Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4070691 times)

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31500 on: July 28, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »
So, how do we poach other schools while suing ESPN for the SEC poaching UT & OU. I guess another open casting call.

Also, is anyone going to want to join a conference ESPN won’t touch?
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31501 on: July 28, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
I’ve barely looked at my phone today? Is it just the SEC we’re mad about with ESPN or are we also saying they were planning with the AAC to for OSU, Tech, etc?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31502 on: July 28, 2021, 09:09:07 PM »
Wonder if any correspondence FOIA-able?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If any public university is involved 1000%.  Albeit there may be some corporate structuring with the university that could slow down a response.  A private school that gets Federal cheese for anything is also at risk for FOIA. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31503 on: July 28, 2021, 09:12:35 PM »
I’ve barely looked at my phone today? Is it just the SEC we’re mad about with ESPN or are we also saying they were planning with the AAC to for OSU, Tech, etc?
We aren't just mad at ESPN, we're at rough ridin' war with them

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31504 on: July 28, 2021, 09:18:16 PM »
We aren't just mad at ESPN, we're at rough ridin' war with them
We are at war and Bob is our general. What a time to be alive.
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31505 on: July 28, 2021, 09:25:15 PM »
It’s been hit on in multiple circles but it’s a frontal assault with ESPN trying to monopolize one of the most highly watched sports in the US. 

Even Pawl yammered and stammered around when a caller brought that up.   They’re about to start shelling out huge dollars and are on the hook to the tune of billions to major conferences and they needed one to go away badly.   

So they didn’t have to worry about 1. Even having to deal with it at all and/or 2.  Competing for rights and watch another network possibly grab a major conference that was competing with their conferences and diluting viewership as they pay premium dollars and need viewers and subscribers to support that outlay. 

The dissolution of the Big 12 saves them billions

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31506 on: July 28, 2021, 09:31:39 PM »
It's be so sweet to sue ESPN (and by extension, the SEC) into the poor house, would be proper comeuppance to burn the rough rider down now and ruin it for them. It'd be be so so sweet
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31507 on: July 28, 2021, 09:31:56 PM »
Wonder if any correspondence FOIA-able?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
If any public university is involved 1000%.  Albeit there may be some corporate structuring with the university that could slow down a response.  A private school that gets Federal cheese for anything is also at risk for FOIA.

I thought you had some experience working with the government. I merely clerked at a branch of a state government for a couple months, and I can say for a fact that it is very easy to not produce in response to FOIA requests.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31508 on: July 28, 2021, 09:32:36 PM »
Evil empire. Want to get rid of their products. ESPN is scum for this. The worst or the worst.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31509 on: July 28, 2021, 09:37:15 PM »
I wonder which AAC staffer sent an email to a Big12 school that included ESPN numbers/info & which school gave that email to Bowlsby.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31510 on: July 28, 2021, 09:38:11 PM »
So, how do we poach other schools while suing ESPN for the SEC poaching UT & OU. I guess another open casting call.

Also, is anyone going to want to join a conference ESPN won’t touch?

Because we aren't conspiring with anyone. There's absolutely nothing wrong with asking another school to join. As far as who would want to join, if you completely remove ESPN from our media deal, just FOX, our payout still is much more than the AAC and MWC.

If I were to guess right now, if we stick together we will be with Fox and Sinclair d.b.a Bally Sports. Maybe we get knoxy back  :excited:

There is a pretty good chance we could also get a deal with CBS as they already have deals with the MWC and AAC.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31511 on: July 28, 2021, 09:43:11 PM »
Yeah schools dance around FOIA all the time. However, in this case, if the school acted on good faith in their correspondence, I don't know what the motivation would be in not honoring the request, especially if you were the school that leaked the AAC story.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31512 on: July 28, 2021, 09:45:06 PM »
I wonder which AAC staffer sent an email to a Big12 school that included ESPN numbers/info & which school gave that email to Bowlsby.

I was perusing other boards, lots of people wondering if it was Mizzou or A&M's doing being on the "inside", though that seems like a weird to shoot yourself in the foot like that, but would be amazeballs if A&M took it that personally

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #31513 on: July 28, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »
I've been told that Iowa State received correspondence from ESPN re: the AAC.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31514 on: July 28, 2021, 09:51:40 PM »

I was perusing other boards, lots of people wondering if it was Mizzou or A&M's doing being on the "inside", though that seems like a weird to shoot yourself in the foot like that, but would be amazeballs if A&M took it that personally

I don't think this is the case. Firstly, it has nothing to do with OU and UT going to the SEC, this is a completely different situation. Secondly, the way Bowlsby talked, they have documents, they aren't getting AAC documents from SEC schools.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31515 on: July 28, 2021, 09:52:41 PM »

That was my guess, Iowa State and Texas Tech and both of those ADs would be grossly offended and very red assed about it.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31516 on: July 28, 2021, 09:57:00 PM »

I don't think this is the case. Firstly, it has nothing to do with OU and UT going to the SEC, this is a completely different situation. Secondly, the way Bowlsby talked, they have documents, they aren't getting AAC documents from SEC schools.

Oh I don't think so either but you can't also tell me this is all behind the scenes coordinated plan by ESPN w/ SEC et al and they don't know what's going on. I'm saying it'd be hilarious if A&M knew of this and basically blowing the whistle on espn to back off destroying big 12/forcing texas to pay an ass $$ of money is the petty of petty Id love to see.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31517 on: July 28, 2021, 09:57:45 PM »
Also to me SEC = ESPN at this point so you might as well get crap from them going to the AAC to make this happen and I'm sure a kickback for the effort

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31518 on: July 28, 2021, 10:05:48 PM »
From The Athletic's Max Olson

In a bold attempt to protect the future of his conference, Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby sent a cease and desist letter to ESPN on Wednesday alleging that the network is colluding with and encouraging at least one other conference to attempt to poach their remaining members and demanding that the network stop.

Oklahoma and Texas announced this week they intend to leave the Big 12 in 2025 and have requested membership in the SEC. But Bowlsby is publicly taking on his TV partner for what has occurred since then, claiming he has evidence that ESPN is working with another conference to solicit and raid other Big 12 schools to the demise of his conference.

Bowlsby stated in the letter that these efforts to assist in the pursuit of members of the Big 12, who are bound to a grant of rights agreement through 2025, are “an apparent attempt to interfere with and to induce our members to breach these contractual obligations to the Conference and to encourage further conference realignment for the financial benefit of ESPN.”

In the letter addressed to ESPN executive Burke Magnus, Bowlsby demanded that ESPN immediately cease all actions that may harm the Big 12 and its members, as well as any communication with or about existing Big 12 members and other conferences regarding possible realignment and financially incentivizing such moves.

“This collaboration between and among ESPN and conferences to undermine the Big 12 is a tortious interference with our business,” Bowlsby told The Athletic. “We would be able to assert that even if it wasn’t in our contract, but in fact it is in our contract. It’s clearly them doing things that are disadvantageous to our business, and I have absolute certainty that what I’m saying is factual.”

Bowlsby declined to name the offending conference or elaborate on the evidence he’s gathered but said, “I can tell you it’s irrefutable.”

ESPN responded in a statement: “The claims in the letter have no merit.”

Multiple sources confirmed to The Athletic that the American Athletic Conference has attempted to engage three to five Big 12 members about potentially joining the conference with ESPN’s support. CBS Sports first reported the AAC is the league Bowlsby is referencing.

Last week, multiple high-ranking sources within the conference told The Athletic that the AAC plans to act as an aggressor during realignment and intends to poach remaining Big 12 schools. “We’ve already got ESPN at the table,” a source in the conference said last week.

While Bowlsby is taking aim at attempts to persuade the Big 12’s remaining schools not to leave and destabilize or destroy the conference, he believes ESPN’s actions are not unrelated to the efforts of Texas and Oklahoma to depart for the SEC.

“If the conference ceases to exist, they have the best chance to join the SEC more quickly and they have the best chance to get out of their obligations for the grant of rights and the exit fees,” he said.

Both schools announced they do not intend to renew their grant of rights beyond 2025. Bowlsby said he knows now Texas and Oklahoma worked on a move to the SEC for “at least a matter of months.” The exit penalty each member would have to pay for leaving the conference before the conclusion of the grant of rights is two full years of revenue distribution. Sources expect that fee to be roughly $80 million. “They’re gonna do everything they can to get out before 2025,” Bowlsby said. “It’ll be interesting to see what they try.”

The dissolution of the Big 12 would also save ESPN hundreds of millions of dollars, which is why Bowlsby believes the network is motivated to play a manipulative role in realignment and collude with other conferences to poach remaining members. Bowlsby has worked with ESPN for decades and said he’s “disappointed” in the actions they’ve taken.

“I understand the pressure that the broadcasters are under,” Bowlsby said. “They have huge rights fees and they have a cable architecture that is crumbling. It’s gone down 3, 4, 5 percent a year and it’s gonna continue until it gets way lower than what it is today. What has been a very lucrative financial model is now declining rapidly. So I understand why they’re trying to get out of rights fees and trying to look for economies and maybe even why they might be articulating moves like OU and Texas to the SEC.

“But there’s certain things you can do that are right and there are certain things you can’t do that are wrong. This is across the line. They’ve been accused of it previously and bristled. But I can tell you, I wouldn’t be saying these things if I wasn’t absolutely certain.”

Bowlsby believes he’s in a “good place” with his eight remaining schools, and his presidents and ADs are continuing to meet regularly since the rumors of Texas and Oklahoma departing emerged last week. The Athletic has reported that those leaders are doing their due diligence and looking into whatever options in other conferences might exist if more realignment occurs. The Big 12 does have a bylaw requiring members to notify Bowlsby within 12 hours of contact or conversations with other conferences, which Texas and Oklahoma both violated.

“They’re all getting pressure, and I understand it,” Bowlsby said. “Their boosters and donors and board members are concerned, and I understand the concern. On the other hand, these are not things that happen very rapidly. The OU-Texas transition hasn’t happened quickly and our decisions in the wake of it are not going to happen quickly, either. But I feel like if the eight schools hang together, we will have good options going forward.”

Whenever Texas and Oklahoma do eventually exit the conference, sources say the conference’s TV partners could immediately approach the Big 12 about reworking the rest of its TV deal to reflect the loss of value.

Bowlsby acknowledged that’s a possibility. He knows the move he’s making now, threatening legal action against a partner that has immense influence on the Big 12’s long-term survival, could certainly prove costly later.

“That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t do the right thing,” he said.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31519 on: July 28, 2021, 10:08:21 PM »
BTW Fox will be a powerful ally for us. ESPN is trying to gain a stronghold on major college football and trying to devalue their product, they've been quiet but I'd have to think they aren't happy with ESPN's power play here.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #31520 on: July 28, 2021, 10:09:40 PM »
 :lol: This. Is. Awesome!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31521 on: July 28, 2021, 10:11:24 PM »
“I understand the pressure that the broadcasters are under,” Bowlsby said. “They have huge rights fees and they have a cable architecture that is crumbling. It’s gone down 3, 4, 5 percent a year and it’s gonna continue until it gets way lower than what it is today. What has been a very lucrative financial model is now declining rapidly. So I understand why they’re trying to get out of rights fees and trying to look for economies and maybe even why they might be articulating moves like OU and Texas to the SEC.

What is he doing here? This seems like a bad negotiating play

Unless he's saying Fox is going the right direction. :dunno:

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31522 on: July 28, 2021, 10:12:28 PM »

That was my guess, Iowa State and Texas Tech and both of those ADs would be grossly offended and very red assed about it.

There’s a lot of “Texas Tech is leading the organizing” from different outlets. Have to wonder if they figured out the PAC wasn’t an option and once they got an AAC they thought there’s no way we’re settling for this to join a 16-team AAC.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31523 on: July 28, 2021, 10:17:03 PM »

What is he doing here? This seems like a bad negotiating play

Unless he's saying Fox is going the right direction. :dunno:

It's safe to say the negotiations with ESPN are over, with their current leadership anyway. The only way the Big 12 is signing a new deal with ESPN, if we stay together, is as a part of a settlement with a lawsuit.

Offline ksuchris2000

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31524 on: July 28, 2021, 10:18:45 PM »
Does this make the remaining 8 more motivated to hang together, or the opposite?