Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4053150 times)

MeatSauce and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31425 on: July 28, 2021, 02:16:37 PM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.

Because the Big 12 has autonomy status. And whatever the new Big 12 looks like would definitely have a better media deal than either the aac or mwc, combined.

What is autonomy status and who controls it?  I would think it can be snatched away with our only top tier schools leaving.

The NCAA controls it, and it isn't going away, however it won't stop the usual trolls, alarmists, conspiracy theorists, and dramatists from acting like the NCAA will meet tomorrow just to screw the Big 12.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

That article is 7 years old. At any rate our Revenue is about to take a 25 million dollar annual haircut.

Why would the article need to be newer, it's established law in college athletics? Do we need a current article explaining 12 men's basketball scholarships?

Also why did you bring up what you think our revenue is going to be? You asked about what autonomy is, and I showed you apparently that isn't enough to stop the panic so we're going to talk about projected revenue. Well, the initial point was to show the two reasons why it's ridiculous to think the Big 12 schools would just join the aac. I gave you your two reasons, autonomy and the Big 12s significantly higher media rights payout.

since you seem to have all the answers, whats your solution for the big 12 to continue functioning, while still paying out 35m/year to its' members? Once UT and OU leave that money goes with them.

The Big 12 functioning has nothing to do with payouts. The Big 12 schools will get less money when this deal is over, whether it's in 2022 or 2025. The worst case scenario is the most likely one and that's we take on some group of 5 schools and the payout gets reduced to an AAV of, let's say $17 million. My response is, so what? Why should that matter to you? We've made big money since this last media deal was done, what has that done for your fan experience? Did you have more fun watching games in 1999 when we were broke or in 2020 when we got more tv money than USC, Clemson, and Oregon? Whose fans are happier now, Memphis fans or Tennessee fans, Cincinnati fans or Syracuse fans?

All of this money we've made the past decade is just bloat. It isn't going to you and me and it isn't going to the athletes. We'll be fine. I know it sucks hearing people around the country acting like your school is like Tulane and Tulsa, but we'll be fine.

There's some rich irony about our fans in particular, who have spent the better part of the last decade pining for the 90's, now freaking out because our revenue will fall back and we'll be broke, just like we were when we all fell in love with Kansas State.
I'm worried we won't have "rivals" to play. I'm sure they'll be replaced in whatever new world we're in, but it'll take some time

Colorado was a rival in old Big 12, Iowa State became a rival in nu b12. We haven't been exactly selective, we'll be fine.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31426 on: July 28, 2021, 02:17:33 PM »
Can we just stay at 8?

We will if we get more money that way.

lol, no.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31429 on: July 28, 2021, 02:32:37 PM »
I’m ok with being a conference of 8 making it super awkward for the other super conferences.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #31430 on: July 28, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »
I’m ok with being a conference of 8 making it super awkward for the other super conferences.

Uh, sure, but we also need money and wouldn't have much at all staying at 8 unless you add 2 super awesome schools that generate tons of money. You think TX or OK would be interested?

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31431 on: July 28, 2021, 03:44:40 PM »
https://twitter.com/SkaggsOB/status/1420221250991968257?s=20

This is why it's hard to hate Texas.

It is not hard in any way.

Yup, it's a sweet ass gif, but in no makes up for the literally everything those fuckers are doing to us, the confy, and college football at large
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31432 on: July 28, 2021, 04:14:59 PM »

Uh, sure, but we also need money and wouldn't have much at all staying at 8 unless you add 2 super awesome schools that generate tons of money. You think TX or OK would be interested?

We are the bottom feeders so any more teams dilutes the pot. Also the idea of money mattering to fans was already mushed itt

Offline BW

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31433 on: July 28, 2021, 04:22:52 PM »
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1420492649442709510?s=19

Here we go....

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31434 on: July 28, 2021, 04:40:55 PM »
If the big 12 implodes it better be damn entertaining...this cease and desist part might be the start of entertaining at least.
Dax fan club member!

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31435 on: July 28, 2021, 04:47:53 PM »
If the big 12 implodes it better be damn entertaining...this cease and desist part might be the start of entertaining at least.

HEY BIG BAD ESPN WITH ALL THE MONEY WE NEED AND WANT!  Here is a letter telling you to f*.k off. 

Bold strategy Cotton!

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #31436 on: July 28, 2021, 04:55:36 PM »

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31437 on: July 28, 2021, 05:12:33 PM »
The letter itself means nothing, which suggests to me that they may suspect some ESPN funny business that prompted the move by Texas and OU.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31438 on: July 28, 2021, 05:15:49 PM »
The letter itself means nothing, which suggests to me that they may suspect some ESPN funny business that prompted the move by Texas and OU.

Should be obvious
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline BMWWcat

• Combo-Fan
  • I still love the Purple Pants...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31439 on: July 28, 2021, 05:17:16 PM »
In it, commissioner Bob Bowlsby says that ESPN has reached out to at least one of the eight remaining Big 12 members in an attempt to convince the school to leave in wake of the Texas and OU exit.
Dax fan club member!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31441 on: July 28, 2021, 05:36:19 PM »

HEY BIG BAD ESPN WITH ALL THE MONEY WE NEED AND WANT!  Here is a letter telling you to f*.k off. 

Bold strategy Cotton!

Yeah. None of this is happening without ESPN and Greg Sankey pulling literally all of the strings. However, telling the largest college football media rights holder to leave us alone probably isn't great given we eventually need to negotiate media rights. I hope they're hopeful of getting an exclusive deal with Fox or CBS, otherwise we may have to revisit our likely scenarios chart.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31442 on: July 28, 2021, 05:37:32 PM »
Bob's signature  :sdeek:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31443 on: July 28, 2021, 05:38:43 PM »
In it, commissioner Bob Bowlsby says that ESPN has reached out to at least one of the eight remaining Big 12 members in an attempt to convince the school to leave in wake of the Texas and OU exit.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31444 on: July 28, 2021, 05:40:33 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31445 on: July 28, 2021, 05:41:13 PM »

it didn't say that, it said they reached out to at least one conference about poaching schools from the Big 12. (I don't know how that's functionally different but still)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31446 on: July 28, 2021, 05:44:36 PM »
So ESPN is trying to get KU in the ACC. While they have rights to the Pac 12 and Big 10, they don't he those exclusive rights and more importantly they don't have the rights to those conference networks, so it has to be the ACC, but that's messy as hell because contractually that would force the ACC to be stuck at 15 because Notre Dame contractually gets a spot in the ACC if they join a conference.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31447 on: July 28, 2021, 05:44:56 PM »
Probably won’t but this has a chance to actually get kind of good.

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1420512136208568324?s=21

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31448 on: July 28, 2021, 05:47:29 PM »
I’d love to see ESPN go down in flames.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31449 on: July 28, 2021, 05:49:18 PM »
Probably won’t but this has a chance to actually get kind of good.

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1420512136208568324?s=21

lol really? c'mon