Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 3979669 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #34675 on: November 06, 2022, 09:15:32 PM »
Fire this thing up in 4 or 5 years when then big 10 deals the Pac 12 the final blow. No one is moving until then.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34676 on: November 07, 2022, 08:11:04 AM »
Boulder was cool 25 years ago, now it's just all corporate
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DreamWeaver69

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #34677 on: November 07, 2022, 08:17:02 AM »
Counterpoint: it makes geographic sense, and Boulder is a really cool spot. It's also another easy win in both revenue sports.
We get it. You like drugs.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34678 on: November 10, 2022, 01:30:04 PM »
https://awfulannouncing.com/college-football/conference-usa-media-rights-mimic-mac.html
FWIW, C*USA new media deal trying to get in on the MACtion

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34679 on: November 10, 2022, 03:34:26 PM »
https://awfulannouncing.com/college-football/conference-usa-media-rights-mimic-mac.html
FWIW, C*USA new media deal trying to get in on the MACtion

https://twitter.com/rltsports/status/1590732785991712768?s=20&t=3T_hzPz9WpBKuM7hj-HOZw

Looks like this almost doubles their media payouts per year but I really had no idea they were getting less than a million per year.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34680 on: November 10, 2022, 06:07:57 PM »
I read about a year ago the AAC was getting around 6 million per school.  Not sure if that has changed since they lost their 3 top teams to the Big XII.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34681 on: November 22, 2022, 02:59:30 PM »
Serious crap talk coming from Denis Dodd about the big 10 grabbing UW and UO, if Cal. tries to stop UCLA from joining.  Due to big 10 having a commitment to networks that includes UCLA.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34682 on: November 22, 2022, 03:06:01 PM »
Long term, that's a risk that Cal should be willing to take. If UCLA gets left behind, it's possible Cal and UCLA find a landing spot somewhere. No way Cal gets a landing spot anywhere without UCLA. I just doubt Cal really has the power to stop the move, anyway.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34683 on: November 22, 2022, 05:51:27 PM »
https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1595061217579610112

Not saying that the Big 10 wouldn't do this, but this is clearly a strong arm tactic to the California Board of Regents.

I'm not sure why Big 12 fans care anymore. Having a conference school in Tucson would be good for me personally every 6 years or so we'll play there but otherwise I really don't want further expansion. I've said all along college sports is better with the Pac 12 staying in tact and bringing some MW and/or AAC teams in the fold.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34684 on: November 22, 2022, 08:22:33 PM »
I feel the same way, but I don't think Yarmark feels that way.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34685 on: November 22, 2022, 10:16:23 PM »
It doesn't matter, the money the Pac 12 will get from their media deal will be good enough to incentivize them to stay.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34686 on: November 22, 2022, 10:25:46 PM »
I just wish we ended up less houston-y and more Arizona-y. End of the the day, everyone fighting to stay alive it probably for the better

Related, I do wonder how the new playoff format changes the ultimate dynamic of college sports. Having auto bids and a good amount of at larges I think starts to skew things a bit to being smaller rather than big, cause just from a pure odds game NuNuBig 12 has a good chance for both the champ and runner up, and 1/6 is good damn odds of making a playoff vs way less than that under the current format
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34687 on: November 22, 2022, 10:41:40 PM »
I just wish we ended up less houston-y and more Arizona-y. End of the the day, everyone fighting to stay alive it probably for the better

Related, I do wonder how the new playoff format changes the ultimate dynamic of college sports. Having auto bids and a good amount of at larges I think starts to skew things a bit to being smaller rather than big, cause just from a pure odds game NuNuBig 12 has a good chance for both the champ and runner up, and 1/6 is good damn odds of making a playoff vs way less than that under the current format
I don’t think the Big 12 will regularly get at-large bids in the new expanded playoffs, but having the Big 12 champion almost guaranteed to go is fantastic.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #34688 on: November 22, 2022, 10:45:10 PM »
If you are a coach and your goal is to coach in the playoffs, then your best shot at that might be at TCU, Baylor, OSU, KSU and BYU.  Hell UCF and Houston both could be an easier path to coaching in the Playoffs than the Auburn job, or even the Florida job.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34689 on: November 22, 2022, 10:48:05 PM »
I wonder Gus Malzone thinks it easier to win the Big 12 at UCF or be top 2 - 4 in the SEC at Auburn?

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34690 on: November 26, 2022, 08:31:22 AM »

From a realignment standpoint, I don't think we will know until they decide on a new CFP revenue distribution model.  Today each Power 5 conference gets a base of ~74 million plus a small bonus $6 million for each team making the playoff.  There is talk that the new model will go to something more like the March Madness model where more of the revenue is tied to who participated in the games.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34691 on: November 26, 2022, 08:53:29 AM »

I don’t think the Big 12 will regularly get at-large bids in the new expanded playoffs, but having the Big 12 champion almost guaranteed to go is fantastic.

If you use the CFP ranking I think this is what you would get

2014: 3 teams - TCU, Baylor, KSU
2015: 2 teams -  OU, TCU
2016: 1 team - OU
2017: 1 team - OU
2018: 1 team - OU
2019: 2 teams -  OU, Baylor
2020: 2 teams - OU, ISU
2021: 2 teams -  OSU, Baylor

So 5 out of 8 years we would have had at least 2 bids with the league still having a chance to have two teams qualify this year. So unless you think the CFP is going to start downgrading the Big 12 without OU and UT then we should have 2 teams in more often than not.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34692 on: November 26, 2022, 08:58:28 AM »
I do think they will start down grading the Big 12 a bit, but I'm not too concerned about it. 

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34693 on: November 26, 2022, 10:44:51 PM »
They announced Tuesday that the CFP will pay each team in the P5 conferences an equal amount of pay.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34694 on: November 27, 2022, 08:30:08 AM »
They announced Tuesday that the CFP will pay each team in the P5 conferences an equal amount of pay.

Wasn't that for just the next 2 years (i.e. remainder of the current contract)?  I thought they were still working on that part for the new contract period when the real money should start flowing in.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #34695 on: November 28, 2022, 01:44:43 AM »

Wasn't that for just the next 2 years (i.e. remainder of the current contract)?  I thought they were still working on that part for the new contract period when the real money should start flowing in.

The way it was presented the committee is coming up with the NEW CFP rules and procedures.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34697 on: November 29, 2022, 08:43:44 PM »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34698 on: November 29, 2022, 08:58:59 PM »
It will be fine, they will fall in. The conferences won't turn down that much money and the Rose Bowl needs the conferences. They'll end up with a permanent semifinal and they'll get assurances that they'll get their preferred kick time, on years that the schedule allows that to happen.

I want K-State in the Rose Bowl before I die more than I want a national championship, absolute bucket list item.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34699 on: November 29, 2022, 10:28:34 PM »
It will be fine, they will fall in. The conferences won't turn down that much money and the Rose Bowl needs the conferences. They'll end up with a permanent semifinal and they'll get assurances that they'll get their preferred kick time, on years that the schedule allows that to happen.

I want K-State in the Rose Bowl before I die more than I want a national championship, absolute bucket list item.

I assume you are talking about the katz playing in the Rose Bowl bowl game because you could of gone to the UCLA game in 2010. I went and it was very MEH.

The background ambiance around the stadium is nice and its picturesque but the actual stadium felt like a giant high school stadium especially with only 40k people in a 90k stadium.

I think its ridiculous to want K-State in the "Rose Bowl" over a Natty. Do you just really like parades or something?