Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4067652 times)

Offline CantHaveNiceThingsKSU

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #31400 on: July 28, 2021, 10:36:49 AM »
I still think the SEC is trolling and when they put it up to a vote everyone is going to vote no and laugh cause they're all in on the joke and OU and Texas will be left with their dicks hanging out in the wind. Then all the SEC schools will start chanting "SEC rules!" and fist pumping their way into the local bar.

Makes more sense for UT to join the PAC 12 anyway since they are only good in the Olympic sports now. They won’t win more than 6 games per year in SEC football.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31401 on: July 28, 2021, 10:39:20 AM »
OU had it made in the big 12 (yeah, they lose to us but it didn't hurt them), and now they'll be an 8-4-ish team routinely.  Did texas bully them into teaming up by convincing ou that if texas leaves solo that the big 12 would still be mumped and ou would somehow not find a seat somewhere? 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31402 on: July 28, 2021, 10:47:23 AM »
OU had it made in the big 12 (yeah, they lose to us but it didn't hurt them), and now they'll be an 8-4-ish team routinely.  Did texas bully them into teaming up by convincing ou that if texas leaves solo that the big 12 would still be mumped and ou would somehow not find a seat somewhere?

OU
UT
Ark
Atm
Mizzou
Ole miss
Miss st
??? Auburn prob

They’d do pretty good in that div imo.

Still holding out hope of shadenfraude from OU w/ Mizzou, Ark and ATM coming back (I know this won’t happen).
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31403 on: July 28, 2021, 10:51:39 AM »
I don't think sec is going to let ou feast on jobbers while the good teams are all in a battle royal against each other.

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31404 on: July 28, 2021, 10:58:17 AM »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31405 on: July 28, 2021, 11:07:17 AM »
I don't think sec is going to let ou feast on jobbers while the good teams are all in a battle royal against each other.

Replace Auburn with Alabama
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31406 on: July 28, 2021, 11:09:44 AM »

Replace Auburn with Alabama

It'll probably be more like the pod stuff where you only have 3 every-year opponents and have to rotate through ever-y-one else.

But none of this matters, especially there, because america is choosing to kill itself including football.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31407 on: July 28, 2021, 11:36:01 AM »
K-State should just go ahead and send in their application for an invitation to the SEC too.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #31408 on: July 28, 2021, 11:43:00 AM »
baseball is cheap AF though. and it's a good college sport. football and basketball aren't good college sports. they are good pro sports. volleyball and baseball are where it's at imo.

We should get a wrestling program too. For Metalhead.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31409 on: July 28, 2021, 12:03:06 PM »
baseball is cheap AF though. and it's a good college sport. football and basketball aren't good college sports. they are good pro sports. volleyball and baseball are where it's at imo.

We should get a wrestling program too. For Metalhead.

Should have been done long ago. Would be a near revenue sport here imo. Also, a very cheap sport.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31410 on: July 28, 2021, 12:05:30 PM »
Did you guys know that North Dakota State is in the Big 12 in wrestling? LOFL. I didn't until the Big 12 champ tourney last year.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31411 on: July 28, 2021, 12:07:57 PM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.

Because the Big 12 has autonomy status. And whatever the new Big 12 looks like would definitely have a better media deal than either the aac or mwc, combined.

What is autonomy status and who controls it?  I would think it can be snatched away with our only top tier schools leaving.

The NCAA controls it, and it isn't going away, however it won't stop the usual trolls, alarmists, conspiracy theorists, and dramatists from acting like the NCAA will meet tomorrow just to screw the Big 12.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

That article is 7 years old. At any rate our Revenue is about to take a 25 million dollar annual haircut.

Why would the article need to be newer, it's established law in college athletics? Do we need a current article explaining 12 men's basketball scholarships?

Also why did you bring up what you think our revenue is going to be? You asked about what autonomy is, and I showed you apparently that isn't enough to stop the panic so we're going to talk about projected revenue. Well, the initial point was to show the two reasons why it's ridiculous to think the Big 12 schools would just join the aac. I gave you your two reasons, autonomy and the Big 12s significantly higher media rights payout.

since you seem to have all the answers, whats your solution for the big 12 to continue functioning, while still paying out 35m/year to its' members? Once UT and OU leave that money goes with them.

The Big 12 functioning has nothing to do with payouts. The Big 12 schools will get less money when this deal is over, whether it's in 2022 or 2025. The worst case scenario is the most likely one and that's we take on some group of 5 schools and the payout gets reduced to an AAV of, let's say $17 million. My response is, so what? Why should that matter to you? We've made big money since this last media deal was done, what has that done for your fan experience? Did you have more fun watching games in 1999 when we were broke or in 2020 when we got more tv money than USC, Clemson, and Oregon? Whose fans are happier now, Memphis fans or Tennessee fans, Cincinnati fans or Syracuse fans?

All of this money we've made the past decade is just bloat. It isn't going to you and me and it isn't going to the athletes. We'll be fine. I know it sucks hearing people around the country acting like your school is like Tulane and Tulsa sucks, but we'll be fine.

There's some rich irony about our fans in particular, who have spent the better part of the last decade pining for the 90's, now freaking out because our revenue will fall back and we'll be broke, just like we were when we all fell in love with Kansas State.

I think as it stands now, yes this is possible, and probably the best scenario save PAC texting us the address to the party. If some combo of KU, ISU, OSU leave for the big 10 then this is all out the window and it's everyone for themselves.

I do still think for there to be any sort of viability the B12 needs to find a major program to add, whether it be someone like BYU or trying to persuade a current P5 program to jump ship.
The Big 12 needs to worry less about finding some theoretical school to add that will boost the profile of the conference (there aren't any) and looking for another conference like the AAC to partner with instead.  The only way anyone will care about the conference is it it's part of the playoff formula.  The auto bid is as good as gone, but maybe the conference champion can play the champion of a sister conference for a guaranteed spot.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31412 on: July 28, 2021, 12:25:22 PM »
Explain to me how this makes sense in your head? You think the Big 12 schools are going to leave the Big 12 for the MWC or AAC?

This dude has these eight schools voluntarily disbanding their own conference for a conference with smaller markets and a smaller media deal. LOL what is going on with some of you?

Why/how would the remaining 8 schools stick together? When OU and UT leave, and our existing TV contract is up, we won't be able to command the money anymore.

I guess we don't HAVE to leave, but we'll drop to G5 money and TV deals either way.

Because the Big 12 has autonomy status. And whatever the new Big 12 looks like would definitely have a better media deal than either the aac or mwc, combined.

What is autonomy status and who controls it?  I would think it can be snatched away with our only top tier schools leaving.

The NCAA controls it, and it isn't going away, however it won't stop the usual trolls, alarmists, conspiracy theorists, and dramatists from acting like the NCAA will meet tomorrow just to screw the Big 12.
https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/11321551/ncaa-board-votes-allow-autonomy-five-power-conferences

That article is 7 years old. At any rate our Revenue is about to take a 25 million dollar annual haircut.

Why would the article need to be newer, it's established law in college athletics? Do we need a current article explaining 12 men's basketball scholarships?

Also why did you bring up what you think our revenue is going to be? You asked about what autonomy is, and I showed you apparently that isn't enough to stop the panic so we're going to talk about projected revenue. Well, the initial point was to show the two reasons why it's ridiculous to think the Big 12 schools would just join the aac. I gave you your two reasons, autonomy and the Big 12s significantly higher media rights payout.

since you seem to have all the answers, whats your solution for the big 12 to continue functioning, while still paying out 35m/year to its' members? Once UT and OU leave that money goes with them.

The Big 12 functioning has nothing to do with payouts. The Big 12 schools will get less money when this deal is over, whether it's in 2022 or 2025. The worst case scenario is the most likely one and that's we take on some group of 5 schools and the payout gets reduced to an AAV of, let's say $17 million. My response is, so what? Why should that matter to you? We've made big money since this last media deal was done, what has that done for your fan experience? Did you have more fun watching games in 1999 when we were broke or in 2020 when we got more tv money than USC, Clemson, and Oregon? Whose fans are happier now, Memphis fans or Tennessee fans, Cincinnati fans or Syracuse fans?

All of this money we've made the past decade is just bloat. It isn't going to you and me and it isn't going to the athletes. We'll be fine. I know it sucks hearing people around the country acting like your school is like Tulane and Tulsa, but we'll be fine.

There's some rich irony about our fans in particular, who have spent the better part of the last decade pining for the 90's, now freaking out because our revenue will fall back and we'll be broke, just like we were when we all fell in love with Kansas State.
I'm worried we won't have "rivals" to play. I'm sure they'll be replaced in whatever new world we're in, but it'll take some time

Offline 1992

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31413 on: July 28, 2021, 12:41:18 PM »
Going without rivals is a recipe for disaster/apathy. Look a Nub. ku must be with us, or my Saturdays free-up Big League (pardon pun).  :billdance:  :flush:
Go to hell, Texas

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #31414 on: July 28, 2021, 12:43:33 PM »
Can we just stay at 8?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #31415 on: July 28, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »
Can we just stay at 8?

We will if we get more money that way.  We won't if we can't.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31417 on: July 28, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »
 :lol:

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31418 on: July 28, 2021, 01:00:56 PM »
I will never not enjoy Texas dunking on A&M.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31419 on: July 28, 2021, 01:06:43 PM »
It’s perfect

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31420 on: July 28, 2021, 01:07:13 PM »
I will never not enjoy Texas dunking on A&M.

Totally.  Only good thing out of this deal so far.

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31421 on: July 28, 2021, 02:04:45 PM »
from TTU rivals guy

I cannot confirm all of the details below and, therefore, I am not reporting the following. I want to be very clear about that. But you all subscribe to RRS in large part because you want an inside look at what is going on with Texas Tech athletics, and there's obviously a lot going on. This is an instance, and there will likely be more instances like this in the coming days and weeks, where I feel good enough about certain details lining up with what I've heard elsewhere to pass it along. Let's call it informed chatter.

I spoke with a long-time source with close ties to Oklahoma State today. Here's what he told me:

... Mike Holder, Oklahoma State's former athletic director, has been working with various individuals at Texas Tech with the objective of getting the Red Raiders and Cowboys into the Pac-12.

... Oklahoma State may have a chance at a Big Ten invitation.

... If Oklahoma State goes to the Pac-12 with Texas Tech, it would likely be as part of a foursome that includes Kansas and Kansas State.

... If Oklahoma State ends up in the Big Ten, then Texas Tech, TCU and two others would end up in the Pac-12.

... The source thinks that Oklahoma State wants to stay linked with Texas Tech but that only happens with the Pac-12.

... The reports that the Big Ten is considering USC is great news for Texas Tech and possibly Oklahoma State because Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff will want to keep USC happy and expansion into Texas does that.

... Nothing will happen until the SEC officially accepts Oklahoma and Texas as members, which could happen on Friday at some point. That will get the ball rolling.

see you at Sugarfish for sush brahs
It makes perfect sense that USC would want to leave the PAC as currently constructed but would be lured back if Texas Tech and the west Texas market were to stroll into town.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31422 on: July 28, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
Our best days were ones in which we were criticized for playing a weak schedule and complaining about not getting enough respect.

Yeah days long before $35 million payouts which apparently we now can't function without.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31423 on: July 28, 2021, 02:12:20 PM »
I do sort of wonder if we will be able to pay the bonds on all of the recent expansion of our facilities without that money.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31424 on: July 28, 2021, 02:12:38 PM »
KU would make a lot more sense for the Big 10 than Rutgers. Rutgers didn't make any sense at all, though.

My thoughts exactly. And people need to STFU about them supposedly bringing in the NY market. No one in NY, especially NYC gives a crap about college sports and if they do, it’s usually Notre Dame or Syracuse.

Whose sock is this?