Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4138309 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35575 on: July 28, 2023, 02:32:43 PM »

I couldn't imagine being an athlete and the travel schedule you would have to have being that far west. Would suck major ass IMO

Look at this year's volleyball schedule for an indication as to how they are going to handle travel. I don't love it, but it definitely helps the student athletes with the amount they are on the road.
https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/womens-volleyball/schedule

I follow women's water polo really closely and it isn't uncommon for teams to play 5 games in 3 days on a weekend. They either go to an east coast school and play one road game and a few neutral games against other teams that come into town. Or in Southern California they can play a few road games close together along with some neutrals sprinkled in. Obviously wouldn't work for every sport but seems like it could for volleyball

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #35576 on: July 28, 2023, 02:33:34 PM »
If the conference goes to 16, I don't think athletes would be flying from Seattle to Orlando more than once in their entire college careers.
It’s definitely a fair point that if we’re going to have an Oregon/Washington and a UCF/West Virginia, then we might as well fill up to enough schools to where we could have most games limited to specific regions/divisions instead of everyone playing everyone and traveling all over.

For the same reason, though, adding schools really waters down the bball product. Having home & aways with every conference opponent is great.

You mean *was great, because that's not happening anymore.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35577 on: July 28, 2023, 02:35:04 PM »
Yeah. I mean it’s a great thing to be able to do.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35578 on: July 28, 2023, 02:38:18 PM »
This uneven scheduling is exactly what KU needs to get back to the Orange Bowl ...

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35579 on: July 28, 2023, 02:45:16 PM »
This uneven scheduling is exactly what KU needs to get back to the Orange Bowl ...

If KU had the influence that Texas had, they could arrange the schedule just for that purpose.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35580 on: July 28, 2023, 02:47:41 PM »
Purp, I don't get you, man. Utah doesn't want to come. ASU would be redundant. And Wazzu, really? I'd rather have UCONN's basketball programs and market. And no one is getting kicked out, no matter how much we despise them. Plus, UCF is a better long-term play than UH.

I think UCONN being good at bball isn't enough for me plain and simple.  That can change quickly as we all know and then we have them for the long haul.  And if they're such a blue blood why didn't the ACC wolf them up long ago?  You add in the distance and the possibility of losing a bball tourney to the East Coast and then that would blow as well.  I haven't mentioned who I'd like from the PAC 12 but I would take any that you have mentioned in a heart beat over UCONN.  And do you think Colorado really wanted to come?  Please. 
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35581 on: July 28, 2023, 03:00:56 PM »
Purp, I don't get you, man. Utah doesn't want to come. ASU would be redundant. And Wazzu, really? I'd rather have UCONN's basketball programs and market. And no one is getting kicked out, no matter how much we despise them. Plus, UCF is a better long-term play than UH.

I think UCONN being good at bball isn't enough for me plain and simple.  That can change quickly as we all know and then we have them for the long haul.  And if they're such a blue blood why didn't the ACC wolf them up long ago?  You add in the distance and the possibility of losing a bball tourney to the East Coast and then that would blow as well.  I haven't mentioned who I'd like from the PAC 12 but I would take any that you have mentioned in a heart beat over UCONN.  And do you think Colorado really wanted to come?  Please.

Well they came, didn't they? The play here is Zona, then see if we can get UW and UO. Cal, Stanford, and Utah (stupidly) won't come. I don't want OSU or WSU. And I don't want ASU if we get UA. UCONN is a better value bet than any of OSU, WSU, or ASU, in my humble but quite erudite opinion.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35582 on: July 28, 2023, 03:02:59 PM »
If Yormark can pull off Colorado, Arizona, Washington, and Oregon, that is a helluva coup of flagship universities. It strengthens us both athletically and academically.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35583 on: July 28, 2023, 03:04:05 PM »
Big Pac would have been great.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35584 on: July 28, 2023, 03:07:43 PM »

Well they came, didn't they? The play here is Zona, then see if we can get UW and UO. Cal, Stanford, and Utah (stupidly) won't come. I don't want OSU or WSU. And I don't want ASU if we get UA. UCONN is a better value bet than any of OSU, WSU, or ASU, in my humble but quite erudite opinion.

I'd agree with that although I'm not quite sure your knowledge on the matter is special?
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35585 on: July 28, 2023, 03:09:17 PM »
You fool! I've read the entirety of the realignment thread on the Phog Gridiron Board!

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35586 on: July 28, 2023, 03:27:43 PM »

Yesterday, 30K yes votes from alumni would disagree.  :rolleyes:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35587 on: July 28, 2023, 03:29:13 PM »
If Yormark can pull off Colorado, Arizona, Washington, and Oregon, that is a helluva coup of flagship universities. It strengthens us both athletically and academically.

YES!  :thumbs:

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35588 on: July 28, 2023, 03:35:28 PM »

How many yes votes will you get from the remaining PAC 12 schools if they get a shitty tv deal?  :jerk:

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #35589 on: July 28, 2023, 03:58:17 PM »
History awaits!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35590 on: July 28, 2023, 04:00:23 PM »

How many yes votes will you get from the remaining PAC 12 schools if they get a shitty tv deal?  :jerk:

I watched a couple of PAC podcasts and several Buff podcasts, and everyone was very happy CU joined the Big XII.   :Think:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35592 on: July 28, 2023, 04:21:06 PM »

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35593 on: July 28, 2023, 04:26:06 PM »
CU being the first team to jump ship shows that there is very little enthusiasm among pac12 schools to join the big 12

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35594 on: July 28, 2023, 04:35:05 PM »
CU being the first team to jump ship shows that there is very little enthusiasm among pac12 schools to join the big 12
It’s not very surprising though. The revenue sports apathy among a large chunk of those schools is exactly why the Pac12 is struggling to get a media deal. And if they’re not super excited about football or basketball then why care (from a typical student/alumnus perspective) whether you’re in the Big 12 or Big Sky?

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35595 on: July 28, 2023, 04:51:50 PM »
History awaits!

It worked once before when KU was likely the 4th best team in the conference.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35596 on: July 28, 2023, 04:53:16 PM »
It’s not very surprising though. The revenue sports apathy among a large chunk of those schools is exactly why the Pac12 is struggling to get a media deal. And if they’re not super excited about football or basketball then why care (from a typical student/alumnus perspective) whether you’re in the Big 12 or Big Sky?

It's UA, then UW/UO. They care about sports. Stanford is a weird outlier in that they field probably the most Olympic sports of any University and routinely pump out Olympians in those sports that don't attract a lot of eyeballs. They are committed to it. And they can afford to do whatever they want.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35597 on: July 28, 2023, 04:54:52 PM »

It's UA, then UW/UO. They care about sports. Stanford is a weird outlier in that they field probably the most Olympic sports of any University and routinely pump out Olympians in those sports that don't attract a lot of eyeballs. They are committed to it. And they can afford to do whatever they want.

If they want to join us, they are AU, WU, and OU. They need to be all in or not in at all.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35598 on: July 28, 2023, 04:56:04 PM »
I think the point of all of this is that there is very little enthusiasm amongst the PAC for anything.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35599 on: July 28, 2023, 05:28:11 PM »
I actually do not want Oregon.
I'm not saying this applies to Oregon, but there is/was definitely a birthright entitlement attitude POV infecting the PAC.  Kliavkoff is as much the symptom as the disease.  We just rid ourselves of Texas, we don't need that back.

I'm on board with this.  We're becoming a conference of peers (more or less), and Oregon definitely does not see us that way.  They'd have a foot out the door before they even arrive.  I think Yormark's comment about wanting teams that want to be here was aimed squarely at them (and possibly Utah).

kono

To be sure, I'm not against UO/UW - I'm just saying the meeting of the minds better and organizational expectations better be perfectly clear.  Stanford/Cal are clearly hard passes, not that they would ever in any lifetime consider any other affiliation other than the OldPAC.  Stanford maybe makes it to the big 10 provided it's a condition/enticement for ND.