Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4058909 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31525 on: July 28, 2021, 10:20:41 PM »
Does this make the remaining 8 more motivated to hang together, or the opposite?
I think tighter because it's a signal of how ESPN views their value. Or hopes to

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31526 on: July 28, 2021, 10:21:34 PM »
I've been told that Iowa State received correspondence from ESPN re: the AAC.

That was my guess, Iowa State and Texas Tech and both of those ADs would be grossly offended and very red assed about it.

There’s a lot of “Texas Tech is leading the organizing” from different outlets. Have to wonder if they figured out the PAC wasn’t an option and once they got an AAC they thought there’s no way we’re settling for this to join a 16-team AAC.

The Pac could still be on the table and the ADs would absolutely be angry about your media partner trying to tell you that you're better off by not looking for something better but something precipitously worse. It's why I'm completely baffled by what ESPN's play was here. Did they think these schools would just be okay with this? Of course somebody was going to dime them out. The AAC isn't a destination, it's a place you find yourself at when you don't have other options.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31527 on: July 28, 2021, 10:26:39 PM »

That was my guess, Iowa State and Texas Tech and both of those ADs would be grossly offended and very red assed about it.

There’s a lot of “Texas Tech is leading the organizing” from different outlets. Have to wonder if they figured out the PAC wasn’t an option and once they got an AAC they thought there’s no way we’re settling for this to join a 16-team AAC.

The Pac could still be on the table and the ADs would absolutely be angry about your media partner trying to tell you that you're better off by not looking for something better but something precipitously worse. It's why I'm completely baffled by what ESPN's play was here. Did they think these schools would just be okay with this? Of course somebody was going to dime them out. The AAC isn't a destination, it's a place you find yourself at when you don't have other options.

Just because you're in a powerful position doesn't mean you're an idiot, sounds like they got cocky and forgot the first and second rule of fight club
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31528 on: July 28, 2021, 10:27:00 PM »
BTW Fox will be a powerful ally for us. ESPN is trying to gain a stronghold on major college football and trying to devalue their product, they've been quiet but I'd have to think they aren't happy with ESPN's power play here.

I'm hoping Amazon and Apple jump in as well. Perhaps even HBO.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31529 on: July 28, 2021, 10:30:03 PM »
Wonder if any correspondence FOIA-able?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If any public university is involved 1000%.  Albeit there may be some corporate structuring with the university that could slow down a response.  A private school that gets Federal cheese for anything is also at risk for FOIA.

I thought you had some experience working with the government. I merely clerked at a branch of a state government for a couple months, and I can say for a fact that it is very easy to not produce in response to FOIA requests.
It’s not easy to duck when there’s some horsepower behind the request.  The mega corps I’ve worked for in situations I was aware of, had (and I’m being conservative) about a .950 FOIA response win rate.    They picked and chose their moments, they didn’t birdshot in a howitzer FOIA’s.   

Well funded perseverance will prevail or more strident means will be undertaken, you know that.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #31530 on: July 28, 2021, 10:30:33 PM »
This really might wind up as two college football leagues won't it... the Disney League and the Fox league.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31531 on: July 28, 2021, 10:31:44 PM »
This Bob is looking for more than gE’s Certificate of Participation.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31532 on: July 28, 2021, 10:34:10 PM »

There%u2019s a lot of %u201CTexas Tech is leading the organizing%u201D from different outlets. Have to wonder if they figured out the PAC wasn%u2019t an option and once they got an AAC they thought there%u2019s no way we%u2019re settling for this to join a 16-team AAC.

It’s quite possible that the espn business suits don’t quite understand how insulted the small town big12 schools would be at the suggestion that they should all just happily snatch up an aac espn offer.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31533 on: July 28, 2021, 10:34:28 PM »
OSU's president already publicly claimed that Texas and OU breached the by-laws.  That might be a possible leak regarding AAC/ESPN.

Did SEC commish court OU & UT while simultaneously serving on the playoff committee?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #31534 on: July 28, 2021, 10:36:30 PM »
Pro tip: No “lawyers” on this blog understand anything going on with this messaging. They’re definitely not those type of lawyers.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31535 on: July 28, 2021, 10:39:19 PM »
Bob is telling it like it is and saying what everybody already knows.

The desperate clamor for viable live content is intense, because the rest of the content on ESPN barely draws flies.   It’s midweek lunch time background at sports bars.

ESPN has no prayer without viable live sports.  It’s DOA without it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31538 on: July 28, 2021, 10:48:08 PM »
Just how good is that AAC offer?  Asking for a friend.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31539 on: July 28, 2021, 10:54:52 PM »
BTW Fox will be a powerful ally for us. ESPN is trying to gain a stronghold on major college football and trying to devalue their product, they've been quiet but I'd have to think they aren't happy with ESPN's power play here.

I'm hoping Amazon and Apple jump in as well. Perhaps even HBO.

AMC theaters
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31540 on: July 28, 2021, 10:58:56 PM »

This really might wind up as two college football leagues won't it... the Disney League and the Fox league.

It’s going to be something to behold.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31541 on: July 28, 2021, 10:59:43 PM »
I just want, if somehow ESPN still shows a big 12 game fans with giant check signs with ESPN's logo and a "pay to the order of the rest of the big 12 $20 billion dollars" (or w/e the settlement ends of being) with a memo line "for destroying CFB" and us fans every time we see ESPN flashing pay me my money hand signs, and all things like that, my god it would be great
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31542 on: July 28, 2021, 11:21:47 PM »

The Fox league should make their own Fox league playoff and championship game. Declare the winner the national champion.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31543 on: July 28, 2021, 11:22:38 PM »

The Fox league should make their own Fox league playoff and championship game. Declare the winner the national champion.

Sponsored by Mr. Pibb.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #31544 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:48 PM »

Sponsored by Mr. Pibb.  Dr. Pepper!

FYP  :blush:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31545 on: July 28, 2021, 11:41:49 PM »
Luked?

https://twitter.com/brett_mcmurphy/status/1420537427924557829?s=21

I'd have to imagine strident discovery would uncover some not-so-good-looking comms. Can neither confirm nor deny whether I was contacted for this piece.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31546 on: July 28, 2021, 11:43:04 PM »
Pro tip: No “lawyers” on this blog understand anything going on with this messaging. They’re definitely not those type of lawyers.

I never understand what's going on, and I'll never say otherwise.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #31547 on: July 28, 2021, 11:45:35 PM »
 :lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31548 on: July 29, 2021, 12:07:08 AM »
Just how good is that AAC offer?  Asking for a friend.

I'm guessing if it was good we wouldn't have found out this way

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31549 on: July 29, 2021, 12:28:46 AM »
I’m ok with being a conference of 8 making it super awkward for the other super conferences.

YES