Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4055628 times)

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #32075 on: August 20, 2021, 03:15:06 PM »
What crap exactly do you put up with in regards to BYU?

All the stuff that MIR said, plus
- while Baylor was busy covering up rape, BYU was disciplining the victims for honor code violations
- the BYU police department was caught and nearly ended for digging through the state’s police reports and giving info about students to the honor code office
- Brigham Young is one of the worst people in US history and they should have to change their name before joining

But they have billions of dollars if that’s what you’re in to.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32076 on: August 20, 2021, 04:07:48 PM »
What crap exactly do you put up with in regards to BYU?

Athletically, it's just that they won't play on Sundays. Otherwise, it's just being associated with a theocratic university. We already have Baylor and that is embarrassing enough.

That isn't true, their honor code,, still, in 2021 discriminates against the lgbtq community. However, I'm just going to sit that aside, we don't even need to discuss that.

The biggest pain in the ass is that they are in Provo, Utah. If you are adding teams and your budget is being cut, you can't have a conference with teams in Orlando, Morgantown, Houston, and Provo, that's insanity, football isn't the only sport that's played, the travel costs would be ridiculous.

Yes, BYU is very popular with Mormons, however the level of their popularity outside of the state of Utah is anecdotal. Their TV numbers aren't any better than the good schools in the AAC. Their enrollment and alumni base is in fact smaller than all those other schools except Memphis and Memphis' enrollment is similar to ours.

Did you know BYU also has their own network for their sports? It's called BYUtv and it's carriage is microscopic, you ever here of it?

If we expanded west and BYU modified their honor code I'd be happy to take them, like if we are going to go 16 instead of 12. But if we're going 12 it makes no sense to add them and no, they don't have more value than Cincinnati, Houston, or UCF. Memphis maybe, but not much. Memphis also gets the conference in a good recruiting area.

Care to share where you got your tv numbers? Everything I see has BYU quite a bit ahead of the AAC teams and a couple sites stated they averaged nearly 2 million/ game when they played P5 teams. Alot of their games were against bad teams and they still have good numbers. Not saying you're wrong, would just like to see actual numbers.

No, their ratings aren't even just okay, they're just bad. Here are the 2020 ratings.
https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

-A few notes, they were over a million in the regular season twice, once was for what a lot of people, me included, thought was the game of the year against Coastal Carolina, and they got 1.2 for that and once against Houston and they got 1.1 for that.
-They played Boise on the same day Houston played Cincinnati, you would think BYU/Boise could pull at least a decent number, it got less than 700K. Houston vs. Cincinnati got 1.4 million on the same day, and remember Houston wasn't good last year.
-Their bowl game was rated 20th out of 25 post season games.

It really is a niche program, the Big 12 didn't take them because the juice wasn't worth the proverbial squeeze. The Big 12 leadership didn't care about that other stuff, it may be different now but they didn't care in 2014. They didn't think BYU could make them money.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32077 on: August 20, 2021, 04:09:00 PM »
I don't think it hurts to ask if we can have a billion dollars to let them join.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32078 on: August 20, 2021, 04:48:13 PM »
We got rats trying to leave a sinking ship.  :shakesfist:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32079 on: August 20, 2021, 05:26:21 PM »
Here's some true TV numbers:

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32081 on: August 21, 2021, 09:36:50 AM »
BYU sports writers articulate joining the Big 12 from the BYU viewpoint:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/three-conference-realignment-moves-that-make-sense-for-byu-three-that-don-t/ar-AANyhqC?ocid=msedgntp

:lol: that's worth a read just to see how delusional they are, Pac 12 as a football only member, lol.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32082 on: August 22, 2021, 07:38:50 AM »
BYUtv isn’t for their sports. It’s been around 20+ years with mostly non-sports programming. I’ve had it on uVerse & DirectTV. Also, you can watch it free online. I don’t think you can use BYUtv as a barometer for anything sports related.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32083 on: August 22, 2021, 08:52:52 AM »
K-State's shot of ever winning a National Title in football went out the door once the playoffs were introduced. There's no way we're ever winning 2-3 games in a row vs blue blood programs.

Why not? We've had teams that were good enough to do it before.

I worry a little bit that it will be like the early to mid 90's (when I was a little cat) and it will be really hard to watch cats games again.

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk

I don't see that happening. With all the TV contracts and internet streaming, I think we'll be able to watch a football games just about anywhere. You and I are similar in age, so I do know what you're talking about. I regularly listened to the games on the radio with my father as he made the rounds with the tractor. However, back then a majority of the football games were simply untelevised. That's not the case in today's modern world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dirty Deeds

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32084 on: August 22, 2021, 08:52:53 AM »
K-State's shot of ever winning a National Title in football went out the door once the playoffs were introduced. There's no way we're ever winning 2-3 games in a row vs blue blood programs.

Why not? We've had teams that were good enough to do it before.

I worry a little bit that it will be like the early to mid 90's (when I was a little cat) and it will be really hard to watch cats games again.

Sent from my hatch using Tapatalk

I don't see that happening. With all the TV contracts and internet streaming, I think we'll be able to watch a football games just about anywhere. You and I are similar in age, so I do know what you're talking about. I regularly listened to the games on the radio with my father as he made the rounds with the tractor. However, back then a majority of the football games were simply untelevised. That's not the case in today's modern world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32085 on: August 22, 2021, 01:27:45 PM »
BYUtv isn’t for their sports. It’s been around 20+ years with mostly non-sports programming. I’ve had it on uVerse & DirectTV. Also, you can watch it free online. I don’t think you can use BYUtv as a barometer for anything sports related.

It's where their sports that aren't picked up by ESPN are located. On their webpage they have BYUtv listed second after ESPN on watch/listen. Last season They played 1 football game and 10 men's basketball games there.

I don't "hold that against them," I just use it to illustrate their actual value as opposed to what their perceived value is. My guess is they put their tier 3 rights on BYUtv instead of ESPN+ or CBSSN to build the value of the network but it isn't working given Directv won't put them on the sports tier and has them on the tier with the least amount of subscribers that isn't the foreign language tier.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32086 on: August 22, 2021, 01:49:27 PM »
DTV is dying and will only survive because of NFL Sunday ticket.  This is why ATT spun them off.

The NFLST contract expires next year.

The NFL would be dumb to continue it on that platform.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32087 on: August 23, 2021, 11:22:22 AM »
BIG QUESTION of the day.  Will the PAC destroy the Big XII?   :horrorsurprise:

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32088 on: August 23, 2021, 12:10:33 PM »
Big 12 conference as Castaway:

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #32089 on: August 23, 2021, 01:18:25 PM »
 :lol:

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32090 on: August 23, 2021, 01:46:48 PM »
BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, and Central Florida. Sue the eff out of everyone and remain a P5.

Negative. I want to find a way to rid ourselves of Baylor during this next process. I still think the below is a better option, although more unlikely than the one you've laid out.

Still holding out slim hope....

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32091 on: August 23, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
I really wish the team could take all the disrespect for this school in all the articles out there and use that as extra motivation for this upcoming season.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #32092 on: August 24, 2021, 10:42:39 AM »
what's michael jackson's favorite university ?

the joke used to go

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32093 on: August 24, 2021, 12:47:03 PM »
I will take this with several grains of salt but Dave Wannstedt said he heard this at the Fox meetings.  Starts at about the 3:40 mark.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-mully-hanley-show-on-670-the-score/episode/mully-dave-wannstedt-mike-florio-interviews-hour-4-86311008

Offline KanSt43

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32094 on: August 24, 2021, 12:51:28 PM »
I will take this with several grains of salt but Dave Wannstedt said he heard this at the Fox meetings.  Starts at about the 3:40 mark.

https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-mully-hanley-show-on-670-the-score/episode/mully-dave-wannstedt-mike-florio-interviews-hour-4-86311008

Beat me to this. I've heard it from other places as well.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32095 on: August 24, 2021, 12:57:31 PM »

Beat me to this. I've heard it from other places as well.

:surprised:

not gonna lie at first I thought he was confusing KU and KSU. but we definitely belong in a wild west conference

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32096 on: August 24, 2021, 01:01:10 PM »
Can you even imagine an alternate universe where KU meets K-State in the Rose Bowl?  What if it was this universe?

Offline MadCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32098 on: August 24, 2021, 01:07:42 PM »
"History Alliance" or "Historic Alliance"?

strong academic experience indeed

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32099 on: August 24, 2021, 01:15:03 PM »
What a perfect world that we be and we could still be buds with and play ku every year