Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4066492 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35000 on: February 25, 2023, 10:06:45 PM »
It is critical that we land in the same conference as uw. Their tailgating is great but easily dominated by opposing fans organized in paks.

We closer to this happening?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35001 on: February 25, 2023, 10:13:09 PM »
I definitely think there will be two conferences in the highest level of college football someday.

How does this differ than now?

There only one right now.

:confused: the one that makes the most money or the one with the two national championship candidates?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35002 on: February 25, 2023, 10:21:19 PM »
I definitely think there will be two conferences in the highest level of college football someday.

Interested to see if the big brands in the SEC and Big10 decide they are deserving of larger shares than the smaller brands.  Would there be any fallout from that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No and that's ultimately where we're headed, unequal revenue sharing even within conferences. If the sport is willing to leave whole conferences and literally 1/3 of the Continental United States behind, I have no idea why Mississippi State, Vandy, Northweestern, and Indiana can feel so secure.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35003 on: February 25, 2023, 10:27:06 PM »

Eventually I think they'll run out of patience for providing college football access to other conferences.  Why wouldn't they just close it off and have it be for themselves only?

Because then very few people will care and college football will go the way of NASCAR.

Agree with my known fellow like thinker, justwin. However, you'd think that college football wouldn't make a niche sport even more niche, but you never know, wouldn't be the first time greed ruined something great.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #35004 on: February 26, 2023, 09:23:44 AM »

Eventually I think they'll run out of patience for providing college football access to other conferences.  Why wouldn't they just close it off and have it be for themselves only?

Because then very few people will care and college football will go the way of NASCAR.

Agree with my known fellow like thinker, justwin. However, you'd think that college football wouldn't make a niche sport even more niche, but you never know, wouldn't be the first time greed ruined something great.
The greed thing is my biggest fear on this.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35005 on: February 26, 2023, 09:41:42 AM »

Interested to see if the big brands in the SEC and Big10 decide they are deserving of larger shares than the smaller brands.  Would there be any fallout from that?

No and that's ultimately where we're headed, unequal revenue sharing even within conferences. If the sport is willing to leave whole conferences and literally 1/3 of the Continental United States behind, I have no idea why Mississippi State, Vandy, Northweestern, and Indiana can feel so secure.
Completely agree. 

What happens if the Big 10 out paces the SEC in revenue…if the likes of Rutgers are making more than Alabama and Texas? Can’t have that, now can we.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35006 on: February 26, 2023, 11:57:03 AM »

I think of NFL owners as generally being a group of people that are greedy. At the very least, they like money. But they have figured out the recipe for having an incredibly successful sports league that produces an insane amount of money and all other sports leagues (college and professional) seem to ignore it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35007 on: February 26, 2023, 12:14:27 PM »
The weird thing about college football is that it's much more difficult to see who directly benefits from the increasingly insane tv money. It's like these decisions are made to get bigger purely for the sake of getting bigger. As if that is its own justification.

And you get a guy like Kevin Warren, who comes in and in like one year completely wrecks the PAC, radically alters the Big Ten whether anyone in the Big 10 wants it or not, and then immediately dips. Like, WHY???

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #35008 on: February 26, 2023, 01:01:33 PM »
The weird thing about college football is that it's much more difficult to see who directly benefits from the increasingly insane tv money. It's like these decisions are made to get bigger purely for the sake of getting bigger. As if that is its own justification.

And you get a guy like Kevin Warren, who comes in and in like one year completely wrecks the PAC, radically alters the Big Ten whether anyone in the Big 10 wants it or not, and then immediately dips. Like, WHY???
I think the university presidents are also behind this hellscape.  Because from my interpretation, a lot of this money goes to the university, not the actual athletic funds.

*i could just be blowing smoke as well

it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35009 on: February 26, 2023, 01:08:22 PM »

I think of NFL owners as generally being a group of people that are greedy. At the very least, they like money. But they have figured out the recipe for having an incredibly successful sports league that produces an insane amount of money and all other sports leagues (college and professional) seem to ignore it.

Those owners all have a common goal and that's to make the most amount of money for their league and teams as possible, it's why they were able to bully Cincinnati into selling the naming rights to their stadium. There's no unity behind a common goal in college football.

Ironically, I think the only thing that can save college football now is for the cfp to take over the sport, separate from the NCAA and other sports which will eliminate university presidents, and appoint a commissioner.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35010 on: February 26, 2023, 01:09:33 PM »

It was reported that one of the reasons he left is that there's no support among the university presidents for more expansion.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35011 on: February 26, 2023, 01:40:39 PM »

It was reported that one of the reasons he left is that there's no support among the university presidents for more expansion.

That whole thing was so weird. The oral history on Kevin Warren in 10 years is going to be good. NFL guy that got the Vikings a new stadium, came in & did his job in getting a massive TV contract, then went straight back to the NFL to get the Bears a new stadium. Also worked to pause a 12 team playoff to push for NFL style TV bidding as opposed to just re-upping with ESPN. Worked a stealth deal with USC/UCLA to where a lot of conference members didn’t even know about it 48 hours before. Also some schools didn’t like how he handled Covid.

There’s also reports some conference members just didn’t want to be the ones that killed off the PAC immediately, but may be happy if the PAC dies in its own then they get some schools.

Warren got stuff done for the best of the conference, but it feels like to me he viewed his job as working for the conference over the schools & not that he worked for the schools. I think some UPs were just tired of him & when he immediately proposed to kill PAC after taking USC/UCLA in stealth they decided they didn’t like being treated that way & just said no. It’s like that was their way of taking control back.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35012 on: February 26, 2023, 03:23:51 PM »

i think ESPN has a goal to turn the SEC into the EPL, a league built on geographical based tradition that is exported to the world and fandom is no longer limited geography. 

Only the SEC has a contiguous footprint where all the important rivalries are intact, only Missouri is an outlier vs the East & West coast schools in the big10.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35013 on: February 26, 2023, 04:06:00 PM »
i think ESPN has a goal to turn the SEC into the EPL, a league built on geographical based tradition that is exported to the world and fandom is no longer limited geography. 

Only the SEC has a contiguous footprint where all the important rivalries are intact, only Missouri is an outlier vs the East & West coast schools in the big10.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if that is true, that is a dumb idea by ESPN. The EPL has a global fan base because it is the best league in the world. Nobody will care about the SEC even in the US outside of SEC states if it is the only top college football conference left. More and more people will just watch the NFL, which is a much more watchable product than college football.

As I alluded to earlier, the NFL makes tons of money because everyone has a legitimate chance to be champion and it doesn't take long to go from worst to contender (e.g. Cincinnati and Jacksonville). This is possible due to widespread revenue sharing and limits on talent accumulation. Also, the NFL's plan is to get larger and larger and have more and more teams. The current path college football is on is to get smaller and smaller and have fewer and fewer teams; the exact opposite of the NFL!

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35014 on: February 26, 2023, 04:22:39 PM »
Communism  :cheers:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #35015 on: February 26, 2023, 04:27:44 PM »

Those owners all have a common goal and that's to make the most amount of money for their league and teams as possible, it's why they were able to bully Cincinnati into selling the naming rights to their stadium. There's no unity behind a common goal in college football.

Ironically, I think the only thing that can save college football now is for the cfp to take over the sport, separate from the NCAA and other sports which will eliminate university presidents, and appoint a commissioner.

Interesting take.

We all agree that Kirk Schulz is going to be the first commissioner of the new CFP CFB conference right?  :love:

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35016 on: February 26, 2023, 04:31:48 PM »
Communism  :cheers:

It's communism with a minimum required effort. NFL teams have a minimum amount they have to spend on salaries, so an owner can't just have a $50 million payroll and pocket the rest. Nearly every team is at or very close to its salary cap number.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35017 on: February 27, 2023, 12:58:43 AM »

Interesting take.

We all agree that Kirk Schulz is going to be the first commissioner of the new CFP CFB conference right?  :love:

I'd be very shocked if they picked a university president, particularly a liberal if we're being honest. I think someone like Oliver Luck makes sense, maybe a media person. The conference commissioners would fall all over themselves for it given it's a position that would reduce their power.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35018 on: March 01, 2023, 07:24:39 AM »
The echo chamber of folks repeating other folks repeating other folks is really cranking on Washington and Oregon right now.  Several instances of people suggesting that they'll get a partial share from the big 10 once the PAC media deal is finalized and a new big 10 conference commissioner is in place.

Offline WildcatNation

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35019 on: March 01, 2023, 12:58:52 PM »
The echo chamber of folks repeating other folks repeating other folks is really cranking on Washington and Oregon right now.  Several instances of people suggesting that they'll get a partial share from the big 10 once the PAC media deal is finalized and a new big 10 conference commissioner is in place.
This sport is becoming so dumb

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35020 on: March 01, 2023, 01:36:53 PM »
I think that CFB needs to be brought back under the full umbrella of the NCAA and a pragmatic and effective CFB czar appointed.

At the D1 level, create a major conference playoff system, and a G5 playoff system.  Reduce the season by one game, sit down with media entities to crate a series of glorious college football playoff weekends, that have Major and G5 playoffs spanning a Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday opening round.  Work with the NFL on Sunday, more room to work with them if they go to 18 regular season games with 2 byes.

Ultimately crown 2 champions, the major conference national champion and the G5 (or whatever it's called national champion).   Schools like NDSU, SoDakSt, JMU and a handful more up to the G5 tier.  Work to provide the G5 with lucrative TV deals, and sell the entire playoff package to garner a mega TV deal for that part of the season.

National Championship culminates on a Saturday with back to back games for each tier.

CFB Czar gets schools at the G5 level to embrace a tier level national championship as something to be massively proud of . . .

Never gonna happen.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35021 on: March 01, 2023, 03:36:02 PM »

I wonder how the people, who are parroting this, square this with the report that there is no interest from the Big 10 presidents for further expansion?

Actual legitimate, credible reporters have gone on the record reporting this, I'd tend to believe these reports from John Ourand and Andrew Marchand than scuttlebutt from otherwise who don't have sources and credibility to maintain.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35022 on: March 01, 2023, 06:52:42 PM »
I think that CFB needs to be brought back under the full umbrella of the NCAA and a pragmatic and effective CFB czar appointed.

At the D1 level, create a major conference playoff system, and a G5 playoff system.  Reduce the season by one game, sit down with media entities to crate a series of glorious college football playoff weekends, that have Major and G5 playoffs spanning a Thursday-Friday-Saturday-Sunday opening round.  Work with the NFL on Sunday, more room to work with them if they go to 18 regular season games with 2 byes.

Ultimately crown 2 champions, the major conference national champion and the G5 (or whatever it's called national champion).   Schools like NDSU, SoDakSt, JMU and a handful more up to the G5 tier.  Work to provide the G5 with lucrative TV deals, and sell the entire playoff package to garner a mega TV deal for that part of the season.

National Championship culminates on a Saturday with back to back games for each tier.

CFB Czar gets schools at the G5 level to embrace a tier level national championship as something to be massively proud of . . .

Never gonna happen.   

i’d favor this over the current situation as they’re not capable of overseeing themselves.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35023 on: March 03, 2023, 01:21:41 AM »
Guys, things aren't looking good for PAC 12.  Security cameras and hidden mics in secret media deal.  FIRST TO BREAK THE HORRIBLE NEWS!!!

George Kliavkoff over PAC 12 media deal.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35024 on: March 03, 2023, 04:10:47 PM »
Guys, things aren't looking good for PAC 12.  Security cameras and hidden mics in secret media deal.  FIRST TO BREAK THE HORRIBLE NEWS!!!

George Kliavkoff over PAC 12 media deal.

I’m going to take this opportunity to tell everyone to watch this movie. It’s very good.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls