Would suck major ass IMO

Look at this year's volleyball schedule for an indication as to how they are going to handle travel. I don't love it, but it definitely helps the student athletes with the amount they are on the road.
https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35572 on: July 28, 2023, 02:24:14 PM »

It makes this thread more enjoyable with common sense posters like Spracne ITT.  :cheers:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35573 on: July 28, 2023, 02:24:44 PM »

yep

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35574 on: July 28, 2023, 02:32:04 PM »
It’s definitely a fair point that if we’re going to have an Oregon/Washington and a UCF/West Virginia, then we might as well fill up to enough schools to where we could have most games limited to specific regions/divisions instead of everyone playing everyone and traveling all over.

For the same reason, though, adding schools really waters down the bball product. Having home & aways with every conference opponent is great.