Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4165411 times)

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #27000 on: December 07, 2015, 10:11:51 AM »
"We're trying to work our way through it, but I'm less certain of the outcome than I was before," Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby told ESPN.com on Sunday. ”We don't think we ought to be forced into adding schools in order to have a championship game, but it could end up that way.”

http://www.espn929.com/johnmartin/Big-12-discussing-expansion/22249014

So the Big 10 can raid other conferences in a money grab and than tell the conferences they raided they need to conform to what they currently are. Jesus this sport needs a central governing body.
The big 10 didn't raid anything.  Nebraska left because they wanted out.  They certainly weren't alone, and the big 10 wasn't alone in welcoming the defectors.  The Big 12 is being "punished" for not getting its act together until after 4 of its members bolted.  Blaming the big 10 for the ramifications of the Dan Beebe era incompetence is misplaced.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27001 on: December 07, 2015, 10:15:38 AM »
The big 10 didn't raid anything.  Nebraska left because they wanted out.  They certainly weren't alone, and the big 10 wasn't alone in welcoming the defectors.  The Big 12 is being "punished" for not getting its act together until after 4 of its members bolted.  Blaming the big 10 for the ramifications of the Dan Beebe era incompetence is misplaced.
bullshit. 

also, is there a link explaining why Delaney cares about the Big 12 having a CCG with 10 teams? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27002 on: December 07, 2015, 10:22:23 AM »
bullshit. 

also, is there a link explaining why Delaney cares about the Big 12 having a CCG with 10 teams?
Probably not.  I mean, he wants to take a dump on the Big 12, but I doubt he's going to come out and say that.  He would be stupid to let his biggest current competitor play by a different set of rules (fairly or unfairly) if he can prevent it.

He's competing for playoff spots, visibility, and money.  The bigger surprise to me is that this didn't happen sooner and with all of the other commissioners blocking it.  Frankly, I'm shocked it got this far.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27003 on: December 07, 2015, 10:27:39 AM »
bullshit. 

Probably not.  I mean, he wants to take a dump on the Big 12, but I doubt he's going to come out and say that.  He would be stupid to let his biggest current competitor play by a different set of rules (fairly or unfairly) if he can prevent it.

He's competing for playoff spots, visibility, and money.  The bigger surprise to me is that this didn't happen sooner and with all of the other commissioners blocking it.  Frankly, I'm shocked it got this far.
great.  then screw that bad person.  i, for one, don't care if we play a CCG or not.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #27004 on: December 07, 2015, 10:51:37 AM »
bullshit. 

It's pretty apparent Delaney's agenda is to cripple the Big12 in a further attempt to leverage their ability to poach our members like OU, Texas namely.

And lol at this dude that thinks Delaney wasn't absolutely complicit in Nebraska's departure that set everything in motion the last go around.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27005 on: December 07, 2015, 10:56:56 AM »
Delaney, is a fuckstick.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27006 on: December 07, 2015, 11:07:11 AM »
bullshit. 

It's pretty apparent Delaney's agenda is to cripple the Big12 in a further attempt to leverage their ability to poach our members like OU, Texas namely.

And lol at this dude that thinks Delaney wasn't absolutely complicit in Nebraska's departure that set everything in motion the last go around.

Well, I don't think it's necessarily that dire.  They've been open that they want to expand east, where the majority of their Alumni, and people, are.  The OU/KU stuff is mainly coming from KU fans, so it sounds louder around here than anywhere else.  If you go out East, you'll hear UNC/UVA.  Or you'll hear GT, and Florida State. 

From what I've read, the concern is that if we de-regulate, where does the "deregulation" stop?  Can we make the 13th game between the #1 and #4 team?  What if the ACC wants to deregulate and have one team play Notre Dame every year?  Delany's, and the Big Ten's concern, is about what happens if we get to do whatever we want, and then everyone else starts saying, "Well, I want to crown my champ this way."

They aren't trying to say that we can't have one, but they are saying they want us to make divisions, crown division champs, and then have a CCG.  Which is problematic because how do you split the Big 12 into two five team divisions?  We'd still likely play everyone, so no matter what, you're still going to get the double jeopardy.  Or, if we don't play everyone, then who gets to skip who?

I don't necessarily disagree.  If they can make a CCG using two five team divisions, then whatever.  Makes more sense then just having the #1 and #2 face off.  But no matter what, you're probably getting a rematch.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27007 on: December 07, 2015, 11:27:31 AM »
hopefully delaney's amendment just means we won't have a dumb CCG that no one cares about. It's the best way now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27008 on: December 07, 2015, 11:36:37 AM »
Why not? Some want a CCG, some don't. How can you say no one would want a CCG that happens when it benefits the Big 12's best team and doesn't happen when it doesn't?

Why do you think it took so long to get a playoff and then why we only got a 4 team one when it finally happened?

How do you get a venue and sell tickets for a championship game that you don't know is going to happen until 1 week before kickoff?

same way they do playoffs in football

On a home field without TV because they wouldn't know if they need a window?
I meant to say they could do it like baseball playoffs.

The only TV window we'd be able to get is some shitty espnu or fs2 spot and we'd have to bump an OU vs. Iona basketball game.

Don't get lost in the weeds...it's a good idea and it could work.

Lost in the weeds? The only reason the UPs would ever want a CCG is for TV money and gate revenue, in this scenario we'd lose most of that revenue.

In addition to that, it isn't a good idea. Let's say Baylor beat TCU last week, how absolutely moronic would it be for OU to be playing Baylor this week?

Hey MIR, did you figure it out yet?  If not I'll explain it to you.

LOL, no one is talking about that anymore because I exposed about a half dozen ways in which its problematic, keep up.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #27009 on: December 07, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »
So you got lost in the weeds huh?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27010 on: December 07, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »

Did you miss me asking the question about who determines whether or not its beneficial for both teams? If so please find me just one single hypothetical example where deciding on a Sunday to play a football game six days later you haven't prepared for would benefit both teams and the conference. 

I can't believe we're still on this because you can't think critically.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27011 on: December 07, 2015, 11:59:05 AM »

Did you miss me asking the question about who determines whether or not its beneficial for both teams? If so please find me just one single hypothetical example where deciding on a Sunday to play a football game six days later you haven't prepared for would benefit both teams and the conference. 

Why wouldn't you have prepared for it?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27012 on: December 07, 2015, 12:26:34 PM »

From what I read, they don't want the Big 12 to have the ability to decide who they want in the champ game regardless of division or continuing round robin league play. No one is against having 2 divisions and the winner of those divisions play for a title, but the Big 12 wants to add the champ game and have the ability to have the 2 best teams play each other in the title game no matter what the divisions/schedule looks like.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27013 on: December 07, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »

From what I read, they don't want the Big 12 to have the ability to decide who they want in the champ game regardless of division or continuing round robin league play. No one is against having 2 divisions and the winner of those divisions play for a title, but the Big 12 wants to add the champ game and have the ability to have the 2 best teams play each other in the title game no matter what the divisions/schedule looks like.
If conference discretion is an issue, then why not just have a very clear system set up with 1. fewest conference losses and 2. the tiebreaker going to CFP rankings?  i believe BCS rankings was the 6th or 7th divisional tiebreaker in ye olden tyme.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27014 on: December 07, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
Delany is just looking out for what's in the best interest of the sport, obviously.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27015 on: December 07, 2015, 01:22:33 PM »

Because you wouldn't know that it is necessary until 6 days before the game would be played. Do you have any idea what the conversation was?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27016 on: December 07, 2015, 02:54:35 PM »

Because you wouldn't know that it is necessary until 6 days before the game would be played. Do you have any idea what the conversation was?

So you prepare to have it, just sometimes you won't have it.  Simple enough.  It's just like teams in other conferences playing the last weekend trying for a shot to get in the CCG.  If they win they're in, and if they don't they're not.  This scenario, in the Big 12, would be identical to any other team in any other conference if they lost a key game on the last weekend.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #27017 on: December 07, 2015, 02:57:43 PM »
TV and the location would agree to that

:lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27018 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:14 PM »

So you prepare to have it, just sometimes you won't have it.  Simple enough.  It's just like teams in other conferences playing the last weekend trying for a shot to get in the CCG.  If they win they're in, and if they don't they're not.  This scenario, in the Big 12, would be identical to any other team in any other conference if they lost a key game on the last weekend.

Cool, you figured out the easy part. Now tell me who is deciding who is playing this game and how will it be mutually beneficial to all involved?

Offline MIZMAW

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27019 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
bullshit. 

Of course he's complicit, but he didn't "raid the conference".  Nebraska wasn't kidnapped.  They wanted out and paid a lot of money to leave.  You sound like a jilted wife who blames her ex husband's mistress for breaking up your perfect marriage. 

Delaney's job begins and ends with doing what is in the best interest of the big 10.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27020 on: December 07, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »

Cool, you figured out the easy part. Now tell me who is deciding who is playing this game and how will it be mutually beneficial to all involved?

Well first, do you believe last year it would have been beneficial to the conference to have a team in the playoffs?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27021 on: December 07, 2015, 03:18:39 PM »
I can't imagine a bigger attempt at identity suicide then either OU or Texas going to the BiG.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27022 on: December 07, 2015, 03:59:50 PM »

Well first, do you believe last year it would have been beneficial to the conference to have a team in the playoffs?

You didn't answer the question. I already went over this already but since you apparently can't read I'll lay it out again. The Big 12 concluded it's 2014 season with the #3 team in the country winning by 50 & the #6 team beating the #9 team by a lot. These things took place on the last Saturday of the season, hours before OSU beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game. When the Big 12 games concluded NO ONE thought they would get left out.

Now let's just say that these two games happened on Thanksgiving weekend and not championship weekend. Why in the holy hell would the Big 12 force the #3 school to play either the #4, 5, or 6 team in the country? If Baylor beat TCU in this scenario there is no way to ensure that they would jump OSU, as a matter of fact I think it's pretty safe to say they wouldn't.

So I'll ask one more time, who is making the last minute decision to play these games and are they forcing the teams to play? Also please come up with a hypothetical situation where doing this would be mutually beneficial, or even beneficial to one team. Thanks

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #27023 on: December 07, 2015, 04:07:19 PM »
You didn't answer the question. I already went over this already but since you apparently can't read I'll lay it out again. The Big 12 concluded it's 2014 season with the #3 team in the country winning by 50 & the #6 team beating the #9 team by a lot. These things took place on the last Saturday of the season, hours before OSU beat Wisconsin in the Big 10 championship game. When the Big 12 games concluded NO ONE thought they would get left out.

Now let's just say that these two games happened on Thanksgiving weekend and not championship weekend. Why in the holy hell would the Big 12 force the #3 school to play either the #4, 5, or 6 team in the country? If Baylor beat TCU in this scenario there is no way to ensure that they would jump OSU, as a matter of fact I think it's pretty safe to say they wouldn't.

So I'll ask one more time, who is making the last minute decision to play these games and are they forcing the teams to play? Also please come up with a hypothetical situation where doing this would be mutually beneficial, or even beneficial to one team. Thanks

I'm not sure what all you guys are arguing about (I didn't read the whole history), but I think TCU was #3 and Baylor was something like #6, right?

Are we contending that we don't think the winner of #3 TCU/#6 Baylor wouldn't have gotten in over #6 OSU beating #9 Wisconsin?

Not arguing, but trying to understand what it is we're trying to hash out here.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27024 on: December 07, 2015, 04:10:12 PM »

My answer will be predicated upon you answering a pretty simple rough ridin' question, however difficult it is for you to do.