Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4068777 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #33125 on: April 28, 2022, 01:52:14 PM »
11 game round robin, 1 non con

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #33126 on: April 28, 2022, 03:23:33 PM »

This would be so amazingly great.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #33127 on: April 28, 2022, 04:17:12 PM »
Other conferences would copy the crap out of this model.  The big 10 already wants to play the two best teams as the Big XII does.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33128 on: April 29, 2022, 11:54:42 AM »
My very unpopular opinion is if we’re going to stay at 12 after OU & UT leave, then I want divisions. I don’t want the 2nd team in a CCG to be between 2 8-1 teams that never played each other & some convoluted tiebreaker deciding who gets to play.

I agree, I hope the b12 goes back to divisions. has the potential to add some excitement to the season, just win a few key games and you have a great chance to be in the CCG

Yeah, I used to want this too but I think it's going to be better for the league to be 1 vs 2. I think if we went to divisions it would be very ACC/AAC'y. I don't think there will ever been a dominant team in this conference, certainly not two. Making the CCG shouldn't be some impossible uphill climb, all the schools are actually peers. I don't want to see multiple years of four loss teams in a CCG.

I get not wanting a 4-loss team making the CCG too. I just have no idea how you write tie-breakers for who goes the CCG if the teams never played each other. I have no idea how you tie-break 2 teams that went 8-1, both lost to the 9-0 team that finished first & went 8-0 against everyone else in conference. I don’t want it to be committee or poll based. I don’t want a team getting rewarded for going 3-0 in OOC playing Rutgers & being 11-1 ending the season ranked #8 while the other team is 10-2 because they went 2-1 in OCC playing a premier P5 and end the season ranked #10.

valid points
should just tie it to CFP ranking if the angle is "we want to maximize CFP chances."  hell, just have the top two CFP ranked teams play regardless of conference record. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33129 on: April 29, 2022, 12:25:18 PM »

This would be so amazingly great.

Yeah, and that one non-con is a neutral field “classic” against some traditional rival or other team from a “big name” conference.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33130 on: April 29, 2022, 05:15:53 PM »
My very unpopular opinion is if we’re going to stay at 12 after OU & UT leave, then I want divisions. I don’t want the 2nd team in a CCG to be between 2 8-1 teams that never played each other & some convoluted tiebreaker deciding who gets to play.

I agree, I hope the b12 goes back to divisions. has the potential to add some excitement to the season, just win a few key games and you have a great chance to be in the CCG

Yeah, I used to want this too but I think it's going to be better for the league to be 1 vs 2. I think if we went to divisions it would be very ACC/AAC'y. I don't think there will ever been a dominant team in this conference, certainly not two. Making the CCG shouldn't be some impossible uphill climb, all the schools are actually peers. I don't want to see multiple years of four loss teams in a CCG.

I get not wanting a 4-loss team making the CCG too. I just have no idea how you write tie-breakers for who goes the CCG if the teams never played each other. I have no idea how you tie-break 2 teams that went 8-1, both lost to the 9-0 team that finished first & went 8-0 against everyone else in conference. I don’t want it to be committee or poll based. I don’t want a team getting rewarded for going 3-0 in OOC playing Rutgers & being 11-1 ending the season ranked #8 while the other team is 10-2 because they went 2-1 in OCC playing a premier P5 and end the season ranked #10.

valid points
should just tie it to CFP ranking if the angle is "we want to maximize CFP chances."  hell, just have the top two CFP ranked teams play regardless of conference record.
By the time this happens the Champ will probably have an autobid. If I’m tied at 8-1 in conference with another team that’s ranked higher because the shitty committee ranks by # of losses & they played Rutgers while I played someone with a pulse, I’m furious. Schools like Oklahoma State have tried to schedule big games & gotten a home/home with Alabama. They shouldn’t be punished.

The potential autobid makes me more against using committee rankings for who gets into the CCG.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 05:19:24 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33131 on: April 29, 2022, 08:38:50 PM »
Isn’t it fun what conference Armageddon and tv money has got us? A cool stadium, two and a half conference rivalries and people debating whether we should have a conference championship based on an opinion poll ranking.  We made it big time baby!

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33132 on: April 29, 2022, 10:39:35 PM »
Two and a half?

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33133 on: April 30, 2022, 10:05:47 AM »
?
Two and a half?

So I get that KU is only worth 1/2 a football team and ISU would be 1.  Who is the other 1? OSU since they were with us in Big 8?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33134 on: April 30, 2022, 12:14:17 PM »
?
Two and a half?

So I get that KU is only worth 1/2 a football team and ISU would be 1.  Who is the other 1? OSU since they were with us in Big 8?

Maybe Texas is half because they are almost gone?  And ISU and KU are the other two? :dunno:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33135 on: May 12, 2022, 10:50:26 AM »
Memphis prepping to push the Big12 to stay at 14 when OU/Texas leave. There were rumors that when the Big12 added the last 4 that it would have been tough to pick 4 out of 5 schools, but Memphis’ stadium was such a shithole it became easy to have them be the one left out.

https://twitter.com/tigersathletics/status/1524751253628063746?s=21
« Last Edit: May 12, 2022, 10:56:57 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33136 on: May 12, 2022, 10:54:22 AM »
During the last conference armageddon, the FedEx millionaire was offering a bag to whatever conference was willing to take them.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33137 on: May 12, 2022, 12:14:10 PM »
Wasn't impressed by that at all. Are they just renovating the luxury boxes and adding some blue led lights to the stadium exterior?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #33138 on: May 12, 2022, 01:19:20 PM »
i've never been to the liberty bowl.  but here's the thing:

i'd love to go and i think it looks really cool and the new reno looks really cool. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33140 on: May 12, 2022, 01:57:00 PM »
Meanwhile the ACC commissioner, seemingly very confused about his lot in college athletics, was the first commissioner to publicly discuss breaking away from the NCAA. He's an idiot, that will push the SEC and Big 10 even further ahead of everyone else.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33141 on: May 12, 2022, 04:30:47 PM »
Memphis before and after:

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33142 on: May 12, 2022, 04:40:59 PM »
That's a lot of lights

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33143 on: May 12, 2022, 05:19:29 PM »
I don't like the lighting system at BSFS (or TFS or the soccer field or Bramlage). 

I realize that all are 5 or 6 years or less.   But Musco tends to push a minimalist approach, particularly with the new LED's.   The new LED's have less scatter, and the in person viewing has improved over the old, but it's still not bright enough IMO, and the shadows around the pitchers mound at TFS on TV are terrible, the corners at Buser on TV are just flat dark. 

I would have preferred to have seen another bank of lights put in at mid field at BSFS.

I don't think Musco did Bramlage.  Currie hired a venue video-lighting-display-sound consulting firm out of Dallas (I think) to put all the together.   The videoboard at Bramlage is by Panasonic, all the other videoboards for athletics are Dactronics.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #33144 on: May 13, 2022, 08:37:21 AM »
the fact that memphis hasn't gotten Pringles as their flagship sponsor just shows how completely stupid they are and why we don't want those dimwit losers

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33146 on: May 18, 2022, 02:12:26 AM »
https://twitter.com/ESPNRittenberg/status/1526615277009612801?s=20&t=n3LqjFpdNsbEguA66AHGnQ

This is terrible for everyone but the SEC and just a handful of teams outside of the SEC. They're going to be signing 40 player classes and grayshirting half the roster.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33147 on: May 18, 2022, 08:52:20 AM »
Nub and Oklahoma used to have like 250 dudes on their teams just so the rest of the Big8 didn't have any decent players left to recruit.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33148 on: May 18, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »
so the question will be if NIL + greyshirt = no limit on scholarships? 

I thought it was more like 120 or so on scholarship at NU or OU before the limit was put in but the above will make it harder to pull late bloomers from TX, GA, FL l, etc when a class is never full

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33149 on: May 18, 2022, 09:28:50 AM »
We see with the transfer portal that these guys are going to want to play though, right?